BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-04-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Congrats on a great race and learning experience. Don't let where you finish or in what time in relation to others dictate whether or not you continue. 1st your comparing times with men and women in most cases half your age. 2nd you have had both knees replaced I bet everyone else there had both of their knees. Hell most wouldn't even be doing what you are doing, so you should feel even more proud not down. If you just don't like it or it causes too much pain that's different, but let me tell you that your incredible regardless of when you finish!

Thanks Todd for your kind words of encouragement!!! I'm determined to stick it out.... and the knees are just fine!

I forgot to mention in my recap that there was a group of para athletes competing and qualifying for a future event. They were all so determined and their performance was inspiring. My wife commented she had tears of joy for those athletes. So I guess that right there puts a lot of things in perspective for me as well as all of the other athletes in the building Saturday. The applause for them was outstanding!!!

2015-04-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Congrats on a great race and learning experience. Don't let where you finish or in what time in relation to others dictate whether or not you continue. 1st your comparing times with men and women in most cases half your age. 2nd you have had both knees replaced I bet everyone else there had both of their knees. Hell most wouldn't even be doing what you are doing, so you should feel even more proud not down. If you just don't like it or it causes too much pain that's different, but let me tell you that your incredible regardless of when you finish!

Thanks Todd for your kind words of encouragement!!! I'm determined to stick it out.... and the knees are just fine!

I forgot to mention in my recap that there was a group of para athletes competing and qualifying for a future event. They were all so determined and their performance was inspiring. My wife commented she had tears of joy for those athletes. So I guess that right there puts a lot of things in perspective for me as well as all of the other athletes in the building Saturday. The applause for them was outstanding!!!

My first was very similar. It was on a military base and wounded warriors were competing, very inspiring and still makes me realize that I have few if any limitations and to shut up and get it done.
2015-04-27 3:45 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Oh no Lovey, I hope you are resting and you can get your leg figured out. Ouch. How brave to keep on going in the pain.
2015-04-27 3:53 PM

User image

Congrats Bill!!! That is awesome. Great time especially your weather conditions. I am also looking at aquabike for my next event. I was thinking about you this weekend.
2015-04-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Ok - I am 12 weeks out and I guess it is time to start getting serious !!!!.
Obstacles to overcome - 18 lbs or so over weight, no desire to spend money on swimming, no functioning road bike, tough to run more than 4 miles.
I supposed if I address items 2, 3, and 4, item 1 will take care of some of itself - as well as pay better attention to the mindless, habitual calorie intake.

Item 2 - work on shoulder, chest and back flexibility and strength until the pool/beaches open Memorial Day. Drop weight and inches so I can fit into the wetsuit.
Item 3 - bike frame should arrive tonight. Start stripping off parts from the "deceased" road bike and being assembly. Front derailleur arrived Saturday (old bike and new incompatible), rear derailleur is in mail (one of the casualties of the K2's demise), old rear wheel hanging in the garage til I get a new rear wheel (that was another casualty - and maybe the most frustrating beside the frame itself). Get the bike up and running
Item 4 - get out 3 times a week - easy 5k, tempo 5k and start building the long run

Now to just do it.

Hope it was a great April and that May is a wonderful launch into summer !!!
2015-04-27 4:17 PM

User image

Sorry I have been out of the loop. I swam twice last week and got in a bike ride. I have not run since my race. My hip is still bothering me. I am giving it some time to rest. Family life has slowed down my training a bit. I have had a bit of a struggle getting going too. I have not trained with my swim coach since before my race. I have to look and see how many sessions I have paid for still left. Her son was sick and now she just is forgetting and no showing me then shows up at the pool for an appointment after mine. It is a bit discouraging. I was still going. I was working more on my strokes, keeping my head down and being calm. During my race I was very flustered. I agree with you Bill I was not breathing either.
I was supposed to go for a 20 mile ride with my husband and a friend and that fizzled out. My husband and I ended up planting 7 trees, 8 bushes, plus putting out 3 pick up trucks of mulch down. I planted my garden this weekend as well. I have been doing an all over body work out.
I did cut out sugar from my diet for 10 days. I am on day 7. My family did it too but lasted only half the day. Lol it is ok they are doing ok hanging in there.

I lost just over a pound doing it. It has helped me realize how much of my hunger wasn't from lack of food but from sugar cravings.
I was supposed to get to the pool but waited for the electrican that never showed but got in a 30 minute ride on my trainer. (5 miles) I was beginning to get some speed towards the end so that is good.

