BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-04-30 12:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

My 910xt shows it as long too and I swam pretty straight.  I have 2306 yards on mine, but the course might well have been closer to 2200 yards....my rounding of the turn buoys looks a little less sharp than yours do.  A 1:48/100m pace sounds more in line with my effort than the published 1:57/100m -- both are a lot slower than I should have done, but I clearly forgot I was in a race and thought I was just out for a leisurely swim on Sunday!

Had my RR nearly written, but something happened and BT lost bike, T2, and the portion of run that I had written....will try to re-write and finish tonight.

2015-04-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
2015-05-04 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Nice racing guys. Glad to see the hard work paying off.

I've got 2 weeks of hard training left, then my 2 week taper before Hawaii. Yay!

Did a long ride again on Sunday - I've been very consistent with these which I am happy about. I've done a 3 hour + ride I think every week for the last 2 months or so. But on this one just gone I don't think I ate enough. When it came time for the brick run (20min race effort) I'm pretty sure I bonked. Just had no energy, no anything, couldn't run and my brain was a bit wonky. I only had 2 gels and a bottle of carb drink, plus the effort was higher than normal, so all that adds up. Live and learn.
2015-05-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Wow quiet over the last week. Everyone still ok over there or has the internet turned off in North America?

I had my last big weekend - did a 1:40 run (17km) and 3.5 hour (96k) bike yesterday (run morning, bike afternoon). Bike was 3x60mins at HIM power (goal 75% of FTP = 145W). It felt super easy early on, but as it wore on into the last hour, I was starting to feel it, so I guess that's good. Given I was carrying fatigue from the run too I think that's a good spot.

I finally got my Garmin Vector pod back from Garmin fixed (ie replaced) under warranty so I finally am able to train with power again. I did an FTP test but dropped back to onkly 195W!!!!! WTF! I've been very consistent with my training and doing at least my weekly long 3 hour ride and usually 2 other hard rides (Sufferfest) so I'm quite surprised/disappointed with that drop off.

I'll be racing a local Oly this weekend. Quiet flat bay swim, what looks like a slightly winding bike ride with 1 hill (over and back) but otherwise mostly flat, then what will be a dead flat run. Looking to race hard!
2015-05-11 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by stuart_little_9 Wow quiet over the last week. Everyone still ok over there or has the internet turned off in North America? I had my last big weekend - did a 1:40 run (17km) and 3.5 hour (96k) bike yesterday (run morning, bike afternoon). Bike was 3x60mins at HIM power (goal 75% of FTP = 145W). It felt super easy early on, but as it wore on into the last hour, I was starting to feel it, so I guess that's good. Given I was carrying fatigue from the run too I think that's a good spot. I finally got my Garmin Vector pod back from Garmin fixed (ie replaced) under warranty so I finally am able to train with power again. I did an FTP test but dropped back to onkly 195W!!!!! WTF! I've been very consistent with my training and doing at least my weekly long 3 hour ride and usually 2 other hard rides (Sufferfest) so I'm quite surprised/disappointed with that drop off. I'll be racing a local Oly this weekend. Quiet flat bay swim, what looks like a slightly winding bike ride with 1 hill (over and back) but otherwise mostly flat, then what will be a dead flat run. Looking to race hard!

Good stuff Stuart!   

All those rides will really pay dividends.  I did a 2:30 ride the other week and did not carry enough nutrition and really paid the price.  Apparently I need a reminder every now and then.  It is definitely an important aspect that can be easily overlooked.

Look forward to tracking your race in a few weeks!

2015-05-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I raced a 25K (15.5 miles) run race this past weekend and it kicked my butt.

I ran the first 7-8 miles at 6:25 mile pace and was feeling ok.  The second half is much tougher with rolling terrain and I really started to hurt and fade.  Ended up finishing in 1:44 or 6:40ish pace.

The distance was completely new to me and was difficult for me mentally.  I think it will pay dividends later though.

First triathlon in 2 weeks and then HIM in 4 or 5!

