BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-08-25 7:34 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed

Originally posted by nrpoulin Tony awesome job and way to finish strong. What do you have planned for the off season? Chris way to get your coworker. How did you slip by slowly or did you drop the hammer? When is your 70.3? Randy. The water is fantastic, beautiful, and clear. I think the bike course is challenging, but likely more so from where I race and train. Would recommend it. It was a nice race

The 70.3 has been pushed back to next year for me. I'm looking at maybe Charleston in April. We (my brother and I) were originally looking at the Rocketman half for this year in October, but they had so many problems getting their permits and such that it looked like the race wasn't going to happen. I think in the end they got it worked out, but at the time we started looking for an alternative year end race for this year and settled on the Great Floridian. We'll be racing the hybrid 1/3 distance of .8 swim, 38 mile bike, and 8.7 mile run, so should be interesting. I'm hoping that the little bit shorter swim and a little bit longer run (than standard olympic) will help me close that gap a little in our rivalry.

2015-08-26 12:42 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Americus, Georgia
Subject: thinking ahead to winter training
So, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is of using HR training as opposed to any other type of training, in the winter or otherwise. And if you use HR training, how many zones are you training in? I've seen a great variety of conflicting information out there.
Beyond HR training, I would love to hear all opinions, good, bad and ugly on all different types of training plans. What works for you? What you have you tried and hated?
Thanks all!!
2015-08-26 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin What should I do with my run intervals for an oly? I had done 2 weeks of 6x800m, then 2 weeks of 4 x 1200m, then 2 weeks of 3 x 1600. Between my July and August races I just did the 3 x 1600 workout. This week I added a mile and did a 4 x 1600. Should I continue to add 1600s or should I increase distance? Nate

Hey Nate.  This is kind of a tough question because everyone is different.  What kind of intervals are you talking about, base, hills, speed, etc.?  Speed work is typically short intervals at 5K or faster pace and usually done in the month just prior to a race.  My speed intervals before a 70.3 are only 400 yards with 60 second rest.  Now I might do 13-18 of them after a 15 minute warm up and a 15 min. cool down.  Hill intervals usually start before that and not only build strength but help lower your LT threshold.  I have a hill that takes me 2 minutes to run up at race pace that puts my HR just under LT.  I jog easy back down the hill then rinse and repeat.  My base or endurance building doesn't have intervals, just long slow runs.

2015-08-26 5:04 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: thinking ahead to winter training

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy So, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is of using HR training as opposed to any other type of training, in the winter or otherwise. And if you use HR training, how many zones are you training in? I've seen a great variety of conflicting information out there. Beyond HR training, I would love to hear all opinions, good, bad and ugly on all different types of training plans. What works for you? What you have you tried and hated? Thanks all!!

Every now and then I run without my HR monitor in the off season just for fun!  IMHO a HR monitor is THE best training tool you can purchase and nothing else will give you the biggest bang for your buck to improve your health.

I use 5 zones based off of a lactic threshold field test and I retest and adjust each month of training.  This is probably the "standard" method but defiantly not the only one.  The field test is a pain is a 30 minute run and hard as you can!!  Or you can pay a tri shop or lab to test your blood every few minutes while you keep increasing your speed on a treadmill.  And that can get expensive.  There's an age base test, an age adjusted test, and others.  I can get you a list of books I've read on the topic if you're interested.  People like Maffetone, Moore, and Friel.  

Beginner Triathlete has a HR Zone manager that calculates your zones for you.  Hover on the upper right corner where your name is, click settings.  On the new page click "Training Log Settings" on the lower left.  In the new box you'll find "HR Zone manager".  Click new "Add New HR Zone"  for "run".  Now if you click "Choose a method" you open a new page that describes each method.  The drop down box selects the method.  Choose "age adjusted", enter your age, and click calculate.  TA DA!  Now you can modify and save your zones if you choose.

As far as training plans I've only used BT plans in the last few years.  I modify them slightly to fit my needs but they seem to work for me.

2015-08-27 2:57 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: thinking ahead to winter training
Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

So, I was wondering what everyone's opinion is of using HR training as opposed to any other type of training, in the winter or otherwise. And if you use HR training, how many zones are you training in? I've seen a great variety of conflicting information out there.
Beyond HR training, I would love to hear all opinions, good, bad and ugly on all different types of training plans. What works for you? What you have you tried and hated?
Thanks all!!