I have been getting my workouts in during my split shift. I have a 3 hour break in my day Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Other times I get on the trainer while my kids are doing their homework. I have a 8 and 11 yr old. I can sometimes get them to come and work out with me and other times I go and work out by myself. I put dinner in the crock pot then go work out. Do the best you can. Tony Horton with P90x always says "Do your best and forget the rest"
I think we sometimes hold ourselves up to be this super mom figure and no one expects that from us but ourselves. You can set aside 15-20 minutes of solid time(uninterupted time just for her nothing else) for your daughter or a day and put her on the schedule so that she knows when it is. I need to do this more with my boys. I hope that helps.

Keep on moving.
Nicole Week 13
my next event is Swamp Rabbit July 11th Greenville SC (I am not registered yet); August 23rd Greenville SC

2015-04-27 11:24 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Sorry Everyone that I haven't posted all week since I did my Tri. I didn't want to let so much time go by but work has been so busy lately that I just let time slip by. I appreciate everyone congrats on my Tri, it amazes me that it has only been a week ago but now feels like to was ages, LOL!! I have to apologizes to some of you. I use the mobile app a lot and I did not see your Inspires at wishing me well and cheering me on. Apparently they do not show on the mobile site. I REALLY appreciate ALL of your encouragement and motivation that you have given me!!

Bill you did AWESOME!! Just think at what you accomplished! And with such crappy weather. Who cares how slow your transitions were, it just gives you something to improve on for next time. I think you did an amazing job and that you should be VERY PROUD!! Keep up the GREAT work!

This past week, I was able to keep up on my swim workouts. I feel like I have so much to improve in this area that I don't want to slack off. Sometimes I feel like I'm not improving at all, but I know that I have to be getting just a little bit better..I hope? Been running more to. My goal when I did the Tri was to run the whole 5k without walking, and I did. I felt like crap though. My legs felt like they were heavy but yet I didn't feel like I was hitting the ground at all. I wanted to stop and walk so bad but I kept thinking "Run your own Race" and "Happy Heart" and somehow I made it through. So I want to start working on doing more bike to run bricks so maybe I can get better. Just some small goals that I want to work on.

Saturday I did a benefit ride for the Ronald McDonald House and rode 25miles. It was very windy but the ride felt great. Just to be able to ride and not worry about time and how long it was taking was nice.

My next Tri is the Tri Goddess Tri in June. My only worries for that is that it will be a OWS and my longest yet at a 1/2 mile. But as long as I can keep my confidence up and remember to "Run my Own Race" & "Happy Heart" I know I can do it.

Until then I have several 5k runs that I will be doing in May and I have another Bike ride planned that will be 45miles. I need to have things planned out for me that I have committed to, it helps keep me going and stay motivated.

Great Job everyone and keep posting! Love reading how ALL of you are doing!!
2015-04-28 6:02 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Originally posted by Suzie471

Sorry Everyone that I haven't posted all week since I did my Tri. I didn't want to let so much time go by but work has been so busy lately that I just let time slip by. I appreciate everyone congrats on my Tri, it amazes me that it has only been a week ago but now feels like to was ages, LOL!! I have to apologizes to some of you. I use the mobile app a lot and I did not see your Inspires at wishing me well and cheering me on. Apparently they do not show on the mobile site. I REALLY appreciate ALL of your encouragement and motivation that you have given me!!

Bill you did AWESOME!! Just think at what you accomplished! And with such crappy weather. Who cares how slow your transitions were, it just gives you something to improve on for next time. I think you did an amazing job and that you should be VERY PROUD!! Keep up the GREAT work!

This past week, I was able to keep up on my swim workouts. I feel like I have so much to improve in this area that I don't want to slack off. Sometimes I feel like I'm not improving at all, but I know that I have to be getting just a little bit better..I hope? Been running more to. My goal when I did the Tri was to run the whole 5k without walking, and I did. I felt like crap though. My legs felt like they were heavy but yet I didn't feel like I was hitting the ground at all. I wanted to stop and walk so bad but I kept thinking "Run your own Race" and "Happy Heart" and somehow I made it through. So I want to start working on doing more bike to run bricks so maybe I can get better. Just some small goals that I want to work on.

Saturday I did a benefit ride for the Ronald McDonald House and rode 25miles. It was very windy but the ride felt great. Just to be able to ride and not worry about time and how long it was taking was nice.

My next Tri is the Tri Goddess Tri in June. My only worries for that is that it will be a OWS and my longest yet at a 1/2 mile. But as long as I can keep my confidence up and remember to "Run my Own Race" & "Happy Heart" I know I can do it.

