BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-04-19 6:50 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Swim workout question
I'm just curious about what others do during their swim training. So far this year, I have mostly been focused on swimming endurance and doing longer swims (especially since I have only been going to the pool one day a week). After my warm up laps, I set a goal distance for my long swim. I have been stopping once I reach that goal distance. I don't usually NEED to stop and I mostly only stop because I've reached my predetermined goal distance. I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by stopping at my goal distance. If I have the stamina to continue and I'm not feeling like I'm risking any injury, should I just keep going? I wouldn't ever want to make a huge jump in my distance for fear of injury. I recently was able to do a half IM distance swim, but stopped when I reached 2000m. I know I could have kept going, but since that was 250m longer than any other swim I had done I figured it was best to stop for that very reason.

What do others do? Do you continue until exhaustion or near exhaustion? Or do you mostly stop at whatever distance you have planned? I want to be safe, but I also feel like I might be missing out on some training gains by stopping at a pre-planned distance. Not the least of which is teaching myself to feel comfortable swimming while fatigued. Thoughts?

2015-04-19 7:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Swim workout question

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I'm just curious about what others do during their swim training. So far this year, I have mostly been focused on swimming endurance and doing longer swims (especially since I have only been going to the pool one day a week). After my warm up laps, I set a goal distance for my long swim. I have been stopping once I reach that goal distance. I don't usually NEED to stop and I mostly only stop because I've reached my predetermined goal distance. I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by stopping at my goal distance. If I have the stamina to continue and I'm not feeling like I'm risking any injury, should I just keep going? I wouldn't ever want to make a huge jump in my distance for fear of injury. I recently was able to do a half IM distance swim, but stopped when I reached 2000m. I know I could have kept going, but since that was 250m longer than any other swim I had done I figured it was best to stop for that very reason. What do others do? Do you continue until exhaustion or near exhaustion? Or do you mostly stop at whatever distance you have planned? I want to be safe, but I also feel like I might be missing out on some training gains by stopping at a pre-planned distance. Not the least of which is teaching myself to feel comfortable swimming while fatigued. Thoughts?

You shouldn't be swimming 2000m (straight through) on a regular basis. Do it once as a confidence builder to know you can do it, but otherwise you can make better use of your pool time doing shorter more intense sets. Now I know that it may seem counter intuitive to be swimming fast 50's and 100's and 200's because that is not what you will be doing in an Olympic or 70.3 race, but that is how you build your swim engine. Hard, short sets will increase your swim fitness much faster than longer steady swims.  Most people once they have the basic swimming down, can swim longer distances at a slow pace without getting "exhausted" as you put it. I once read, If you can run a mile, you can swim a mile". In many ways its much less taxing to swim a mile once you have a basic arm/stroke endurance. So continuing to swim these longer/slower distances isn't really bringing any change or adaptation to your fitness. Take a step back, start some shorter more intense workouts and do a longish continual swim maybe once a month if you want to just to know you can do it. Give it time and you wll see improvement.

Start with this 1000m workout

6 X 100 @ 2:00

8 X 50 @ 1:00

That is 6 sets of 100m leaving for the next set every 2 minutes. 8 sets of 50m leaving for the next set every 1:00.

You can decrease the time between sets if this is too easy. (For example 6 X 100 @ 1:45)

Hopefully this will leave you somewhat exhausted and a little out of breath in half the time of your 2000 set. More workload, half the time spent.

Edited by Dominion 2015-04-19 7:25 AM
2015-04-19 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Nice day for a ride!

Originally posted by Dominion

Yes, let's see a photo, then we can make an informed judgement!

Haha!  She took a pic with her phone before I realized what she did.  I really expected it to be on Facebook, knowing her.  I informed her if she sent the pic I was wearing them out in public and not under my jeans!

2015-04-19 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I'm just curious about what others do during their swim training. So far this year, I have mostly been focused on swimming endurance and doing longer swims (especially since I have only been going to the pool one day a week). After my warm up laps, I set a goal distance for my long swim. I have been stopping once I reach that goal distance. I don't usually NEED to stop and I mostly only stop because I've reached my predetermined goal distance. I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by stopping at my goal distance. If I have the stamina to continue and I'm not feeling like I'm risking any injury, should I just keep going? I wouldn't ever want to make a huge jump in my distance for fear of injury. I recently was able to do a half IM distance swim, but stopped when I reached 2000m. I know I could have kept going, but since that was 250m longer than any other swim I had done I figured it was best to stop for that very reason. What do others do? Do you continue until exhaustion or near exhaustion? Or do you mostly stop at whatever distance you have planned? I want to be safe, but I also feel like I might be missing out on some training gains by stopping at a pre-planned distance. Not the least of which is teaching myself to feel comfortable swimming while fatigued. Thoughts?

