BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-06-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Can't wait to hear all about your race!

I've been struggling through trainings. I can't motivate but I get out there and then am so happy that I did. Ran 4 miles yesterday and biked 15 today. Feeling good, proud. I'm running a 5k next weekend, I am hoping for a sub 30!

And yeah, I can't stop thinking about the wetsuits!! Awesome

2015-06-15 12:05 AM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Break 30 you can do it!!!

I will start running some time, but I am so far behind on the bike plan. I did my longest ride in forever - at least 19 months but I am sure longer.

And it involved some climbing - am way behind on that too. first real climbing day of the season.

Oh and for good measure, probably the warmest day I have ridden thus far. Says it was low 80's but felt warmer about the time I ran out of water. I did stop and do a gatorade refill with about 40 minutes left to ride. I have a lot of work to do over the next 5 weeks.

I am bailing on the plan to ride the century + on Saturday and doing a sprint tri on Sunday. Maybe another year.
2015-06-15 9:26 AM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188

Can't wait to hear all about your race!

I've been struggling through trainings. I can't motivate but I get out there and then am so happy that I did. Ran 4 miles yesterday and biked 15 today. Feeling good, proud. I'm running a 5k next weekend, I am hoping for a sub 30!

And yeah, I can't stop thinking about the wetsuits!! Awesome

You'll do the sub 30! Just keep after it on the training; good that you got out and ran; we weren't motivated to do our weight session yesterday but went ahead and did it; and like you happy that we did!!

Agree on the wet suits. Friend is offering to let me try his before I purchase; although the special that shows up on BT is a good buy according to another friend who has the same product.....I may just go ahead and place the order...
2015-06-15 9:29 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

Break 30 you can do it!!!

I will start running some time, but I am so far behind on the bike plan. I did my longest ride in forever - at least 19 months but I am sure longer.

And it involved some climbing - am way behind on that too. first real climbing day of the season.

Oh and for good measure, probably the warmest day I have ridden thus far. Says it was low 80's but felt warmer about the time I ran out of water. I did stop and do a gatorade refill with about 40 minutes left to ride. I have a lot of work to do over the next 5 weeks.

I am bailing on the plan to ride the century + on Saturday and doing a sprint tri on Sunday. Maybe another year.

Good luck with your sprint this coming weekend!! We had our warmest ride of the season last Saturday....only 23 miles but it was a pretty good ride; moderate pace; tired by the end though.

2015-06-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
It is the last Tuesday of Spring!!!

What is everyone's training week looking like?

Any races this weekend?

Looking to get 4 rides in this week. - On Saturday, add 30 minutes to my long ride time from 2 days ago, and follow it up with something about 60-70% of that ride on Sunday (Fathers Day present to me.)
get in the pool once for training and try and get 1 or 2 runs in.

2015-06-17 9:26 AM

User image

Good swim this morning; cloudy and light mist; temps in the low 60's;

Normal training for me this week....what ever "normal' is..... Finding it difficult to get a ride in due to the crazy weather and storms in the afternoons.

Yesterday's weight training session had to be postponed til tonight;our home's HVAC system gave up the ghost yesterday after nearly 20 years; had to make arrangements to replace; that happens tomorrow; although cool, humidity today is nasty; if it stays overcast the house should stay comfortable;
have to say was a bit hard to concentrate on my swim this morning in view of this unexpected/unplanned expense.....

2015-06-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5122495

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Tri Goddess Tri was a week ago today. Not sure if where you live that you are getting pounded with all the rain like I am but it seems to be non stop and I'm lucky when I can find a dry patch to get a outside to get a workout in. Last Sunday was no different.

