BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-03-03 7:15 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Originally posted by nekomidori

Well crap!!!!

Tweaked my left knee today on the bike. This is the knee I had replaced in 2/2013. It was only a brief ride, even noted in my remarks about the session my knee was a bit unhappy. That's an understatement! Swelling has set in all around the knee making it difficult to walk, climb stairs, etc.....a flashback to my rehab days,

The left knee has less ROM than my right, so I have to adjust the way I have my seat set and how I place my foot on the pedal. The only thing I can determine I did was to over flex the knee beyond what I can normally do. I didn't note that on my ride because when I've done that in the past the knee really barks.

Sitting here now wilth my knee on ice and elevated. It did ease just a bit by dinner time; maybe that's a good sign. Not sure about my swim in the morning. Will just have to judge how it is in the morning. This is the first bump in the road I've had with the left knee since my recovery/rehab.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's no big deal......

Hi Bill I hope your knee is feeling better with rest. Hopefully this is only a small bump in the road.

Thanks Nicole!!

It was good to know there's no "damage" to the "new knee".......Swelling is down this morning. Having to make the mental adjustment of not doing a bike/treadmill session today.

You had a great swim and bike session yesterday!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIll, so glad to hear that it was nothing major and just a minor set back. It seems like you are or have taken a look at your bike fit, but make sure you do and it is good for you. Your leg should never been straight even at the bottom of your pedal stroke, there should always be a slight bend. If that amout of bent is still to far then adjustments need to be made to minimize risk of injury. If this is the case I would go to a fitter and tell them of your medical issues and have them set up the bike. They know the addition by substraction of a bike and know where one thing has to be altered becuase of another. You on the hand like me and so many others will move the seat and then call it a day, but other adjustments likely need to be made.

2015-03-03 7:18 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by peto_primo

Originally posted by Gabby'smom

All Y'all's enthusiasm and excitement is contagious. Most of my goals are for 20-30 weeks out and I have been struggling with establishing just some consistency (and have been for well over 18 months).

But reading how y'all are getting after it, making progress, expressing apprehension at times is starting to kindle something. With some of you having races slated for this spring, I was kind of feeling left out. Yesterday I saw and started thinking about a Duathlon May 9. 5k - 34k - 5k - It would be a great thing to build towards and a gauge of how the preparations are going - 10 weeks out from now.

Peto,

Don't just think about the duathlon - just do it! Register today, that's half the battle. Maybe the easier half, but still half! Go for it

I hessitate to pull the trigger on registration - biggest reason - there is also a 6k that day through a Masters Running group I have raced with off and on over the last - eeks -7 years now. And they are doing a middle school 3 k cross country race with it. (2 laps for the adults 1 lap for the kids) I think I can get AJ to do it with me - and maybe even to train for it.
The duathlon would be more fun (for me) but the run would be cheaper and if I can get AJ to do her best - priceless.

Scott, you know me and I know you, so we both know that you need to and will race with AJ. We all have numerous years (God willing) after the kids are out of the house to race alone, but only so many years to do it with them and have those memories.
2015-03-03 7:28 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alright so now a list of the group (just a couple weeks later than I planned ) for anyone who wants to copy and past it into their training log dashboard.

Tri Turtles

Hunting Triathlete - Todd
Lovey - Tracy
nekomidori - Nicole
allan c - Catherine
Team S - Mike
Suzie471 - Suzie
barkncat - Patti
libbyfhenderson - Libby
Lizfuse - Liz
2NewKnees - Bill
Gnoory - Espen
peto primo - Scott
jennifersmith847 - Jen
Smiley9188 - Colleen
Tootalltippy - Joshua
Gabby'smom - Michellle
Steph325 - Stephaine
2015-03-03 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I am going to get back at it today after basically getting nothing in this past week. Work has been nuts for me as you all know but I finished out the first part of my conversion (so to speak) last night, which required basically every non family minute of every day. I have another deadline so to speak at the Start of April and then again the Second week of May, but by then I will be in the new position with more days off, so even when I'm having to kill myself it to get it all done, I will have extra hours of time to work out. It's awesome and funny how y'all killing it like y'all have been makes me feel guilty / bad when I miss a workout, which is a great thing for me. I always think, "Todd you would tell them to find some time during each of those days to do a little something and yet you did nothing." I have decided to restart my running plan because it really won't have any affect so to speak on which ever races I go with and noticed that my legs were really clunkey after the 5 mile run weekend before last, so extra time will be good to futher strengthening.
2015-03-03 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well, I am going to get back at it today after basically getting nothing in this past week. Work has been nuts for me as you all know but I finished out the first part of my conversion (so to speak) last night, which required basically every non family minute of every day. I have another deadline so to speak at the Start of April and then again the Second week of May, but by then I will be in the new position with more days off, so even when I'm having to kill myself it to get it all done, I will have extra hours of time to work out. It's awesome and funny how y'all killing it like y'all have been makes me feel guilty / bad when I miss a workout, which is a great thing for me. I always think, "Todd you would tell them to find some time during each of those days to do a little something and yet you did nothing." I have decided to restart my running plan because it really won't have any affect so to speak on which ever races I go with and noticed that my legs were really clunkey after the 5 mile run weekend before last, so extra time will be good to futher strengthening.