I'm no expert, I only know what I do when training. From what I've read, you're supposed to do somewhere around 80% of your training in lower HR zones. Personally, I've never been able to get myself to do that. I mostly just monitor my HR while I'm training to see how hard of an effort I gave. I've tried a few times to keep a low HR during a training session, but I feel like I'm going way too slow and I can't seem to keep myself from going faster. I tend to do a lot of my run training in zone 4. I think my bike spends a little more time in the upper end of zone 3 than my running, but it still ends up in zone 4. I don't train a lot in zone 5, but invariably my HR will cross over into that zone during the hardest parts of my training session (like climbing a tough hill). There are a lot of articles that say this is a good way to train, I've just never been able to do it. I just feel like I'm training myself to go slow. I'd love to hear from someone with more information/experience in training this way. Maybe it's effective if you also do interval training?

2015-08-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #5136509

User image

I'm with Randy. I've tried the monitor but feel like I end up in an uncomfortably slow pace. My TomTom has a stride counter I am always between 170 and 180. In studies most people have a similar range. Cutting my stride or slowing my turnover just feels unnatural. Even in high school and college i felt some slower paces felt uncomfortable. I think if you are very well conditioned or have 20 to 30 hours a week to train (half or full iron) it's a good tool to prevent training too hard. Im 0 for 2 on that. In my opinion not a big help in my 2-2-2 sprint oly plan. I also have a lot of unintentional days off.

2015-08-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: My first Olympic distance race report
Originally posted by TonyAbbott

I have just completed my first Olympic distance at the London tri. It was surprisingly enjoyable, not least due to all the advice from here.

One final thing I really enjoy this group, I don't wouldn't have gotten the good time I did without the advice here so thanks to all.

Great race! Congrats.
2015-08-28 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin I'm with Randy. I've tried the monitor but feel like I end up in an uncomfortably slow pace. My TomTom has a stride counter I am always between 170 and 180. In studies most people have a similar range. Cutting my stride or slowing my turnover just feels unnatural. Even in high school and college i felt some slower paces felt uncomfortable. I think if you are very well conditioned or have 20 to 30 hours a week to train (half or full iron) it's a good tool to prevent training too hard. Im 0 for 2 on that. In my opinion not a big help in my 2-2-2 sprint oly plan. I also have a lot of unintentional days off.

Sorry guys but I have to respectfully disagree.  Would you not be faster if your LT threshold was lower?  Or your VO2 max was improved?  Your cardiovascular system was in top condition?  How about lowering your rested and max heart rate making your body much more efficient?  Wouldn't you be faster no matter the distance and overall improved health?  That's what true cardio adaptation does for you and it's only done slowly over time.  Not to mention injury prevention, physical burnout, and the many other aspects of improved health.  "You need to train slower so you can go faster!"  When Phil Maffetone contacted Mark Allen with a new way to train using heart rate as a training indicator and slowing down to improve his overall performance it changed training forever.  Here's a good and short article and Q&A with Mark Allen:  http://philmaffetone.com/alleninterview/

Out of the 5-6 endurance books I've read all have stressed the importance of true aerobic (base) training for all distances of triathlon, other sports, and improved health.  I've yet to see or read about a training plan from BT, TrainingPeaks, USA Cycling, USA Triathlon, or anyone else that doesn't have base building as the key and done throughout the season.  For 5K up to full distance triathlons.  I'm talking reputable training organizations not Joe Blow's article he sold to Men's Health for $50.

Something else to look at:  http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/10/base-1-training-part-1.html

I agree 100% with the comments that training slow is really hard to do, I know!!  It was one of the hardest things for me to get used to.  Now I can run and never hit Z3.  In fact, I can target any zone and stay there or move from one to another.  It's a little harder for me on the bike and no way in a group ride!  I just feel like I should be going faster, lol.

I ran for weight loss for 3-4 years before I did my first race, a 5K.  It's a wonder I didn't kill myself!!  After researching endurance training after my first sprint tri I took six months off just to try a base building plan to improve my aerobic system.  I ate very clean, got rest, and stuck with it.  Wow!  That's when I saw the difference between my 40 lb. weight loss and truly being healthily!  I was a fat burning machine!  My allergies are all but gone and I haven't been sick in years. 

You're training is personal to you.  Do what you enjoy and what keeps you getting out there.  But don't underestimate the benefits of aerobic training and maintaining a solid base.

