BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-01-02 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
GROUP FOCUS: Sprints, 5K, 10K, this group will be geared more towards those with limited to no experience to get you through your Sprint, 5K, 10K, group bike ride, or whatever challenge you issue to yourself. In case you are wondering "Turtles" has to do with moving at whatever pace is necessary to accomplish the goals that are set. Speed is not an issue in this group, if you have it great, if you don't have it great, it makes no difference.

NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd

STORY: I'm a 40-44 age grouper (39) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years). I used swimming, cycling, and running to help me through the cravings, and to improve my health. I completed my first Sprint a little more than two months later, then a fifty mile bike ride a month after that, a few more sprints, and then completed the Houston Marathon just a little after my one year smoke free mark. I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for five years now, and will never even take a puff off another cigarette as long as I live. I have chosen to make Triathlon a life style and compete for the enjoyment. I'm not going to say that I never look where I finish, but I compete against myself and care more about the journey along the way. I have completed two Half Ironman races, 1 Olympic, numerous sprints as well as running and cycling events. I am not a trainer nor a doctor, but do find great joy and satisfaction through the hard work and accomplishment of others.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 14 years, with one beautiful (Spoiled Rotten) daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back at it, but when is full swim try my hardest to get in three swims, three bikes, and three runs per week. (short, medium, long)

2014 RACES: Galveston Half Ironman (5:58:14) among others.

2015 RACES: Buffalo Springs Half Ironman (June) and will mix in some others.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am lucky in this category and have never had an issue with my weight. I do want to lower my body fat % and become leaner, but that will come with training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: As stated above, I enjoy the accomplishments of others, whether they are small or large, because the accomplishment is relative to the individual and should be celebrated. I enjoy interacting with others to keep them motivated and positive about the goals they have set and the positive path they are on. I will make sure to answer any and all questions you have and if I do not know the answer I will do the research and get you the answer. I have been able to make friends through BT with very knowledgeable people who can help me if I need it. I will be there to send out inspires, challenge the group, and keep everyone logging and active. While I am not the most experienced, I am very passionate about this sport and people who are trying to make a change in their life.

Group Rules / Request: I am searching for those subjects that will participate in this group through logging their workouts, questions / comments in the thread, and by inspiring others in the group. No goal is to small for this group and will be celebrated as an accomplishment. We will all work to motivate each other and maintain a positive group. No arguments / discussion about Politics, Religion, Gun Control, and the like topics that tend to inflame others. You are free to take that to Cup of Joe. We can speak of things none Tri related but they should not be negative in any way. I just want a good group that communicates, works out, and enjoys the journey towards their goals.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2015-02-11 8:16 AM

2015-01-07 8:58 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Hi todd! This sounds more up my alley as far as mentor groups. I'm not sure why your group name isn't on the first mentor group page and I'm not exactly sure if I'll ever figure out how to find this again but I'd like to join this group. Please tell me what is expected of me as part if this group.

My story- I swam in my childhood and high school. I took up running ( slow running) about 7 years ago and have off and on run, mostly 32 minute mile 5ks, for the last 7'years in between having two kids and injuries. I haven't been on a bike in years except for renting one on the boardwalk last summer, and in fact I don't own one yet. I am signed up for an indoor sprint tri next weekend (holy crap!)

My goal is to do 5 sprints this year. I suspect I'll do more after learning the tricks of the trade but could really use a place to ask silly questions.

Is there a way to make this group a favorite?
2015-01-13 1:01 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright, now you have read about me and hopefully you have decided to jump on the Turtle and go for a ride. If you decide to be a Turtle then please tell everyone and me about yourself. Below is a good guide to use:

NAME:

STORY:

FAMILY STATUS:

CURRENT TRAINING:

2014 RACES:

2015 RACES:

WEIGHTLOSS:

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:

2015-01-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Hi Todd

I'd like to rejoin Todd's Tri Turtles. Here is my bio again with some updated info.

NAME: Lovey/Tracy

STORY: I was in this group last 3 rounds of mentoring. I can't say enough about the support and encouragement I received.
Over the past 5 years, I have done maybe 3 triathlons, 1 duathlon and dozens of road races (5ks, 10Ks, 10 milers, half mary's and 1 marathon). I was pulled from my first sprint triathlon but that just motivated me to finish that race the following year. Running is my preference. I started this journey to get in shape and found my love of running. I took most of 2012 off after shattering my ankle in a bike crash. After surgery, 8 screws and a plate in my ankle, I took 2013 to start my journey over. Running a mile was an accomplishment!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys, 16 and 11 years old who are super active.

