View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oakville, Ontario
Canada
Total Time = 54m 8s
Overall Rank = 240/711
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 19/99
Pre-race routine:

Nothimg much in particular. I wasn't planning on racing so i ate some toast and we picked up a friend and headed to the race site. We were worried about where to park since the route had changed and the race organizers were advertising to park at a GO station pretty far away and then take shuttle buses and we didn't want to do that.
Event warmup:

It was a pretty gloomy morning and we milled around a bit finding ways to keep warm when we finally relinquished our hoodies to the baggage check i went off and did a little bit of running in the grass to warm up my legs and test out my right heel which had been creaky and sore on and off for the last few weeks.
Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

So, because my heel had been sore which was smacking of achilles issues I decided not to 'race it' or try to get to a PB. Most certainly i was going to derail ironman training for 10k. I wanted to do it for my long run and be eligible to win the car they raffle.

I seeded myself in the back and my friend and husband went further up. As i was waiting i was strategizing both good and bad scenarios. If i felt bad, i'd just do what i had to do. And if I felt good i could pick it up each kilometer. Either way starting slow was the main thing.

So, it was crowded where I was and did start reasonably but I was picking it up a lot sooner than I thought i would. Soon enough I was passing people and I felt good. My heel felt fine so i kept going.

Starting slow is great because I felt like a million bucks passing people the whole way. I could see i was doing a great pace for me. Again, not PB time but a lot faster than I've been training. At one point I came up behind a girl who clearly did not want me to pass her - as I came to her shoulder i felt her surge. I decided to let her and not surge with her and sure enough within 30 seconds she couldn't hold the pace and i was by her.

I was starting to get fatigued in the last two k but i just eased up on the pace slightly so it was a little more comfortable and came in just over 53 minutes. I was very happy with that and the lack of achilles issues.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was not an A race - i thought I executed well for my goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much - grabbed my hoodie and some food and hung out until the raffle. It started pouring rain. Oh gosh it was soooooo wet waiting but we stayed but we did not win the car :(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The expected things: an aggravated achilles and not training specifically for this distance

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race. Each year has been slightly different with timing changing between april and may and the weather as well as the route. But with the car raffle it's a great time and worth going to Oakville.

Last updated: 2012-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/99
Overall: 0/711
Performance: Good
Course: New course this year - headed the opposite way of the previous years and it is a slightly hillier route. The main attraction is running through Oakville's downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-12-19 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k

Started by JTTRIHRD
Views: 760 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 6:37 PM JTTRIHRD

Started by juniperjen
Views: 1358 Posts: 1

2010-12-29 1:35 PM juniperjen

Started by mgalanter
Views: 1236 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 10:41 AM mgalanter

Started by RVachon
Views: 1276 Posts: 1

2010-04-25 12:02 PM RVachon

Started by juniperjen
Views: 1475 Posts: 2

2009-04-28 6:34 PM eurydice79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 0
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.