You shouldn't be swimming 2000m (straight through) on a regular basis. Do it once as a confidence builder to know you can do it, but otherwise you can make better use of your pool time doing shorter more intense sets. Now I know that it may seem counter intuitive to be swimming fast 50's and 100's and 200's because that is not what you will be doing in an Olympic or 70.3 race, but that is how you build your swim engine. Hard, short sets will increase your swim fitness much faster than longer steady swims.  Most people once they have the basic swimming down, can swim longer distances at a slow pace without getting "exhausted" as you put it. I once read, If you can run a mile, you can swim a mile". In many ways its much less taxing to swim a mile once you have a basic arm/stroke endurance. So continuing to swim these longer/slower distances isn't really bringing any change or adaptation to your fitness. Take a step back, start some shorter more intense workouts and do a longish continual swim maybe once a month if you want to just to know you can do it. Give it time and you wll see improvement.

That is 6 sets of 100m leaving for the next set every 2 minutes. 8 sets of 50m leaving for the next set every 1:00.

You can decrease the time between sets if this is too easy. (For example 6 X 100 @ 1:45)

Hopefully this will leave you somewhat exhausted and a little out of breath in half the time of your 2000 set. More workload, half the time spent.

Don't forget drills.  Drills are very important!  The better your stroke, the faster, and more efficient you'll be.  Google "Swim Drills" and click on video.  Here's one.  There's also good drill videos here on BT but I think some are level specific.  Look under the Articles/Training/Swim here on BT.  You can do drills as warm ups, mix them in the middle of your workout, or at the end.  Personally I like drills at the beginning and again at the end when I'm tired.

2015-04-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
Monty hope the weather was good for your ride this weekend.

Randy, I hooked up with chris on a training plan. The swim workout have shaved 10-20 sec on my pace.

Raced today. It was a hilly course for the area. Pretty spent now, but had fun and ask things considered happy with my performance. Will write a race report soon.
2015-04-19 3:02 PM

User image

My thought had been to do the long sets while I was extending my distance up to the Olympic distance. Now that I've reached that point and am able to consistently do that distance (barring cramps!), I feel more comfortable about my endurance. But since I only go to the pool one day a week, I had mostly been sticking with with the long distance. I'll soon be going to a schedule of two swim workouts per week. I had been planning on splitting my time 50/50 between the short/fast sets like you mentioned and the long distance ones. But maybe I need to do something more like 75/25? I am reticent to give up my long swims to the tune of only one per month. If I'm only going twice a week, a 75/25 split would mean I was only doing the long swim twice a month instead of once. Yes, I might not gain quite as much speed by doing the one extra set of short/fast laps, but I'll feel more comfortable in my ability to keep doing the long distance. I think I need to do that in order to maintain my confidence in doing that distance, which should help me be more relaxed on race day.

I'm still curious about what people do on their long swim days. Even if it's only one day a month, do you only go to your pre-planned distance? Or do you keep going beyond that if you're feeling good?

2015-04-19 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Here's my last two swim workouts.  Both from my BT training plan.

Hard workout: 2400 yards, 60 minutes

WU: 400 warm-up 
MS: 8x25 ez/hard (one easy/one hard)
8x100 on 1:00 rest - go thru the following set twice: 
- 1.) 75ez – 25 fast 
- 2.) 50ez – 50 fast 
- 3.) 25ez – 75 fast 
- 4.) 100 fast 
200 loosen (easy swim
6 x 100 Pull Drill on 1" rest 
CD: 200 warm down

'Pull' Drill - Focus will be on learning to 'catch' the water with your forearm and pull yourself through the water. If you feel your lats (the muscles under your arm pits that go down the side of your back) engage, then you are starting to get it. If your shoulders are tired, then you are still using too much shoulder and not enough lats.
+++++++++++++
And the one before that:

Easy workout: 1600y, 30 minutes

Nice, easy swim. 
WU 200 yard swim, rest 2 minutes 
MS 
400 yard swim, rest 2 minutes, 
CD 200 yard swim 

Swim easy and focus on form!
++++++++++++

Feel free to look at my training log.  I usually add workout notes so I can go back and review them easy.  I think the setting are for everyone to view.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2015-04-19 4:37 PM
2015-04-19 4:39 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin Monty hope the weather was good for your ride this weekend. Randy, I hooked up with chris on a training plan. The swim workout have shaved 10-20 sec on my pace. Raced today. It was a hilly course for the area. Pretty spent now, but had fun and ask things considered happy with my performance. Will write a race report soon.

