BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-04-14 7:56 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Originally posted by slornow

Good work racers. Sounds like everything is gearing up for the season with upcoming races. Galveston should be a good race....I know several folks doing it.

I raced another sprint yesterday. It was rainy for the early part of the race so the bike was a bit tricky at times. Course also has about a mile on sand/wooded trail for the run and that was pretty nasty after the rain. Another race with crappy swim, solid bike and good run. Ended up with AG win and around 12th overall. Not sure what is going on with my swim but hopefully I can figure it out with a couple of big training weeks before Gulf Coast HIM. Hoping the water will stay cool but we have had consistently warm temps in the upper 70s for the last 8-9 days. Maybe we will have a cold snap or two before the end of April.

Nice result Randy!  Are you feeling bad in the water or just not happy with the swim time?

HaHa...yes to both.  I get about 200 into the swim and all I can think of is getting the hell finished with the swim. No panic but just "uncomfortable". Maybe just went out too hard in the 2 races. I went to a swim clinic in early Feb. and tried to adapt some of the suggestions from the instructor.....things went downhill and eventually, despite serious effort, I decided to just get back to my normal way of swimming.  In the pool I feel like effort level should be producing 100s 4-5 seconds faster than where I am right now. I have lost approx that on intervals since January despite decent, but not big, volume.

In looking at race splits i have given up approx 30 seconds in the swim in each race to guys I am usually equal to in the swim. Too bad there aren't many duathlons down here in the South. I'll keep at it in search for the magic unicorn of swimming.     

The reason I ask is because of the variability of course lengths.  Sometimes I will feel great and look at my watch out of the swim and it is way slower than what I would have anticipated.  So, I usually judge myself against other guys I know of as you have.  Keep at it - usually the comfortably uncomfortable comes with just racing more so not all too surprising coming from the off season.

2015-04-14 8:10 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey guys, 

I need to catch up a bit - we had a very stressful week last week and workouts were not a priority at all.

though, i did make it to swim on Wednesday and managed a decent 400m benchmark result - 7:55. I am pretty happy with that. Not blazing at all but a good result for me. I felt like i paced it well

So, on Thursday, we took our little one to a kids' clinic because she just wasn't getting better - she'd been sick since Monday and she was continuing to have a fever.  I had taken her to her doctor on Tuesday and everything was okay.  Anyway, we ended up being admitted to hospital and staying for three nights.  She may have asthma but was also at risk for pneumonia.  Her oxygen saturation was low and she was a bit dehydrated.  Definitely a very stressful and difficult time.  She's not quite two years old so watching her go through it made us feel very powerless. 

Thankfully we're at home and she seems to be perking up.  (We've watched Frozen about a thousand times) - i managed to get to swimming yesterday and did my hour run (which is usually today) yesterday.  Nothing wrong with getting a bit ahead on training especially when i had some unintended rest days. 

The weather is really getting great so it's time to think about getting the bike outdoors and to start bike commuting to work! 

2015-04-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey guys, 

I need to catch up a bit - we had a very stressful week last week and workouts were not a priority at all.

though, i did make it to swim on Wednesday and managed a decent 400m benchmark result - 7:55. I am pretty happy with that. Not blazing at all but a good result for me. I felt like i paced it well

So, on Thursday, we took our little one to a kids' clinic because she just wasn't getting better - she'd been sick since Monday and she was continuing to have a fever.  I had taken her to her doctor on Tuesday and everything was okay.  Anyway, we ended up being admitted to hospital and staying for three nights.  She may have asthma but was also at risk for pneumonia.  Her oxygen saturation was low and she was a bit dehydrated.  Definitely a very stressful and difficult time.  She's not quite two years old so watching her go through it made us feel very powerless. 

Thankfully we're at home and she seems to be perking up.  (We've watched Frozen about a thousand times) - i managed to get to swimming yesterday and did my hour run (which is usually today) yesterday.  Nothing wrong with getting a bit ahead on training especially when i had some unintended rest days. 

The weather is really getting great so it's time to think about getting the bike outdoors and to start bike commuting to work! 

Jen - It is always very difficult when the little ones are sick.  I know with our almost 2 year old, that he still cannot tell you exactly what is wrong which always makes it harder.

He also got diagnosed with asthma and has been taking breathing treatments for the last year.  It seems to really help.  Prior to those it took him forever just to get rid of a common cold or any sickness really. 

Be prepared for Frozen 2 .

2015-04-14 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Good ride for me today with main set at 4x6 minutes Z4 power.  So glad to be riding outside again.  The forecast is 60 degrees and sunny all week.  Amazing how that makes training so much more fun again especially after a long winter.