CURRENT TRAINING: I was following a custom BT training plan but plan to revamp my training plan to be swim focused since I suck at it. Also working on being consistent with my workouts.

2014 RACES: Completed a sprint triathlon (pool swim) in April 2014 and did an OWS (open water swim) practice early May where we swam about 1100 yards. I deferred my open water triathlon and duathlon due to family deaths at the time of my summer races.

2015 RACES:
I will be doing the triathlon and duathlon I had to defer last year.
-NYC Women's half marathon in April
-2015 team challenge with Kara Goucher: complete 2015 miles by the end of 2015

WEIGHTLOSS: I race as an Athena and will likely stay there. However, I would like to be a smaller Athena. Goal is to eat healthy, get lean and lose 30 pounds. I plan to restart using My Fitness Pal to track my eating. i had a difficult 2014 and my body showed it.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Accountability. I want to both give and receive encouragement and support.
I started this year with added weight and very unmotivated. I want my mojo back. I need goals to works towards.
We will push each other sometimes even without knowing.

Edited by Lovey 2015-01-16 8:42 PM
2015-01-19 11:08 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great to have you back! Not sure how many we'll get with the late start.
2015-01-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

NAME: Stephanie

STORY: I'm turning 40 this year and want it to be the year of my first Tri! I picked up running a year and a half ago and have had ups and downs, stops and starts. I really don't want to run more longer than a 10K, so a Sprint Tri is my next step. Swimming is going to be the toughest for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters, 4 and 6 years old

CURRENT TRAINING: Recently got back into running after being in a rut for a couple months that started with a month of sciatic pain. After that I had a hard time getting back into the routine of it again. I also just decided I need to add more strength training and yoga/stretching.

2014 RACES: One measly little local 5K

2015 RACES: TBD- Can anyone recommend a good Illinois/Chicagoland Tri for first-timers?

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I lost about 10 lbs when my husband and I decided to change our diet to (mostly) real food, less meat, and more veggies. I gained 5 back over the summer despite remaining active. Can anyone say "Backyard BBQ"? I'd like to take that 5 off again because it felt great, but I'm not really in it for weightloss. I just want to be healthy and active and set a good example for my daughters.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am definitely motivated when I have support and someone telling me what to do. Lol, when I started running I had one of those couch to 5K-type apps and as long as that person was in my ear telling me it was time to run, I did, no matter how slowly. To get out of my recent rut I decided to download a similar (but more advanced) app. It worked. It only took a couple weeks to be able to do a 5K without walking again. By no means fast, but I'm not in it for speed.

2015-01-20 7:13 PM
in reply to: steph325

Stephanie welcome to the Turtles. Don't worry about the off and on again, we all go through that. The hardest thing about all of this is making workouts a part of a routine, the workout part is simple. Also don't worry about the 10k part, that is plenty far enough for a sprint. Tracy will be an excellent person to show you how a busy mom can still get it all done. Happy to see your post because I was getting worried after several great years that the Turtles might not get off the runway. Again welcome and we will have a great time!!
2015-01-21 1:50 PM
in reply to: HuntingTriathlete

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I was off for a few days. I was sick in bed, so miserable to be sick. Tomorrow is a new day to start again.

Welcome to everyone, it is good to be back.
2015-01-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

I was off for a few days. I was sick in bed, so miserable to be sick. Tomorrow is a new day to start again.

Welcome to everyone, it is good to be back.

I feel you there as I just got over something myself. It's that time of year
2015-01-22 3:05 AM

User image

, Louisiana
Christian Summers

Have dabbled in running road races for a couple of years, signed up to do first triathlon (Sprint) on March 29th.

Married for twelve years with two boys and a girl.

Flying by the seat of my pants....I don't know how the heck y'all train. Where to start?

A smattering of 5, 10k and 10-milers last year.

One 5k this year, after a five-month layoff due to plantar fasciitis.

Was into powerlifting before I began running in January 2012, weighed 260 with 18% bodyfat. Am now 182 with 5%.

I served in the United States Marine Corps. I am driven, focused and...take orders well.
2015-01-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: cs982720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Christian first off THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Second, welcome to the Turtles and thanks for letting us come along on your journey. We will get into training and the like when we get really started, but start out now by taking a look at the plans here on BT. The sprint plans will give you a pretty good idea of what / how you need to proceed.