X

2015-08-28 10:01 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

So this is an interesting debate, and I've been trying to find the time to sit down and weigh in with my thoughts. 

Now in full disclosure, I am very "old school" when it comes to technology. I personally don't use a HR monitor. I don't have a Garmin, don't use Strava, etc. You get the picture. I have a stopwatch. 

I want to be careful how I say this, because I do feel that HR monitors and other tools can be useful but I also feel that sometimes athletes today come to depend on them too much. I think it is important to develop a feel and intuition over time and sometimes the gadgets can take away from that.  To Monty's point, I don't think anyone is saying that a solid true base shouldn't be built. And that base has to be built through consistent volume. Volume you won't achieve if you are going out to bury yourself every workout. Obviously if all of your runs/workouts are in Z4 or Z5, you probably aren't going to last very long, as mentioned due to injury and/or burnout.  

In my case, I know what the purpose of each workout is before I head out the door. I know from experience where I should be regarding intensity for that particular workout. I know what a 6:00 minute mile feels like, what a 7:00 or an 8:00 feels like. I could probably tell you within 5-10 points what my heart rate is at any given time. If you can develop an accurate RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion, Usually scaled 1-10) AND have the proper understanding of what each workout and each training phase is designed to accomplish, then I think you are fine without the monitor and probably better off in the long run. Remember heart rate can also be affected by such things as stress, lack of sleep, caffeine, etc. You don't necessarily want to rely solely on what the monitor is telling you and have no insight into what is really going on within your body. Now RPE can also be affected by things such as stress or lack of sleep, etc. But that is the point, you can feel it and you can learn to recognize it.  With experience you can make the proper adjustments within the workout itself. Given the external circumstances, this week's long run might need to be at a slightly slower pace than last week's long run. Learn to recognize that through RPE and adjust accordingly.

All that being said, a HR monitor is not a bad way to go. Many of my clients use one and I review their data and will correct them if they are way off base on what a particular workout should be.  If you are using one and it works for you, then no need to change, but to answer one of the OP (Jenn's) original questions, there are alternatives, RPE being one of them.

In a sense, I'm pretty much using the same HR methodology, I'm just doing it without the monitor. Relying more on experience and feel. It may not be for everyone, but I think it is a valuable skill/aptitude to develop.  

2015-08-29 7:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Sorry guys but I have to respectfully disagree.  Would you not be faster if your LT threshold was lower?  Or your VO2 max was improved?  Your cardiovascular system was in top condition?  How about lowering your rested and max heart rate making your body much more efficient?  Wouldn't you be faster no matter the distance and overall improved health?  That's what true cardio adaptation does for you and it's only done slowly over time.  Not to mention injury prevention, physical burnout, and the many other aspects of improved health.  "You need to train slower so you can go faster!"  When Phil Maffetone contacted Mark Allen with a new way to train using heart rate as a training indicator and slowing down to improve his overall performance it changed training forever.  Here's a good and short article and Q&A with Mark Allen:  http://philmaffetone.com/alleninterview/

Great info, Monty. I don't think either Nate or I were saying that training by HR zone wasn't effective. I think we were really just trying to say that we could never get ourselves to train that way. I'm pretty limited in the amount of time I have to train. If I do 5 workouts in a week, I feel like I did a lot. Many weeks, I only have time for 3-4 workouts. My week typically consists of one swim, 1-2 runs, and 1-2 bike rides. This is where my fear of running slow comes from. If I only do 1 run this week and I did it at such a low HR, I feel like I'm losing fitness. I'm not saying that I go 100% max effort for that one run, but my average HR for that run might be 4.1 zones. I'd probably spend much of the run in the upper end of zone 3, but at times will cross over into the bottom of zone 4.

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from training by HR. I was really only describing my experience when I've tried to do so. Question for you. As I said, I've read that you should do something like 80% of your training in the lower zones. What do you do during the other 20%? Are you simply just running hard, doing intervals, something else? Just wondering what you approach is.
2015-08-29 7:46 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: Nighttime 5K
I ran a nighttime 5K last night. This was the first time I've ever run a race at night. I do so much of my run training at night, but then my races have always been in the morning and I am NOT a morning person! LOL I was hoping for a good performance since it was closer to the time I usually train. I've spent all of my run training focused on the 10K distance and doing bricks, I wasn't sure where my 5K speed would be. I ran a time trial on the treadmill earlier in the week and managed 25:43. I was a little surprised, but pleasantly so. My last sprint tri I ran 26:06 for the 3.0 mile course, so I thought maybe I'd be able to do 26-something for a full 5K.