Woke up to thunder and lighting so I wasn't even sure if they would have the Tri. Had already driven 3hrs the night before so I wasn't going to just not go. By the time I made it to transition it had stopped raining for me to set up. Went down to the beach and waited for the start. This was going to be my longest swim at a 1/2 mile. Swim started well. My only goal for the swim was to not stop and to keep moving. I didn't want to hold onto a kayak or a buoy for a breather. I alternated between the breaststroke and freestyle. I wasn't fast but I met my goal of doing it without any breaks. That was the only goal I was able to accomplish that day. As I was coming around the last bouy the rain started again. I had a 1/4 of a mile to transition from the swim to the bike and it was pouring down hard! The ride was miserable. Couldn't see well and the rain never let up. By the time I made it back to the transition area it was a big mud hole. My feet sank and mud filled my bike shoes as I was trying to get to my spot to re-rack my bike. Even though I had dry socks and shoes to put on for my run it didn't really matter. The run was a trail run which was now all mud. Trying to run you would slip and sink and it was impossible to keep your balance. At times, I would be in mud up to my calves. It was not a fast run if you could even call it that. By the time I was done my Hoka's were pure mud. I finished, not fast, and I felt defeated because I wasn't able to meet all my goals. I came away from it unhappy. That feeling stayed with me for a few days. Finally my husband told me that I just needed to get over it, and if I didn't stop beating myself up about it, then he didn't want me to keep doing them. We talked, he listened, and I listened. It's just what I needed. I have a tendency to beat myself up about things. Even though I am not out there competing trying to place, I am competing with myself. I had goals and I wasn't able to accomplish them. Yes the weather wasn't helpful and it was more than likely why I could meet my own goals. But looking back now, I am happy about what I did do. My swim although not fast, it was good and I felt good. So Yeah for me Even though the rain made the rest of the Tri miserable and slowed me down, I didn't quit and I never stopped. It pushed me in a way that I wasn't expecting and I was able to over come it by finishing. I have learned from it and I'm ready to move on. I feel like I am able to keep up my hard work and I'm not going to let this small set back hold me back. So what do you do to keep yourself motivated? I signed up for another Tri on July 18th. So I am back to working out and training and keeping myself happy sometimes the head games is worse than the actual action and I need to learn this and not let my head get in the way of my heart. I need to stay happy and keep doing the best that I can and everything else will fall into place, some times good and some times bad, but whatever the case is learn from the experience and be happy!
2015-06-22 5:28 AM
in reply to: #5123847

User image

Suzie, those conditions sound truly miserable. I think you should be proud for powering through and finishing in that terrible weather. And yeah on the swim!

A week ago I did my first sprint of the season. The swim was absolutely miserable...it was my first salt water OWS. The water was a bit choppy, and I drank about a gallon of it. I got panicky and ended up doing almost the whole swim backstroke. I was the last person out of the water.

The bike was fabulous...a really beautiful ride, no big hills, and it just felt great.

By the time I hit the run I felt completely spent. I walked a lot and ended up with a 12:30 pace.

I knew I was undertrained for this race, but I learned some lessons. First, I need to swim swim swim. I got in the pool twice last week and then did an open water swim on Saturday. 2nd, I am not running enough. I will remedy that this week, as I have to go to Geneva for work, and I am pretty sure running will be my only training opportunity while away.

My next sprint is in Sept., so lots of time to improve before then!
Catherine
2015-06-22 9:19 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Catherine's comments are right on about your accomplishment in that Sprint!!! You overcame the weather conditions to complete the event! I'm betting some folks didn't complete the entire race and I also bet that others decided to not even try. So Kudos to you!!!!!
2015-06-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Catherine....

Congratulations on your first sprint!!! Awesome....open water swim in the ocean.....how impressive!!! Regardless of your results you finished the event and should be very proud of yourself. We are all learning what it takes to improve....and we have to keep in mind how many folks there are out there not even trying. So we keep pushing ourselves to improve and meet the goals we have set for ourselves.

Have a great trip!
2015-06-22 10:32 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by Suzie471

That was the only goal I was able to accomplish that day.
So what do you do to keep yourself motivated? I signed up for another Tri on July 18th. So I am back to working out and training and keeping myself happy
sometimes the head games is worse than the actual action and I need to learn this and not let my head get in the way of my heart. I need to stay happy and keep doing the best that I can and everything else will fall into place, some times good and some times bad, but whatever the case is learn from the experience and be happy!

Unless you planned for every contingency, I doubt you set your goals with the weather in mind. You accomplished your swim goal - fantastic !! Even in training I slow down big time on the bike in the rain, even if it is a drizzle. You mind (typically) is only going to allow you to ride as fast as you can see. An it doesn't sound like your course was conducive to running fast in the rain - and trail runs are generally slower than paved courses.

The only race I ever beat my goal time was my first race - but would you rather shoot for the moon - fall short and leave the atmosphere or shoot for the clouds and make that? which pushes you farther?

Great job signing up for another - and wonderful insight at the end !!!!

