BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-04-14 2:07 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Sorry gang been sick and swamped but will catch up tomorrow

2015-04-15 11:55 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Sorry gang been sick and swamped but will catch up tomorrow

Hang in there!!!
2015-04-16 7:08 AM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by nekomidori

My first Tri(this will probably be long)
Short version
300yd swim 00:09:47 with run to transition area
1T 00:03;04
12.5m bike(supposed to be 11 mile but got changed)1:00:48
T2 00:00:53 (no shoe change)
3.1 m run 00:36:12
total time 01:50:43
I placed 2nd for Novice female(only 3) and got to be on the podium!! So cool. ( I almost stumbled while getting on)
I placed 25th out of 30 women. Very excited not to be last.

Lessons learned
1 Check your route and make sure it is what you think it is. It worked out fine but it was 6% grade hills a few of them.
2 Get your things together before the night before. I left my swim cap, goggles and notes at the YMCA by accident. I borrowed my son's goggles. Not the same, and luckily my swim coach was there and gave me another swim cap.
3 Practice eating your snack while riding your bike. I was ok but it could have been smoother.
4 Practice getting out of the pool with the ladder(for those doing pool swims) I fumbled a little bit.
5 Practice your transition times.
*6 It is not as hard as you think when you do the training.

I got my bag packed last night and realized I was missing my swim cap and goggles. Of course the YMCA was closed when I realized. I calmed myself down and kept going. Borrowing my son's goggles instead. While in bed, I mentally did the whole tri. With positve talk the whole way. This helped because I never did practice my transitions.
Next morning was smooth, Bagel with PB, cup of black tea, cup of milk, glass of water, vitamins.
Bags were packed in the car the night before. I grabbed my water bottles with Skratch and off we went.
I got marked in the parking lot with my race numbers and got my timing chip strapped on. Kinda neat in the dark.
I got my bike all set up. Milled around and met a few of my "neighbors" next to my bike parking. I went in and decided to stretch and warm up for a few laps before everything got going.
I was so nervous just to get in the pool to warm up. This is it!! This is race day. My nerves went crazy after that. I got in and the goggles were all wrong. My breathing was a mess but my stroke was good. I calmed my nerves and swam back. I talked to a few people got out and stretched a bit more. Time to line up, nerve wracking but so exciting. I met some other newbies in line. We watched the pros and made sure we knew the route. I slid into the pool and pushed off. Here we go. I did 25 yd good then half way up the other lane I was getting tired. I did breaststrokes, backstroke and side strokes. I let a few people pass and I passed a few others. I didn't want to push to hard and I also couldn't swim to fast because at a certain spot the man in front was faster than me but not at that moment so I couldn't pass him. I got to the stairs. I saw my swim coach, husband and church friend yelling for me. How exciting. I climbed out and fumbled a bit on the ladder. I screamed with excitiement and cold. I jogged to the transition area, put on my helmet, turned on my garmin, toweled off, sat down and got on my socks and shoes, gloves, glasses and ripped open my honey stinger and a lara bar. I took a sip of water and ran out of the area. I was off, on my bike. It was cold, brisk it felt good after the heated area of the pool. Then I got to work. It took a bit but by 2.5 miles I passed someone. I then realized how many hills were on this route after a main turn. I struggled on some. I kept on going and passed 2 more people up the hill passed another. Balancing eating my honey stinger. I started to make a wrong turn by going straight instead of a left and got back on track. The weather was 60, there was a crosswind it was beautiful out the flowers were blooming and the birds were singing. I was not afraid of the cars that gave us plenty of space. I came in strong to transition area. My husband and children were cheering me on. I ran my bike in. Put it away, took off my helmet and gloves and strapped on my number, I took a sip of water and jogged out. A man was checking on his son asking me questions as I did all this and I was off. I jogged out and was off again. I past all the fast people coming in. The encouragement of me to them and them to me was so excellent. I was doing this. I ran as far as I could then walked up the hill. I got to the turn around spot and it was a down hill. I was jogging. There was a women and 3 teenage girls cheering me on. The woman called out that she was holding traffic all for me encouraging me on. The girls called to me "come on!" And I said "Here I come". I sprinted up and did high 5's as I ran past them with tears in my eyes. I ran back and walked encouraging the ones that still had to make the turn. I made the turn to the final stretch back to the finish line. I had been holding a bit in reserve. I wanted to be able to sprint in. I heard a boy call out "Come on Mama" At first I thought it was mine, it wasn't but it didnt' matter. I had picked up the pace. I heard them call out "85, (my number) another one said 85 I started to sprint. I could see my family and tears started to come down my face. I crossed the line and they ran to hug me. Talk about emotions running high. Must have been all the adreniline or something.