2015-05-11 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

I ran the first 7-8 miles at 6:25 mile pace and was feeling ok.  The second half is much tougher with rolling terrain and I really started to hurt and fade.  Ended up finishing in 1:44 or 6:40ish pace.

The distance was completely new to me and was difficult for me mentally.  I think it will pay dividends later though.

Nice one. A good pacing lesson by the sound of it. 25k sounds like a bit of a funny distance, but I suppose it is half a 50k, so maybe that's it.

Question for the group - who has a coach? What do you use it for (eg set out a monthly plan and that's it, or week by week, or daily checkups, etc, or just to bounce ideas off of)? How much do you pay? I don't use a coach, as I feel that my knowledge in my profession as an exercise physiologist is sufficient for my level. But if I was to push and get super-serious I reckon I would get a coach, especially if I was looking to qualify for anything.
2015-05-12 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by stuart_little_9

Nice one. A good pacing lesson by the sound of it. 25k sounds like a bit of a funny distance, but I suppose it is half a 50k, so maybe that's it. Question for the group - who has a coach? What do you use it for (eg set out a monthly plan and that's it, or week by week, or daily checkups, etc, or just to bounce ideas off of)? How much do you pay? I don't use a coach, as I feel that my knowledge in my profession as an exercise physiologist is sufficient for my level. But if I was to push and get super-serious I reckon I would get a coach, especially if I was looking to qualify for anything.

It was the US Road Race 25K Championship.  I think 22,000 runners.

As far as coaching goes, and I can only speak for me, but I hit a plateau and was frustrated with the feeling that I was spending all this time training and not making any serious gains.  For me if I was going to invest all this time (which is precious) into training, then I wanted to get every ounce out of that effort with improvement.  Keep in mind, that for me, I am training to be the best I possibly can be and not just to finish.  I felt like a coach was worth it and I have not been disappointed.

Another point, is people hate change.  The thing that has really sparked gains is him forcing me out of my comfort zone and doing things I would never do on my own.  Something like having the trust to push one sport to the back for awhile to focus on another and really improve it.  I would have never had the mental strength to do that because I thought I would never be able to get back that fitness.  But, when done correctly, it can really really work.

I have unlimited access to him.  I get plans on a weekly basis.  Worth every penny in my opinion.

2015-05-12 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I don't have a coach, but have really been considering it.  The one thing that's holding me back right now is that I will do very limited racing next year (at least for the first half to three quarters of the year), so it seems like a really inopportune time to invest in a coach.

I'm relatively new to the whole triathlon world.  Last year, I did three HIM's all 8-10 weeks apart -- by the end, I was really burned out and not improving.  I tried to learn from that for this year's race schedule....but then had some setbacks (in the form of too much bad stress in my life, and thus not recovering well) and have still not seen the improvements I'd like. 

I've also tried some different things (a run focus that resulted in no net gains, and then a different run philosophy which has also resulted in no net gains), but feel like I need some guidance if I actually want to improve.  So after the crazy-ness is over next year, I will be strongly considering a coach.

2015-05-13 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice one. A good pacing lesson by the sound of it. 25k sounds like a bit of a funny distance, but I suppose it is half a 50k, so maybe that's it.

Question for the group - who has a coach? What do you use it for (eg set out a monthly plan and that's it, or week by week, or daily checkups, etc, or just to bounce ideas off of)? How much do you pay? I don't use a coach, as I feel that my knowledge in my profession as an exercise physiologist is sufficient for my level. But if I was to push and get super-serious I reckon I would get a coach, especially if I was looking to qualify for anything.

Hey group !

I had a coach in 2013. I was paying quite a bit ($300). I am happy I had one, I learned a lot, I mostly confirmed things I thought . So I am happy I did.
The reason I stopped ? I had a bad feeling about injuries in 2014 that turned out to be valid. I felt I was overdoing it in 2013 and could feel I was breaking down which I did. It would have been a waste to have a coach in 2014. I spent that money on physio :-)

I do believe I have a good feel for what works for me. I also have a good feel for what holds me back. I don't need to pay to find that out :-)

I really think it depends where a person is in his progression. I also believe experience trumps all in the choice of a coach.

