BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2014-12-24 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

GROUP FOCUS: The focus of the group will be primarily geared towards the Half Ironman distance and those racing an early season HIM event (April – June) although folks preparing for Olympic to IM are more than welcome. A bonus if you utilize power on the bike but not required.

NAME: Ryan Mac (McEnhill)

STORY: I do not come from a heavy background of swimming, biking or running but played every sport growing up and excelled at hockey, basketball and soccer. I got into triathlons after college and did my first sprint in 2008 and was hooked. I steadily improved from that point being self coached and eventually focusing on the Olympic and Half Iron distance with my best race being Spirit of Racine HIM (now IM 70.3 Racine) where I went 4:36 in my first try at the distance. We started a family in 2011 (now 2 kids) which put training a little bit on the back shelf and really got serious again last winter under the guidance of a coach.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married with 2 great kids. Keelyn is our 3.5 year old girl and Quinn is our 18 month old boy which keep us on our toes.

CURRENT TRAINING: I had a pretty long 2014 season so I regrouped and took it easy in October and got back into structured training in November. I train with power on the bike and pace/HR on the run. Last year was heavy on the bike and swim and made huge gains in both sports. Now, we are looking to build my run and put it all together in 2015. Right now I am building my run volume and looking to maintain my bike/swim until we got into more specific prep early next year.

2014 RACES: USAT Long Course Nationals at Grand Rapids (4:42) and IM 70.3 Steelhead (4:48) were my A races last year. I also got 2nd OA and 3rd OA at a few local Olympic Distance races missing out on 1st by 40 and 90 seconds. I made huge improvements on the swim and bike but my run never came through in the HIM distance to get closer to 4:30 which was the goal.

2015 RACES: Targeting Grand Rapids HIM and IM 70.3 Steelhead again this year with lots of running races, Olympic distance races and possibly another 70.3 if I am feeling good. The main goal is to continue to improve and would like to qualify for 70.3 WC in Australia for 2016 if everything goes well.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not a major issue for me but would certainly like to eat better and more nutritious foods which is not the easiest with kids eating pizza! I think it would be beneficial to drop a little bit of weight prior to race day in June and improve my body composition.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been a part of the mentor groups since they started and have been fortunate to be around a lot of smart people in triathlon which has helped me immensely.  I feel like this is a good time to help out others either brand new or experienced to reach their goals in triathlon.

The only requirement for this group is that folks check in and post with the group at least once a day. It can be as simple as what you have planned training wise for the day to keep everybody engaged in the group.

Please post a bio similar to mine above, if you would like to join us.

Edited by Ryan Mac 2015-01-08 6:51 PM

2015-01-05 12:02 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - OPEN

Hey Ryan, I'd love to join! I've been in a group with you before.  Planning my 4th HIM for June.  Busy with an 19-month old daughter at home.

Will post bio later. 

2015-01-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Ryan, I'd love to join! I've been in a group with you before.  Planning my 4th HIM for June.  Busy with an 19-month old daughter at home.

Will post bio later. 

Awesome Jen.  Glad to have you.

One of the nice things I have found with our son that age is his 2-3 hour nap in the middle of the day to get some trainer time in .

2015-01-06 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Hopefully we can get some more peeps rolling in soon and get this thread cranked up. 

This is open to athletes of all abilities (beginner, novice, intermediate and advanced) who are looking to complete their first HIM or to PR at their next one.

2015-01-06 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Here is my bio!

NAME: Jen Snyder

STORY: I’ve been at it for a while. Started as a runner and saw my then boyfriend, now husband do Ironman Canada back in 2007 – I thought it was awesome. I had to learn to swim which was pretty tough. And I needed to get a bike which wasn’t so difficult. I kept at it and started doing triathlons in around 2009 – I even DNF’ed a race being way too scared to do the swim. Somehow and for some reason, I kept on and have worked my way through various distances and am a pretty happy swimmer now (most of the time).

In 2012, I did my ultimate goal of doing a full ironman. I had a great day and a really great result for me (I am still thrilled two years later). Just a little more than 9 months later I had a baby girl and decided to get back at it. I missed the 2013 season but found muscle memory is an amazing thing and I am back to where I was – just more time crunched – and still just as enthusiastic to keep at it and stay with it for the long haul.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 19 month old daughter, a dog and cat

CURRENT TRAINING: just trying to keep doing all three sports. I swim twice a week with triathlon swim group coached by a local pro. I feel like I’ve been improving what was my weakest (or previously non-existent) sport. Using one of the winter maintenance plans, I really need to focus on the bike.