Nice, Race Day!  Post the report for us when you're done.  And yes, the weather was GREAT!

2015-04-19 4:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Monty hope the weather was good for your ride this weekend.

Randy, I hooked up with chris on a training plan. The swim workout have shaved 10-20 sec on my pace.

Raced today. It was a hilly course for the area. Pretty spent now, but had fun and ask things considered happy with my performance. Will write a race report soon.

I did more of that last year in the 2nd half of my training "season". I definitely saw improvements. I went from approximately 2:30 per 100m down to more like 2:08 per 100 when doing my full event distance (550 meters). I got to the point where my fastest recorded 50 meter time was 50.5 seconds and fastest 100 was 1:50. I couldn't keep that kind of pace up for a full 550, though.

So I knew there were benefits to doing the speed work and it was absolutely in my plans to start doing that again. Soon. I just hadn't gotten there yet. Even during my warmups, I have gone as low as 1:02 for the first 50 meters and end up averaging a fraction of a second less than 1:10/50 over the course of my long swims. My goal is to try to get that average down to 1:05 or lower for my Olympic in August, which I think is attainable. And I knew I couldn't get there without doing the speed work.

I've never been high on drills. I enjoy swimming, but I'm not sure I would really like doing drills. I was signed up to take some swimming lessons over the winter to improve my form and assumed I'd have to do some drills. But then the class was cancelled and I never found anything suitable as a replacement. I'll try to take the same course this coming winter. For now, I'll stick with my ugly form. It's good enough to get me out of the water and not be DFL. In my second sprint last year, I finished the swim 158/297 overall. So I beat about 47% of the field on the swim. If I had performed up to my training in my first tri, I would have finished the swim 59/155! But I performed extremely poorly that day and ended up 125/155. If I could consistently finish in the top half of the swim, I think I'd be really happy about that. And on a good day, when the stars align, maybe I make it closer to the top 35-40%. I hold no illusions of making a podium. But I do enjoy the competition and the health benefits of all the training.
2015-04-19 6:30 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Spokane River Run
Time: 1:26:46

Spokane River Run 10K. Not quite 10K, but rather 5.9 miles. This was the first time I'd ever run this distance, even as a training run. This was a very tough course, entirely off road on gravel and dirt paths, with a 509 foot gain in elevation. The first half of the race was primarily climbing, and in some places, the trail was pretty eroded with lots of exposed and/or loose rock. Because my left foot still doesn't quite clear the ground, I walked wherever I was concerned about my footing. However, I still tripped a lot, and sometimes fell, but I was able to catch myself with my hands.

The second half of the race involved a pretty daunting combination of ascents and descents, and the trail quality really deteriorated. At one point, we descended to the river and were actually climbing over boulders to get to the trail on the other side. Seriously! Climbing over huge boulders! This was pretty scary for me, and I was afraid I was going to fall over the edge into the raging river. But, I made it, and then around mile five, I took a header into some thistles and brambles. A whole wad of the nasty things got embedded in my shirt and shorts, and I had to stop to pull them out. I finished the run OK and still running, and I think considering the circumstances, I did well, except for the rash and blisters on my arms and back. But, for personal safety reasons, I don't think I am going to do this race again. Trail races are not for me!

I have the Lilac Century Ride next Sunday, which is a 25-mile ride, followed by a 5K run, and then Bloomsday 12K Run the following Sunday. The Lilac Century Ride is really just an opportunity for me to train with a group of people; it's not anything officially timed. Bloomsday is HUGE--more than 50,000 racers are expected. After today's run, I feel pretty confident I can do the distance. I also feel pretty confident about the Olympic triathlon I signed up for in August. I think by then it will be a piece of cake!

