BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-05-05 10:23 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Nice night
Beer has selenium and its good for your muscles.

Nate

2015-05-05 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Calm, 71 degrees, it would be a really nice, comfortable night for a run. Hmmm, but I'm sitting on the couch having a beer! Pre-Cinco de Mayo Corona for me! I might just have another.

Me too!  Except mines an apricot wheat ale, not very Cinco de Mayo, lol.

2015-05-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: #5112796

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed
First group ride ever last night. There is a local cycle group and a tri group that meets here on Tuesday nights. The stars aligned last night such that I was able to go.

There was thirty plus folks in the group. Someone dumped their bike within the first few miles but was okay. It was alot different trying to stay in a tight group. We started at a 18 mile pace and then settled in at about 22mph (the leaders we faster at about 25 mph, I couldn't hold the pace longer than a mile). We went just over 25 miles and I averaged over 20 mph. I was a great workout and my fastest ride over 15 miles. I'm certainly feeling it today. Hope to make it out again soon.
2015-05-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Calm, 71 degrees, it would be a really nice, comfortable night for a run. Hmmm, but I'm sitting on the couch having a beer! Pre-Cinco de Mayo Corona for me! I might just have another.

Me three! I had a beer called Monkey Knife Fight pale ale. Nice name huh? It was pretty tasty.
2015-05-06 10:01 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by nrpoulin

First group ride ever last night. There is a local cycle group and a tri group that meets here on Tuesday nights. The stars aligned last night such that I was able to go.

There was thirty plus folks in the group. Someone dumped their bike within the first few miles but was okay. It was alot different trying to stay in a tight group. We started at a 18 mile pace and then settled in at about 22mph (the leaders we faster at about 25 mph, I couldn't hold the pace longer than a mile). We went just over 25 miles and I averaged over 20 mph. I was a great workout and my fastest ride over 15 miles. I'm certainly feeling it today. Hope to make it out again soon.

Yah, group rides are like mini-races. Sounds like you enjoyed it.
2015-05-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I did the American Diabetes Association's "Tour de Cure" ride this past Sunday. 50 miles through Napa Valley. Here's a pic. It was a lot of fun with friends and I raised around $600 or so for the cause.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17273#

2015-05-06 9:40 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by ecpasos

I did the American Diabetes Association's "Tour de Cure" ride this past Sunday. 50 miles through Napa Valley. Here's a pic. It was a lot of fun with friends and I raised around $600 or so for the cause.

Love those shirts!
2015-05-07 12:32 PM

User image

Me three! I had a beer called Monkey Knife Fight pale ale. Nice name huh? It was pretty tasty.

I love IPA's my new fav is Lagunitas Maximus. Will have to look for the Monkey Knife Fight.

Nate
2015-05-08 7:47 AM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Nutritional Content
I am probably not nearly as well educated on nutrition as I should be for someone considering an endurance even that will take at least 3 hours to complete. I might be too stuck in my ways to change now, but I'm at least willing to entertain the idea. When I went to the Tri-Mania expo in Boston back in March, one of the seminars I attended was about pre-race nutrition. Also, there was a vendor down on the floor giving away some free samples. They had a fruit pouch that I tried and I thought it was pretty decent. I don't remember the brand name, but I know there are numerous products out on the market. I'm curious about comparing the products based on nutritional content, but also on price. The attached image shows the nutritional content of two products. To me, they look almost exactly the same. Can anyone tell me how these might be different or if there is any reason to think one is better than the other? Other than the one on the right having sodium and potassium, they seem to be on par. Can anyone help me with my comparison?

Thanks!
Randy

(Pouch_Comparison.png)

Attachments
----------------
Pouch_Comparison.png (317KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: #5113382

I'm am still learning tons myself with endurance nutrition but if I had to choose I would go with the second for the reasons you gave - they have a measurable amount of potassium and sodium both which help with muscle cramping. Granted but the sodium content is minimal but better then nothing?