Until then I have several 5k runs that I will be doing in May and I have another Bike ride planned that will be 45miles. I need to have things planned out for me that I have committed to, it helps keep me going and stay motivated.

Great Job everyone and keep posting! Love reading how ALL of you are doing!!

The Ronald McDonald house is a great cause, my son had open heart surgery a few years ago and they were awesome. That is great that you are still in the swing of things. I love your ambition. Keep going!
2015-04-28 6:07 AM

User image

Let's see if I can get this picture right.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1870KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (101KB - 4 downloads)
image.jpg (2341KB - 3 downloads)
2015-04-28 6:08 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by peto_primo Ok - I am 12 weeks out and I guess it is time to start getting serious !!!!. Obstacles to overcome - 18 lbs or so over weight, no desire to spend money on swimming, no functioning road bike, tough to run more than 4 miles. I supposed if I address items 2, 3, and 4, item 1 will take care of some of itself - as well as pay better attention to the mindless, habitual calorie intake.

Well, my working theory now is that by loosing 12 lbs I will see great improvement - at least in the running part. Not to mention reduced risk of injury as I run mostly on tarmac. And, well, also I'm not quite comfortable slippin' into one of those one-piece-short-sleeved-slim-fit-tri-suits yet either. Is it just me, how have you guys done/plan to do the clothing part?

Brick workout, now I get it! I had pondered the use of that word. Probably would have gotten it if I had tried it yet :-)

Challengede some of my Endomondo-friend to a 7 day streak running-contest to get the train moving this week. Minimum 5k each day the next 7 days. The half marathon in june is closer than I dare to admit. If any of you are on Endomondo, feel free to join :-)

2015-04-28 6:17 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Originally posted by Gnoory

Originally posted by peto_primo Ok - I am 12 weeks out and I guess it is time to start getting serious !!!!. Obstacles to overcome - 18 lbs or so over weight, no desire to spend money on swimming, no functioning road bike, tough to run more than 4 miles. I supposed if I address items 2, 3, and 4, item 1 will take care of some of itself - as well as pay better attention to the mindless, habitual calorie intake.

Well, my working theory now is that by loosing 12 lbs I will see great improvement - at least in the running part. Not to mention reduced risk of injury as I run mostly on tarmac. And, well, also I'm not quite comfortable slippin' into one of those one-piece-short-sleeved-slim-fit-tri-suits yet either. Is it just me, how have you guys done/plan to do the clothing part?

Brick workout, now I get it! I had pondered the use of that word. Probably would have gotten it if I had tried it yet :-)

Challengede some of my Endomondo-friend to a 7 day streak running-contest to get the train moving this week. Minimum 5k each day the next 7 days. The half marathon in june is closer than I dare to admit. If any of you are on Endomondo, feel free to join :-)

That is a good goal. I have 16lbs to go as well. I think the extra weight probably slows us down. I am going to get 2 days of weights in to make up for the running I'm not doing. You can do it Espen!!

2015-04-28 6:22 AM

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Originally posted by 2NewKnees  *I did it .....and I finished 3rd in my age division (full disclosure here......there were only 3 of us ;O)!!

I love it, great work! I think people use to much time comparing results against other people, me included, and burn them selves down for it. I've tried to shelf that attitude, and it's a great relief. I notice that when I manage to put that aside, and do it for the fun or race against my self, it's much easiery to get inspiration and joy out of it. Keep up the enthusiasm and keep crushing it on the bike, swim and run! Doing the tri for fun and not for position may even inspire more people to get into it! For me as a non-competitive person - enjoying the ride is point of it all! :-)

2015-04-28 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

Congrats Bill!!! That is awesome. Great time especially your weather conditions. I am also looking at aquabike for my next event. I was thinking about you this weekend.

Nicole....many thanks!!! Hey, nice photos you posted!!!! I'm still trying to figure out how to make that happen! BTW, Saw the Auburn shirts.........neat! If I can get the photo to download you might be able to make out my Bama hat....the A is faded but it's there!!! Roll Tide.....!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-04-28 7:50 AM

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (413KB - 2 downloads)
image.jpg (1498KB - 4 downloads)
2015-04-28 7:54 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Originally posted by Gnoory

Originally posted by 2NewKnees  *I did it .....and I finished 3rd in my age division (full disclosure here......there were only 3 of us ;O)!!