Oh, yeah, around mile five, I saw Bigfoot. Two of them. No, I wasn't hallucinating--my friend saw them also! (I have no idea why two guys dressed as Bigfoot were running around in the woods, but hey! It's Spokane! What can I say…)
2015-04-19 6:36 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Right on, man. What keeps you coming back is most important! I grew up swimming. I competed off and on well into my 30's. My coaches hammered me with drills and it showed. Of course they thought we should be able to breathe underwater as well, lol.

2015-04-20 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8

My thought had been to do the long sets while I was extending my distance up to the Olympic distance. Now that I've reached that point and am able to consistently do that distance (barring cramps!), I feel more comfortable about my endurance. But since I only go to the pool one day a week, I had mostly been sticking with with the long distance. I'll soon be going to a schedule of two swim workouts per week. I had been planning on splitting my time 50/50 between the short/fast sets like you mentioned and the long distance ones. But maybe I need to do something more like 75/25? I am reticent to give up my long swims to the tune of only one per month. If I'm only going twice a week, a 75/25 split would mean I was only doing the long swim twice a month instead of once. Yes, I might not gain quite as much speed by doing the one extra set of short/fast laps, but I'll feel more comfortable in my ability to keep doing the long distance. I think I need to do that in order to maintain my confidence in doing that distance, which should help me be more relaxed on race day. I'm still curious about what people do on their long swim days. Even if it's only one day a month, do you only go to your pre-planned distance? Or do you keep going beyond that if you're feeling good?

You said it yourself in the bold above. You've reached the Olympic distance and gone beyond that to 2000.  You feel more comfortable about your endurance, and you should. There is nothing to be gained by continuing to swim monotonous lower intensity laps for 40  minutes straight.  The workout example I gave is as basic as it gets.  A 400-500 warm-up, 1000 main set, and 100-200 cool down.  That's 1700 meters of higher intensity swimming in under an hour. So you start doing this workout and after a few sessions, you can make the 6 X100 on 2:00 and add a couple more to it. So now it is 8 X 100. A few more sessions and you are now making 12 X 100 on 2:00. Add a few extra 50's and now you have a 2500m workout.  Let's say you start the 12 X 100 coming in around 1:50, so 10 seconds rest. As you fatigue that fades to 1:55 and then 1:57 or 58. You're touching the wall, turning and taking 1 good breath, maybe 2 and then it's another hard 100. You're probably holding on for dear life. But you make it back to the wall in under 2 every time with a hard effort. When your done, you've basically just swam 1200m almost straight through at a fast hard effort with only a breath or 2 of rest every 100.  A hard 1200 will do so much more for you (and your confidence) than an easy 1500 or 2000 that you've already done multiple times. Then add the 50's and it just keeps getting better. Make it through that workout and you'll absolutely know you have done something. It will make a moderate 1500 Olympic swim seem like child's play. 

Randy, everybody's fitness and training is a constant evolution. And where you are now is a normal step in the process . But I have a feeling from what you have posted that you are ready to move beyond the steady-state "long swims" to prove to yourself that you can do it, and move to the next level of training. You're ready, you just don't realize it yet. 

Edited by Dominion 2015-04-20 10:49 AM
2015-04-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Spokane River Run

Originally posted by burner2 Time: 1:26:46 Spokane River Run 10K. Not quite 10K, but rather 5.9 miles. This was the first time I'd ever run this distance, even as a training run. This was a very tough course, entirely off road on gravel and dirt paths, with a 509 foot gain in elevation. The first half of the race was primarily climbing, and in some places, the trail was pretty eroded with lots of exposed and/or loose rock. Because my left foot still doesn't quite clear the ground, I walked wherever I was concerned about my footing. However, I still tripped a lot, and sometimes fell, but I was able to catch myself with my hands. The second half of the race involved a pretty daunting combination of ascents and descents, and the trail quality really deteriorated. At one point, we descended to the river and were actually climbing over boulders to get to the trail on the other side. Seriously! Climbing over huge boulders! This was pretty scary for me, and I was afraid I was going to fall over the edge into the raging river. But, I made it, and then around mile five, I took a header into some thistles and brambles. A whole wad of the nasty things got embedded in my shirt and shorts, and I had to stop to pull them out. I finished the run OK and still running, and I think considering the circumstances, I did well, except for the rash and blisters on my arms and back. But, for personal safety reasons, I don't think I am going to do this race again. Trail races are not for me! I have the Lilac Century Ride next Sunday, which is a 25-mile ride, followed by a 5K run, and then Bloomsday 12K Run the following Sunday. The Lilac Century Ride is really just an opportunity for me to train with a group of people; it's not anything officially timed. Bloomsday is HUGE--more than 50,000 racers are expected. After today's run, I feel pretty confident I can do the distance. I also feel pretty confident about the Olympic triathlon I signed up for in August. I think by then it will be a piece of cake! Oh, yeah, around mile five, I saw Bigfoot. Two of them. No, I wasn't hallucinating--my friend saw them also! (I have no idea why two guys dressed as Bigfoot were running around in the woods, but hey! It's Spokane! What can I say&hellip