2015-04-14 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia

Good ride for me today with main set at 4x6 minutes Z4 power.  So glad to be riding outside again.  The forecast is 60 degrees and sunny all week.  Amazing how that makes training so much more fun again especially after a long winter.

Nice. I did 2x15 @ threshold HR yesterday on the trainer. My Vector's are still with Garmin (but I have been told they will cover it) so I'm just relying on HR at the moment. Was a good tough workout.
2015-04-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

I'd love to see some photos of where everyone lives and your training neighbourhood. I'll start.

This is Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia, where I currently live.

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

(IMG_0045 (2).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
FullSizeRender.jpg (1779KB - 15 downloads)
IMG_0045 (2).JPG (1591KB - 16 downloads)

2015-04-16 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Thanks for sharing. I've been seeing a ton of programs on tv about Australia and it sounds like an awesome place. And not just because we're only just now coming out of the deep freeze.

I live right in Toronto which is a pretty big city but has some excellent training areas. This is the waterfront trail: The city's been investing over the last number of years in parks along the waterfront and this is a bridge that i cross very frequently on my runs (and often on my bike) - it's about 3km from my house.  This spot also connects into a pathway system that is really nice along a river. 

And here is a beach that i do open water swimming. It looks really nice here but you have to drive through some depressing industrial areas to get there.  It's usually very cold to swim in.  It's super popular though. there are shallows markers so it gives people something to follow when swimming but in the summer it's fully of canoes, kayaks, motor boats, kite surfers. 

2015-04-16 8:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Great pics! I just got a new phone and half my pics got lost. The best part of my location is Lake Michigan of course! this is my open water swim spot and usually do hill repeats on dune right behind.

Edited by Ryan Mac 2015-04-16 8:35 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (333KB - 14 downloads)
2015-04-17 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Ryan, that's really nice! 

I stole my images from Google ... I was hoping for some of the skyline because there are several points on the waterfront trail where there are stunning views of the skyline. 

Anyway, training is going well. 

Not sure if i mentioned it or not but I recently finished a 'challenge' with my husband.  I gave up junk food snack from March 9-April 9. This was a big challenge for me - i love all the junk and would pretty much have some sort of 'treat' every day. It went really well and just as the challenge was ending my little one was sick so i did eat some junk but i am kind off it now again. I am really pleased with how i feel and the fact that I am generally eating more fruits/veg for snacks and cutting out so much refined sugar. I don't feel like i am denying myself - i can have it if i really want it - but it's nice not to want it and have created the habit of not reaching for it when i feel hungry. 

Crazy, i haven't had potato chips or ice cream since before March 9! 

2015-04-20 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I know at least a few of us are racing Galveston 70.3 this weekend -- how's everyone feeling? 

I had a pretty consistent training block, so I have a decent amount of fitness, but I never was able to get back to where I was last year.  Had a lot of stress in my life, so I suspect I wasn't recovering well, and have since changed my race plans / goals....really just looking to get out there, push myself a bit, and get an idea of where I am so I can target some improvements for a late season race (still TBD).

I did manage to "break" my wetsuit on Saturday (that's what I get for being a couple pounds over last years' race weight!) -- the slider came off the track and I can't seem to get it back on.  I'm taking it to a tailor today to see if they have any more luck, but I expect I'll just have to replace the zipper altogether.  Unfortunately, will probably be borrowing a wetsuit for the race.  Oh well, rollin' with the punches!

2015-04-20 2:00 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

So I know at least a few of us are racing Galveston 70.3 this weekend -- how's everyone feeling? 

I had a pretty consistent training block, so I have a decent amount of fitness, but I never was able to get back to where I was last year.  Had a lot of stress in my life, so I suspect I wasn't recovering well, and have since changed my race plans / goals....really just looking to get out there, push myself a bit, and get an idea of where I am so I can target some improvements for a late season race (still TBD).

I did manage to "break" my wetsuit on Saturday (that's what I get for being a couple pounds over last years' race weight!) -- the slider came off the track and I can't seem to get it back on.  I'm taking it to a tailor today to see if they have any more luck, but I expect I'll just have to replace the zipper altogether.  Unfortunately, will probably be borrowing a wetsuit for the race.  Oh well, rollin' with the punches!

I am feeling good. I have reasonable expectations for this time of the year with the limited outdoor riding. Yesterday was my first outdoor ride around home.

My swim is ok, not faster than last year but I think I am more endurant. My watts are fine on short stuff but completely unproven on the longer. My run is about where it was this time last year but I would need another 2 months to get it where I would want. I don't have any speedwork at all.

My goal is to not cramp up on the run which has plagued me for a while. Last week the physio session was brutual. I have two muscles around the adductors that apparently are not properly separated so he decided to separate them. The pain lasted about 4 days. I have another session tomorrow so I have to trust I'll be ok by Sunday

Riding outdoor yesterday my watts were bang on. I only rode 2hrs but it was a breeze. I am hoping i feel that way next weekend.

