BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-05-18 2:44 PM
in reply to: nekomidori

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED
Hello Everyone,
I have also been a bit MIA lately. I got in a swim today and finally finally met with my swim coach. She said today was the fastest I have swam so far. It might have something to do with fresh legs. My hip is feeling good but I have been dealing with dizziness. My chiropractor thinks it has to do with my head alignment. My swim coach says it might be vertigo with some the water I have in my ears. Either way, I have a reguar dr appointment tomorrow. I figure I never really got checked out before starting triathlons and figured I probably should just to be safe.

I no longer have break in my day to do workouts so I am back to the drawing board to get a new workout routine in. This is good because I have been a bit faulty in my workouts lately. I am trying to not feel guilty about and just do more. The heat here is already starting to slow me down. I wasn't thinking about that.

I am thinking long and hard about the race I was going to do in July. It has a lot of hills. It is at the base of a mountain for 16.5 miles. I need to make the decision to do it or find something else. Then go with it. It is now 7 weeks away.

I hope everyone else is doing better with their trainings than me.

2015-05-18 11:55 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Suzie what an impressive weekend. That jersey is great, I've seen a ton of jerseys but can honestly say I've never seen that one shopping or on any of my rides I like to find and wear ones like that that no one else has.

Todd,

I love fun Jersey's! Check out Brainstormgear.com they have some great fun ones! A little pricey but well worth it in the Fun category
2015-05-19 12:04 AM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by nekomidori

Hello Everyone,
I have also been a bit MIA lately. I got in a swim today and finally finally met with my swim coach. She said today was the fastest I have swam so far. It might have something to do with fresh legs. My hip is feeling good but I have been dealing with dizziness. My chiropractor thinks it has to do with my head alignment. My swim coach says it might be vertigo with some the water I have in my ears. Either way, I have a reguar dr appointment tomorrow. I figure I never really got checked out before starting triathlons and figured I probably should just to be safe.

I no longer have break in my day to do workouts so I am back to the drawing board to get a new workout routine in. This is good because I have been a bit faulty in my workouts lately. I am trying to not feel guilty about and just do more. The heat here is already starting to slow me down. I wasn't thinking about that.

I am thinking long and hard about the race I was going to do in July. It has a lot of hills. It is at the base of a mountain for 16.5 miles. I need to make the decision to do it or find something else. Then go with it. It is now 7 weeks away.

Great Job on your swim! I dream of the day when my swim coach says to me that I've gotten faster The weather here has also gotten a lot hotter and the humidity has already proven to be a challenge. Ran 4miles before I went to work today @ 11am and it was awful!! I am going to have to rethink my workout schedule. I am not one to carry water while running but if it keeps up like this, I just might, even if it is to just pour over my head to cool me off
2015-05-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

, Connecticut
Hi all. I'm having trouble getting back on the wagon. It's been two weeks since my try and I've run a few times. I'm planning on doing another on July 16 and then another on August 30 but I just can't get motivated. Hopefully after memorial day weekend I can get serious about things again.
2015-05-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188

Hi all. I'm having trouble getting back on the wagon. It's been two weeks since my try and I've run a few times. I'm planning on doing another on July 16 and then another on August 30 but I just can't get motivated. Hopefully after memorial day weekend I can get serious about things again.

I hear ya on getting back into the swing of things!! Haven't been in the pool since the race; only a couple of walks and one ride. Most of last week was spent on the painting project we were helping with. Put some long hours in on that!! Now back home and will head to the gym here in about an hour for an easy lifting session then back into the pool tomorrow. I'm anxious to see how a swim feels since it's been 10+days since the race.

My swim "coach"/"mentor" has suggested a new goal for me now that I've done the 2 sprints....he's thrown out the idea of a long open water swim next year (1.2 miles or 2.4 miles)... ....We're gonna talk about it over lunch sometime soon. I'm not sure about that one just yet and my wife thinks I'd be crazy to "tri"......

