BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-03-22 10:11 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Swim sighting
Originally posted by Dominion

Now let's talk about how to sight.  We're not talking about lifting your head up and taking multiple strokes or breaking your stroke to doggie-paddle.  All you need to do instead of turning your face back down to exhale into the water is to turn forward and take a quick glance within the flow of your regular motion.  The head then goes back to the side for the inhale portion and back into the water for the exhale.  You never break stride (stroke).  If you see what you wanted to see, then go another 6 to 8 or 10 strokes depending on the course and what you are comfortable with.  If you did not see what you wanted to see, then repeat the process until you do. This should slow you down only a very little bit and should not  cause you to zig-zag as stated in your article. The only time you should break stroke and "pop-up" is if you realize you are way off course or have a major issue with not knowing where you are or are supposed to be.  Then you may have to stop, look around, and figure out where you need to go, but hopefully if you are sighing properly and regularly then that won't happen.

Totally agree with this... This is exactly what I do.

2015-03-22 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
So I did a Duathlon yesterday. It was only my second DU ever and I really enjoyed it. My run speed is totally not where it was a couple yrs ago before I injured my right leg, but I'm coming back... slowly but surely! Here's my RR if interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2015-03-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by ecpasos

Now let's talk about how to sight.  We're not talking about lifting your head up and taking multiple strokes or breaking your stroke to doggie-paddle.  All you need to do instead of turning your face back down to exhale into the water is to turn forward and take a quick glance within the flow of your regular motion.  The head then goes back to the side for the inhale portion and back into the water for the exhale.  You never break stride (stroke).  If you see what you wanted to see, then go another 6 to 8 or 10 strokes depending on the course and what you are comfortable with.  If you did not see what you wanted to see, then repeat the process until you do. This should slow you down only a very little bit and should not  cause you to zig-zag as stated in your article. The only time you should break stroke and "pop-up" is if you realize you are way off course or have a major issue with not knowing where you are or are supposed to be.  Then you may have to stop, look around, and figure out where you need to go, but hopefully if you are sighing properly and regularly then that won't happen.

Totally agree with this... This is exactly what I do.

Maybe saying that my head popped up out of the water was not the best description. It wasn't so extreme as to cause me to virtually stop or have to doggie paddle. I think my head comes out of the water a little more than it should, which is something I need to work on at the pool. I'm sure that poor sighting form caused me to slow down during the race, but nothing so bad as I may have made it sound.

The real point I was trying to get at was the amount of sighting that I did. What I'm talking about potentially doing is sighting A LOT less. Since I know I'm going to be going in a straight line for about 1/4 mile, do I really need to worry about sighting every 6, 8, or 10 strokes? I was thinking more like every 15, 20, or even 25 strokes. And even when I do, I was thinking more of just looking to my side as I rotated my head out of the water to take a breath. Obviously, as I got closer to the turn-around I would need to sight forward more. I average somewhere between 28-30 strokes for 25 meters in the pool. I feel like I can't go that far off course in 25 meters, so why do all of that sighting. It seems to me that it isn't necessary, is more detrimental to my form than it is worth, and caused me to be more stressed. My thoughts were that I would be better off being more relaxed and focusing more on my form. If I have to swim a little more distance because I went a little more off course, it'll be at a faster pace and I'll be more relaxed, which would be better than swimming closer to the true course but at a slower speed and at a higher heart rate.
2015-03-23 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Chris, Do you use a power meter? I do and was wondering if I should plan to pace my Oly at around 90% FTP. It seems to be an average of what I've been reading on forums. Wondering if you had an opinion on that.

Enrique
2015-03-24 6:58 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Last year I would just look at the adjacent swimmers when I took a breath, and if the direction allowed me to follow the shoreline by at least occasionally breathing on that side. Maybe every 25 yards or so I would sight forward. Mostly if I was looking for a turn or if I felt like I was swimming up someones backside. I have not had an ocean swim yet, but have two this year so it should be interesting. Imagine the chop can get pretty good in a large lake too.

