General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What results should I expect on a road bike vs mountain bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-12-31 12:36 PM

Subject: What results should I expect on a road bike vs mountain bike?
Possibly an odd question.

I am planning to compete in my first sprint triathlon in April and have been working at it pretty good since May. I want to be competitive, but I don't have a road bike. My times are 9:30 for 500m swim, 25:00 for 5k run, and about 49:00 for 12 mi on my mountain bike. Looking at some past results of this triathlon, a lot of guys are riding 12 mi in around 30:00. I think my best opportunity to cut off some time is on the bike.

Should I be able to expect to cut off a lot of time just by using a good bike? Or just log a lot more miles on my mountain bike?

Thanks for any good advice!

2014-12-31 12:45 PM
in reply to: 2001jeepwrangler

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: What results should I expect on a road bike vs mountain bike?
When I jumped from a mountain bike (40lb) to a road bike (27lb) I gained 1-1.5mph right off the bat.
2014-12-31 12:51 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

Thanks Rick!
2014-12-31 12:55 PM

User image

I gained 3 mph but my mountain bike is affectionately called "the trashcan". Even better than the increase in MPH, it increased my enthusiasm to ride on the road in public. Way less embarrassing than the trashcan. If you can afford it without issue, just do it and thank us later.
2014-12-31 1:05 PM
in reply to: Sillygal

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

You have three issues with a mountain bike that can negatively affect speed over a road bike: weight, rolling resistance,and suspension.  If the course is flat weight is not a huge issue.  Weight affects acceleration and climbing.  The tires have much more rolling resistance.  You can swap out tires with ones that have less tread.  Not sure if it's worth the money though as when all is said and done you can pick up a used road bike pretty cheap.  If you can lock or stiffen the front fork you will waste less energy.

2014-12-31 2:33 PM

User image

Is your mountain bike setup with road tires?

2014-12-31 2:36 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by popsracer

You have three issues with a mountain bike that can negatively affect speed over a road bike: weight, rolling resistance,and suspension.  If the course is flat weight is not a huge issue.  Weight affects acceleration and climbing.  The tires have much more rolling resistance.  You can swap out tires with ones that have less tread.  Not sure if it's worth the money though as when all is said and done you can pick up a used road bike pretty cheap.  If you can lock or stiffen the front fork you will waste less energy.

A fourth issue being position is huge.  There is no comparison between a road bike and a mountain bike.  I could not race a rival on a MTB without knowing that I was putting myself in a severe disadvantage.

2014-12-31 2:36 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Same race, same weather type, different years and training:

MTB best 17.7mph (was doing a lot of MTB riding), Road bike 19.7 mph (had the RB less than a full year), Tri-bike 20.5 mph (Had TB less than a year and training was limited due to injury).  Best TB speed was 23.4mph in same race (but run sucked!).

2014-12-31 3:50 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
If you really want to be competitive then yes you should absolutely get a road or tri bike. If you are still "trying" triathlons out and not sure you are going to stick with it you can certainly run the mountain bike. If sticking on the MTB then lock out or stiffen the suspension as much as possible and buy some slick tires. You still wont approach the performance of a road bike but it will be much better. Also consider picking up a used road bike if budget allows. Above all else, ride a lot.
2014-12-31 4:16 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

I had a flat bar road bike not unlike a mountain bike with road tyres, and decided to splash some cash just before my first ever tri on a road bike (I love cycling so it was only a matter of time!), and road it once before the first tri. Bad idea, the bike was set up completely wrong, and I assumed the pain (severe under my legs and bum) was just getting used to it. Once I got it sorted, I am faster on it but also feel more the part which helps for training!

If you can afford it, I would go for it, especially if you know you will keep cycling. I know a lot of guys with road bikes from 10+ years ago, just because there's newer doesn't mean better/you need it. My advice would be to get it well in advance so you can both train on it and get it set up right
2014-12-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: engima

Thanks for the info everyone!

Even though I have net yet competed in a triathlon, I can't see myself giving it up. It makes me feel great and I hate the days when I can't run, swim, or bike.

I don't plan on sinking a ton of cash into a new bike, but it looks like I can get a used one for an ok price.

How do I determine the correct size? I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. (will be 190 or less at time of race).

Thanks again!

2015-01-02 7:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by 2001jeepwrangler

Even though I have net yet competed in a triathlon, I can't see myself giving it up. It makes me feel great and I hate the days when I can't run, swim, or bike.

I don't plan on sinking a ton of cash into a new bike, but it looks like I can get a used one for an ok price.

How do I determine the correct size? I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. (will be 190 or less at time of race).

Thanks again!

If you can afford new, go to a bike shop and have them size you. Keep in mind that different companies and bike styles have different sizing. I am 5'4", and my road bike is a 50 cm. My touring bike is 46. The seat height on the touring bike is slightly higher than the road bike because of the higher bottom bracket.
If you can't afford a bike shop, see if you can have an experienced friend go with you to look at used bikes. Something to keep in mind is that some bike shops sell used bikes and will often back them up with a couple months of service if there is a problem.
I definitely would not want to do a race on my mt bike. Like others said, suspension, tires, and position will slow you down and drain energy for the run.
2015-01-02 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by 2001jeepwrangler Thanks for the info everyone! Even though I have net yet competed in a triathlon, I can't see myself giving it up. It makes me feel great and I hate the days when I can't run, swim, or bike. I don't plan on sinking a ton of cash into a new bike, but it looks like I can get a used one for an ok price. How do I determine the correct size? I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. (will be 190 or less at time of race). Thanks again!