Up until Saturday, I did nothing for a week. Gyms opened later due to weather but I am off to work by then.
I walked 5 miles on Saturday indoor.
Today, I resumed my "Swim Zero to One Mile" program.

Even though I messed up the first 2 days of March,
My challenge is to have a peach day for the rest of the month. It must be at least 15 minutes to count. If it is a rest day, I usually do a focus stretching session or yoga.

I CHALLENGE anyone and everyone to join me in this MARCH WORKOUT MADNESS!
2015-03-03 11:01 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Alright so now a list of the group (just a couple weeks later than I planned ) for anyone who wants to copy and past it into their training log dashboard.

Tri Turtles

Hunting Triathlete - Todd
Lovey - Tracy
nekomidori - Nicole
allan c - Catherine
Team S - Mike
Suzie471 - Suzie
barkncat - Patti
libbyfhenderson - Libby
Lizfuse - Liz
2NewKnees - Bill
Gnoory - Espen
peto primo - Scott
jennifersmith847 - Jen
Smiley9188 - Colleen
Tootalltippy - Joshua
Gabby'smom - Michellle
Steph325 - Stephaine

I need a little guidance on how to add everyone, can you tell me how to do it?

2015-03-04 4:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Go into the menu and choose FORUM --> FRIENDS. Search up your friend, press the little icon on the picture and the profile appears to the right. Press ADD FRIEND. Voila!

Edited by Gnoory 2015-03-04 4:51 AM

(Capture3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture3.JPG (112KB - 3 downloads)
2015-03-04 8:33 AM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Gnoory

Go into the menu and choose FORUM --> FRIENDS. Search up your friend, press the little icon on the picture and the profile appears to the right. Press ADD FRIEND. Voila!

Espen gave you one way, the other way is just to left click on the persons name above their post and then left click on Add Friends, which will put them in your friends file. So once you do this for everyone, click on Community in the top banner and then click on Friends and everyone will be there in one place.
2015-03-04 12:53 PM

User image

Thanks Todd!!! The information was quite helpful. It's not so much the extension that is restricted in my left knee, it's the flexion. I have the correct bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke, it's the rotation where I have the issues. I make sure I'm not rotating my hips to make the full rotation of the pedals. I'll check with the local bike shop for other input as you advise.

2015-03-04 3:57 PM

User image

Hi Everyone,
I want to say that I love this forum group. I have everyone down as a friend. I like how there is a group that is going through or has been through what I am going through. I don't know about anyone else but I log my training here on this site plus on my myfitnesspal app on my phone. It is great that some of you are there on my phone with me. I sometimes stop and think on my lighter workout days about logging in a food and having everyone know that I am not doing what I am supposed to. Although if I need a splurge I go for it.
Anyways,
This is week 6 on my training(week 4 with my swim coach) I am feeling good. I am getting the hang of things. I am in a rhythem with how things go. Monday my swim coach said it is time to change. Of course it is. Lol. After 4 weeks the body gets used to the work and you burn less.
So I am bringing it all up a notch. I actually started to last week with the bike (doing intervals) and with my run (on the treadmill pushing the speed and adding hills. Plus, I now have a running partner. He pushes me harder.) I ran 1/2 mile! I don't know if I have ever ran that far since being an adult.
For swimming:
200 yd warm up
I am doing mostly back stroke. I need to look up good work out for the hamstrings. My swim coach said to make sure I am building my legs evenly. She didn't and had an injury which kept her from her triathlon. I am not sure if the back stroke gets the hamstrings but I felt like changing it up.

200 yd kick set
4x25yd 1 minute (so for those of you that were like me this means swim with a kick board starting at 60 seconds on the clock as fast as you can one length of the pool(25yd) then wait for the clock to get back to the 60 then swim back. Wait until the clock hits 60 seconds and keep going until you do 4 of these). I did half on my stomach and the other half on my side. My side is really slow.

300yd freestyle
6x50yd (swim 25yd freestyle touch with one hand and kick off the end and keep going for a total of 50 yd) wait until the time goes all the way around to 60 again. Then go again until you have done 6 laps.

100 yd cool down
So I am now learning to get over the mental of swimming 50 yd. This is to help my speed and endurance.