Nate
2015-03-24 8:19 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I did Ironman Galveston 70.3 last Feb. and it's a ocean swim. There was a storm that morning with severe T-storms in the forecast all day. The wind was calm and the light rain came straight down. But the bay was choppy and rough with 12-18" waves. Not only sighting but breathing was an issue at first. We swam in a triangle pattern and the first leg was straight into the waves coming in. This was the hardest of the three for me. But, it was all about timing. Wait till you'd feel the next wave lift you up then breathe, look forward, hopefully see a buoy, tuck your head, and dive down. It took me 39 minutes to swim that 1.2 miles, my slowest ever in a 70.3, but I was amazed that guys still swam it in under 25 minutes in those conditions.  ~ Oh, and the storms never came. The rain stopped by the time we got out of the water, overcast, no wind, cool! A very fast race!

I'm interested in hearing some opinions about power meters. About to bite the bullet and purchase my first.

2015-03-24 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by ecpasos Chris, Do you use a power meter? I do and was wondering if I should plan to pace my Oly at around 90% FTP. It seems to be an average of what I've been reading on forums. Wondering if you had an opinion on that. Enrique

90% is reasonable if you're prepared for it.  At that point and higher it becomes a fine line between reaching your bike potential and still being able to run well.  If your estimated bike time is going to be in that 1:00-1:10 range then 90% can be the goal, anything longer than that and you will want to drop your target a little bit.  I would also strongly recommend (if you haven't already) at least one training ride where you hold that % to make sure you can do it, and see how your legs feel afterward.  Make this ride 20-25% longer than the actual race, so around 30 miles.  This should be a tough workout so don't do it often, but at least one "race simulation" type ride to see where you stand is a good idea.  If your training has prepared you then 90% is attainable.

2015-03-25 5:58 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Snuck out of work early and rode outside today. It was magical
2015-03-25 11:19 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

I'm interested in hearing some opinions about power meters. About to bite the bullet and purchase my first.

I bought one in 2012. There's a learning curve for sure, but if you are willing to go through it, I don't think you'll regret it. Personally, being able to measure my output directly in the form of watts versus by delayed reaction via HR is a major improvement to how I train and race. For training purposes, I feel like my training is much more dialed in so I feel I maximize my training sessions. And I can very accurately measure my improvement month to month by testing myself to determine my new FTP number. Also, from a racing perspective, I'm able to better pace myself by knowing what my target power is and using that as a guidepost. Although I haven't used it for IM or HIM yet, I know that using a target power number and sticking to it is a really great way to pace on the bike so that you finish the bike leg as efficiently as possible without burning out the legs for the run. I used to belong to Endurance Nation so I got indoctrinated to the power meter through them. I learned a ton that first year. I do plan to use my PM for my first HIM in September.

Those are the upsides. One downside is, like I said, the learning curve. You will have to invest the money for the equipment, but also money for book(s) and/or seminars on how to use it. And time.. you'll have to invest time to learn. You will have to get training plans which are designed with power/watts in mind. Otherwise, you not getting much out of it. I tend to like Joe Friel's plans so I use his, but there are others. I could be wrong, but I don't think BT has plans for power meter users, except that winter cycling one. I can't think of any other downsides right now...

Enrique
2015-03-25 11:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Originally posted by ecpasos Chris, Do you use a power meter? I do and was wondering if I should plan to pace my Oly at around 90% FTP. It seems to be an average of what I've been reading on forums. Wondering if you had an opinion on that. Enrique

90% is reasonable if you're prepared for it.  At that point and higher it becomes a fine line between reaching your bike potential and still being able to run well.  If your estimated bike time is going to be in that 1:00-1:10 range then 90% can be the goal, anything longer than that and you will want to drop your target a little bit.  I would also strongly recommend (if you haven't already) at least one training ride where you hold that % to make sure you can do it, and see how your legs feel afterward.  Make this ride 20-25% longer than the actual race, so around 30 miles.  This should be a tough workout so don't do it often, but at least one "race simulation" type ride to see where you stand is a good idea.  If your training has prepared you then 90% is attainable.