I love it, great work! I think people use to much time comparing results against other people, me included, and burn them selves down for it. I've tried to shelf that attitude, and it's a great relief. I notice that when I manage to put that aside, and do it for the fun or race against my self, it's much easiery to get inspiration and joy out of it. Keep up the enthusiasm and keep crushing it on the bike, swim and run! Doing the tri for fun and not for position may even inspire more people to get into it! For me as a non-competitive person - enjoying the ride is point of it all! :-)

Espen.....very wise advice!!!
2015-04-28 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

One more photo.....the old man finishes.....!!! The "I Tri Harder" banner applies to all in Todd's Tri Turtles!!!!! How appropriate!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-04-28 8:48 AM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1763KB - 4 downloads)
2015-04-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Yes we are Auburn fans. Lol my mother in law with her shirt, my husband with his hat, my sweatshirt and my youngest with his shirt. You're turtle to me before a Bama fan. Great pictures.

Nicole

2015-04-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5111446

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Great pics Bill!! You look Awesome coming thru the finish

Nicole love your pics to! You are such a great role model for your boys! You should feel so proud of you and your boys! What an inspiration!!
2015-04-28 4:15 PM

User image

I got out there and got in a swim because I got out of work early. I also got in some weights earlier today.
It felt good to be back at it again. My schedule is all crazy but it is ok. I plan to swim wednesday and thursday. I am going with my hubby to Alabama while he does Bo Bikes Bama. It helps raise money for the people that lost so much in the Tornado a few years ago. A nice get away for me too.

Keep it going everyone.

Who is up next?

2015-04-29 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bill, I love the after photograph, now that is one that you put on the wall
2015-04-29 11:14 AM

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

I got out there and got in a swim because I got out of work early. I also got in some weights earlier today.
It felt good to be back at it again. My schedule is all crazy but it is ok. I plan to swim wednesday and thursday. I am going with my hubby to Alabama while he does Bo Bikes Bama. It helps raise money for the people that lost so much in the Tornado a few years ago. A nice get away for me too.

Keep it going everyone.

Who is up next?

A great cause!! Many families were impacted by that storm that day! Have a great trip!!!
2015-04-29 12:20 PM
in reply to: #5111479

User image

It felt good. I got in the pool again today. My legs were tired but while doing my pulls everything felt calm and in slow motion. I was beginning to get my head down more and my breathing rhythm was good, alternating sides. Then I took the buoy away and back to freestyle and I got anxious after the first 30yds. I worked on pushing to get4x 50yd sets done and push through the mental block. It felt good. I got some mental work to do. Get over it and keep going .

I had a yummy protein shake roasted pumpkin apple. It tasted like pie.(the only sugar was in the protein powder). Then got on the bike and got in 5.3 miles. It feels good. My body is sore but good.

Hope your all having a great training day!!
Nicole
Week 14

2015-04-29 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5111788

User image

, Connecticut
I think I'm up next! Tingles thinking about it. May 10 (happy Mother's Day to me!) I have a sprint Tri- short 250 yard pool swim, 9.3 mile outdoor bike and 3.2 mile outdoor run. I'm on vacation this week in sunny Florida (from ct) with the family so the 'tapering' has begun! Ha. I'll run another day here. And maybe bike on a stationary. Then I will prob swim on Monday or Tuesday. Run 2.5 Wednesday morning with friends and then stretch the rest of the week and focus on hydrating. (No booze)Crazy! I feel good. Very excited.

Great work bill! Suzy and Nicole, you are awesome. Nicole hope your hip feels better soon.
2015-04-30 12:38 AM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by Smiley9188

I think I'm up next! Tingles thinking about it. May 10 (happy Mother's Day to me!) I have a sprint Tri- short 250 yard pool swim, 9.3 mile outdoor bike and 3.2 mile outdoor run. I'm on vacation this week in sunny Florida (from ct) with the family so the 'tapering' has begun! Ha. I'll run another day here. And maybe bike on a stationary. Then I will prob swim on Monday or Tuesday. Run 2.5 Wednesday morning with friends and then stretch the rest of the week and focus on hydrating. (No booze)Crazy! I feel good. Very excited.

Great work bill! Suzy and Nicole, you are awesome. Nicole hope your hip feels better soon.

What a great way to celebrate Mothers Day!! Can't wait to hear your report on how you did
2015-04-30 2:10 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
This is how I feel, I may be slow but I will get there eventually

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (66KB - 2 downloads)
2015-04-30 6:35 PM

User image

That's one great photo of a super persistent turtle!!!!!!! Great post!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1055 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.