Everyone just keep on going!!
Nicole
Triathlete (I am so proud of this title)

Nicole, this is why I like Mentor Groups and shows how we all inspire and push each other merely through each of our actions. I know after reading your post that I wanted to get up and go for a long run, dang work and bills. Congrats to you and the kidos for a job well done. You worked hard over the past several months and deserved a day like you had. Once again Congrats TRIATHLETE
2015-04-16 7:12 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Gnoory

Sorry for being absent for a while, life and easter got in the way :-)

But fear not, I am doing the training and have finally tried out my new bike for the first time. I have only one thing to say : WOA, THAT WAS FUN! I went out with a neighbour for a 10 mile ride with curvy roads and lots of ups and downs. Time flew away, and after 40 minutes and the ride was finished it was as if it all happened in only five minutes. Not what I had thought at all. I my quiet mind when jogging all these years I have thought to my self : 'How fun can cycling be, sooo boooring sitting on that bike, exercise for people wanting to take a break downhill'. Well, I take it all back. My running will suffer from this...

Great to have you back and even better to hear about the enjoyable maiden voyage. I laughed at this because I was just like you and my run did suffer. I never really liked running per se but knew it had to be done. I got my bike and enjoyed it so much that i then started trying to find ways and excuses to ride instead of run. I would tell myself that if I did a 30 mile ride it would be equal to a 3 mile run and so forth. I am now trying to force myself to ride less and run more, but man I just enjoy covering all that ground in the same amount of time.
2015-04-16 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Smiley9188

I agree with Espen, biking on a road is a lot more fun than inside! Wow, so much fun!

My legs are beat today. I'm taking today off. I did a killer spin class on friday. Saturday I ran 3 miles with attitude and Sunday I went out on my bike for an hour during naptime to soak up this gorgeous weather. It was awesome. I feel strong. But i also feel fatigued. So today is an off day. A rest day. i need it.

I've noticed something I do is I talk about how much I don't like exercising. About how bad I am. How weak I am but I'm not even sure why I do that! I don't actually feel that way, I just have the need to talk. It's absurd. I was in a spin class and I was nervous so I started talking like 'is this over yet' etc trying to break some ice to an acquaintance when really I shouldn't even say that stuff. And as I get stronger I feel badly saying that stuff because I'm running faster than people or swimming faster etc. SO I'm turning over a new leaf, i'm going to be positive about my workouts.

Bill's up next, right? Or Suzy? Who is racing next weekend? This is all so exciting!

Good for you! I think when we start new things it is common to put ourselves down or act like we just really aren't enjoying it as a crutch so to speak. We fell as if our negative talk about ourselves will prevent others from saying negative things about our times / workouts when in reality they are no more worried about us than we are them. You be you and do for you and your health. Be proud of whatever / however you get it done.
2015-04-16 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, so who is next? Suzie is your race this weekend? Just killed me to be away this past weekend because I just love the up to the minute things for people on race day, sorry Nicole! Well even though I was sick and worked quit a bit, I only really missed a day and a half or so of workouts, which i am proud of.

2015-04-16 10:05 AM

User image

Ok, so who is next? Suzie is your race this weekend? Just killed me to be away this past weekend because I just love the up to the minute things for people on race day, sorry Nicole! Well even though I was sick and worked quit a bit, I only really missed a day and a half or so of workouts, which i am proud of.

Don't worry about me I had a great support system here. You need to take care of life too.

I believe it is Suzie this weekend!! I am excited to hear how it goes.

I am glad you enjoyed my descriptions. I was conserned it was too in depth and long but figured I would want to know.
You all inspire me so much with the lengths that you work out and how much and when you work out and find time to do what you do. Especially all of our medical staff you Rock!!