Thanks Chris. Well, I don't have time for that kind of a sim ride as I'm in my taper now, but I do have some data from prior rides and the DU that I did on Saturday which makes me believe that I can probably target 90% FTP at the beginning of the bike leg and feel it out from there.
2015-03-26 9:34 AM

User image

Subject: Triathlon mags
Anyone have any suggestions for triathlon mags other than Triathlete? I currently have a subscription to Triathlete (as well as Runner's World and Bicycling). The problem is that these magazines are loaded with advertisements an probably only half (or less?) of the magazine is actual content. Still, I devour these magazines and pretty quickly I'm out of stuff to read. I have been considering subscribing to a 2nd triathlon magazine, but there seem to be very few out there. I was considering a subscription to LAVA, but I read at least a couple comments that said it was geared much more toward the Ironman distance so I wasn't sure how much I would get out of it. Anyone subscribe to LAVA? Any other triathlon publications that are good?

2015-03-26 3:55 PM

Does anyone have favorite training plans that combines a half marathon plan with an Oly tri distance? I'm slightly panicking that I have no plan yet. I started with a half marathon group 4 weeks ago (that came with a half plan) and do swim/bike regularly. I guess I'm daunted by trying to moosh the two together, for example using a plan from here and combining with my half plan.

Thanks!
2015-03-26 5:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Snuck out of work early and rode outside today. It was magical

Sounds awesome! I'd like to do that!
2015-03-26 6:16 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Triathlon mags
Originally posted by rjchilds8

Anyone have any suggestions for triathlon mags other than Triathlete? I currently have a subscription to Triathlete (as well as Runner's World and Bicycling). The problem is that these magazines are loaded with advertisements an probably only half (or less?) of the magazine is actual content. Still, I devour these magazines and pretty quickly I'm out of stuff to read. I have been considering subscribing to a 2nd triathlon magazine, but there seem to be very few out there. I was considering a subscription to LAVA, but I read at least a couple comments that said it was geared much more toward the Ironman distance so I wasn't sure how much I would get out of it. Anyone subscribe to LAVA? Any other triathlon publications that are good?

Here is a running mag for New Englanders http://levelrenner.com/. I like this mag because I know a lot of the names that contribute, and it reminds me of how little I have done in running compared to my old teammates. The editor and I were co-captains for our college xc and track teams. One of the regular writers is the wife of one of my high school team mates. I haven't seen him include work from Mario Fraioli, but he is sometimes quoted. He ran at our college the year after we graduated and now he writes for competitor and if you look at the run segments in triathlete they often quote him or are by him. He doesn't seem to feature any triathlon type stuff but another guy we ran with is a QR coach and his wife is one of their sponsored athletes.
2015-03-26 6:26 PM
in reply to: iluvlucy1117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by iluvlucy1117

Does anyone have favorite training plans that combines a half marathon plan with an Oly tri distance? I'm slightly panicking that I have no plan yet. I started with a half marathon group 4 weeks ago (that came with a half plan) and do swim/bike regularly. I guess I'm daunted by trying to moosh the two together, for example using a plan from here and combining with my half plan.

Thanks!

Hi,

From my personal experience, I don't think there are any canned plans like that. I've never found any so always just hacked a triathlon plan to include runs that build up mileage or I hack a running plan to include some swims and rides. Since you have a half marathon plan already going and you do swim/bike already what you have to do is lay it out so that you are trained enough for the Oly tri. Would these be your first races at these distances? Also what are the dates for each?
2015-03-26 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by ecpasos

I bought one in 2012. There's a learning curve for sure, but if you are willing to go through it, I don't think you'll regret it. Personally, being able to measure my output directly in the form of watts versus by delayed reaction via HR is a major improvement to how I train and race. For training purposes, I feel like my training is much more dialed in so I feel I maximize my training sessions. And I can very accurately measure my improvement month to month by testing myself to determine my new FTP number. Also, from a racing perspective, I'm able to better pace myself by knowing what my target power is and using that as a guidepost. Although I haven't used it for IM or HIM yet, I know that using a target power number and sticking to it is a really great way to pace on the bike so that you finish the bike leg as efficiently as possible without burning out the legs for the run. I used to belong to Endurance Nation so I got indoctrinated to the power meter through them. I learned a ton that first year. I do plan to use my PM for my first HIM in September. Those are the upsides. One downside is, like I said, the learning curve. You will have to invest the money for the equipment, but also money for book(s) and/or seminars on how to use it. And time.. you'll have to invest time to learn. You will have to get training plans which are designed with power/watts in mind. Otherwise, you not getting much out of it. I tend to like Joe Friel's plans so I use his, but there are others. I could be wrong, but I don't think BT has plans for power meter users, except that winter cycling one. I can't think of any other downsides right now... Enrique