Again Welcome and Thanks for your Service.

2015-01-22 3:55 PM

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder
NAME: Espen

STORY: I managed to start 'just doing it' in 2009 after years and years without exercise and a diet to die from. It looked really bad, but I got the ball rolling eventually. Since then I have gone from 250 to 198 pounds and learned the hard way to love running, even if endurance-type sports have been what I dreaded the most in my youth. I still consider myself a turtle speedwise, but have gotten my 10K time down to 55 minutes. A goal for 2015 is to push below 50 minutes. But time is really not my main motivation, weightloss and "the journey" have been my why. I have ran a half marathon, quite a few 10K's and participated in a local weekly trail-running cup during the spring and summer. A colleague challenged me to a triathlon sprint that is setup this august in my home town. After thinking about it for … well … a month, I decided to go with it! It's all part of my midlife crisis :-) I am now in the process of getting a bike, and have started contemplating how to fit all this training into everyday life. My goal with this tri is to have fun with the training and do the race in such a way that I want to do it again. I have been swimming on and off for a couple of years, but have no experience with cycling. Approaching 40 and have now and have come to the insight that I am half way gone. Thats a good motivation to have :-) As I said : midlife crisis. You are warned.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for – counting – 14ish years. Wow…time flies. Three kids in the range 5 to 10 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING: One swim, one basketball and two running. Need to ramp these up. New trainingplan to be anounced.

2014 RACES: 3 x 10K's around in the nordic countries. I live in Norway by the way.

2015 RACES: Tri Sprint and 10K in august, half marathon on the Faroe Islands in june. Possibly a sprint i june and late august in addition.

WEIGHTLOSS: 15 pounds on the negative side would please me both in the mirror and with running shoes on, getting some more speed in my running.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to write, and have contributed in various forums during the last years during my weightloss journey. I don't take my self to seriously, and tend to stick to my goals when I finally decide to go with it. Having a positive community around you in such a process is both seriously important and very inspiring. I aim to give something back by being here :-)
2015-01-22 5:13 PM

User image

New user

Redding, Connecticut
Hi Todd,

I'd love to join Todd's Tri Turtles! I'm just starting to train for my second Sprint!!

- Emily
2015-01-22 6:07 PM
in reply to: emilyday

User image

New user

Redding, Connecticut
NAME: Emily Hall

STORY: At the age of 29, I had my first kid, quit smoking, started doing Yoga and cycling. Fell in love with fitness. Fast forward eight years, post bad breakup and three major moves I found myself bummed out, over weight, and living as a single mom in the suburbs. I decided to to a triathlon because, what the hell - fell in LOVE again.

FAMILY STATUS: Single Mom of an awesome daughter (10) who lives next door to her parents (ack).

CURRENT TRAINING: Sporadic (I know, bad), but newly comitted. I swim laps at the recenter pool (25 yrd), do indoor cycling and sit on my trainer when it's cold (I'm a wimp), run outdoors and on the treadmill at the rec center (again, a wimp in the cold).

2014 RACES: Title 9 Triathlon, Hopkinton, MA

2015 RACES: Cocoa Beach Triathlon (April 12)

WEIGHTLOSS: I weigh about 165, I'm sure I'll be down around 155 during race season. I registered as an Athena for Cocoa Beach. I'm sure weightloss will happen, but it is not my goal. I am a happily slow triathlete and am sure that I will get faster and lighter the more I train and healthier I eat. I do like to eat mindfully while I'm training, but I admit that I would eat nachos and drink pinot every day if it didn't make me feel like I was going to die 20 minutes into a run.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: You know, I don't know! Perhaps it's because I am someone who is willing to be honest, accountable, and maintains a sense of humor even when things are looking a bit rough. I am new to triathlon, but I love it and I want to keep that race-day comradery while I train. It's that feeling of being in it together right before the swim starts that got me hooked and I'm hoping to find some folks to be in it together with in these forums.