If I don't walk, I am a happy man.

I will bike and start the run conservatively. At this point I rather leave 10min on the table than push it and end up walking. If successful I will simply ratch it up a notch at Tremblant in June.

2015-04-22 12:20 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I will definitely be rooting for you out there in Galveston! 

Here's hoping for good weather and light winds! :D 

2015-04-22 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by marcag

I am feeling good. I have reasonable expectations for this time of the year with the limited outdoor riding. Yesterday was my first outdoor ride around home. My swim is ok, not faster than last year but I think I am more endurant. My watts are fine on short stuff but completely unproven on the longer. My run is about where it was this time last year but I would need another 2 months to get it where I would want. I don't have any speedwork at all. My goal is to not cramp up on the run which has plagued me for a while. Last week the physio session was brutual. I have two muscles around the adductors that apparently are not properly separated so he decided to separate them. The pain lasted about 4 days. I have another session tomorrow so I have to trust I'll be ok by Sunday Riding outdoor yesterday my watts were bang on. I only rode 2hrs but it was a breeze. I am hoping i feel that way next weekend. If I don't walk, I am a happy man. I will bike and start the run conservatively. At this point I rather leave 10min on the table than push it and end up walking. If successful I will simply ratch it up a notch at Tremblant in June.

I think you both are taking the right approach.  Obviously, have to deal with the cards you are dealt, whether it be injuries or just life getting in the way.

Have a great race and look forward to hearing about it.

2015-04-22 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Tough week of training scheduled for me this week.  I am definitely paying attention to recovery, sleep and nutrition.  Otherwise I seem to get sick during weeks like this.

Ran 16 miles yesterday and it started snowing half way through.  A nice 'what the hell' moment.  4000 in the pool today.  Rest of the week is mainly big bike volume and run quality with a tough brick scheduled for Sunday.

I am planning on a 25k (15.5 miles) run race in 2 weeks.  That distance kinda scares me so a little nervous about it.  I still feel like it is a distance you can run fast but long enough to really trash me.  Probably going to be racing every 2-3 weeks for the next 2-3 months with a mix of triathlon and run races.

2015-04-22 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia

I am feeling good. I have reasonable expectations for this time of the year with the limited outdoor riding. Yesterday was my first outdoor ride around home.

My swim is ok, not faster than last year but I think I am more endurant. My watts are fine on short stuff but completely unproven on the longer. My run is about where it was this time last year but I would need another 2 months to get it where I would want. I don't have any speedwork at all.

My goal is to not cramp up on the run which has plagued me for a while. Last week the physio session was brutual. I have two muscles around the adductors that apparently are not properly separated so he decided to separate them. The pain lasted about 4 days. I have another session tomorrow so I have to trust I'll be ok by Sunday

Riding outdoor yesterday my watts were bang on. I only rode 2hrs but it was a breeze. I am hoping i feel that way next weekend.

If I don't walk, I am a happy man.

I will bike and start the run conservatively. At this point I rather leave 10min on the table than push it and end up walking. If successful I will simply ratch it up a notch at Tremblant in June.

I reckon the #1 fault of most racer's is going too hard on the bike. My most recent HIM I rode about 10mins slower than the previous time on the same course, despite feeling fitter (stayed to a power target), but ran about 10 mins faster, and didn't cramp.
2015-04-23 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

I will definitely be rooting for you out there in Galveston! 

Here's hoping for good weather and light winds! :D 

I'm kinda hoping for strong winds and hot/humid conditions....that'll suit me better than most coming from out of state

Sorry, Marc!  

Honestly, though, the weather does look pretty decent.  Low of 73, high of 81, winds around 15mph -- forecasting a possibility of rain (thunderstorm) in the mid-afternoon, but those usually come and go over a short period (and it's ~40% chance, so I don't expect it'll be an issue).  Regardless, I'm just looking to go out and have a good time.  I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be able to do on each of the three legs, so planning to pace accordingly!

2015-04-23 11:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good luck to those doing Galveston this weekend. Hope the weather won't be too brutal. When I did it 2 years ago we had mostly cross winds on the bike course with a slight headwind on the way back. I remember the temps were not too bad that day....strange 3 lap run course with no shade. Post last names or race numbers if you are comfortable. I always like to see how folks are doing and know others doing the race as well.

Edited by slornow 2015-04-23 11:51 AM
2015-04-23 4:44 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Bib #328

2015-04-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Bib #328

Have a great race Nicole & Marc!