That's pretty much what I'm expecting, or hoping to see. My wife tells me I'm OCD so a new gadget will only help fuel that! And I LOVE training numbers/tracking. I already have Friel's book The Power Meter Handbook on my Kindle and a few others on my reading list. Thanks for the response.

2015-03-26 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Wind Tunnel

Below is a link to Tri Shop's Facebook page where they uploaded a video from Texas A&M's Wind Tunnel with Cobb Cycling. You don't need to be logged into FB to view it.

A&M's Wind Tunnel

2015-03-26 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

That's pretty much what I'm expecting, or hoping to see. My wife tells me I'm OCD so a new gadget will only help fuel that! And I LOVE training numbers/tracking. I already have Friel's book The Power Meter Handbook on my Kindle and a few others on my reading list. Thanks for the response.

Yeah, if you're a data junkie, you'll love having a power meter!
2015-03-28 3:52 PM

User image

Subject: Tri-Mania Boston
Some thoughts from attending Tri-Mania today in Boston. Overall, the expo wasn't too bad. I was hoping to get some good info out of the first session, Run off the Bike Like a Runner. Totally bogus. That title was totally misleading. The guy presented some OK information, but it was mostly just general triathlon information and had virtually nothing to do with that transition from bike to run. About the only thing specific to the bike/run change was mentioning to make sure you made the transition at a heart rate you could sustain through the run. Since I don't monitor my heart rate, it was not useful to me. I was really hoping for more.

The next seminar was about nutrition in the 24-hour period before the race. Some surprising information from that guy, basically saying not to change your diet (at least not too drastically) just because it is the night before the race. I skipped most of the "Tri Bike Gear Showcase" so I could cruise the booths. Some clothing/gear vendors, nutrition vendors, coaching/services, and a bunch of booths for events. Picked up a few flyers for events including an Olympic about a month after my A race that might be interesting since it is near where my family lives in VT.

After that I went to a swimming Q&A session with Sheila Taormina. She was pretty funny. She talked some about swim technique and then they opened the mic up for questions. I asked about my foot cramps, but I wanted more info so I cornered her after her session was over to pick her brain some more. She was very approachable and obviously passionate about the topic of swimming. She probably spent 10 minutes talking to me about it and she felt that I just needed to relax my ankles while swimming. She won a gold medal at the '96 Olympics as a swimmer and she made the '00 and '04 Olympic triathlon teams and finally the modern pentathlon in '08, so I figured I'd try as she suggested.

Next was another Q&A with Julie Dibens, who finished 3rd in 2010 at the Ironman World Championships in Kona. She talked about more than just triathlon since she is branching out into other endurance sports. Interesting talk. Would have been better if the guy moderating the Q&A wouldn't have been such an attention hog. Sorry, bud, I came to listen to this person that is the keynote speaker, not you! Anyway, last up for me was a seminar called "Achieve Your Breakout Swim". Again, high hopes that were dashed. I left after less than 10 minutes. I could tell she was basically just going to tell you that you needed to do drills to develop and ingrain you technique.

Overall, not bad, but I didn't get as much out of it as I had hoped. I know it would be hard to deliver major insights in a short period of time, but a couple of the seminars were just about a complete waste of time. I'll probably take away 3 things that I feel I can use. It was a good experience but I'm not sure I'd go again next year.
2015-03-28 5:35 PM
in reply to: #5103509

User image

New user
Subject: Indoor triathlon race report
ok bear with me as i am on my phone.

Raced in an indoor Tri this morning. We started out on a spin bike for 12 miles. Everyone had the same style bike. Then we run to a treadmill for 3.1 miles followed by 500yds in the pool.