2015-01-23 8:45 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Gnoory

NAME: Espen

STORY: I managed to start 'just doing it' in 2009 after years and years without exercise and a diet to die from. It looked really bad, but I got the ball rolling eventually. Since then I have gone from 250 to 198 pounds and learned the hard way to love running, even if endurance-type sports have been what I dreaded the most in my youth. I still consider myself a turtle speedwise, but have gotten my 10K time down to 55 minutes. A goal for 2015 is to push below 50 minutes. But time is really not my main motivation, weightloss and "the journey" have been my why. I have ran a half marathon, quite a few 10K's and participated in a local weekly trail-running cup during the spring and summer. A colleague challenged me to a triathlon sprint that is setup this august in my home town. After thinking about it for … well … a month, I decided to go with it! It's all part of my midlife crisis :-) I am now in the process of getting a bike, and have started contemplating how to fit all this training into everyday life. My goal with this tri is to have fun with the training and do the race in such a way that I want to do it again. I have been swimming on and off for a couple of years, but have no experience with cycling. Approaching 40 and have now and have come to the insight that I am half way gone. Thats a good motivation to have :-) As I said : midlife crisis. You are warned.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for – counting – 14ish years. Wow…time flies. Three kids in the range 5 to 10 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING: One swim, one basketball and two running. Need to ramp these up. New trainingplan to be anounced.

2014 RACES: 3 x 10K's around in the nordic countries. I live in Norway by the way.

2015 RACES: Tri Sprint and 10K in august, half marathon on the Faroe Islands in june. Possibly a sprint i june and late august in addition.

WEIGHTLOSS: 15 pounds on the negative side would please me both in the mirror and with running shoes on, getting some more speed in my running.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to write, and have contributed in various forums during the last years during my weightloss journey. I don't take my self to seriously, and tend to stick to my goals when I finally decide to go with it. Having a positive community around you in such a process is both seriously important and very inspiring. I aim to give something back by being here :-)

Espen, welcome to the Turtles and congrats on the weight loss and journey to this point. I don't see a mid life crisis, I see a person trying to make the most of what they can while they can. You running background will give you a good start.
2015-01-23 9:19 AM
in reply to: emilyday

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by emilyday

NAME: Emily Hall

STORY: At the age of 29, I had my first kid, quit smoking, started doing Yoga and cycling. Fell in love with fitness. Fast forward eight years, post bad breakup and three major moves I found myself bummed out, over weight, and living as a single mom in the suburbs. I decided to to a triathlon because, what the hell - fell in LOVE again.

FAMILY STATUS: Single Mom of an awesome daughter (10) who lives next door to her parents (ack).

CURRENT TRAINING: Sporadic (I know, bad), but newly comitted. I swim laps at the recenter pool (25 yrd), do indoor cycling and sit on my trainer when it's cold (I'm a wimp), run outdoors and on the treadmill at the rec center (again, a wimp in the cold).

2014 RACES: Title 9 Triathlon, Hopkinton, MA

2015 RACES: Cocoa Beach Triathlon (April 12)

WEIGHTLOSS: I weigh about 165, I'm sure I'll be down around 155 during race season. I registered as an Athena for Cocoa Beach. I'm sure weightloss will happen, but it is not my goal. I am a happily slow triathlete and am sure that I will get faster and lighter the more I train and healthier I eat. I do like to eat mindfully while I'm training, but I admit that I would eat nachos and drink pinot every day if it didn't make me feel like I was going to die 20 minutes into a run.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: You know, I don't know! Perhaps it's because I am someone who is willing to be honest, accountable, and maintains a sense of humor even when things are looking a bit rough. I am new to triathlon, but I love it and I want to keep that race-day comradery while I train. It's that feeling of being in it together right before the swim starts that got me hooked and I'm hoping to find some folks to be in it together with in these forums.

Emily, welcome to the Turtles and glad that you have another passion to get you back active and healthy. I agree with you 100% that having others in the journey with you makes it easier and so much more enjoyable. I think that when people are active in a group like this it pushes them to workout when they see others doing so, bring them satisfaction when others accomplish their goals, and gives us others to share everything with. (sometimes this is necessary because at times family and friends don't understand what or why we do this and what it means)

2015-01-23 3:11 PM

Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi Todd,

I'd like to join your mentor group!

NAME: Jenifir

STORY: I've been flirting with the idea of doing a triathlon for a little over year after being introduced to it by a former coworker. I'm 41 and have just quit smoking after smoking since I was 17. This isn't the first time I've quit but I am determined to make it the last.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced mom of 2, one of whom is grown and on his own. My youngest (daughter) is about to turn 15.