I am a little bit slow to get back into my workouts. I have to get my motivation going again. I did workout but if you only heard the voice in my head that really just needs a pillow shoved into it's mouth. Luckily I didn't listen to that voice.
Monday got 500 Yd in the pool. My swim coach rescheduled until friday due to sick child. I have to tell everyone, one of the hardest things about my swim section of my competition was knowing my swim coach was watching. I was scared she would be disappointed. I didn't swim as much freestyle as I wanted to. I had a person pass me and then he got slow in front of me. I thought I was sloppy in the pool. I was on pins and needles to hear what she had to say. She said I could have passed him. Right there, it was my lack of confindence that slowed me down. I thought I wasn't strong enough. If you are in my shoes go for it. She said put your head down, arms in streamline formation, and kick your heart out and go! Head down and go. I am practicing this now. I swam 750 on Wednesday and my arms were really tight, legs were tight as well.
I did not do my run on monday or Wednesday due to my hip hurting. I was waiting to see what the chiropractor thought. He said it is the IT band and sciatic pain. I had a massage today which helped. I think I will walk or add in weights for my run section untill it feels better.
I rode a short 5 miles inside on Tuesday. It was slow going.
Today I get my new shoes and pedals. I may go for a ride with my hubby. Today is normally my off day but this weekend I will be doing a camping training with the cub scouts in the rain. whoohoo. I will be thinking of you Suzie and cheering you on!!

I am going to look at my motivation for why I compete. I think now that I know that I can compete, I am going to compete to be healthy, drop some more fat and look good.

I have dropped 8 lbs, 4.1% body fat and lost 5 inches total on abs, waist, hips, above my knee, and ankles. I gained 1/2 inch on my forarms and biceps. My BMI is now 23.2 (I started at 25.2).

I have to say I agree with the guys I prefer to cycle than run. It is so freeing and I feel like I did when I was a little girl riding my bike.

Have a great day enjoy the freedom your workouts give you.
Nicole
Week 12
2015-04-16 11:37 AM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by nekomidori

I have dropped 8 lbs, 4.1% body fat and lost 5 inches total on abs, waist, hips, above my knee, and ankles. I gained 1/2 inch on my forarms and biceps. My BMI is now 23.2 (I started at 25.2).

I have to say I agree with the guys I prefer to cycle than run. It is so freeing and I feel like I did when I was a little girl riding my bike.

Have a great day enjoy the freedom your workouts give you.
Nicole
Week 12

How fantastic is that - keep up the great work !!
2015-04-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Today's update for Colorado

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
2015-04-17 5:13 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
This is My Weekend!! Tomorrow I will be on the beautiful Ball State University Campus for my first Sprint Tri this season!! Hoping that I get off of work tonight at a decent time so that I can try to get some sleep. I have a little bit of a drive to get there, only about 1hr 1/2. Right now my nerves are not to bad but I am sure that will be a different case tomorrow, lol! Thank you everyone for all your postings to keep me motivated and I hope that I can give a great report like Nicole. So looking forward to having this under my belt and done.. wish me luck
2015-04-17 7:15 PM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Suzie471

This is My Weekend!! Tomorrow I will be on the beautiful Ball State University Campus for my first Sprint Tri this season!! Hoping that I get off of work tonight at a decent time so that I can try to get some sleep. I have a little bit of a drive to get there, only about 1hr 1/2. Right now my nerves are not to bad but I am sure that will be a different case tomorrow, lol! Thank you everyone for all your postings to keep me motivated and I hope that I can give a great report like Nicole. So looking forward to having this under my belt and done.. wish me luck

Suzie, you will do great! Stay calm and if the nerves do kick up turn them into excitement not doubt. Now rock that Turtle Shell

2015-04-18 9:42 AM

User image

Suzie, you will do great! Stay calm and if the nerves do kick up turn them into excitement not doubt. Now rock that Turtle Shell

Exciting morning for you!!! Best of luck in your event!! Let us know how it goes.....my first one is next Saturday....
2015-04-19 5:15 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Had a GREAT day at the BSU Sprint Triathlon. The weather was perfect and I couldn't of asked for better!