That sounds like an awesome race! Way more than just your average trail run. A river crossing and bouldering sounds like a lot of fun to me. Not sure if I've mentioned it on here before but I would like to try some adventure racing. Offroad stuff that includes biking, running, and kayaking. Finding checkpoints, 24-72 hours of racing. Kind of like that Ultimate Alaska show, but wouldn't be near as extreme here in the Southeast. 

2015-04-20 2:02 PM

User image

Randy, everybody's fitness and training is a constant evolution. And where you are now is a normal step in the process . But I have a feeling from what you have posted that you are ready to move beyond the steady-state "long swims" to prove to yourself that you can do it, and move to the next level of training. You're ready, you just don't realize it yet.

I think you're right. I know I've felt like I'm at the point where I needed to start integrating the speed work. I would say that I felt nervous that doing more speed work than endurance work would have meant that I would be losing some of my conditioning for the long swim. But I'm ready to give it a go and see where it takes me.

So I have a question. You said, for example, to do 6 X 100 @ 2:00. What do you do if you don't make the 100 within the 2:00? Say it takes you 2:05. Do you then just take a couple seconds to get a breath and then try to remember what time you started? If I go max effort right now, I'm sure for 2 or 3 100s I would be able to go under 2:00. But as I get more winded/fatigued, I may not make it. I'm assuming you wouldn't wait nearly a full minute before starting the next 100 would you? At that point, you're just doing the 100 at max effort, catching a breath, and then going right into the next lap. You're pretty much off the clock and just doing the sets about as fast as you can go?
2015-04-20 2:09 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Adjust your time as necessary. The first time you try this workout you may want to do 6 X 100 @ 2:10.  Make that and go for 2:00 the next time. Like running or biking, set a goal/ benchmark and work towards it. Once you reach it move the bar again. So maybe 2:10 until you get it, then 2:00. Then start adding sets to go to 8 X 100, etc. 

And to address your other point, you won't be losing conditioning for a longer swim. You will be gaining conditioning.  This "speed work" as we are calling it is not just to increase your speed over 100m. Trust me, it is building fitness. It is teaching you to swim harder, but will translate into being able to maintain a faster pace over a longer distance. 

2015-04-21 7:33 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: Intensive training suggestion
Hi,

I've a sprint race in London in 6 weeks, training was going very well up to last week when I badly bruised my back. Meaning I can't get back to training for another week or so I.e only 5 weeks before the race.
Any suggestions on a plan that I could use to get myself up to speed in 5 weeks or should I just go back to my original plan that I was following and just miss out those weeks I was injured I.e go back to week 8 of my initial 12 week plan.

Any thoughts grateful received

Tony.

2015-04-21 8:46 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Intensive training suggestion
Hi Tony,

Bummer about your back. I personally think folks can get too caught up in training plans. They are a useful tool to keep you on track for improvement but I don't think taking 5 days off will have any meaningful impact on your performance in a sprint (unless you let it effect you mentally). In truth, your body has no idea and likely doesn't care if you go a specific distance within a specific time on a given day or whether you followed a plan to the letter. Fundamentally you are training your mind and muscles to be able to handle a certain amount of stress. You can probably do that in lots of ways without following any particular plan. I would just pick up your plan where you left off and don't give it a second thought. BTW, if you are not familiar with him, you might do some quick research on a guy named Sami Inkinen. I think he is the age group world champ and ran a 9 hour ironman on 10 hours a week of training (those might not be exact but it was around that I think). Granted, he's probably a freak but his philosophy is less is more, with a greater focus on quality than quantity. As I get older and more prone to potential injury, that seems to make a lot better sense to me. Good luck.