I set up the spin bike to my height and wait to start. I had my legs spinning as fast as I could make them go. (They did have the resistance set so it wasn't too easy) I finish first in 30:40 and legs feel good and run to the area with the treadmills jumping on the first one that becomes available and decide to go for it (crash and burn style) 2 miles in I'm burning. Back off the speed a little and when there's 1/4 mile left I go for broke and finish the run 21:07 also for fastest overall time. I then pretty much walk briskly to the pool catching my breath before starting the last leg of this triathlon. I was hoping to be around 10 minutes in the pool. That would be about where my swimming has been in practice but I never biked and ran first. So, it was going to get interesting quick. All went very well in the pool. The othe racers were hot on my tail but couldn't quite catch me. The swim was completed in 9:34 for the triathlon win! Total time was 1:03:04 ahead of second place by only 19 seconds!

This was a great event and will definitely be back next year to defend my title! I didn't really think I had a shot as there was a guy there that competed in the world championships last year. So, now I'm gonna start dreaming up some bigger goals.

Very happy with my effort. Everything seemed to go as I planned. (Doesn't happen much lol) Hope yall are having a great weekend!

Scott
2015-03-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Spokane Superheroes 5K Fun Run
I dressed up as Raphael for this fun run, since he was my youngest son's favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Most people were dressed as superheroes, and there were at least as many kids in this race as adults, which was good to see. It was pretty windy, with gusts up to about 23 mph, so pre-race, I spent lots of time chasing trash. And post race, too.

There were not enough porta potties, especially considering there were a couple hundred kids there. This is a really big issue for me because it's a two-hour drive to Spokane, and I drink a lot when I'm driving. I have a little cooler that's stocked with Diet Dr. Pepper, and I drink gallons and gallons and gallons, and today was no different. The line was so long to the porta potties, that there was no way I could get through it in time before the race started, but hey! It's only a half hour race, right? I can hold it for a half an hour.

The race started out with us running a loop around the parking lot before hitting the Centennial Trail, and as we passed the porta potties, a couple women broke away to hit them before continuing. I briefly thought about joining them, but kept going. Bad decision. I spent three miles running on a paved path, jouncing a full bladder with every step, concentrating more on bladder control than anything else, and my time shows it. I think I would have been faster had I just hit the blue rooms as we passed them, and then I could have focused on running.

But, such is life. I did the best I could, and I'm happy with my results. Although it could have been faster, it's still a personal best: 38:51 for 3.29 miles. And hey! Any race where they serve cookies, chocolate milk, and hot dogs afterward and let you climb around inside police cars and play with the loudspeakers RAWKS in my book!

Oh, yeah, and afterward, I won a $75 gift certificate for a month of performance training, which is pretty rad. Especially since it's with my new trainer!

Edited by burner2 2015-03-28 5:58 PM

(Superheroes5KFunRun-Raphael_sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Superheroes5KFunRun-Raphael_sm.jpg (171KB - 3 downloads)

2015-03-28 6:00 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Subject: RE: Indoor triathlon race report
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99
This was a great event and will definitely be back next year to defend my title! I didn't really think I had a shot as there was a guy there that competed in the world championships last year. So, now I'm gonna start dreaming up some bigger goals.

Sweet! Your hard work paid off! What a way to start your tri season! Good job!
2015-03-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Spokane Superheroes 5K Fun Run

Was this a CASA event?  I do the CASA SuperHero Run here every year but haven't got the guts to dress up yet.  ;o)

Congrats on the win, Scott.

2015-03-28 9:36 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Subject: Congrats
Congrats to Scott on his win and burner on her PR!
2015-03-28 9:41 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Spokane Superheroes 5K Fun Run

Was this a CASA event?  I do the CASA SuperHero Run here every year but haven't got the guts to dress up yet.  ;o)

Yes, it was a CASA event. I wasn't sure about dressing up, either, and left my costume in the truck when I picked up the race packet, but almost everyone there was, even if only a t-shirt, so I went back and got it. There were entire families dressed up; it was pretty cool. I made my costume myself, including a turtle shell, which you can't see in the photo. My youngest son loved Raphael, so that's why I chose it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29152 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?