I'm not sure if I liked the course very much. You almost immediately go up a somewhat steep hill for 1/4 mile and then it is almost all downhill at about 1% grade to the turnaround. There were a couple spots where it was flat, but almost all of that was downhill. Of course, that meant running uphill for almost the entire 2nd half of the course. My plan was to try to take advantage of the long downhill and then see how much suffering I could take on the way back up.

I attacked the first hill and was able to push up it pretty well while separating myself from a lot of other runners. I did a pretty good job of keeping a strong pace on the downhill, but somehow it still took me about 12:00 to make the turnaround. I knew I had my work cut out for me on the way back. I kept telling myself to deal with the strain in my legs and lungs. I hit the 2 mile mark and tried to jack up my pace. I kept if up for maybe half a mile and then came back down. I got passed by 2 people in that last half mile. Boo! I finished in 25:31, only 39 seconds off my PR, which isn't bad with how my run training has gone.

I've got my family race in mid-October where my brothers and I vie for the coveted CBF Cup (it currently sits on my mantle!). My older brother claims not to have been doing much training, so my current time might even be enough to keep it. But I've got my eyes set on a possible PR. I think if I spend the next 6 weeks focusing mostly on my 5K speed, I should be able to get there.

2015-08-29 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Nighttime 5K

Beware of brothers who claim to have not been training much. I'ved been burned by that one before!

What does the CFB cup stand for again?

2015-08-29 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I ran a nighttime 5K last night. This was the first time I've ever run a race at night...I finished in 25:31, only 39 seconds off my PR, which isn't bad with how my run training has gone.

Congrats!  25' is a good time, and at night even!  I had a 3 PM race one time and didn't do very well.  I felt like I sat around all day waiting for it. 

I didn't mean to step on any toes with my post and I apologize if I did.  I only meant to stress the importance of aerobic training more than just wearing a HR monitor.  It's a excellent tool to achieve that goal.  Chis made some good points about Rate of Perceived Exertion and I'm glad he commented.  RPE is an excellent way to judge your work load and there's a lot of plans based on it for those who don't use a monitor.  Heck, that's how we all train our swimming, right?  

After I started using a monitor I found times that the way I felt didn't always express my true work load.  And, I could accurately dial in zones that were hard for me find or maintain without it, like holding Z3 for 20 minutes.  Like Chris said there are many factors that can affect your HR during a workout.  Ambient temp, hydration, nutrition, injury, rest, cars driving by, hills, on, and on...  I also like to track my HR and review how much time I've spent in each zone during training, compare that with my pace, etc.  Chris has obviously had success with his training using RPE as well as many others.  So it's up to the individual.

Now I'll try and answer your question.  Yes, I would estimate that 80/20 would be a good balance no matter the distance or the total training volume goal.  The qualifier is the changes throughout my training cycle.  It takes more volume to build endurance, less to build strength, and speed is the easiest to improve.  You lose it opposite.  If you just stopped working out your speed would decline first, strength, then endurance.  SO, after building an endurance base you can back off slowly and start implementing strength midway, then speed towards the end of your plan.

Most of my training plans are 12-20 weeks depending on the distance of the race and intensity of the plan.  Obviously a 5K will require a lot less volume then a marathon but the overall plan is the same.  My plans all assume I have some volume established when I start the plan.  So add 4-8 weeks of building volume onto the front.  This established volume comes from training in Z1-2 only.  No speed, no hills, no heavy weights in the gym, etc.  

When my plan starts I start implementing strength in one of my weekly workouts.  If I have three runs that week I might allow my HR to go into low Z3 on one or two runs, the third stays in Z1-2.  That slowly increases until I'm running up hill intervals like I described earlier.  Run hard up hill to HR Z5 then jog back down to recover at lower Z2, rinse and repeat.  No matter the distance of the race.  A 5K would be fewer, short intervals with little rest while a marathon would be a lot of long intervals with more recovery between each.  I always (try) to do a minimum of 10 minutes warm up and cool down in Z1.  After a hard workout staying in Z1 to cold down might be walking!!