Todd
2015-04-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by TonyAbbott Hi, I've a sprint race in London in 6 weeks, training was going very well up to last week when I badly bruised my back. Meaning I can't get back to training for another week or so I.e only 5 weeks before the race. Any suggestions on a plan that I could use to get myself up to speed in 5 weeks or should I just go back to my original plan that I was following and just miss out those weeks I was injured I.e go back to week 8 of my initial 12 week plan. Any thoughts grateful received Tony.

Ease back into training that first week. By your second week back you should be able to jump back into your plan where you left off.  You won't lose much fitness in a week and should easily be back in stride by race day.

2015-04-23 12:18 AM

User image

Alright sorry it has taken so long. I have had a number of really tough days at work.
Second race of the season this past Sunday. Another pool swim sprint 300y/10m/3.1. Slightly bigger field here with a number of the same athletes as well.

Here is the link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Another single file swim. I seeded at 1:40 when I registered and thought about changing to a 1:35 but decided this race I would try to improve my transitions and would swim in a tri top. The swim went well. Passed two people, and one in the middle of a lap as he wouldn't hold at the wall.
Left the pool at 4:50-4:55. Felt good and happy with this time.

T1 went smooth could be faster without socks.

The bike went good. One of the guys I passed in the pool left TA before me. He was at my last race and I knew we were close on the bike, and he beat me on the run. I passed him and pushed for the next racer (Ed). There were a lot of hills and the course was fun. Felt a little more confident opening it up on the downhills with a better road surface underneath me than last month. Maxed out at 37 mph, which maybe a record for me. I also had to use my small ring which was also a first.. My average speed was similar this race to the last. The winner (same as last month) was 1.5 mph slow this race.
Ed and I jockied a little but I passed him at mile 9 and didn't see him again till the run. Later he told me he had purchased a power meter and was racing by power.

T2 went okay with exception of loosing a shoe, and having to go back for it.

Off on the run I started out and ED was on my heals (he had a better transition again). I stay right behind him for about half a mile and his pace was to fast for me. I slow from a 7:30 to 9:40. Although there were some uphills and downhills overall the trend for the first half was winding up a hill and then winding down. First mile was 9:15 pace, then 9:20, and finished with 9:05. I got passed by two people and wasn't able to respond. I did push the last 0.3 mile pretty hard as i heard foot steps.

Once again I was limited by the run. Decided to focus morn on the run and take a swim workout off the books. That being said I haven't ran yet this week. Hoping for a bike and run tomorrow after I get off work in the morning.
2015-04-23 8:42 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Alright sorry it has taken so long. I have had a number of really tough days at work.
Second race of the season this past Sunday. Another pool swim sprint 300y/10m/3.1. Slightly bigger field here with a number of the same athletes as well.

Here is the link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I know you're disappointed with your run, but sounds like a pretty good race to me. As always, I'm jealous of your swimming! I've only given a little thought to trying the bike and run without socks, but to me it just isn't worth it to save a few seconds in transition. I'd rather feel comfortable and not have to worry about blisters! Do you roll your socks? I read an article somewhere that mentioned it and I used that method last year during my two tris and it seemed to work well. With the socks rolled up, they go on pretty quickly even when your feet are wet. Basically, you put the socks on (pre-race) and then roll them down until there's only about enough room to get your toes in. That way, when you put them on, you only need to get your toes in and then roll them back up. Yeah, I might lose 20 seconds in T1, but I'll take that over getting a blister. Maybe if you train enough without socks then you could build up the toughness of your skin and you wouldn't blister, but personally I just do everything with socks on.

I did myself a big favor last year and incorporated some hill work into my cycling workouts. Sounds like you survived pretty well on the bike. I don't know how your time/speed compares to your training, but it seems like you did well. I also didn't have particularly good run times last year. Although, I'd say my run times during my two sprint tris were almost on par with what I was doing in 5Ks. After my last tri, I concentrated on my running over the two months following that and really made some gains.

Remember, it's still only April, so there's plenty of time still to train. When is your "A" race?
2015-04-25 7:30 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: 5K Day!

Heading out for a 5K, high school band fundraiser.  Figured I'd make a training day out of it.  45 minute run to the event, 5K, 45 minute run home. 

Have a great weekend!