After weeks of stressing about my swim, I had an amazing "calmness" come over me that morning. Picked up my "Bestie" who was coming along to support and cheer me on, and drove 1hr 1/2 to the Ball State Campus. We had decided to take a look at the pool and I did do some warm up laps to help me prepare. Then it was time to line up. I waited in line for a little bit over an half an hour before it was time for me to get in the water. In that time I watch swimmer after swimmer getting into the water. I also met some great women around me waiting for their turn. One inperticular will stay with me for awhile. "Lisa" was just ahead of me and the closer we got the more upset she was getting. I was feeling great. I was ready to get in and get going. I was right after Lisa. Finally it was my turn. I entered into the water feeling strong. It was in my second lap when it happened. Lisa broke down and was standing ahead of me crying. I stopped and 2 swimmers passed me. I talked to Lisa, encouraging her telling her that she could do it. Got her going again and would have to stop and keep telling her that she could do it. Finally the last lap and she did it and I felt strong. I know that I blew my time by helping her but it just felt right. My biking was good. Had to do 4 laps on the course and I was worried that I would miss count, lol. But my Bestie was there at each lap telling me how many was left and encouraging me Coming off the bike, my legs were wobbly but I kept going. Throughout my run I could hear the voice of my running mentor from my running group telling me to "run my own race." And I did. I had to run 2 laps passing by the fininsh line in the first lap, which was hard, but I ran my own race, and came across the line feeling strong and Happy. My time was 1:20. Looking back, I want to improve on my transition times, and I know I can improve my bike time. Yes my swim could of been better by not helping Lisa, but I'm happy that I did and I'm ok with my time in my swim. My next triathlon will be in the open water and it maybe me out there needing the encouragement. My motto has been "Happy Heart" and that is what I came out with

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (233KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (2419KB - 2 downloads)
2015-04-19 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Had a GREAT day at the BSU Sprint Triathlon. The weather was perfect and I couldn't of asked for better!

After weeks of stressing about my swim, I had an amazing "calmness" come over me that morning. Picked up my "Bestie" who was coming along to support and cheer me on, and drove 1hr 1/2 to the Ball State Campus. We had decided to take a look at the pool and I did do some warm up laps to help me prepare. Then it was time to line up. I waited in line for a little bit over an half an hour before it was time for me to get in the water. In that time I watch swimmer after swimmer getting into the water. I also met some great women around me waiting for their turn. One inperticular will stay with me for awhile. "Lisa" was just ahead of me and the closer we got the more upset she was getting. I was feeling great. I was ready to get in and get going. I was right after Lisa. Finally it was my turn. I entered into the water feeling strong. It was in my second lap when it happened. Lisa broke down and was standing ahead of me crying. I stopped and 2 swimmers passed me. I talked to Lisa, encouraging her telling her that she could do it. Got her going again and would have to stop and keep telling her that she could do it. Finally the last lap and she did it and I felt strong. I know that I blew my time by helping her but it just felt right. My biking was good. Had to do 4 laps on the course and I was worried that I would miss count, lol. But my Bestie was there at each lap telling me how many was left and encouraging me Coming off the bike, my legs were wobbly but I kept going. Throughout my run I could hear the voice of my running mentor from my running group telling me to "run my own race." And I did. I had to run 2 laps passing by the fininsh line in the first lap, which was hard, but I ran my own race, and came across the line feeling strong and Happy. My time was 1:20. Looking back, I want to improve on my transition times, and I know I can improve my bike time. Yes my swim could of been better by not helping Lisa, but I'm happy that I did and I'm ok with my time in my swim. My next triathlon will be in the open water and it maybe me out there needing the encouragement. My motto has been "Happy Heart" and that is what I came out with

Suzie congrats on a great day! It warmed my heart to read of you sacrificing a little time to help out another. That is what the turtles and triathlon in my opinion is about. You already know this but you won't remember the time saved if you kept going, but you and she will always remember what you did that day and the kindness you showed. Who knows, what you did may have well kept her on track for a healthy life instead of quiting and becoming stagnant. Great times, great race, great person, congrats because you deserve it. Between you, Nicole, and Bill coming up its killing me not having a race, but thanks to this group I have you all!!!!! Great pics by the way
2015-04-20 8:07 AM

User image

I am sooo Proud of you!!! You followed your heart and kept true to yourself. I think that is fantastic! Way to go. I would give you a big hug. You had a great race.
2015-04-20 10:30 AM

User image

Suzie.....congratulations on an OUTSTANDING event!!! Cudos in helping out with other competitor!!!! You rock!!