I have a question to all of you. When we are doing workout after workout day after day(I do have a rest day) I am finding that I am running out of umpf. I am jogging/walking and can't jog anymore or I can't jog any faster or any longer amount of time. I am on the bike and I am having a hard time maintaining a cadence of 70. In the pool I am struggling with the second 25yd in a 50 yd set. My question is this an energy issue? Is this a fatigue thing or is this my body just plain old fighting back from what I am putting it through. I am telling my body especially my legs out loud to keep on going. My legs are fighting back. I am not in pain. I am not really sore. I think at the end of the day I know that my muscles have worked. I am watching my food and eating more. Carbs before and protein after. I am drinking my water all the time. I am getting my sleep. I am just curious if anyone else is fighting this. How are you getting through?

When I see the distances everyone else is doing I am inspired.

I swam 800yd today then took the dog out for my run. That was helter skelter. She is a sight hound, border collie mixed with a whippet. She can run fast. After the first mile she settled into the run. We were running and she was happily going at 7.8 pace. I think I might run with her again when I can run her 1 mile first to get her settled down. She was so happy for her run.

2015-03-04 4:01 PM

User image

I'm glad that this forum is helping to inspire you as well. I'm glad you will have some breathing room soon.

2015-03-05 4:06 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Hi Fellow Turtles! I've been pretty absent this week - it has been a completely insane week at work, full of 16 hour days and little sleep. Fortunately this was supposed to be my "light week" on my training plan, as this has really been a light training week. Things are winding down a little bit now, so I am going to head to the gym for a run now and try to get back on track with training. Hoping I can turn this trend around, but I am just so exhausted. I know a run will make me feel better though.

Hope you all are training well!
2015-03-06 12:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder

Second Friday I've managed to drag myself out of bed at 05:15 to be at the pool at 06:00. The first 30 minutes after waking up are horrible. "Am I really going to the pool now? My body feels like a zombie!". But somehow, a habit is allready starting to form, and it's just a little bit easier than it was last time. When I'm finally in the pool, there is no looking back. And now todays training is allready finished. Fantastic!

Todays program : 200m warmup, 10x100m moderate crawl, 10x50 (Alternating 50 fast crawl, 50 calm breat). 100s are going ok now, plan to up it to 150s next session. 

I'm still pondering how to fit in cycling also into this equation with two swims and three runs allready in a week. But to quote Arnold Schwarzenegger : "The President has got time to excercise, the Pope manages to train, then you can find the time to get fit!".

Edited by Gnoory 2015-03-06 12:54 AM
2015-03-06 7:28 AM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Espen, that is great! I am up at 530 but to go to work. It feels great when the workout is done early. Way to go making a routine.
2015-03-06 7:40 AM
in reply to: #5098417

User image

I'm excited. I signed up for a triathlon camp for Saturday. We will meet bike on a compu-trainer system that measures all kinds of things, then talk. Then go for a run. Have lunch, go for a swim and they will film above and in the water. Then we get to see it and discuss it then get back in the pool and work on fixing techniques. It will be a long day 9-530, I have never trained all of it on one day this should prove to be insightful. I think I will do a lighter training today to be ready for tomorrow.

My husband thinks my lack of umpf in my workouts is food related. I am taking a harder look at that. I think we nutrition as well as transitions at this camp.
2015-03-06 1:20 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Wow, so I signed up for my first race. And it turns out they changed the date of it so it's not 12 weeks away but 9. So May 10th (an indoor 250 y swim, 9.3 bike and 3 mile run) OH MY GOSH! So i'm panicking. I'm jumping onto a 12 week training plan now and am getting back into the groove again. the weather and my mom staying with me (and the wine intake- I can't let her drink alone!) has limited my workouts but she's heading home on tuesday so I'm jumping back on the train!

So i just wanted to pop in and say hi. i'm impressed by so many of you! I love how people are really just GOING for it. awesome!

2015-03-06 1:29 PM
in reply to: #5098420

User image

Ok Wow Coleen,
You got this! Get back in the swing if things and you should be good. How exciting though.
Nicole
2015-03-06 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
It's FRIDAY

So I have 2 rides and 2 runs so far this week. Now if I can get one of each this weekend I will hit my goal for week 1 (albeit a little short on time and distance goals)
2015-03-06 4:38 PM

User image

Will be interested in hearing how your camp tomorrow goes!

Proper fueling is important (now what that is I couldn't tell you!!! ). When our daughter was swimming I'd remind her of that since she'd try to cut calories like some teenagers do. It'd affect her performance. When she did eat properly she was more successful in her events (and yes, Dad could say ...."I told you so"..... ) I recall one club meet she swam in one weekend; I forget how many events she was in but one was an IM. As soon as the meet was finished we headed to a nearby Cracker Barrel.....she consumed one of those big breakfasts with eggs, pancakes and such in record time then proceeded to help me with mine!! I remind her of that even today.