2015-06-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: #5123913

User image

Suzie, I can only imagine your feelings of defeat but I think you overcame so much to finish. You signed up for a tri and ended up with a tough mudder! Fantastic! That is excellent that you signed up for your next one. Very inspiring.
Nicole
2015-06-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: #5124007

User image

I have been working out here and there not at all consistent. I am struggling with do I want to keep doing triathlons? Life is getting in the way and it is a struggle that I'm loosing right now with my work outs.
I ran around my block the other day about a mile and I felt good afterwards that was encouraging.
The heat is killing me. It is in the high 90's by 9 am. I'm looking at taking some spin classes after work to get my cycling in.
Nicole
2015-06-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by nekomidori

You signed up for a tri and ended up with a tough mudder!
Nicole

That made me smile big time
2015-06-23 2:18 AM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Thanks everyone for the supportive comments! Every day and every race is a new learning experience for me. I just need to learn that all of my experiences may not be perfect but that you can find the good in the bad too I LOVE our supportive community and I can wait to hear how all of you are doing with your next upcoming races. GO TURTLES!!
2015-06-23 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry gang for my absence, but between my wife (teacher) and daughter both being out of school I have been basically spending all my extra time with them as pay back for the past 5 months of not getting to really do as much with them as I like. Add into it that my work will no longer allow us to view any Forum related sites on our computers and further banned us for posting to them even from our cellular phones during work hours it has just made it really hard for me to keep up and post. I know the rule was intended for Facebook but since the rule is written up the way it is it sucks up all forum related sites, which also stops me for posting to my hunting and fishing forums (looked at these more than posted). I will catch up on everything tomorrow after I get home from work and sleep a couple hours (working nights right now). I hope that everyone is still doing great.

2015-06-25 12:47 AM
in reply to: #5124011

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Well guess what -igot in the water. Kids at church had a pool day so i went to. Grabbed a kick board and went back and forth for over 10 minutes.

Also, i hit my biggest month on the bike since October2007. And there is still a week left.. now If i could run once or twice.
2015-06-26 9:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

Well guess what -igot in the water. Kids at church had a pool day so i went to. Grabbed a kick board and went back and forth for over 10 minutes.

Also, i hit my biggest month on the bike since October2007. And there is still a week left.. now If i could run once or twice.

Outstanding!!!!
2015-06-27 7:42 PM

User image

My training buddies this week! They did great during our outing today!! Lili and Tobey our Weimar grand dogs...

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1406KB - 8 downloads)
2015-06-27 11:14 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Did they make you push the pace??!!!??

How fun
2015-06-28 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bill those are 2 impressive dogs. I bet they could also hunt!

2015-06-28 6:36 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
This Clydesdale got a run !

2.54 miles 35 minutes, a number of obstacles and muck to negotiate - have not been down to the horse trails since march - lots of water/changes.
2015-06-30 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice run. I wish I had tails close to me for something different and a change
2015-07-01 2:07 PM

User image

, Connecticut
sorry for the unexplained absence. I've been down in the dumps. I ran the 5k two weeks ago at 32 minutes (which is not a sub-30). SIGH! I was bummed and really I was surprised at how much not meeting my goal affected me. I ran 3 miles which aint bad, but to set a goal and fail just really sucked (I know that sounds really absurd but whatever, somehow somewhy I became really negative).

I have a race on 7/16 that I've considered skipping and just focusing on my 8/30 race but I'm going to do it. No expectations except to swim the whole time, bike the whole time and run the whole time. That's fair. that's a HUGE accomplishment for me and it's entirely possible. This is fun, a unique way to exercise. it's not anything to get upset about. I'm a dope for being so bummed about running a 5k in 32 minutes. It's 1 minute per mile faster than I typically run so I'm proud of that! And I'm hoping to try to get some speed running in too. just need to figure out when.

also I've also packed on 10 lbs. which really annoys me but it's the cookies, beers, junk food that I know I can't eat and stay my weight. and I know that affected my 5k time. sigh

And I've been slacking on my workouts. I'm running, but I just don't care/like it right now. I'm biking at spin class and I'm not really swimming since I'm being a bit cocky that it's not a big concern of mine, the swimming. But hello! I need to do some swimming! And I need to push harder on the bike and the runs- ugh, I still don't love it but at least I'm still doing it.

So i'm back on track--- i think. i'm biking on my trainer in the basement durning naptime. I'm using the weekend to run and bike and I'm trying ot figure out some swimming. i borrowed a wetsuit from a friend so I'll give that a go tonight. hopefully this propels me back into race-training mode. (and weight loss mode!)
2015-07-02 7:53 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Bill those are 2 impressive dogs. I bet they could also hunt!

Yeah, they like to "track" critters! Lili especially.....in fact a couple of years ago just prior to our daughter's wedding, they caught a ground hog that made the mistake of coming into the yard....scratch one ground hog; they were quite excited this morning when a deer went across the backyard right here in their neighborhood. Tuesday's walk was a challenge with the rabbits messing with them....)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.