2014 RACES: I did an early half marathon, my first real race post-baby, and was happy with the result (1:54), then a half ironman on a super flat course and scored a huge PB on that distance (5:46), a sprint-ish tri at the end of August, and closed out with a PB on the 10k distance (48:44) just last month.

2015 RACES: So far I only really have the one Half Iron planned for June of this year- the same race I did in 2014. I wouldn’t mind a half marathon or a few 10k run races and maybe one other short tri for the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Also not a major issue for me. Similarly, I could eat better and focus a little more on getting to a leaner race weight but I am in a healthy weight range and try not to worry about it too much as long as my clothes still fit

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am enthusiastic and spend lots of time on this site! I love to support others' in their journeys. 

2015-01-06 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Not really a great day for me today - i woke up with a very unhappy tummy and resulted in me staying home.  I am starting to feel better - but it's probably better not to do any workouts today. 

Yesterday, i had a good swim. I finally spent some time working on my flip turns which I haven't quite gotten the hang of. 

2015-01-06 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hmmm.... not sure why I didn't notice this group before I joined Baowolf's Winter training.  If it is OK, I'll  jump in both groups since I'm doing huge winter base training for GCT 70.3 in May.

Here is a little blurb about me...

I'm married to a runner and I'm a daddy to 4 children (12, 9, 9, 9). I got into tris in 2011 after doing a few 5Ks here and there. I hated the shorter distances at first because I didn't want to stay red lined the whole race. I guess I like to be cooked long and slow. So, I did IM Augusta in 2012. Thought it was "fun" and signed up for another HIM in 2013 and did IMFL 2013. Training for an IM was great because I have an awesome wife who knows the importance of sticking to the plan. The support was there and she never complained. She joined me on the long runs. I did about 85% of my bike training on a trainer. I didn't have that big guilt from being away from the family on long ride days. I took 2014 off from racing because I wanted to give back to the family. Only thing I did was a 3 mile bridge swim... which really came out to be 3.6 miles.

Swimming is my strongest, then biking, then running. I have tons of improvement in all three areas; however, I'm focusing more on running. I just established my Tpace, FTP & LTHR for the start of 2015. I'm racing a HIM in May so I've been doing nothing but base training (11-17 hours a week). I will probably sign up for a couple more HIMs.  I'm weird... I love the trainer and treadmill.

2015-01-06 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Here is my bio!

NAME: Jen Snyder

STORY: I’ve been at it for a while. Started as a runner and saw my then boyfriend, now husband do Ironman Canada back in 2007 – I thought it was awesome. I had to learn to swim which was pretty tough. And I needed to get a bike which wasn’t so difficult. I kept at it and started doing triathlons in around 2009 – I even DNF’ed a race being way too scared to do the swim. Somehow and for some reason, I kept on and have worked my way through various distances and am a pretty happy swimmer now (most of the time).

In 2012, I did my ultimate goal of doing a full ironman. I had a great day and a really great result for me (I am still thrilled two years later). Just a little more than 9 months later I had a baby girl and decided to get back at it. I missed the 2013 season but found muscle memory is an amazing thing and I am back to where I was – just more time crunched – and still just as enthusiastic to keep at it and stay with it for the long haul.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 19 month old daughter, a dog and cat

CURRENT TRAINING: just trying to keep doing all three sports. I swim twice a week with triathlon swim group coached by a local pro. I feel like I’ve been improving what was my weakest (or previously non-existent) sport. Using one of the winter maintenance plans, I really need to focus on the bike.

2014 RACES: I did an early half marathon, my first real race post-baby, and was happy with the result (1:54), then a half ironman on a super flat course and scored a huge PB on that distance (5:46), a sprint-ish tri at the end of August, and closed out with a PB on the 10k distance (48:44) just last month.

2015 RACES: So far I only really have the one Half Iron planned for June of this year- the same race I did in 2014. I wouldn’t mind a half marathon or a few 10k run races and maybe one other short tri for the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Also not a major issue for me. Similarly, I could eat better and focus a little more on getting to a leaner race weight but I am in a healthy weight range and try not to worry about it too much as long as my clothes still fit

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am enthusiastic and spend lots of time on this site! I love to support others' in their journeys. 

