BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-03-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Hi everyone. I'm just catching up on folks' posts after some time off line. I have been totally side- lined by a GI bug followed by a respiratory bug combined with a hellish two weeks at work. I am getting my motivation back though...today I attended Boston Trimania expo, where I got in the pool long enough to trial (and then purchase ) a wetsuit. I was supposed to do a swim clinic, but I am still coughing too much to get through a work-out . I'm hoping to be back up to speed on Monday.

2015-03-28 1:09 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by allan_c

Hi everyone. I'm just catching up on folks' posts after some time off line. I have been totally side- lined by a GI bug followed by a respiratory bug combined with a hellish two weeks at work. I am getting my motivation back though...today I attended Boston Trimania expo, where I got in the pool long enough to trial (and then purchase ) a wetsuit. I was supposed to do a swim clinic, but I am still coughing too much to get through a work-out . I'm hoping to be back up to speed on Monday.

Whoa! A wetsuit seems so badass! Good for you! Now you get to practice putting it on and taking it off. I always thought people ripping off the wetsuits look so terrifically tough! I have one I may borrow but am still unsure as to whether I even will. I hope you feel better, the GI bug and that awful cough! So nasty! Hang in there and take care of yourself.
2015-03-28 6:28 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Cool on the wetsuit.

Learn how long it takes you to put it on and allow yourself enough extra time race morning - especially if you are not planning a long swim warm up!!!!
2015-03-28 8:48 PM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Gabby'smom

I really haven't fallen off the face of the earth and I haven't deserted all of you Turtles!! The new job has just really drained me and took control of my life for a few weeks. For three weeks I didn't work out, diet went to crap, didn't even get in my minimum water every. I felt terrible the entire time. Have tried to get back at it this week - feels like starting all over - couldn't even jog a mile. I was doing great before the job change and had even decided i might try my first tri in April. I have decided to forego that attempt at this point and will shoot for a mini-sprint in May. I knew my training would take a hit, but didn't quite expect this. Life happens doesn't it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on the posts. You guys are really kicking tail. Everyone is doing awesome. Nicole you are really on a roll! You go girl! Looking forward to getting back to a routine (with life and training) and keeping up with everyone's progress better.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Michelle, don't beat yourself up over, heck if that was the case I'd be black and blue unconscious right now with how my past two months have gone. Just start back at it and do so at the level you are now, you did lose some but it comes back very fast.
2015-03-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Swim went ok today. Felt the shoulder late in the session; decided not to overdo it in the pool today; 5 x 100's were my longest segments today; had wanted to do some longer ones but I'm still learning the nuances of the new watch.......

Once I got back to the house I changed back into my swim suit and hopped on the bike for about a half hour just to see what that'd be like; that darn suit was cold!!! After the spin went directly to the treadmill for a brisk walk. So, all the disciplines in my training today - that's a first. Now to make a final decision on that sprint on 4/25 which is 2 weeks ahead of the one I'm already registered for....will see how it goes the remainder of the weekend and then I'll finalize.

Weather still too darn cold and windy here for an outdoor ride.....hopefully the forecast is correct for next week.

That's awesome Bill Congrats. Only you can know whether or not you are ready / should do the earlier one, but as I've said before if you can do the distance then it may be a great learning experience and training day. Keep the other as your main race that you give it your all
2015-03-28 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by allan_c

Congrats on the new wetsuit and even more congrats for actually trying it out before the purchase.

2015-03-28 10:15 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Originally posted by Smiley9188

Originally posted by jennifersmith847

We got snow again too! I'm beyond bummed. Brand new bike and I was back to spin class this afternoon. BOOOO! I think (here at least) it's supposed to really warm up on Wed. and then dip back down for one more spin through 30 degrees. I hope the snow melts. I have to be on my bike both days this weekend (because I refuse to pedal to nowhere with this sweet new ride hanging out in my garage) so if I need to do it in a ski mask and snow pants, so be it. I hope you warm up too...this whole training thing is much more pleasant when you can actually get somewhere.

Originally posted by Suzie471

I can't believe that we got SNOW AGAIN!!! I just said to my husband on Sunday that no matter what I am getting my bike outside for a ride next weekend and now we get snow again? Unbelievable! I just hope by Saturday that the snow is gone and it warms a bit. April 18th is coming up fast and I haven't been outside yet on my bike since I got clips for my shoes. I really want to practice a little outside so that I am not falling off in front of everyone at my sprint. We are in Spring and it snowed..all I can do is laugh,LOL!!

I've been a little out of the loop but I think i missed the photo and name of your new ride. PLEASE post pictures so we can all covet your new purchase and share what you have named him/her. I'm desperate to take mine out on the road too, hoping for this weekend for it to actually get some dirt on the wheels!

I had my 5k on Sunday, finished in 31.40 which is pretty good for me. i had some left in the tank and pushed it the last 1/4 mile to the finish line. Then I was very winded. but i feel proud. Its a great baseline time for me and something to work toward. i plan on doing two different runs each week, maybe 3 actually. one a slower longer run, goaling to up to 4.5 miles and then a second that i'll incorporate intervals to try to get faster. i have no idea how fast i am on a bike, so that should be fun to try out soon! can't wait to hear about these april tris! the season is approaching and it's so exciting!

I haven't named it yet...I've only been able to ride her once and nothing jumped out at me. I've been thinking about Morla (the turtle from The Neverending Story) but we'll see... (and sorry for the delay...I still don't know if I've figured out how to post a photo.)

(bikeontrail.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bikeontrail.jpg (3012KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-28 10:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
It worked!