I do believe there are many people that would get benefit from a coach, especially on this site. Some of the stuff I see is, well....I can't find a word. BTW, equally for some of the people that claim to be coaches.

I am a strong believer in that given the time we put into this sport, make sure there is value you get out of it. Value doesn't just come in the form of fast times. If you came out of an experience with knowledge even if it was a poor result, that is fine.

Not all coaches are right for all people.

2015-05-13 6:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I finally got my Garmin Vector pod back from Garmin fixed (ie replaced) under warranty so I finally am able to train with power again. I did an FTP test but dropped back to onkly 195W!!!!! WTF! I've been very consistent with my training and doing at least my weekly long 3 hour ride and usually 2 other hard rides (Sufferfest) so I'm quite surprised/disappointed with that drop off.

Are you sure you did the process to "Reset the angles" ? Everytime I had my Vectors read low is because I screwed up this step.

Otherwise they have been super precise.

2015-05-13 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by marcag

Nice one. A good pacing lesson by the sound of it. 25k sounds like a bit of a funny distance, but I suppose it is half a 50k, so maybe that's it. Question for the group - who has a coach? What do you use it for (eg set out a monthly plan and that's it, or week by week, or daily checkups, etc, or just to bounce ideas off of)? How much do you pay? I don't use a coach, as I feel that my knowledge in my profession as an exercise physiologist is sufficient for my level. But if I was to push and get super-serious I reckon I would get a coach, especially if I was looking to qualify for anything.
Hey group ! I had a coach in 2013. I was paying quite a bit ($300). I am happy I had one, I learned a lot, I mostly confirmed things I thought . So I am happy I did. The reason I stopped ? I had a bad feeling about injuries in 2014 that turned out to be valid. I felt I was overdoing it in 2013 and could feel I was breaking down which I did. It would have been a waste to have a coach in 2014. I spent that money on physio :-) I do believe I have a good feel for what works for me. I also have a good feel for what holds me back. I don't need to pay to find that out :-) I really think it depends where a person is in his progression. I also believe experience trumps all in the choice of a coach. I do believe there are many people that would get benefit from a coach, especially on this site. Some of the stuff I see is, well....I can't find a word. BTW, equally for some of the people that claim to be coaches. I am a strong believer in that given the time we put into this sport, make sure there is value you get out of it. Value doesn't just come in the form of fast times. If you came out of an experience with knowledge even if it was a poor result, that is fine. Not all coaches are right for all people.

Good points Marc.

I think you really enjoy the data part of it and I do not .  I like to browse it but not really analyze it to see what needs to be changed in my training.  Basically, I prefer all the thinking be done by a coach so I don't have too!!

For Marc, he really enjoys that aspect, so that would be another consideration and is individual.

2015-05-13 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

All good stuff. I don't have a coach.  I do attend a coached swim group. I work really well in group settings more so than 1 on 1 which sounds strange. 

I get quite a bit out of the coached swim group - great feedback and her style seems to change as my needs change. Sometimes she really pushes me, sometimes she's tough and others she just provide positive reinforcement for good effort. I have improved and I definitely push myself harder in the pool as a result of going to her swim than I would if i swam on my own. 

I am in an odd place. I don't think i'll get a coach in the foreseeable future but know a few people who have and it's been a mixed bag of experience. I think being sure that they listen to you is key. A friend who is an excellent runner wanted to improve her bike for her 2nd IM but the coach said he wanted to make sure she was set up for a strong run.  And in the end her 2nd IM was very similar to the first which she achieved on her own. 