I know quite a few people who do the pouches and even make their own since the ability is now available.
2015-05-08 10:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Nutritional Content
Originally posted by rjchilds8

I am probably not nearly as well educated on nutrition as I should be for someone considering an endurance even that will take at least 3 hours to complete. I might be too stuck in my ways to change now, but I'm at least willing to entertain the idea. When I went to the Tri-Mania expo in Boston back in March, one of the seminars I attended was about pre-race nutrition. Also, there was a vendor down on the floor giving away some free samples. They had a fruit pouch that I tried and I thought it was pretty decent. I don't remember the brand name, but I know there are numerous products out on the market. I'm curious about comparing the products based on nutritional content, but also on price. The attached image shows the nutritional content of two products. To me, they look almost exactly the same. Can anyone tell me how these might be different or if there is any reason to think one is better than the other? Other than the one on the right having sodium and potassium, they seem to be on par. Can anyone help me with my comparison?

Thanks!
Randy

For full disclosure, the pouch on the left is 3.17 oz and the one on the right is 4.23 oz. So the one on the left is a little more condensed. But I'm more concerned with comparing the nutritional content. Outside of needing a little more volume to deliver the same nutrition, is there any discernible difference between these two products?

Edited by rjchilds8 2015-05-08 10:17 AM

2015-05-08 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by burner2

Love those shirts!

Yeah. We get a lot of people asking to take pictures of the logo
2015-05-08 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Thanks!
Randy

For full disclosure, the pouch on the left is 3.17 oz and the one on the right is 4.23 oz. So the one on the left is a little more condensed. But I'm more concerned with comparing the nutritional content. Outside of needing a little more volume to deliver the same nutrition, is there any discernible difference between these two products?

One thing that I notice is that the one on the left has added dextrose (a simple sugar) as an ingredient. Doing a quick read on Google results shows me that this is a fast acting sugar used more typically for shorter/faster/harder type of events and not so much for providing sustained energy during endurance events. Interestingly, fruit is composed of part fructose and part glucose (a simple sugar also). So taking that product already means that some simple sugars are being consumed. Why they also add dextrose is not totally clear.
2015-05-08 6:59 PM

User image

One thing that I notice is that the one on the left has added dextrose (a simple sugar) as an ingredient. Doing a quick read on Google results shows me that this is a fast acting sugar used more typically for shorter/faster/harder type of events and not so much for providing sustained energy during endurance events. Interestingly, fruit is composed of part fructose and part glucose (a simple sugar also). So taking that product already means that some simple sugars are being consumed. Why they also add dextrose is not totally clear.

I did find the one on the left at Dick's Sporting Goods and the nutrition information on the back said that it had 200mg of potassium. So it has some, just not as much as the one on the right. Anyone out there have some serious nutrition knowledge that could tell me if these things are basically the same? I'm guessing that these are the same on a nutritional level, which would seem to be the case based on the ingredients and the nutrition facts on the back. But it would be nice if someone with some knowledge in this area could chime in.
2015-05-08 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by ecpasos One thing that I notice is that the one on the left has added dextrose (a simple sugar) as an ingredient. Doing a quick read on Google results shows me that this is a fast acting sugar used more typically for shorter/faster/harder type of events and not so much for providing sustained energy during endurance events. Interestingly, fruit is composed of part fructose and part glucose (a simple sugar also). So taking that product already means that some simple sugars are being consumed. Why they also add dextrose is not totally clear.
I did find the one on the left at Dick's Sporting Goods and the nutrition information on the back said that it had 200mg of potassium. So it has some, just not as much as the one on the right. Anyone out there have some serious nutrition knowledge that could tell me if these things are basically the same? I'm guessing that these are the same on a nutritional level, which would seem to be the case based on the ingredients and the nutrition facts on the back. But it would be nice if someone with some knowledge in this area could chime in.

Wish I could help. Don't know enough to make an informed decision.