Jen - Congrats on the little one and glad to see you were able to pick up right where you left off with training. That is a really solid 10K performance recently. What is the HIM you will be doing?
2015-01-06 6:49 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by GAUG3

Hmmm.... not sure why I didn't notice this group before I joined Baowolf's Winter training.  If it is OK, I'll  jump in both groups since I'm doing huge winter base training for GCT 70.3 in May.

Here is a little blurb about me...

I'm married to a runner and I'm a daddy to 4 children (12, 9, 9, 9). I got into tris in 2011 after doing a few 5Ks here and there. I hated the shorter distances at first because I didn't want to stay red lined the whole race. I guess I like to be cooked long and slow. So, I did IM Augusta in 2012. Thought it was "fun" and signed up for another HIM in 2013 and did IMFL 2013. Training for an IM was great because I have an awesome wife who knows the importance of sticking to the plan. The support was there and she never complained. She joined me on the long runs. I did about 85% of my bike training on a trainer. I didn't have that big guilt from being away from the family on long ride days. I took 2014 off from racing because I wanted to give back to the family. Only thing I did was a 3 mile bridge swim... which really came out to be 3.6 miles.

Swimming is my strongest, then biking, then running. I have tons of improvement in all three areas; however, I'm focusing more on running. I just established my Tpace, FTP & LTHR for the start of 2015. I'm racing a HIM in May so I've been doing nothing but base training (11-17 hours a week). I will probably sign up for a couple more HIMs.  I'm weird... I love the trainer and treadmill.

Welcome aboard.Triplets huh. WOW! That must have been quite a surprise. I think that is great that you have the support from your family. That is a big part of being happy in this sport and that balance is something I always have to keep in mind and sometimes struggle with. I see you just started logging your training on BT so that is great. I want to check in on all of you frequently and check how things are going as you prepare for races in the Spring.
2015-01-06 6:53 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Not really a great day for me today - i woke up with a very unhappy tummy and resulted in me staying home.  I am starting to feel better - but it's probably better not to do any workouts today. 

Yesterday, i had a good swim. I finally spent some time working on my flip turns which I haven't quite gotten the hang of. 

Keep working on the flip turns. You will not regret it. I started doing them in my WU and CD and then eventually worked them into easier main sets and finally after about 2 months was able to work them into my threshold sets. There is definitely a learning curve but just stick with it. I was the guy practicing them after every workout just doing flips and working on my entry into the wall.
2015-01-06 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Sorry about the formatting. The Ipad does not let me start new paragraphs!

2015-01-07 5:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Sorry about the formatting. The Ipad does not let me start new paragraphs!

Any room for another member ?
2015-01-07 6:28 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Ryan MacSorry about the formatting. The Ipad does not let me start new paragraphs!
Any room for another member ?
Absolutely Marc. Always welcome.
2015-01-07 6:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NAME: marcag / Marc

STORY: Used to be quite a bit heavier (about 60lbs). Started to run for health reasons. I hadn't swam in 30 years but decided to go back to it in 2009. A friend convinced me to try a triathlon and I got addicted

CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly HIM and Olympic distance. I train about 10 hours per week during winter and about 15 during summer.

2014: I carried an injury from 2013 into 2014 and never got back to normal. I tried to compensate by overtraining and just made things worst. It seems well under control now.

2015 RACES: 2 or 3 HIMs and probably a few Olympics. Chicago ITU worlds in September is currently my ‘A’ race.

WEIGHTLOSS: Definitely need to drop a few pounds before the season starts.

I love the sport for many reasons. Of course I love the fitness part. I am a type 2 diabetic so the sport keeps me healthy. But I am also a geek. I love the data side of things. I am really interested in physiology. I love to experiment. I have tried many things, some more successfully than others. I have also developed a good network of very knowledgeable people that I learn from.

I was really surprised this group didn't fill up immediately. I have know Ryan from previous groups and he is a really knowledgeable guy. Glad to be able to share ideas.
2015-01-07 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Welcome aboard.Triplets huh. WOW! That must have been quite a surprise. I think that is great that you have the support from your family. That is a big part of being happy in this sport and that balance is something I always have to keep in mind and sometimes struggle with. I see you just started logging your training on BT so that is great. I want to check in on all of you frequently and check how things are going as you prepare for races in the Spring.

It was a HUGE surprise.  Yes...my wife is awesome.  We are actually going to relay GCT 70.3.  I'll do all 3; however, I will pass the chip to her on the run.