2015-05-13 11:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey group ! I had a coach in 2013. I was paying quite a bit ($300). I am happy I had one, I learned a lot, I mostly confirmed things I thought . So I am happy I did. The reason I stopped ? I had a bad feeling about injuries in 2014 that turned out to be valid. I felt I was overdoing it in 2013 and could feel I was breaking down which I did. It would have been a waste to have a coach in 2014. I spent that money on physio :-) I do believe I have a good feel for what works for me. I also have a good feel for what holds me back. I don't need to pay to find that out :-) I really think it depends where a person is in his progression. I also believe experience trumps all in the choice of a coach. I do believe there are many people that would get benefit from a coach, especially on this site. Some of the stuff I see is, well....I can't find a word. BTW, equally for some of the people that claim to be coaches. I am a strong believer in that given the time we put into this sport, make sure there is value you get out of it. Value doesn't just come in the form of fast times. If you came out of an experience with knowledge even if it was a poor result, that is fine. Not all coaches are right for all people.

Good points Marc.

I think you really enjoy the data part of it and I do not .  I like to browse it but not really analyze it to see what needs to be changed in my training.  Basically, I prefer all the thinking be done by a coach so I don't have too!!

For Marc, he really enjoys that aspect, so that would be another consideration and is individual.

This is a very good point

Some people don't have the time, knowledge or desire to do this.

Most if not all amateur athletes are very time restricted and you have to make good use of your time. You want to do enough but not over do it. You need the right mix of training to work your weakness and leverage your strengths. You have to train smart but smart is different for every athlete.

Yes you can gather that info from multiple sources but there is often conflict of information.

For example there is one guy out there, asks a billion questions, cherry picks the responses he likes, does all kind of whacky things, probably trains way to hard, for way to short periods, doesn't recover and is digging himself into a hole. Not only is he doing something bad for himself, he is wasting a ton of time and suffering while doing it. For what reward ? None.

Edited by marcag 2015-05-13 11:26 AM
2015-05-13 2:01 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by juniperjen

All good stuff. I don't have a coach.  I do attend a coached swim group. I work really well in group settings more so than 1 on 1 which sounds strange. 

I get quite a bit out of the coached swim group - great feedback and her style seems to change as my needs change. Sometimes she really pushes me, sometimes she's tough and others she just provide positive reinforcement for good effort. I have improved and I definitely push myself harder in the pool as a result of going to her swim than I would if i swam on my own. 

I am in an odd place. I don't think i'll get a coach in the foreseeable future but know a few people who have and it's been a mixed bag of experience. I think being sure that they listen to you is key. A friend who is an excellent runner wanted to improve her bike for her 2nd IM but the coach said he wanted to make sure she was set up for a strong run.  And in the end her 2nd IM was very similar to the first which she achieved on her own. 

I wish I could get into a swim group.  I normally swim at lunch by myself.  There was a good group in the mornings but I no longer make that time work.

I am pretty much 100% solo always on my workouts which is mainly because I just want to focus on my workout and not get distracted.  But, for swimming, I would not mind swimming with some faster folks.

2015-05-14 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

This weekend is going to be a grind:

Saturday: 80 mile TT

Sunday: 2:15 Run

Ugh!

2015-05-14 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ugh!

Wow, 80 mile TT??  Do you have a plan for pacing that?  That seems like it would be incredibly mentally challenging!  At least with HIM/IM pacing, you're not hurting that badly....and for a 40k TT, you know you only have to sustain the hurt for an hour!  And an 80 mile long ride (group ride) would almost certainly include some hard efforts and some recovery efforts.  Will really be looking forward to hearing about it!

2015-05-14 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ugh!

Wow, 80 mile TT??  Do you have a plan for pacing that?  That seems like it would be incredibly mentally challenging!  At least with HIM/IM pacing, you're not hurting that badly....and for a 40k TT, you know you only have to sustain the hurt for an hour!  And an 80 mile long ride (group ride) would almost certainly include some hard efforts and some recovery efforts.  Will really be looking forward to hearing about it!

I am in pain thinking about it.  He wants me around 85%FTP, high end of HIM effort, but honestly I would be surprised if I can maintain that.  I have a feeling I will be limping this home!!

2015-05-15 5:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ugh!

I am in pain thinking about it.  He wants me around 85%FTP, high end of HIM effort, but honestly I would be surprised if I can maintain that.  I have a feeling I will be limping this home!!