2015-05-09 2:19 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
I don't know much, just what I learned through a sports nutrition class through coursera.org last summer. (If you haven't heard about Coursera, they offer free classes on hundreds of subjects from major universities around the world.) Looking at these two, the main differences I see are the one on the right has more Vitamin C and E than the one on the left. Vitamin C may not really be important here (don't we all pig out on bananas and orange slices after races?), but Vitamin E may be: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701711So, that might be something to consider. But, then there's this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/1/142.full And then there's this: http://www.physoc.org/press-release/2014/vitamin-c-and-e-supplement...

You might try them out during training and see if one works better for you. I'm pretty skeptical of studies and the claims companies make with regards to the effectiveness of their products.

Edited by burner2 2015-05-09 2:28 AM

2015-05-09 6:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by burner2

I don't know much, just what I learned through a sports nutrition class through coursera.org last summer. (If you haven't heard about Coursera, they offer free classes on hundreds of subjects from major universities around the world.) Looking at these two, the main differences I see are the one on the right has more Vitamin C and E than the one on the left. Vitamin C may not really be important here (don't we all pig out on bananas and orange slices after races?), but Vitamin E may be: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701711So, that might be something to consider. But, then there's this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/1/142.full And then there's this: http://www.physoc.org/press-release/2014/vitamin-c-and-e-supplement...

You might try them out during training and see if one works better for you. I'm pretty skeptical of studies and the claims companies make with regards to the effectiveness of their products.

Thanks for the articles. Interesting that the last one was supplementing with amounts that were extremely high relative to the RDA. For example, the RDA for Vitamin C is 90 mg, but that study was supplementing with 1000 mg a day! Same with Vitamin E, RDA is 15 mg, the study used 235 mg. The article does say "The National Health Service (NHS) says taking less than 540mg vitamin E and 1000mg vitamin C supplements per day is unlikely to cause any harm."

Anyway, I think I've convinced myself that they're close enough that I don't have to worry about it. The biggest difference comes down to the price. I was able to find the brand that was given out as a free sample at the Tri-Mania and it was called Fuel for Fire. The difference with that product is that it had 10g of protein added to each pouch. They're more expensive than the others. If you buy a 6-pack from their web site, it'll cost you $17.99.

Now, for the big reveal. The reason I didn't reveal the actual products was so that there wasn't any bias based on brand name. The only real difference I can see is the price. Oh, yeah, and naturally, advertising! Like burner, I'm skeptical of some of the claims these companies make about their products. The Powerbar version on the left costs about $24 for a 12-pack on Amazon. But I can buy a 12-pack of the Gerber ones for $15. Yes, I may look a little silly eating "baby" food and I give you all free permission to laugh if you wish. I like the pouches and keep a box at my desk to have as a mid-day snack if I feel hungry. And at only 62.5% of the cost of the Powerbar, I won't feel guilty about indulging.

(Pouch_Front.png)

Attachments
----------------
Pouch_Front.png (327KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-09 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by burner2 I don't know much, just what I learned through a sports nutrition class through coursera.org last summer. (If you haven't heard about Coursera, they offer free classes on hundreds of subjects from major universities around the world.) Looking at these two, the main differences I see are the one on the right has more Vitamin C and E than the one on the left. Vitamin C may not really be important here (don't we all pig out on bananas and orange slices after races?), but Vitamin E may be: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10701711So, that might be something to consider. But, then there's this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/1/142.fullAnd then there's this: http://www.physoc.org/press-release/2014/vitamin-c-and-e-supplement... You might try them out during training and see if one works better for you. I'm pretty skeptical of studies and the claims companies make with regards to the effectiveness of their products.
Thanks for the articles. Interesting that the last one was supplementing with amounts that were extremely high relative to the RDA. For example, the RDA for Vitamin C is 90 mg, but that study was supplementing with 1000 mg a day! Same with Vitamin E, RDA is 15 mg, the study used 235 mg. The article does say "The National Health Service (NHS) says taking less than 540mg vitamin E and 1000mg vitamin C supplements per day is unlikely to cause any harm." Anyway, I think I've convinced myself that they're close enough that I don't have to worry about it. The biggest difference comes down to the price. I was able to find the brand that was given out as a free sample at the Tri-Mania and it was called Fuel for Fire. The difference with that product is that it had 10g of protein added to each pouch. They're more expensive than the others. If you buy a 6-pack from their web site, it'll cost you $17.99. Now, for the big reveal. The reason I didn't reveal the actual products was so that there wasn't any bias based on brand name. The only real difference I can see is the price. Oh, yeah, and naturally, advertising! Like burner, I'm skeptical of some of the claims these companies make about their products. The Powerbar version on the left costs about $24 for a 12-pack on Amazon. But I can buy a 12-pack of the Gerber ones for $15. Yes, I may look a little silly eating "baby" food and I give you all free permission to laugh if you wish. I like the pouches and keep a box at my desk to have as a mid-day snack if I feel hungry. And at only 62.5% of the cost of the Powerbar, I won't feel guilty about indulging.