2015-04-24 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by stuart_little_9

I am feeling good. I have reasonable expectations for this time of the year with the limited outdoor riding. Yesterday was my first outdoor ride around home. My swim is ok, not faster than last year but I think I am more endurant. My watts are fine on short stuff but completely unproven on the longer. My run is about where it was this time last year but I would need another 2 months to get it where I would want. I don't have any speedwork at all. My goal is to not cramp up on the run which has plagued me for a while. Last week the physio session was brutual. I have two muscles around the adductors that apparently are not properly separated so he decided to separate them. The pain lasted about 4 days. I have another session tomorrow so I have to trust I'll be ok by Sunday Riding outdoor yesterday my watts were bang on. I only rode 2hrs but it was a breeze. I am hoping i feel that way next weekend. If I don't walk, I am a happy man. I will bike and start the run conservatively. At this point I rather leave 10min on the table than push it and end up walking. If successful I will simply ratch it up a notch at Tremblant in June.
I reckon the #1 fault of most racer's is going too hard on the bike. My most recent HIM I rode about 10mins slower than the previous time on the same course, despite feeling fitter (stayed to a power target), but ran about 10 mins faster, and didn't cramp.

Absolutely it is.  I would say that I have really only had 1 good HIM run (out of 7 or so) and that was my very first where I biked well within myself and run conditions were absolutely unbelievable for a fast run.

The problem for me is that I do not want to give any time away and I want to race on the edge.  My HIM last year I biked 2:24 and ran 1:37 (good conditions) and then biked 2:22 and ran 1:47 (hot run).  Neither did I run even close to well.  The 1:37 I walked at least a portion of every mile of the last half of the run.  My run training was minimal last year though (less than 25mpw most weeks)

It is extremely difficult to adjust to conditions in a race that long.  You can be good at one point and then the sun beats down and you are fried.  That is what makes the distance so hard to figure out for me.

This year I feel pretty strong on the run so will be interesting to see how this year turns out for me.  Maybe I can figure it out .

2015-04-27 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey - awesome job to Nicole and Marc!!! Great results for early season!

2015-04-27 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, i ran a 10k race yesterday. I didn't train specifically for it. It's a race i've been to every year and raced all but two. They raffle off a year-lease to a Mercedes at the post-race. All finishers are eligible so it's pretty cool. But I still haven't won - hahaha! 

Anyway, I ran a really solid race - i decided to use it as a heart rate test and to gauge my fitness basically. In December I ran 48:44 as a PB on that distance on a flatter course where I specifically trained for it.  So, i came in 50:03 and I was pretty spent but I felt really good about that result. Of course I would have like those 4 seconds to go under 50 but whatevs. I ran hard and kept the mental strength up when it would have been easy to slow  (the 5k race merges with the 10k in the last 3k so we we ended up merging with the slower end of the 5k group and have to do dodging and weaving to keep up the pace - really easy to give in then

In training for faster results I've noticed a huge gain when i focus on foot cadence. Taking smaller, quicker steps makes such a huge difference. Do you have any other little tricks, either mental or physical to break through speed barriers? 

2015-04-29 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Nice job Jen!  Sounds like you gave it your all.

The only advice I would have is to try to include really tough efforts in training that test your mental fortitude.  Alot of folks have a hard time doing that unless it is a race.  But if done periodically, it really helps in a race situation to embrace the suck as they say and push on.

Also, great job to Marc & Nicole.  I saw Nicole was 5:31 and Marc at 4:58 finish times.  The swim times looked slower across the board, including pros.  Was the swim long or just tough conditions?

2015-04-30 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Swim turned out to be wetsuit optional -- the wetsuit wave (the last one for the day) was pretty huge, but most went without a wetsuit, which is why the swim was slow.  The water, however, was as calm as I've ever seen it!

Bike was cool, windy, and had some rain....of course, the sun came out for the run!  I'm writing up a race report now, but I'm happy with how the race went.  It was about as I'd expected it, given my current fitness; I was thinking I'd be faster on the run, but for the first time ever, I actually moved up in my AG on the run, rather than watching my hard work pass me by, so I'm very pleased!

2015-04-30 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice job Jen!  Sounds like you gave it your all.

The only advice I would have is to try to include really tough efforts in training that test your mental fortitude.  Alot of folks have a hard time doing that unless it is a race.  But if done periodically, it really helps in a race situation to embrace the suck as they say and push on.

Also, great job to Marc & Nicole.  I saw Nicole was 5:31 and Marc at 4:58 finish times.  The swim times looked slower across the board, including pros.  Was the swim long or just tough conditions?

I do believe the swim was long. My 910xt is actually very consistent and it shows the race to be a bit long. Maybe 75m.

We actually watched Potts swim and knew it would be long based on his time. He rarely goes 24min.

I swam much straither than usual

(Screenshot 2015-04-30 13.14.58.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2015-04-30 13.14.58.png (74KB - 14 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28944 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46037 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54078 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.