My speed work is slowly introduced into my plan the same way but later.  I'll start with a good Z1-2 warm up then take my HR into Z3 and keep it there for a period of time, adjusting pace with hills, wind, etc.  As my plan builds the zone and the time in that zone increase.  Maybe Z2 warm up, then Z3 for a while, then a short time in Z4, and back to Z3.  Sometimes it's in and out of Z3 and Z4 several times.  In the last weeks I'll be running a lot of intervals on the track at 5K or better pace with recoveries between.  I LOVE fartlek runs!  Just speed up and slow down as you feel like it!!

One other note: Z1 is considered the recovery zone.  If you have a good hard workout it might be good to do a recovery run, or ride, the next day instead of taking the day off. 

If you can get in 1-2 runs/rides a week start far enough out from your race that you can build endurance.  Start implementing strength in one of your weekly workouts but keep the other aerobic.  Maybe go from there to every 3rd or 4th run keep aerobic.  Then start adding some speed.  Same for bike and swimming.

Just my two cents...

2015-08-29 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Excellent Post. Good insight.

2015-08-31 7:55 AM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Beware of brothers who claim to have not been training much. I'ved been burned by that one before!

What does the CFB cup stand for again?

CBF stands for Childs Brothers Forever. It's an acronym that my younger (younger to the tune of 43, LOL) brother came up with. We've been doing this for about 6 years now. Our family (not just the brothers) will run a 5K together and the top finisher gets the cup. One of my nieces is a strong runner and she'd win it every year if she ran with us, but she plays soccer in the fall and hasn't run for the cup in the last few years. So it has been left up to us old guys to duke it out. I had a good year of training last year. Combined with an off year for my older brother (who has his name on the cup 3 times), and I was finally able to have my name etched on one of the plates! Now, I'm looking to defend.

(CBFCup.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
CBFCup.jpg (219KB - 5 downloads)
2015-08-31 9:18 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia

Excellent Post. Good insight.

WOW!!!! You guys are amazing! Thank you SO MUCH for all the info! Much appreciated! This is incredible!! Monty, yes, I would love to see a list of the books you like regarding this topic. Please pick the Heart Rate Training for Dummies version for me, though. Too much info on VO2 max yadda yadda stuff and I get glassy eyed pretty fast. I need the "do this, stay here and don't slack off for this amount of time because I said so" kind of instruction.

I have an old Polar F11 that I used in my Gym Rat days, so I know the basics, but I haven't ever used it in triathlon training, so I'm kind of in the "I've got the thing, so why not use it?" mode. At the same time, I know that it is very easy to get wrapped around the axle on the numbers and make yourself nuts obsessing about the numbers. And I don't wanna go there.

Chris, I'm so jealous of you! I would LOVE to be able to do the RPE style, but I think I came to this whole athletic thing too late in life and I have a really hard time judging if I'm tired, hung-over, dehydrated or just being lazy and whiny. Maybe one of these days I'll get my brain and my body on the same page.

I found a beginner style HR training guide on Endurance Nation that I may take a shot at. This is the nice part of taking a year/season off from racing; I get to play with this kind of stuff and not stress about how it may affect my race day performance.

Again, thank you all SO MUCH for your discussion on this topic! I really appreciate it!!!
Cheers,
Jen

2015-08-31 10:15 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Holly Fall triathlon
I raced in the Holly Fall Sprint Triathlon last Wednesday night. I started a blog with pics and hope the link works. Hope ya'll enjoy! I had a blast and am sad to see my last outdoor sprint of the season come and go already!

http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/2015/08/holly-fall-sprint-triath...

Scott
2015-08-31 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5137295

User image

Sorry I have been away, and I hadn't realized I stirred things up! Agree with everything said. I build a base of slow easy running thru the winter and add tempo and interval as the season progresses. The local run group here runs the parking deck for hill workouts. Crazy!

Funny thing (and true story) is my wife decided to start running. She has gone out and ran a mile a couple times for the last 2 weeks. Last night she asked if she should build up miles or try to run her mile faster. The first thing I recommended to her was to use my HR monitor, run slower, and further. Even suggested a run walk to keep HR down She is not fit enough for a fit test but she can determine zones based on age for now. All this before checked in with BT!

In short, my toes are fine Monty!

