General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-27 10:14 PM

User image

Subject: trainer
Wanted to know. I got a trainer for Christmas. Do I need a trainer wheel? I am trading the bike in at tax time for a upgrade either way. I ha e a Giant Defy 3 with a stock Giant 700 25c SR4 tire. Will this hold up for 3 months?

2014-12-28 12:31 AM
in reply to: kt2007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: RE: trainer
You won't need a separate wheel just for the trainer. Anything will work.

As far as the tire goes, what you have will also work. Personally, when I have a tire that's reached the end of its life outside, it's relegated to trainer duty. My current trainer tire has lasted through the past 2 winters. Though, you could also get a dedicated trainer-specific tire. The rubber is thicker and they last pretty much forever:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1168092_-1...

2014-12-28 1:18 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

If your hassle tolerance is like mine, get a cheap wheel with matching cassette with a trainer tire and use it. By "matching" I mean one that doesn't force you to adjust your rear derailleur when you swap trainer wheel for outdoor wheel. Then just swap wheels when you go from trainer to outdoors.

You won't need that right away, but for long term best results it's the way to go.

2014-12-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Great thread. I got a fluid trainer for xmas and after one 45 minute ride you can notice the amount of tire that I burned thru. Any way to make the tire last longer?

2014-12-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I originally had a cheap off-brand fluid trainer and it did not have adequate cooling. After a ride the cooling fins were hot enough to burn. I got a KurtKinetic fluid trainer and it stays much cooler. Even so, when using a standard tire material from the tire would accumulate on the trainer cylinder the tire pressed against. I got a "Tacx Trainer tyre" and this has corrected this problem.

I got a cracked wheel from my LBS that could not be used on the road but was fine for the trainer. I bought a cassette for ti that matched my tri bike wheel so I can easily change out the wheels to from inside to outside.

Edited by nickster 2014-12-28 8:04 AM
2014-12-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Great thread. I got a fluid trainer for xmas and after one 45 minute ride you can notice the amount of tire that I burned thru. Any way to make the tire last longer?

Are you sure that you have the right amount of tension on the resistance unit? Not enough tension can cause problems too

2014-12-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5077267

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I ride my trainer only every week or two and I have given up changing anything. Same wheel, same tire. The rest of my miles are outside and I figure the wear and tear out there will do me in before the trainer does. When I lived in a colder climate I used an old tire for the winter trainer months.
2014-12-28 9:21 AM

I just use them up in the winter and buy new ones in the spring before moving outside
2014-12-28 12:27 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

I opted for a trainer wheel and my life has been better ever since. I use the trainer tire too and that thing is a HUGE pita to get on and off since it's so stiff. After killing about 5 tubes, I found it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy a cheap $45 wheel and just leave the trainer tire mounted. Add to the fact that it saves me 5-10 minutes of swapping tires twice, it was a no brainer for me.
2014-12-28 4:37 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Yes I can see just after 3 rides (about 45miles) that I can see the area that it hits on the trainer. This is my 1st time ever on a trainer and 1st road bike and just wanted to find out before it was to late. Than I have to walk in my LBS and look kinda silly cause I just didn't ask.
2014-12-29 3:56 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by nrpoulin Great thread. I got a fluid trainer for xmas and after one 45 minute ride you can notice the amount of tire that I burned thru. Any way to make the tire last longer?

I have used an old GP4000s and a Rubio Pro Slick on my KK fluid trainer.  The Pro Slick had small rubber bits all around the trainer after one ride and was down to the threads after 2 rides, after that I bought a trainer tire.  The GP4000 didn't have the small rubber bits and seemed like it would last a lot longer. Each tire is different in the compound so life/durability is too.  BTW, with my trainer I calibrate the tension by measuring how long it takes to spindown from 20mph to 0.

That said, for the last 5 years, other than the one time I played with the GP4000s to check it out, I've used the dedicated trainer tire as most of my rides are on the trainer.  It's allowed me to get good at changing the tires out.  I did have a dedicated trainer wheel for a season were I just swapped the cassette over but sold that when I was built my new bike.

If tires are a b*tch to mount on your particular rim, there is tool that can make it easier to get the last few inches of the tire bead onto the rim.  My old Easton SL were very tough to get the GP4000s onto them.  On the other hand, the Felt TTR rims I currently train on I can mount the GP4000s with my hands. 

2015-01-01 1:13 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

I am going to just continue to use my tire I have on for now. Thanks for all the info. I will be trading this bike in on a new bike in about 3 months. So as long as this 1 holds up on the trainer and on the road for me for a few months I will be fine. The bike I am getting is the actual bike I will be doing races on and doing events.
2015-01-01 1:15 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

I am going to just continue to use my tire I have on for now. Thanks for all the info. I will be trading this bike in on a new bike in about 3 months. So as long as this 1 holds up on the trainer and on the road for me for a few months I will be fine. The bike I am getting is the actual bike I will be doing races on and doing events.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trainer Rss Feed