I figured I should log my workouts here.  I'll still use Garmin and TrainingPeak sites.

2015-01-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by marcag NAME: marcag / Marc STORY: Used to be quite a bit heavier (about 60lbs). Started to run for health reasons. I hadn't swam in 30 years but decided to go back to it in 2009. A friend convinced me to try a triathlon and I got addicted CURRENT TRAINING: Mostly HIM and Olympic distance. I train about 10 hours per week during winter and about 15 during summer. 2014: I carried an injury from 2013 into 2014 and never got back to normal. I tried to compensate by overtraining and just made things worst. It seems well under control now. 2015 RACES: 2 or 3 HIMs and probably a few Olympics. Chicago ITU worlds in September is currently my ‘A’ race. WEIGHTLOSS: Definitely need to drop a few pounds before the season starts. I love the sport for many reasons. Of course I love the fitness part. I am a type 2 diabetic so the sport keeps me healthy. But I am also a geek. I love the data side of things. I am really interested in physiology. I love to experiment. I have tried many things, some more successfully than others. I have also developed a good network of very knowledgeable people that I learn from. I was really surprised this group didn't fill up immediately. I have know Ryan from previous groups and he is a really knowledgeable guy. Glad to be able to share ideas.

Marc - Glad to have you and the group will certainly benefit from your knowledge of the sport.

Any idea what HIM's you are planning on yet?

2015-01-07 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Well we got destroyed with lake effect snow the last couple days (about 12-inches worth) so I moved my threshold run to today (2x2 mile Z4).  I am actually traveling and went 1.5 hours inland and they barely have any snow so should get a better result.

What does everybody have on tap today?

2015-01-07 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What does everybody have on tap today?

This morning was a 1h Z1 base run on the treadmill.  This evening is 1h ride on the trainer focusing on force reps.

2015-01-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

My run had me questioning my sanity.  7 degrees and -10 wind chill but luckily on pavement with just a few slick spots.

2015-01-07 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Any idea what HIM's you are planning on yet?

I am registered for Galveston but not sure I will do it. I have a few benchmarks I want to accomplish before making the decision. I won't reserve plane tickets until I meet them. But so far, so good. It will be a hard race for me coming out of a Canadian winter with little time on the road.

I will do Tremblant 70.3 for sure. I am working with a friend and want to race it with him.

I would love to do Bahrain. But that's a complicated trip.
2015-01-07 1:39 PM

User image

Ryan,

Planning my first HIM (Galveston, TX) in late April. Sounds like this is the group for me. My bio below...

NAME: Shawn Kibel

STORY: Athletically, I was a former DIV I college football player and Marine in my younger days. However, I found myself last year at 42 years old, fat, and out of shape. Last April I decided to change all of that and started off simply by running a couple of times a week. I was tracking my runs on Endomondo and cross posting to Facebook. Before too long, an old friend noticed my progress and baited me into my first triathlon. "Hey Shawn, looks like you are making good progress. You should come race this sprint tri with us!" Had no idea what I was in for! I trained hard from April up to my first tri last June. I made great progress and lost a bunch of weight. That first triathlon hooked me and I ran two more sprints to round out the year. Once it got colder here in TX, I switched to running and ran two half marathons (Nov. and Dec.). I believe in "BHAGS", Big Hairy Audacious Goals and have set a few. 1. Race a HIM 2. Race a IM and 3. Get to Kona some day. I'm in this for the long run and am looking forward to the many races along the way.

FAMILY STATUS: Single dad with 3 kids. Gracie (8), C.J. (4), and Logan (2). All three live with me full time.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train approximately 8 hours a week, but am trying to ramp that up to 10-12 hours a week as the time starts winding down to Galveston HIM. I am mostly limited to working out between 4-6a.m. due to work and the kids. I am able to get in longer workouts on every other weekend, when the kids are with my ex. With the cold weather, my recent focus has been on the bike (indoor trainer) as it is my biggest weakness anyway. I have also been hitting the weights more and trying to build up my functional strength.

2014 RACES: June-Sprint Tri, July - Sprint Tri, Sept - Sprint Tri (U.S. Open, Rockwall, TX). November - Half Marathon, December - Half Marathon (Metro PCS Dallas Marathon). I made great progress along the way.