2015-04-20 1:15 PM

User image

, Connecticut

Congratulations to you Suzie! Sounds like a great race, you look super strong! And you helped Lisa out terribly! That's so cool! Good for you!

So, i'm in a few weeks and I have a pool swim too- how did it work for you?
2015-04-20 7:02 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well after fighting off the junk and not doing much the last couple of weeks I went out for my hour bike loop. it took me nearly 1:04. Got some work to do. Hopefully I can get some runs in the next couple of days.
Back to trying to get 3 rides and 3 runs in a weeks.
2015-04-21 1:06 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well I am not getting anything as "sexy" looking as the Ketrel Talon a few pages back just not right for the budget right now. So I am going to ransack parts off of my dearly departed K2 and build up this

(100098709._T_.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
100098709._T_.jpg (3KB - 4 downloads)
2015-04-21 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by peto_primo

Well I am not getting anything as "sexy" looking as the Ketrel Talon a few pages back just not right for the budget right now. So I am going to ransack parts off of my dearly departed K2 and build up this

Ain't nothing wrong with that at all and further cool because you're the one building it up, Congrats!
2015-04-21 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well I was able to get out a get a nice 10 mile ride in. I'm only a couple months away from what I'm hoping will be a normal life again.

2015-04-22 7:38 AM

User image

Well I was able to get out a get a nice 10 mile ride in. I'm only a couple months away from what I'm hoping will be a normal life again.

Congrats on the 10 mile ride!!!

Question.....while the forecast can change, it's shaping up to be a rainy day for my event this Saturday/temps in the mid 50's; any suggestions on setting up in the transition area in a rainy event? Any other advice on competing in a rainy sprint? I've done 5k's in the rain but usually the weather was warmer. Maybe the forecast will improve prior to the afternoon start time.....
2015-04-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Congratulations, Suzie! A tri to remember, no doubt about it :-) Great work! 

Thumbs up for you too, Todd, on your 10 mile ride!

I talked to a fellow swimmer yesterday, and he talked about his first tri. The best advice he could give was to practice running after cycling. He regretted not having done this more than a couple of times before competition. The first 1-2 miles after the the cycling was terrible, he said. You guys having done a tri now, how did you experience this transition?

Edited by Gnoory 2015-04-22 8:09 AM
2015-04-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Gnoory

Congratulations, Suzie! A tri to remember, no doubt about it :-) Great work! 

Thumbs up for you too, Todd, on your 10 mile ride!

I talked to a fellow swimmer yesterday, and he talked about his first tri. The best advice he could give was to practice running after cycling. He regretted not having done this more than a couple of times before competition. The first 1-2 miles after the the cycling was terrible, he said. You guys having done a tri now, how did you experience this transition?

There is a reason they are called Brick workouts - your legs can feel like bricks !!!

It would be good if you could do it 1/2 dozen times or more. You can vary how you do it.
go for a solid/fast ride and just out for an easy mile
go for a comfortable ride and then an easy couple of miles afterwards
Go for an easy ride and then do a tempo 5k

or some other variations

suggestion, when you first come off the bike think about doing shorter quicker strides and just let your normal running stride come to you as you get into the run.

The more you do, the more it natural it becomes.
2015-04-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Congrats on the 10 mile ride!!!

Question.....while the forecast can change, it's shaping up to be a rainy day for my event this Saturday/temps in the mid 50's; any suggestions on setting up in the transition area in a rainy event? Any other advice on competing in a rainy sprint? I've done 5k's in the rain but usually the weather was warmer. Maybe the forecast will improve prior to the afternoon start time.....

Oh no, the dreaded rain! I have no advice for you, maybe put a rain coat over the stuff so it doens't rain INTO your shoes? SO Exciting, Bill! Wow, they are just coming one after another! GO YOU! HOw' are those knees feeling?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.