General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with a baker's cyst Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-19 10:54 AM

Subject: Training with a baker's cyst
I have a baker's cyst which has appeared since I tweaked a medial hamstring tendon - or could have been gastroc tendon - due to a high saddle. Had a bit of tendon snapping when flexing for a week or so. Took time off and now the cyst has formed. About half an inch wide and an inch long. Causes no pain, and the tendon snapping is gone. It doesn't inhibit my training - can run, cycle, gym etc... - but it's not going away. Should I just keep training and monitor it? From what I've read they can take some time to go away. Taking ibrupofen, icing and compressing at the moment.

Any help/experiences appreciated.

2014-12-19 10:56 AM
in reply to: #5075777

Subject: RE: Training with a baker's cyst
Btw - the cyst is behind my knee on the medial side. Could be semimembrabos bursa.
2015-01-06 9:03 PM
in reply to: KETri

Hi there,
I was just going to post a question myself about a bakers cyst in the knee, when I came across your post.

About 2 years ago I did the Detroit Freep Marathon, at some point during the race I wasn't watching what I was doing - lost concentration for a moment, and planted my foot on the edge of a piece of uneven pavement. The jerk on my knee wasn't enough to blow any tendons thankfully but I did mess up the meniscus. Had surgery, did the recovery thing, doc said the inside of my knee was pretty much pristine.

It was 3 months before he'd clear me to run again, and I gotta tell ya, it was a fabulous day when I got back out.

So that's the background.

A month or two later, I was beginning to steadily increase my distances. On one particular day I was out for a 10 mile run with my golden retriever puppy about 4 miles from home, just cruising along when I suddenly felt like I'd gotten shot in the back of my knee - except I didn't hear a gunshot, and there was no open wound. I didn't hit the pavement but it took a lot of effort not to. The pain in my knee was so excruitiating that I literally could not touch my foot on the pavement for 5-10 minutes.

So there I am, 4 miles from home with my puppy, standing on one foot, trying not to pass out from the pain, and wondering how the bleep I'm going to get back home.

Did manage to very slowly get back home, called my wife (a nurse) at work to give her the good news that I was gonna have surgery on my knee again. Turns out that I had developed a Bakers Cyst in there, and the doctors were pretty convinced I'd burst it while running.

So, the reason I was here on the forum re the Bakers' Cyst as I'd mentioned earlier, is because I literally haven't run 30 feet since that incident, and I REALLY REALLY miss it.

I was hoping to get one of the medical people around here to provide us both with a little feedback.

Tom
2015-03-01 4:51 PM
in reply to: KETri

I have had a Baker's cyst for some time now. The ortho doc I saw said it was small (1/2") and he did give me a topical gel to apply to my knee, but said I could continue to train. I'd have your doc check it out and let you know their thoughts. I think the worst thing that could happen is it bursting, which might be uncomfortable - but other than that I don't think it would hold you back. Good luck!
2015-03-06 6:10 PM
in reply to: jakesmama66

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Yes, you should be able to continue training if you're pain free, but you should also consult a doctor. There is risk of the cyst rupturing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with a baker's cyst Rss Feed