So, good fueling is something we all need to keep in mind.....Perhaps some of the Turtles will have some good advice!
2015-03-06 4:39 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188

Wow, so I signed up for my first race. And it turns out they changed the date of it so it's not 12 weeks away but 9. So May 10th (an indoor 250 y swim, 9.3 bike and 3 mile run) OH MY GOSH! So i'm panicking. I'm jumping onto a 12 week training plan now and am getting back into the groove again. the weather and my mom staying with me (and the wine intake- I can't let her drink alone!) has limited my workouts but she's heading home on tuesday so I'm jumping back on the train!

So i just wanted to pop in and say hi. i'm impressed by so many of you! I love how people are really just GOING for it. awesome!

You can do it!!!!
2015-03-06 4:40 PM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

It's FRIDAY

So I have 2 rides and 2 runs so far this week. Now if I can get one of each this weekend I will hit my goal for week 1 (albeit a little short on time and distance goals)

Successful week!!! Congrats!!!

2015-03-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

, Tennessee
Colleen,

I am right there with you on the WINE intake. Started a new position at work this week... Left a clock in position for a salaried job. Suzie, you will relate to leaving a clock in position for a salaried position of ICU Director. OMG! I was prepared for a challenge, but I haven't even worked out ths week. Going from 30 hours a week to 60!!!! I will get back on track next week, but back to that wine intake... Colleen, I can't let you and your mom drink alone!
2015-03-06 8:37 PM

User image

Will be interested in hearing how your camp tomorrow goes!

Proper fueling is important (now what that is I couldn't tell you!!! ). When our daughter was swimming I'd remind her of that since she'd try to cut calories like some teenagers do. It'd affect her performance. When she did eat properly she was more successful in her events (and yes, Dad could say ...."I told you so"..... ) I recall one club meet she swam in one weekend; I forget how many events she was in but one was an IM. As soon as the meet was finished we headed to a nearby Cracker Barrel.....she consumed one of those big breakfasts with eggs, pancakes and such in record time then proceeded to help me with mine!! I remind her of that even today.

So, good fueling is something we all need to keep in mind.....Perhaps some of the Turtles will have some good advice!

Thanks Bill.
I have been eating more carbs. I had a good hardy dinner and plan to have a solid breakfast with carbs and protein a good hour before I meet up. We will have a hard but fun bike ride I was told. I am packing all kinds of snacks just in case. I should not need them all but just in case.

I did 600 yd in the pool and got some good advice from the youth Swim coach. He was a positive and encouraging to talk to. Then stretched it out. It is so different for me to workout in the late afternoon or evening vs the morning(8 am). That is when I will be working out once summer is here so I better get used to it.

I finally got new shoes. I was waiting for my ones that I ordered and long story short I went somewhere else. I got Brooks Adrenaline. I am starting to get a fuchsia color scheme going in my shoes and a cycling kit I love the bright colors that are in the outfits. That is not normally me but I love it. I read somewhere that triathletes are the ones that wear the bright colors. I am setting out all my gear out on towel like it was a transition so I don't forget to pack anything. Can you tell I am like a kid?
Nicole
41 F Newbie in SC Week 6 of training
Aug 23 Greenville Sprint Triathlon
Sweat is fat crying
2015-03-06 8:41 PM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

Originally posted by Gabby'smom

Colleen,

I am right there with you on the WINE intake. Started a new position at work this week... Left a clock in position for a salaried job. Suzie, you will relate to leaving a clock in position for a salaried position of ICU Director. OMG! I was prepared for a challenge, but I haven't even worked out ths week. Going from 30 hours a week to 60!!!! I will get back on track next week, but back to that wine intake... Colleen, I can't let you and your mom drink alone!

Wow Michelle that is a steep change in schedule. Hang in there. Have my drink. Cheers.

Nicole
41, SC, Newbie
2015-03-06 11:21 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Originally posted by nekomidori

• I got Brooks Adrenaline. I am starting to get a fuchsia color scheme going in my shoes and a cycling kit I love the bright colors that are in the outfits. That is not normally me but I love it. I read somewhere that triathletes are the ones that wear the bright colors. I am setting out all my gear out on towel like it was a transition so I don't forget to pack anything. Can you tell I am like a kid?
  • Nicole
    41 F Newbie in SC Week 6 of training
    Aug 23 Greenville Sprint Triathlon
    Sweat is fat crying

Have fun with the Brooks, I had to change to them and have put hundreds of miles on various pairs over the years.

I love you laying out everything like your transition area. Great practice

and the Sweat is fat crying
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
    Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 8, 2008
    author : pjwalzphd
    comments : 2
    When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
    author : scubachic9999
    comments : 4
    Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
    date : October 30, 2005
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
    author : jhealy422
    For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
    date : August 29, 2004
    author : Ron
    Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
    This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
    This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.