Edited by jennifersmith847 2015-03-28 10:17 PM
2015-03-28 10:49 PM
in reply to: jennifersmith847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great looking bike and looks like it would be a fun one to ride, Congrats again??
2015-03-29 9:19 AM

User image

It worked!

Nice Bike!! Congrats on the upload of the photo!!!!!
2015-03-29 2:21 PM

User image

, Tennessee
Nice bike Jen! I know you are so excited.

2015-03-29 3:36 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Great looking bike and looks like it would be a fun one to ride, Congrats again??

Ditto
Looks like a lot of fun and very versatile

I races my first 3 Tri's on a circa 1990 Cross Bike. Did the same thing you are doing - had road tires on it for that part and thin knobbies for the winter and playing on various trails..
2015-03-29 7:15 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by peto_primo

Ditto
Looks like a lot of fun and very versatile

I races my first 3 Tri's on a circa 1990 Cross Bike. Did the same thing you are doing - had road tires on it for that part and thin knobbies for the winter and playing on various trails..

Just noticed when Scott quoted it that there were question marks. There are no questions its freaking great??
2015-03-29 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well tomorrow starts practice what you preach week. I will get in at least 30 minutes a day regardless of what happens each day??
2015-03-29 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Well tomorrow starts practice what you preach week. I will get in at least 30 minutes a day regardless of what happens each day??

I'm in - or at least 6 out of 7 days a week

Any one else? (unless of course it is taper week for a weekend race)
2015-03-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

I'm in - or at least 6 out of 7 days a week

Any one else? (unless of course it is taper week for a weekend race)

Welcome aboard guys,
I have been training 6 out of 7 days for the last 9 weeks. Alas it is now my taper week. Time to see how all my training has paid off.

2015-03-29 9:11 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Nice Bike Jen. Yeah on getting the photo up!! (I can be challenged as well technology wise)

I was so excited, Friday night I got in my new tri suit(2 piece)!! I got to use it in the pool Saturday for my swim. I felt so professional. I think lycra is my new best friend it sucks everything in. My suit has a bit of compression in the legs too.
I had a good swim with my coach. I brought my sons and she talked them into doing the youth Tri the Saturday before my race. They had talked themselves out of it. After my lesson, I finished up my drills with my boys in the pool. I am glad I did. It gave me a little bit of the feeling of others sharing the lane, Splashing and out of control. I didn't plan it that way but hey it worked. I swam 200 yd straight. I plan to bring them this whole week to train with me. They are on spring break. The weather got chilly this weekend down into the 20's. I have my fingers crossed it doesn't do that for my race. It will be in the 70's this week with rain.

I have to say it is a bit scary about my upcoming race. I haven't trained any transitions yet. I think I will try that this week.
I biked 10 miles today. I did it stronger than I had in the past and kept the cadence up. When I got off I walked around outside and felt like I was going to fall when I walked down the stairs. I thought I will run after this. I will make it happen. I guess I was a little tight.

I am noticing more pain in my hips. It doesn't hurt on the bike, in the pool or running. When I sit or walk I feel it most. I might have to check with my Doctor about it. My chiropractor was not happy when I told him I was running.

I am excited to see you all getting back on board with your workouts. Don't be hard on yourselves if life throws everything at you or you are sick. Just keep on getting back up.

Have a great week.
2015-03-30 12:32 PM

User image

I'll commit to 6 of 7 days.....my old body has to have a rest day!!!
2015-03-30 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So day 1 and I suffer with GI issues and cramping all day long. I get home, eat a little something, and say to hell with it, and grab my bike. My wife was teasing me that I was going to end up using the bathroom on myself. So I rode just at 9 miles in 31 minutes and to my suprise it went really well all things considered.
2015-03-31 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

So day 1 and I suffer with GI issues and cramping all day long. I get home, eat a little something, and say to hell with it, and grab my bike. My wife was teasing me that I was going to end up using the bathroom on myself. So I rode just at 9 miles in 31 minutes and to my suprise it went really well all things considered.

Way to overcome!!
I, on the other hand, had day 1 as a rest day.... Looks like I need to get busy the rest of the week.
the plan tues 1 hr bike, weds 30 min run thurs 30 min run Fri 90 min bike sat 2 hr bike sun 54 min run

lets see how it plays out.
2015-03-31 1:31 PM

User image

Way to stay with it and get the ride in!!! Fresh air did you good!!!!

My ride today kicked my butt.....wind at my back on the way out and much of it "downhill"....on the way in wind directly in my face and "uphill" much of the time.....but, successfully completed the distance. Errands prevented me from getting a walk in.....

2015-03-31 2:01 PM

User image

, Connecticut

It worked!

Nice Bike!! Congrats on the upload of the photo!!!!!

Whoo hoot! I love the name! And color! go you!!!
2015-03-31 2:03 PM

User image

, Connecticut

Ooh, I can try this challenge too! I wish a triathlon did not include running. man I just can't get to loving it. maybe with the outside running i'll feel better about it! So i'm in already for sunday, monday, and tuesday 30 minutes- whoot hoot!
2015-03-31 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Way to stay with it and get the ride in!!! Fresh air did you good!!!!

My ride today kicked my butt.....wind at my back on the way out and much of it "downhill"....on the way in wind directly in my face and "uphill" much of the time.....but, successfully completed the distance. Errands prevented me from getting a walk in.....

You know Bill sometimes rides like the one you had end up doing the most good for you. Simulates a stressed body and tell you that you can push through even when it is hard, Great Job!
2015-03-31 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Day 2 finished in the dark but done. Easy 3 mile run for 32:39
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1058 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.