CURRENT TRAINING: During the last year, I've taken some small steps toward doing a triathlon - I've taken swim lessons, borrowed a bike, bought some basic gear and done some swim/bike/run workouts on my own. A few days ago I bought a road bike and Garmin Forerunner and registered for my first Sprint Triathlon - so it's ON now! LOL My first race will be 6/21/15. I've also joined a local triathlon club who is running a 10 week training program (for the triathlon I'm signed up for) which starts 4/13 - just about the time this mentoring program will end. Between now and then, I'd like to focus on building a base in each discipline and improving my overall fitness as well as learning whatever I can about triathlons, training, nutrition, etc.

2014 RACES: None

2015 RACES: Mojo Running-Metroparks Sprint Triathlon, 6/21/2015

WEIGHTLOSS: Not necessarily looking to lose weight but would definitely like to tone up and get rid of some slightly flabby areas.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Frankly...I'm on the hook now. LOL I've got to be ready for a tri by 6/21/15 and I've got to be ready to train with the tri group by 4/13. I enjoy the training, but my biggest obstacle has been knowing how to build a training plan that will keep me improving. I also train alone most of the time so it will be good to have some outside accountability.
2015-01-24 9:28 PM

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Hi Todd,

I'm Jen. I like the "Turtles" part of your title. (I'm not super interested in the race part of a tri as much as the endurance part.) I'd like to join your mentorship group if there's still room?

Here's my Intro thingy:

Name: Jen (38)

Story: I've wanted to complete a triathlon before I turned 40 for a few years. In the last few years I've gotten into running but it's not very stimulating (I have no interest in a marathon.) I LOVE swimming and it seemed like a nice way to "mix it up". I "know" how to ride a bike, but that is the part I'm most worried about. I found a local Sprint Tri that happens ON my 39th birthday and it seemed like the universe telling me to just do it.
Family Status: Married for 7 years, one daughter (4).

Current Training: Swimming 30 min two days a week, re-starting C25K two days a week, spin class one day a week, and a stationary/spin bike (self directed) one day a week. Strength training one day a week. Once the weather here in Chicagoland improves, I'll get on my actual bike and start running the trails (instead of the indoor track.) I swim slow, I run slow...but I have no clue where I stand with my bike. And I'm worried my race date doesn't leave much time with non-ice/snow weather to be on my actual bike.

2014 Races: None (Ugly Sweater 5K in 2013...but I'm not interested in "racing" and that's kind of what 5Ks are for? I'm more in to completing a challenge...but I'm not interested in running more than a 5K.)

2015 Races: Signing up for the Espirit de She - Naperville, IL on June 14th, 2015.

Weightloss: Struggled with my weight all my life, I lost a bunch of weight in 2012/2013 but gained most of it back in 2014 (husband lost his job, daughter had a lot of health problems). I know that exercise is a more productive way to deal with stress...so I'm back at it. Hoping to lose nearly 50lbs over the next year. This challenge should help with that.

Thanks,

Jen.

2015-01-24 9:34 PM
in reply to: jennifersmith847

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Oh...and what will make me a good mentee? I tend to do what I'm told? :-D um...I'm not really sure. Just that I need some help. I'm very nervous (esp about this mysterious "transition" thing) and I worry that I'm going to wear out my boss' willingness to answer all my crazy questions and allay my unfounded fears about triathlons.
2015-01-24 9:45 PM
in reply to: steph325

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Stephanie,

Have you thought of the Esprit de She (all women's) Triathlon in Naperville? It's in June and the swim is not in open water but the pool is giant. I think that's the one I'm going to do. In highschool I volunteered to record swimming times at the Chicago Tri. with my volleyball team (over 20 years ago). It looked SO intense. I decided Chicago should not be my first because of that (but once I understand how they actually work...maybe it'll be my second ;-).) Let me know which one you chose.

Jen.
2015-01-25 1:07 PM

User image

, Connecticut
HI Everyone! I'm ready to join this group! Confession, I'm part of another mentor group that I'm a bit lost in. They are training for Ironman races and using all sorts of language that I don't understand and training something crazy like 200 hours each week (is that even possible? maybe it's minutes? Still seems like a lot!). SO here I am:

NAME: Colleen

STORY: I'm a pretty mediocre athlete. I'm not very aggressive or fierce, I just like a good challenge. I started running with a small group last April after my daughter turned one. Someone in the group was training for a triathlon last summer. Triathlons seem so hard! And badass! And they have always seemed so out of my reach but when I learned more from her I realized I could totally do that! As long as I don't hurt myself. So I thought about it for months, spent hours at the local bike shop asking questions and figuring out how much it would cost to get the basics and aside from a bike and helmet, what exactly ARE the basics needed for a sprint triathlon? And then I decided to go for it. I've also been cyberstalking a local triathlon club that I finally joined. I still need to buy a bike and helmet but it's winter so who cares for right now! I signed up for an indoor triathlon which I raced last weekend (MY FIRST Tri!) and now I'm hooked. It was AWESOME. Seriously, if you are a newbie and can find an indoor triathlon I'd recommend it! It takes away the fear of that open water swim (OWS) and those fearsome transitions and lets you do the sport in the 'perfect' environment (lap pool, spin bike and treadmill).

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with two small kids (almost 5 and almost 2), I stay at home with my children and live in Wethersfield Connecticut (Hello fellow New Englanders and parents!)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm trying to run 2x a week, 3 miles each run and spin and swim once a week at this point. I plan to amp up my workouts to actual 'trainings' starting in March.

2014 RACES: zero Triathlons. I ran two 5k in about a 32 minutes each

2015 RACES: Well, I did that race last weekend. I plan on doing two low-key sprint triathlons this summer (there are weekly thursday night sprint tris where I live) as well as the Farmington Woods Women's Tri (september) as well as one other mid-summer race in CT.

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost 15 lbs on weightwatchers over the last 6 months (I'm at about 153 now- I feel so vulnerable sharing my weight! ). I'm hoping to lose about 10 more before the summer races but I'm not on weight watchers anymore.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Knowing other people are expecting me to contribute and hold me accountable will help me not slack so much. That being said, I totally slacked this week and drank way too much in a post race celebration! Back to focus this week.

Thank you for welcoming me into your group. I've read the posts and I'm excited to take this journey with so many of you! Let's be badasses together!

2015-01-25 3:53 PM

User image

Hi Everyone,
I am excited to get started and take on this Challenge in my life. I am a little bit scared but feel that is needed to have the right sized goal. I am ready to prove to myself I can do this.
NAME: Nicole

STORY: Hi Todd, I would love to join your turtles. I am ready to start training for a sprint in August. I have no experience with triathlons. My husband and 10yr old are cyclists. I am 41 and I am ready to challenge myself like I never have before. My children are doing a youth triathlon in April and I am excited and thought I want to see what I am made of. I didn't get my driver's license until I was in my thirties due to some fear. However, I walked and rode a simple off the shelf bike ev everywhere. My husband is interested in getting me over my fear of the bike(I fell off in my early 20's) I now have a Scott Contessa and I am ready to conquer my fears. I have a pool in my backyard and a membership to the YMCA. My swimming needs help as well. So I am basically starting from the beginning. I have done 2 rounds of P90x back in 2010 and 2012 and was able to keep it up.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with 2 sons, 10yr and 8yr. I work as a nanny part time. I used to cook professionally before my children were born. I am from New England as well(Maine, Conn., RI, and mostly MA) Currently I live in South Carolina.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been walking 10,000 steps a day for the last 2 weeks.

2014 RACES: I did a 1 mile fun run(14 minutes) and a 5K with my children.

2015 RACES: Greenville Triathlon in August

WEIGHTLOSS: I could stand to loose 10 lbs but I figure if I train it will probably take care of itself. I am more interesed in the inches and toning up.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am good at following schedules and easily motivated and once motivated I tend to motivate others. I have a positive attitude.
2015-01-25 10:20 PM

Hi everyone!

NAME: Shawn

STORY: I am a guy in the 35-39 race group living in Calgary, Alberta and I have decided that it is past time for me to get back into shape. I used to do a couple of 5k or 10k races, and a sprint triathlon or two per year, and the occasional half-marathon, but those were many years ago and I have been a couch-potato for so long that I am basically starting my training over from scratch. So what a great opportunity when a bunch of us at work committed to doing a sprint triathlon this July! Oh boy. I have tried to get back into shape in fits and starts over the past number of years but nothing has really stuck. I have learned that I need the motivation and accountability that comes from being part of a group with common goals in order to stick with a long-term workout plan. Am I nervous? Yes. This tri will be my first open water swim! Am I excited? Absolutely! I miss the self-confidence and improved self-image that I have when I am in good shape, and I can hardly wait to get back there.