Heard a great quote watching the end of the Xterra world championshipseries something like "in triathlon you swim with your arms, bike with your legs, and run with your heart"
2015-08-31 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Yep, Josiah Middaugh. Great quote.

https://www.facebook.com/ndrmultisport?ref=hl

2015-08-31 8:26 PM

User image

Subject: Monthly Totals
I'm going to jump the gun and post my monthly totals tonight. Caveat, my totals include my two races.

Swim:3h 22m 20s - 9100.34 M
Bike:5h 14m 31s - 89.3 Mi
Run:4h 22m 05s - 28.7 Mi

Swim total is just about on par with last month, but I did do about 150 meters more this month.
My bike volume is down, which isn't surprising since I feel like I need the most time to recover from my rides. I tend to shy away from too much bike volume around my races.
My run volume was up a little over 7 miles over July. It still isn't great, but more is better than less!

I've had a lot going on and I take a fair amount of time off in the month of August before, between, and after my races. I'll look to get back on track the last few weeks of September as I head towards my final race, a sprint, on September 19th. After that, it's "go" time as I get run focused leading up to my family 5K where I plan to defend my crown! LOL
2015-08-31 9:21 PM

User image

Yep, Josiah Middaugh. Great quote.

https://www.facebook.com/ndrmultisport?ref=hl

Thanks Chris. Will have to add him to my Twitter feed. That is a good mantra to get you across the finish line in my opinion

Nate

2015-08-31 9:43 PM

User image

Subject: RE: August Totals
Monthly totals

Swim 5h 20m 57s - 17850.00 Yd
BIKE6h 43m 40s - 115.15 Mi
RUN7h 29m 46s - 51.85 M

Swim up, bike down (I was without a bike one week, and could ride another due work), and run way up (largely because i was able to actually do my LSD days this month!).

Overall this has been a really good month for me, and I am pretty happy with my season. I feel strong in the water, confident on the bike, and like I am hitting my stride on the run (hit my splits during my workout tonight). This is exactly where I want to be at this time of the season, and I feel positioned to have my best sprint yet. Unfortunately my next race is an an Oly. The run is the only thing that gives me pause, but think if I take the first three easy I will be able to get thru the next three even if I haven't run a 10k in training this year. My forefoot hasn't given me any problems this month, but I haven't pushed my distance above 5 miles. Been hesitant to push that limit partially because I don't want to find that boundary

Originally posted by nrpoulin

SWIM4h 52m 19s - 15620.00 Yd
BIKE6h 45m 46s - 128.38 Mi
RUN4h 44m 07s - 33.06 Mi

Volume pretty consistent and below where I need to be.
On vacation next week in NH and have my bike there now, so no bike for a week unless I get on the stationary.
Looking forward to my racecation. Course is very hilly by NC standards, and the swim is a little to short for me. Have to increase my volume if I am going to do an Oly

Nate
2015-09-01 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: August Totals

August Totals:

S: 23,025 yards

B: 330 miles

R: 77 miles

Pretty solid month for me. Should set me up well for the my final push through September and into October.

2015-09-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 I raced in the Holly Fall Sprint Triathlon last Wednesday night. I started a blog with pics and hope the link works. Hope ya'll enjoy! I had a blast and am sad to see my last outdoor sprint of the season come and go already! http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/2015/08/holly-fall-sprint-triath... Scott

Thanks for the great report, Scott! You seem to be following the same pattern as me with a running background, but soon finding cycling and then swimming becoming a stronger relative discipline. I think this may come from the fact that many more people come from a running background into triathlon than the other sports. So with consistent training in the water and on the bike, you can begin to separate yourself from many of the "runner's" out there.

2015-09-01 8:17 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

I raced in the Holly Fall Sprint Triathlon last Wednesday night. I started a blog with pics and hope the link works. Hope ya'll enjoy! I had a blast and am sad to see my last outdoor sprint of the season come and go already!

http://sjmtrisandmore.blogspot.com/2015/08/holly-fall-sprint-triath...

Scott

Sorry, I missed seeing this post. Great job, Scott! Just about everything below my waist cramped during my Olympic a few weeks ago, so I know exactly how you feel! I know you were disappointed about not making the pass sooner on your AG winner, but it still sounds like you had a pretty good race considering the complication due to cramping. Do you think that would have just made the cramps show up sooner, though?

Anyway, way to gut it out and get that top 10 finish. Good luck in your Oly!

Randy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28944 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?