Hard to say on the sizing as it depends on how you are shaped/proportioned (torso/leg ratio), back/neck flexibility, etc.  I'm 5'10, have a long torso with neck issues and am an in-betweener with the sizing.  I'm more comfortable on a taller 56cm frame than a shorter 54 frame (e.g. Felt's bike sizing chart).  If you plan on being in it for a long time then it's best to find a bike shop that will point you in the right direction so you don't waste $ on an ill fitting bike, where they can recommend a certain makes/model.  Then you can shop for either new or used, many will roll in the fitting charge into the purchase of a new bike from them.  Slowtwitch has a list of fitters but non are listed in Wyoming, depending on your exact location you might have to travel such as to CO where there are a lot of fitters.  Maybe there's a LBS in your area not listed that knows what they're doing and can provide the same service.

2015-01-02 12:50 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I seem to recall easily getting 2 mph faster instantly switching from my full suspension MTB (with slicks) to a properly fit road bike and riding on the hoods.  Add another MPH onto that if you are in a nice aero position and TT bike or drops of a roadie..

2015-01-02 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
" don't plan on sinking a ton of cash into a new bike..."

Never heard anyone say this before
2015-01-02 5:08 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Oh... and in the spirit of full disclosure...

The road bike I jumped to was a WalMart special. GMC Denali (mfg by Kent). The tires are wider than what you would find on a low-end LBS bike and the crankset is for a mountain bike, so I didn't gain much gearing (if any) just lost overall weight, some rolling resistance and better positioning

2015-01-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by 2001jeepwrangler

Thanks again!

Hey, You're going to absolutely love the move from MB to road bike. I hear you on budget, when I got my road bike I had no plans to even do it, but the deal I got made me buy then and deal with bills later lol
Unsure what your budget is, but my brother just put his Cannondale CAAD10 up for sale on craigslist - used, but mint condition dude. He's meticulous. I think the size might fit you

Edited by TJHammer 2015-01-03 10:32 AM
2015-01-03 12:12 PM

User image

Austin, Texas

I don't know if you are actually into mountain biking but if you are you should consider doing some XTERRA races (off-road triathlons).  The bike is the biggest expense of triathlons so if you already have a mountain bike, and like riding it, you may find you enjoy XTERRA races.

I'll note that I only do XTERRAs but I still have a road bike and I ride it about as much or more than my mountain bike.  A road bike is great for commuting, riding when the trails are muddy, riding on the indoor trainer, and just general training rides.  I don't ride the same routes enough to really compare but I'd say I'm at least 3mph faster on my road bike and probably more.

2015-01-05 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've recorded this ride twice. Once last summer on a road bike on a solo ride and last week on a full suspension mountain bike with my SO and I was mostly drafting.

Here's the segment times.

• Clover Rd Climb Aug 17, 2013=1:51 Dec 29, 2014=2:16
  • Pemberton Plateau to Gates Lake Aug 17, 2013=1:00:02 Dec 29, 2014=1:24:13
  • Plateau to Main St. Mt. Currie Aug 17, 2013=7:13 Dec 29, 2014=8:26
  • Pemby to Gates Aug 17, 2013=58:37 Dec 29, 2014=1:22:19
  • Mount Curry to Gates Lake Aug 17, 2013=53:46 Dec 29, 2014=1:17:00
  • Portage Road Climb Aug 17, 2013=5:41 Dec 29, 2014=8:20
  • Reid Rd. to Owl FSR Northbound Aug 17, 2013=3:09 Dec 29, 2014=4:33
  • little puncher Aug 17, 2013=1:40 Dec 29, 2014=2:29

So a pretty big difference. It may have been windier last week though.

2015-01-05 2:57 PM

Hi there. Your times looked really good to me in the swim, run portion. You will for sure gain speed on a road bike. I have been using a trek FX 7.6 with horizontal bars and road tires, and I can get about 19.4 mph out of it over 12.5 miles, but I am cooked at the end. This Fall, I broke down and bought a decent road bike, and I jumped up to 21 mph over night. Some of this is due to the weight (about 4 lbs lighter) and also I am much more aero on the road bike. Plus, the gearing is different.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What results should I expect on a road bike vs mountain bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aero road bikes vs non aero road bikes

Started by gzh6464
Views: 11933 Posts: 13

2013-05-16 10:57 PM alexlhh

Road bike vs. Tri bike speed results

Started by beebs
Views: 2186 Posts: 12

2012-04-24 9:09 AM mrbbrad

Identical Rides, Difference Results (Road vs. TT bike)

Started by bradaskins
Views: 1187 Posts: 3

2011-05-01 6:30 AM chevy57

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1234 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134

The Old Road Bike vs. The Mountain Bike

Started by nicolascole
Views: 1613 Posts: 22

2006-04-19 8:38 AM weds19
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.