FAMILY STATUS: Single and no kids. Just me and my two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: A few of us are following the Sprint - 2x Balanced - 20 Week program. I have more than 20 weeks before the race so I am doing the first week's program for two weeks to get back into the swing of things. I have a membership at a fitness center that has all the facilities I need to train, and it is close by where I live and on my way home from work. Training accountability and good-natured smack talk is kindly being provided by my colleagues.

2014 RACES: None

2015 RACES: Heart of the Rockies sprint triathlon in Invermere, B.C. on July 12.

WEIGHTLOSS: Sure! I am 6 foot 4 and am at the heaviest I have ever been at around 235 pounds. It's not the fact that I am 235 that bothers me, if I was lifting weights and 235 I wouldn't mind, but the fact is that the weight is due to fat and not muscle. I guess I am fortunate that my genetics have given me a lean body style that hides the weight well, but I have been too round (in my view) around the mid-section for too long for my liking. I have never been a person overly concerned with counting pounds and don't own a scale, but when I was doing races before I think I was closer to 205 (for whatever that's worth) and definitely had more muscle mass. So I am not looking to hit a particular weight, just to get into better shape and feel better about myself.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: After not having a regular workout routine for so long I am starting my training from the beginning again. I want to train smart and finish this year's race, hopefully with a decent time (for me), and avoid training injuries. I can take direction well and am always eager to hear what works for other people . I can't guarantee that I will be posting frequently on here but do look forward to being part of the group.

I look forward to joining the rest of the group on our training journeys!

Shawn
2015-01-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: jenateare

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jenateare

Hi Todd,

I'd like to join your mentor group!

NAME: Jenifir

STORY: I've been flirting with the idea of doing a triathlon for a little over year after being introduced to it by a former coworker. I'm 41 and have just quit smoking after smoking since I was 17. This isn't the first time I've quit but I am determined to make it the last.

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced mom of 2, one of whom is grown and on his own. My youngest (daughter) is about to turn 15.

CURRENT TRAINING: During the last year, I've taken some small steps toward doing a triathlon - I've taken swim lessons, borrowed a bike, bought some basic gear and done some swim/bike/run workouts on my own. A few days ago I bought a road bike and Garmin Forerunner and registered for my first Sprint Triathlon - so it's ON now! LOL My first race will be 6/21/15. I've also joined a local triathlon club who is running a 10 week training program (for the triathlon I'm signed up for) which starts 4/13 - just about the time this mentoring program will end. Between now and then, I'd like to focus on building a base in each discipline and improving my overall fitness as well as learning whatever I can about triathlons, training, nutrition, etc.

Jenifier welcome to the Turtles. First off congrats on QUITING (not trying to) smoking and as you read in my bio I was just like you and had quit so many times and can't remember. Two things about that, 1. triathlon and exercise is a large reason why I was able to quit, 2. some of us are cigarette crack heads so to speak. This time I said that I would not take one drag or touch one cigarette / cigar because I knew it would trigger that desire. YOU CAN DO THIS! You have plenty of time to prepare for your Sprint and will be ready. Again Welcome.
2015-01-26 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifersmith847

Hi Todd,

I'm Jen. I like the "Turtles" part of your title. (I'm not super interested in the race part of a tri as much as the endurance part.) I'd like to join your mentorship group if there's still room?

Here's my Intro thingy:

Name: Jen (38)

Story: I've wanted to complete a triathlon before I turned 40 for a few years. In the last few years I've gotten into running but it's not very stimulating (I have no interest in a marathon.) I LOVE swimming and it seemed like a nice way to "mix it up". I "know" how to ride a bike, but that is the part I'm most worried about. I found a local Sprint Tri that happens ON my 39th birthday and it seemed like the universe telling me to just do it.
Family Status: Married for 7 years, one daughter (4).

Current Training: Swimming 30 min two days a week, re-starting C25K two days a week, spin class one day a week, and a stationary/spin bike (self directed) one day a week. Strength training one day a week. Once the weather here in Chicagoland improves, I'll get on my actual bike and start running the trails (instead of the indoor track.) I swim slow, I run slow...but I have no clue where I stand with my bike. And I'm worried my race date doesn't leave much time with non-ice/snow weather to be on my actual bike.

Thanks,

Jen.

Jen welcome to the Turtles. Yep, speed is only important to the person that has it or wants it. You seem to already have a nice training schedule set up and C25K is a great way to get your running legs to the point they need to be for that next level of running with little to no risk of over use injuries. Again Welcome.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.