2015-04-25 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin Alright sorry it has taken so long. I have had a number of really tough days at work. Second race of the season this past Sunday. Another pool swim sprint 300y/10m/3.1. Slightly bigger field here with a number of the same athletes as well. Here is the link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Another single file swim. I seeded at 1:40 when I registered and thought about changing to a 1:35 but decided this race I would try to improve my transitions and would swim in a tri top. The swim went well. Passed two people, and one in the middle of a lap as he wouldn't hold at the wall. Left the pool at 4:50-4:55. Felt good and happy with this time. T1 went smooth could be faster without socks. The bike went good. One of the guys I passed in the pool left TA before me. He was at my last race and I knew we were close on the bike, and he beat me on the run. I passed him and pushed for the next racer (Ed). There were a lot of hills and the course was fun. Felt a little more confident opening it up on the downhills with a better road surface underneath me than last month. Maxed out at 37 mph, which maybe a record for me. I also had to use my small ring which was also a first.. My average speed was similar this race to the last. The winner (same as last month) was 1.5 mph slow this race. Ed and I jockied a little but I passed him at mile 9 and didn't see him again till the run. Later he told me he had purchased a power meter and was racing by power. T2 went okay with exception of loosing a shoe, and having to go back for it. Off on the run I started out and ED was on my heals (he had a better transition again). I stay right behind him for about half a mile and his pace was to fast for me. I slow from a 7:30 to 9:40. Although there were some uphills and downhills overall the trend for the first half was winding up a hill and then winding down. First mile was 9:15 pace, then 9:20, and finished with 9:05. I got passed by two people and wasn't able to respond. I did push the last 0.3 mile pretty hard as i heard foot steps. Once again I was limited by the run. Decided to focus morn on the run and take a swim workout off the books. That being said I haven't ran yet this week. Hoping for a bike and run tomorrow after I get off work in the morning.

Nice race! Sounds like a great swim and bike. Keep working on that run, it will come along with consistent work.

2015-04-26 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Gun Time or Chip Time?

I have a bit of a rant.  Twice now, with the same race company, I have watched awards given out based on gun time and not chip time.  It cost me the Male Masters award a few weeks ago and maybe the same thing this weekend.  I started my Garmin on the START line and stopped it 10-15 seconds after I cross the FINISH line.  I had 22:26 which really would be 22:16 or so if I would've stopped it at the line.  The timing company has me at 23:00.  That's a lot!!  On their website a few weeks ago they had the results listed by gun time and then changed it a few days later to sort by chip time.  Too late!!  The results from this weekend are in a pdf type format and in gun time.  I have an email into them to see if it's something they do or if it's something the event host requested.

What do you guys usually see in race results, gun or chip?

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2015-04-26 6:38 PM
2015-04-26 6:51 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Gun Time or Chip Time?

WOW!  A person from the race services company just called me to talk about my questions regarding gun or chip!  On a Sunday evening!!

He said it's a US Track and Field rule that usually the gun time decides overall and masters winners.  Chip time is for age groups.  They made a mistake and started the race a few weeks ago four minutes early.  I wasn't at the line during the start, thus a slow gun time.  This weekend was on me, I was at the back of the group talking to my wife when they started.

Most of you probably know this already.  News to me, lol.

2015-04-27 9:35 AM

Downingtown , Pennsylvania
Subject: 5k Story with a Happy Ending
I had a minor pleasant surprise on Saturday. My firm sponsors a local 5k here in PA every year and we get a couple of free entries. I am not a big fan of the 5k distance so I usually only do them on special occasions with my family (Thanksgiving, July 4 etc.) or if they are free. Anyway, I figured I'd jump into this one and be back home before the wife and kids got up. If nothing else, it would be a short tempo run and I was curious to see how I would feel after running on the treadmill all winter. I ran it in 7:54/mi. I was pretty disappointed at first but chalked it up to the fact that it's a very hilly course. So hilly, in fact, that I don't think I will do this race again - even for free. Anyhow, I grabbed a bottle I water and jumped in my car as soon as I finished. Later in the day I logged on to check the official results and it turns out I placed 3rd in the 40-49 age group and 21st overall out of 120+/-. I guess in my disappointment I hadn't really accounted for the fact that it was a tough course for everyone! Now I just have to come to grips with the fact that I closer in age to 49 than I am to 40.

Have a great week!

Todd

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28954 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?