I wanted to comment yesterday but I was just too busy.  In your original post I noted you mentioned pre-race nutrition.  I didn't know if you were considering these in that category or not.  My first thought was, "This is nothing like my pre-race nutrition for a race over 3 hours."  I might use one of these during the race and maybe suck one down 10-15 prior to start.  I consume 200-300 calories per hour while racing so one having 100 cal over the other at 80 would be something I would look at.  I never like the added sugars in the one on the right, as someone already mentioned, although the little 1g of protein caught my eye.  But what kind of protein?  My final comment would be to get the brand names and hit their website for any other info you can find on the contents.

Because I was late in the posting and you let the cat out of the bag  I know what you're looking at.  So, I went the Gerber site and check it out.  Although these are a healthy little snack, like you mentioned for keeping in your desk, I wouldn't race or train with them.  The ingredients and description of these are WAY different then that of GU or Hammer gels.  The latter is designed to sustain an athlete while expending a heavy work load.

Gerber Graduates web site:

details: Gerber Graduates Grabbers squeezable fruit or fruit/veggie pouches are made with 100% natural fruits and vegetables to make snacking on the go super fun. Make it easy for your toddler to self-feed on-the-go.

GU Energy Gel web site:

Created for daily training and competition, GU Energy Gel packs energy-dense calories in a portable packet to help sustain energy demands of any duration or activity. The 100-calorie packet contains carbohydrates (maltodextrin and fructose) that use non-competing pathways to help maximize carbohydrate absorption and utilization while diminishing stomach distress. Sodium, the primary electrolyte lost in sweat, aids in hydration by maintaining water balance. The branched-chain amino acids (leucine, valine, isoleucine) may reduce mental fatigue and decrease muscle damage.

There's a reason these pouches cost $1 - $1.50 each.  Lastly, nutrition is a very personal matter.  What works for one person could be detrimental to another during an endurance race.  Try some different products and see how your body reacts.  Just do it in time to settle in and train consistently before your race.

Edit: Don't forget your recovery drink for anything over an hour!!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2015-05-09 8:59 AM
2015-05-09 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RAIN!!

Rain, rain, rain, and more rain!  I have training to get in!!  

Looks like I'll be on the trainer for a few hours tonight when I get home from work.  Blah!  

2015-05-09 5:38 PM

User image

Although these are a healthy little snack, like you mentioned for keeping in your desk, I wouldn't race or train with them.  The ingredients and description of these are WAY different then that of GU or Hammer gels.  The latter is designed to sustain an athlete while expending a heavy work load.

I should have been more clear. You're right, I wouldn't be looking for these to be my main source of fuel on race day. I like the GU gels and keep these on hand on a regular basis, even during training. I was more thinking about using these to add a few calories in the hour or so prior to the race. I'd probably be up at least a couple hours before the race and would have some kind of pre-race breakfast. It might be a couple pieces of toast with peanut butter and a banana, maybe 2. With me, coffee is essential to life just like air and water! So that's a given. But after getting to the race venue, getting checked in, body marked, and getting my transition area set up, I might want to supplement with some extra calories and I was thinking that these would be a good choice to add maybe 200 extra.

