BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-05-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Originally posted by allan_c

Colleen,
Spin class plus run sounds like you are back on the road to triathlon.

I wasn't able to get in my scheduled swim yesterday (I just couldn't get out of work on time), but this AM I did a mini-brick work-out with a 9 mile bike and 1.4 mile run before work. Now I am full of energy for the day, which is a good thing as I am on for a 24 hour shift. Tomorrow's plan is a post-nap swim and run. I'm trying to get ready for a tri in just under three weeks. The open water swim is still making it a bit iffy in my mind, but I'll make the call at the last minute.

Have a great day everyone!
Catherine

Awesome job, catherine! Bricks feel so hard core, right? Go you! 3 weeks, you'll rock it. the swim is such a small part of it. stay balanced! you can do it! And take lots of naps!
~C

2015-05-28 2:14 PM

User image

, Connecticut

Go Nicole! Sounds like you are on a roll!

The Tri Team I worked out with last weekend has a gruesome run session planned for this weekend...20 minute warm up on ramps and stairs followed by strides and hill sprints then hill repeats. I am not sure what all these things mean...I just see hills, hills, hills...and I know I will be walking half of it. I have to decide if I am too embarrassed to go or whether I should suck it up, knowing that even if I do as much of it as I am capable of I will be gaining strength.

Should I go for it?

Catherine

GO FOR IT! (full confession, I read your description and then just heard blah blah blah in my head! If i can't even read the descrpiton I sure don't want to do the workout! You're awesome. You will not be embarrassed. they sound hard core, suck it up and surprise yourself. you can do it! can't wait to hear all about it!
~C
2015-05-29 8:34 PM

User image

Go Nicole! Sounds like you are on a roll!

The Tri Team I worked out with last weekend has a gruesome run session planned for this weekend...20 minute warm up on ramps and stairs followed by strides and hill sprints then hill repeats. I am not sure what all these things mean...I just see hills, hills, hills...and I know I will be walking half of it. I have to decide if I am too embarrassed to go or whether I should suck it up, knowing that even if I do as much of it as I am capable of I will be gaining strength.

Should I go for it?

Catherine

I say go!! You will probably learn a lot and you might even surprise yourself with your own ablity.
Nicole
2015-05-29 8:40 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

I am all packed up. Tomorrow is a Safe Harbour ride for domestic abuse. My husband and I decided to do this as it is closer than the diabetic one this weekend. I will do 25 miles and he does 63. I am doing more and more and feeling good. I just read an article about gears and shifting. I knew a lot of it already but didn't know the numbers.(my bike doesn't tell what gear it is in) I understand it more now. Education is great so you don't sound like an idot. Lol. I am excited as there will be a lot of people from the cycling community and tri community riding. I am hoping to make some friends. If not it hopefully it will be a great ride.

Have a great weekend!!
Nicole
2015-05-30 10:06 AM
in reply to: #5118426

User image

Have a great ride Nicole! That sounds fun.

I sucked it up an trained with the tri team this morning. I was slow, but I did it all - including 88 flights of stairs, 10 reps of strides (essentially lunges going downhill I learned), followed by hill sprints (which for me not sprints??).

This is how I felt in the middle of it all: ??????.
But this is how I felt at the end:
??????????
I did it, I hurt, and I will no doubt be stronger in my next run.

Tomorrow it's 20 miles on the bike!
2015-05-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: #5119124

User image

I had a great ride. 25 miles against domestic violence. Beautiful weather and met as guy that became my partner to ride with and the miles flew by. I bumped into a woman I met at the tri camp in March she was telling me about some upcoming events I will look into. She said I should look at doing a half triathlon. Food for thought.

Way to go Catherine!!

Don't forget to hydrate and stretch!!!
Nicole

2015-05-30 8:53 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Got out for a ride 3 days in a row. Was in the water yesterday, but that was for a 2 year olds b-day party. Maybe next time I might actually swim. Thinking about a run so that is progress.
2015-05-31 3:05 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by peto_primo

Got out for a ride 3 days in a row. Was in the water yesterday, but that was for a 2 year olds b-day party. Maybe next time I might actually swim. Thinking about a run so that is progress.

this made me chuckle. sometimes thinking about exercise is the best stepping stone to actually exercising! Good for you for getting into the water (and not swimming) and thinking about running. tee hee hee. gotta start somewhere! 3 rides in a row is fantastic!! good for you!
2015-05-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: #5119151

User image

I finally feel like I am getting back on track. After my morning of stairs and hills yesterday I got in a quick swim (just 500 yards) while my daughter had her swim lesson. Today I got in a 20 mile ride. Tonight I am sore everywhere, but no pain no gain!
2015-06-01 10:11 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well, last night I think I finally got my front derailleur aligned - with the help of a round file and sandpaper. Tonight I am hoping/planning on the first real ride. Still have to find both aerobars to get her race ready, but here she is (if I can make this work)

(Aloha1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Aloha1.jpg (279KB - 64 downloads)
2015-06-01 11:07 AM

User image

AWESOME!!!!!