2015 Races: Original goals for 2015 were to step up through a couple of OLYs and then a HIM, but the schedule here in TX didn't work out so well for me with Galveston being early in the year. Either way I feel like I should be able to prepare for this race if I stay focused. Signed up for Galveston 70.3 and will look to round out the year with some other sprints and OLY's mixed in. Maybe another 70.3 toward the end of the season. Galveston is the only "Goal" race for the year and in the others I will just look to continue my performance improvements and experience level.

WEIGHT LOSS: Have gone from 250 to 180 lbs in the last two years. Have been hanging around 180 for the past 2 months. I am 6' 1". I'm good with 180, everybody says I am too skinny, but would probably like to be closer to 170 for races. I still have a very little extra flab (5-10 pounds) that I would rather not have to carry for 70.3 miles!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I am already in the habit of logging my workouts on several sites and do so regularly. I also track my diet on MyFitnessPal. I also have a premium membership on TrainingPeaks (if that helps) and use TrainerRoad regularly (at least for the winter). I am humble enough to know I don't know it all and really appreciate the advice other triathletes have offered me along the way. I have short and long term goal that I am working toward.

2015-01-07 2:29 PM

User image

Name: Dean Reed

Story:
I am a swimming coach and personal trainer at the largest fitness center in metro New Orleans. I have done many forms of exercise of course and was doing a lot of strength circuits for many years and just got bored and needed something to strive for and set goals to continue my lifestyle in fitness. I took over a couple swim classes geared towards triathletes about a year and a half ago and they encouraged/inspired my to do my first race which was a run/bike/run duatlon in June last year. I really loved the challenge and was hooked so I started training for an Oly to be held in Oct. Funny story about that race is that the swim was cancelled due to thick fog on the water that morning. The race director added a 5K run in place of the swim so it turn out to be a Du 5K/40K/10K run/bike/run (2:52 was my time). So, even though the swim is where I can excel the best I have not done a triathlon yet. I have always loved swimming and competed through college. I was an above average swimmer but never a world beater. I would final at our conference championships but never qualified for NCAA or Nationals. I have done a number of open water swim races and most have been 5K in distance. I am looking to maybe do a 10K swim some time in the future. I have decided to do the New Orleans HIM which will be in April this year. I am a little concerned about being ready to run that far due to running being my limiter. I am dealing with runners knee right now and I am only doing 12-15 miles/week.

Family:
Divorced dad of 2 teenage boys age 16 & 13

Training:
I am a gold member here and I just started a custom training plan I created with the software here on the site. I have chosen to do a beginners basic plan with 2 workouts for each sport every week. I have been very consistent with my training since about April of last year with a little drop off through the holidays and due to weather.

2014 Races:
Bridgeman Duatlon June
Big Cajun Triathlon October

2015 Races:
New Orleans Triathlon 3/29/15 Olympic distance
New Orleans Half Ironman 4/19/15
Bridgeman Duathlon in June
Haven't planned any other races for sure yet but I will probably do Big Cajun again in Oct.

Weight Loss:
Not really an issue for me as I am 6'1" tall and weigh 185. I am 50 years old and don't have the six pack I had back in college but my body composition is probably around 10-12% body fat. I think that will go down some as I train for the HIM.
2015-01-07 2:29 PM
in reply to: ShawnTX

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Welcome Shawn and congrats on the weight loss.  That is a big accomplishment.

The jump from sprint distance to Half Iron distance is definitely substantial but certainly doable and sounds like you have a great attitude.  Are you planning to follow any sort of structured training plan for Galveston and what is your goal for the race?

2015-01-07 2:49 PM
in reply to: swimdean

User image

Forgot to put why I would be a good member of this group. Well, I am not the greatest coach on the planet but I would love to add to the group by answering any swimming questions that anyone would like to post. Also, I am a trainer and could help with strength training questions. I am certified by ACE and my degree is in Exercise Physiology, also certified swim coach from ASCA. I think that mentoring or coaching sound be circular. Meaning you get back what you put out in the world and I love to be of service to others. I get such pleasure out of helping people reach their goals and I am sure all of you can help me reach mine since I am a newbie to triathlon.
2015-01-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: swimdean

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Hi Dean - you are in the right place!

Always nice to have a swim instructor in the group!  It is not uncommon for lifelong swimmers to have trouble with the run just due to the impact on the joints from running that is really non-existent in swimming.  Just be patient with the running and build up slowly.  Looks like you are about 20 weeks out from race day which is a good length of time for preparation.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28949 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46052 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54091 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.