Once the race starts, I'll have my GU gels on my bike and I keep a Clif Bar in my bag in transition to grad a quick bite or two during T1 and T2. My tri shorts have a couple pockets for gels as well. So for the Olympic event I'll either stuff another gel in there or I'll put one in my hydration belt if I decide to go that route. But if I'm feeling like I want something a little more filling to put in my stomach, would it be such a bad thing if I knocked back one of these fruit pouches maybe in T2?
2015-05-09 5:44 PM

User image

Subject: RE: RAIN!!

Looks like I'll be on the trainer for a few hours tonight when I get home from work.  Blah!  

I'm with you there. I'd much rather ride outside. I find the trainer extremely boring. It makes it difficult for me to do long training sessions on the indoor trainer. I'm not sure I've done more than 50 minutes. I have to try to find something really good on TV to keep me in the saddle that long.

2015-05-10 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I'm with you there. I'd much rather ride outside. I find the trainer extremely boring. It makes it difficult for me to do long training sessions on the indoor trainer. I'm not sure I've done more than 50 minutes. I have to try to find something really good on TV to keep me in the saddle that long.

Right!  I had a two hour ride scheduled yesterday so I got home from work and rode the trainer for 60 minutes and stopped, it was painful!  This morning I got up at 3am and rushed to work (yes, I run at work sometimes) so I could get in my two hour run between storm cells.  It worked out great!  The lightning started about 90 minutes in but at the 110 minute mark I chickened out and came inside.  It's been raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock!  More flood and tornado warnings all day.  *sigh*

2015-05-11 5:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin First group ride ever last night. There is a local cycle group and a tri group that meets here on Tuesday nights. The stars aligned last night such that I was able to go. There was thirty plus folks in the group. Someone dumped their bike within the first few miles but was okay. It was alot different trying to stay in a tight group. We started at a 18 mile pace and then settled in at about 22mph (the leaders we faster at about 25 mph, I couldn't hold the pace longer than a mile). We went just over 25 miles and I averaged over 20 mph. I was a great workout and my fastest ride over 15 miles. I'm certainly feeling it today. Hope to make it out again soon.

Keep going back whenever you can. You'll learn a lot and most likely get a better workout than you would on your own. If you want to be faster, train with people who are faster.

2015-05-11 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

The trainer is boring, no way around it. I consider it a necessary evil of winter training, but can't wait to get outside when spring finally arrives. The 50 minutes you mentioned is really all you need if you are racing sprint and Olympic distances. I used to force myself to do longer trainer rides but found that I could get away with just an hour if I made it count. Keep the intensity high and try to make a game out of it. Anything to keep the mind engaged and make it bearable. The trainer works, it will pay off!

2015-05-11 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou Although these are a healthy little snack, like you mentioned for keeping in your desk, I wouldn't race or train with them.  The ingredients and description of these are WAY different then that of GU or Hammer gels.  The latter is designed to sustain an athlete while expending a heavy work load.
 Once the race starts, I'll have my GU gels on my bike and I keep a Clif Bar in my bag in transition to grad a quick bite or two during T1 and T2. My tri shorts have a couple pockets for gels as well. So for the Olympic event I'll either stuff another gel in there or I'll put one in my hydration belt if I decide to go that route. But if I'm feeling like I want something a little more filling to put in my stomach, would it be such a bad thing if I knocked back one of these fruit pouches maybe in T2?

I've used GU for a long time now but I just ordered Hammers gel in the bulk bottle with a flask.  It's cheaper (I'm pretty frugal!) and lots of comments saying these are less messy.  I can't seem to eat a GU pouch w/o getting it all over my hands unless I'm standing still in the kitchen.  I saw a race where they announced NO gel pouches on the run route, only bulk jars that would require you to have your own flask.  Seems too many people were tossing the empties on the road the year before and the residence complained.

Also, I ordered their Perpetuem.  Hammer claims this can be your sole calorie source for training/racing over three hours and if you choose to add gels, electrolyte tabs, etc. you can.  Which I will.  My race is on June 28th in a very hot area of Texas so I'm planning the nutrition carefully.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29157 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?