2015-06-01 12:31 PM

User image

Well, last night I think I finally got my front derailleur aligned - with the help of a round file and sandpaper. Tonight I am hoping/planning on the first real ride. Still have to find both aerobars to get her race ready, but here she is (if I can make this work)

I love it. So sleek looking.
2015-06-01 12:32 PM

User image

Great job getting back at it!! Just keep moving.
2015-06-01 12:34 PM

User image

I finally feel like I am getting back on track. After my morning of stairs and hills yesterday I got in a quick swim (just 500 yards) while my daughter had her swim lesson. Today I got in a 20 mile ride. Tonight I am sore everywhere, but no pain no gain!

I hear you on that. I got busy in the yard and forgot to workout. I'm sore from my ride on Saturday. Thinking of you today, hopefully your not too sore.
2015-06-01 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by nekomidori

I had a great ride. 25 miles against domestic violence. Beautiful weather and met as guy that became my partner to ride with and the miles flew by. I bumped into a woman I met at the tri camp in March she was telling me about some upcoming events I will look into. She said I should look at doing a half triathlon. Food for thought.

Impressive ride!! Great cause!!!

Understand the "food for thought" comment on the half......I'm trying to get my mind around the goal of a long open water swim (1 mile plus) that my swim mentor has thrown out for consideration. Also, looks like I need to join the Masters Swim Team he coaches......

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-06-01 2:16 PM
2015-06-01 2:15 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Had my best week last week back at training since my 5/8 Sprint...although I only got 1 ride in; weather didn't cooperate over the weekend; hope to get a ride in late this afternoon.

Club pool has changed it's lap swim hours due to the club's swim team practices. Problem is they didn't update the schedule on their web site so I found out about the change when I arrived at the club for my swim. Back home for some yard work and then back mid day today; and I forgot my watch!! Darn. Schedule changed got me off on the wrong foot today. Only managed 1000 yards-my practice was a 2100 yard session.

Starting Wed will get to another park near by the house for early morning outdoor swims......

2015-06-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Ugh! No energy for the ride this afternoon; legs really tired; short ride but it was a tough one for some reason. Early yard work, swim with one kick set, my swim, and then mowing must have tired me more than I thought it would.......oh well, at least I did a swim and ride during the day.
2015-06-02 4:17 AM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Sitting here waiting for the pool to open this morning after I got out of work, using the time catching up on all of your postings. It sounds like everyone is doing a great job at training and moving forward

I have been uping my mileage in my running and biking. It amazes me that I once would say that I hate running and now I am finding myself looking forward to a run and looking for reasons to get outside so that I can run. I wish I could say the same about my swimming. Even sitting here waiting for my Swim Masters to start I am looking for reasons to leave I love the water but I am finding that I do not like swimming. I keep telling myself that I once was like this about running and that it will change, but I am not so sure.

I have another Tri in 2 weeks and yes I am concerned about the swim. It will be my first OWS and my longest yet at a 1/2 mile. I know that I will get through it, I just wonder how will I get through it? Will I be miserable? Will I feel fantastic? Will calmness come over me? I guess whatever happens, I will use it and learn from it

Keep up the Awesome work everyone!! Reading how all of you are doing and what you are doing keeps me motivated! Have a great week!!
2015-06-02 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That is one great looking bike, BUT you're on the small chain ring!
2015-06-02 7:08 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Man, everyone is doing really good and going at it strong. I finally started back at it last night with a 1.5 mile run and sadly my legs could tell that it had been a while, but they loosened up quickly. Things are finally starting to level out a bit for me and I feel confident that I can get back at it now. 10 mile ride planned for today, I'm trying to start back nice and easy for the first week or two to rebuild that routine I always spoke about.
2015-06-02 7:32 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Suzie, that's how I am EVERY time I swim...I have to give myself a big pep talk all the way to the pool. Once I get in I am OK, but it's still the part of my training that I am weakest at and most anxious about. I definitely love the bike the most.

I am signed up for an open water swim clinic tonight...and of course it's currently 46 degrees in Boston. Good thing I bought that fantasy pants wet suit Time to put it on and get tough.

I am scheduled for my first Tri of the season in 2 weeks...still on the fence about whether I will participate, as I am nervous about the swim. Tonight is a big test. If I can get through a substantial distance, even if it's ugly and I do lots of breast stroke, then I will go for it.

Wish me luck (and warmth) tonight everyone!

2015-06-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I knew I screwed something up with the picture but I couldn't place it as I was taking it! Looking at it, something didn't seem right. I'll fix that whenever I find my aerobars and take another

What is this "Routine" you speak of? Training happens in binges doesn't it? That is the successful way(or maybe what I have been doing so far this year

Got out last night on it and felt pretty good did 16.5 miles and just need a couple of more tweeks.

Edited by peto_primo 2015-06-02 9:19 AM
2015-06-02 1:41 PM

User image

, Connecticut

ooohhh! she's pretty!
2015-06-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Ok, I did the same ride today on Ki'lani that I did on Saturday on Isaac. I probably pushed a little too much but with my new bike being 15 lbs lighter than my 29er, I dropped 10 minutes over the course of the ride. IT WAS FUN.

Now to lose the belly, it got in the way on the drops, can't imagine what would happen with aerobars - lowered where they should be
2015-06-02 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

What is this "Routine" you speak of? Training happens in binges doesn't it? That is the successful way(or maybe what I have been doing so far this year

That's what I'm talking about, it's embarassing how much this year has been all talk and no action for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1058 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.