If it makes you feel any better, 85% won't hurt for a while....but an 80 mile ride goes on for longer than "a while", I suppose!  Wishing you all the best and really curious to hear about it after.  I honestly had figured you were coming back to say "oops, 80k, not 80 miles!"  Even 80k would be long!

2015-05-15 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Ugh!

If it makes you feel any better, 85% won't hurt for a while....but an 80 mile ride goes on for longer than "a while", I suppose!  Wishing you all the best and really curious to hear about it after.  I honestly had figured you were coming back to say "oops, 80k, not 80 miles!"  Even 80k would be long!

x2 - best of luck with it - i am sure a good part of it is mental training too! 

But maybe you can nap with the kids ... i would definitely need one after that! 

2015-05-15 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia

Are you sure you did the process to "Reset the angles" ? Everytime I had my Vectors read low is because I screwed up this step.

Otherwise they have been super precise.

Left pedal was under-torqued (only around 20Nm - should be 35Nm). I just felt I couldn't tighten it any more. Anyway, when I changed it to my other bike, I did work it hard to get it to 35, but then OTHER POD BROKE!!!!! (Not my new one, the old partner of my original). F#$^! I have done a bit of a work around so I can still use it in the meantime, as there is not enough time to get a replacement before I fly out to Hawaii next weekend.

Anyway, did a Fatigue Profile workout yesterday (from Allan and Coggan's book - Training and racing with a power meter), which included a 20min max effort - averaged 230W so this confirms what the pedals were under torqued and much closer to what it should have been (previous test was 239W).

2015-05-15 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia

Ugh!

Wow 80miles would be 4.5-5 hours for me!

Is this the only 80mile TT you are doing? In my thinking, a TT is to compare efforts over time, so I'm not sure of the point. For me there is a difference between an 80mile TT (reads go as hard as you can for 80miles) and an 80mile ride at 85% FTP.

I'm racing this weekend - just a local Olympic. Flat run, sheltered swim, mostly flat ride with a few twists and turns and 1 small hill. I'm going to be going as hard as I can as this is my last real workout before I taper. It's only a C race though as I'm not resting at all for it (1:50 run and 1:40 bike yesterday, and 1:20 bike today), so we'll see how I go.

I'm 2 weeks out from my A race. How far away is everyone else?
2015-05-15 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia

Good points Marc.

Yeah I love the data too. The major reason I'd be considering it is to break through and perhaps change things a bit. I'm a Joe Friel fan (base my training off his 2 books, plus Training Peaks virtual coach). Although I really like the style, perhaps a change of procedure after a good number of years on this would be beneficial.
2015-05-16 5:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Left pedal was under-torqued (only around 20Nm - should be 35Nm). I just felt I couldn't tighten it any more. Anyway, when I changed it to my other bike, I did work it hard to get it to 35, but then OTHER POD BROKE!!!!! (Not my new one, the old partner of my original). F#$^! I have done a bit of a work around so I can still use it in the meantime, as there is not enough time to get a replacement before I fly out to Hawaii next weekend.

But you do the angle reset, correct ? IE you need to spin the cranks at aound 90RPM AFTER the pedals have been properly torqued. The previous angles need to have been flushed by removing the batteries

Retorquing without resetting the angles caused bad values for me.

Edited by marcag 2015-05-16 5:15 AM
2015-05-19 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Ugh!

Wow 80miles would be 4.5-5 hours for me! Is this the only 80mile TT you are doing? In my thinking, a TT is to compare efforts over time, so I'm not sure of the point. For me there is a difference between an 80mile TT (reads go as hard as you can for 80miles) and an 80mile ride at 85% FTP. I'm racing this weekend - just a local Olympic. Flat run, sheltered swim, mostly flat ride with a few twists and turns and 1 small hill. I'm going to be going as hard as I can as this is my last real workout before I taper. It's only a C race though as I'm not resting at all for it (1:50 run and 1:40 bike yesterday, and 1:20 bike today), so we'll see how I go. I'm 2 weeks out from my A race. How far away is everyone else?

What %FTP do you think you would ride an 80 mile TT at?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28944 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46046 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54085 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.