Regardless, there's a sprint in September at the University of Illinois.....right now I'm planning on doing that one; same the ride is pretty much on the same course as the 1/2 Marathons I ran over there in 2011 and 2012.

Enjoy the Memorial Day Holiday...I'm sure you'll get back in the training mode!!!
2015-05-19 4:07 PM

User image

You hang in there!! Do the best you can.....I certainly understand about the heat. Grew up in Alabama so I know how tough the heat and humidity can be down there.

2015-05-19 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by allan_c

Hi Everyone,
I am just trying to take it one day at a time.

Catherine, even with your job obligations it looks like you've still been very active with training and racing with the kids!! Outstanding

I think your last sentence said it best!!!!! "one day at a time"!!!

Best to you!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-05-19 4:13 PM
2015-05-19 4:14 PM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Suzie.....great pic of the "Nerds" Jersey!!!!!!
2015-05-20 4:22 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
What a lazy week or 10 days or so. Hoping to have my bike finished so I can ride it this weekend. I am seriously doubting doing a sprint in July - 8 weeks out, no time in the water swimming, sporadic running and riding.
2015-05-21 10:09 AM
in reply to: peto_primo

User image

Originally posted by peto_primo

What a lazy week or 10 days or so. Hoping to have my bike finished so I can ride it this weekend. I am seriously doubting doing a sprint in July - 8 weeks out, no time in the water swimming, sporadic running and riding.

Hang in there!!!!
2015-05-21 7:15 PM

User image

I guess it must be afer tri blues or something. This is horrible to say, but I'm glad to know it is not just me having a hard time getting back on track. I went to the dr. and he said to rest my legs. No running, which I haven't been doing anyways. Luckily, I don't have veritgo like my swim coach was thinking and no swimmers ear either yeah!! Back to the chiropractor for an adjustment and he said it is my alignment is out with how I am riding and swimming which is throwing everything out of wack. I guess my body is starting to catch up to what I have been putting it through. I think I am going to do 2 swims a week and 2 -3 rides in plus weights and yoga. That would be more than I am doing now. I feel bad that I am not doing more. I miss the way I feel after I train. I am going to put my boys to bed and get on the trainer and see what I can do. I am shooting for 10 miles. I am starting a plank challenge as well to strengthen my core. I just need to stick to it.

One day at a time definately.
Keep on going, slow and steady turtles, We can do this.
Nicole

2015-05-21 9:18 PM

User image

I kept going. I got on the bike and went for an hour. I wanted to stop and get off but knew I needed to get over it. I feel good that I pushed myself. I can start to see some strong muscles on quads. My new goal is a strong me. I just need a path to get there. Keep my head down and keep training.
Have a good night.
Nicole
2015-05-22 11:06 AM

User image

I kept going. I got on the bike and went for an hour. I wanted to stop and get off but knew I needed to get over it. I feel good that I pushed myself. I can start to see some strong muscles on quads. My new goal is a strong me. I just need a path to get there. Keep my head down and keep training.
Have a good night.
Nicole

Good for you!!!!
2015-05-23 2:02 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Wow, Bill, I love that you and your coach have lunch to discuss races! Are there beers involved? Vodka? If so, I think I need a 'coach'!

Good job Nicole! But listen to your body and your doctor, if something is wacky with your body, address it! This is just for kicks! don't hurt yourself!

I had a heart to heart (read: day at the spa) with myself yesterday and realized I run better when I'm biking too! So today I ran and biked, hoping to kick start my motivation and I think it worked!! There is a lot of beer, burgers and cookies (darn buy one get one free!) in our house so I'm doing what I can. I derail myself with alcohol and junk, then I run/bike badly and then kick myself for derailing myself.

I hit some golf balls this week for the first time all season- WHOO HEEE I was sore after! Yikes!

And I need to find a new place to swim, my pool is closed for renovations!

next sprints are 7/16 and 8/30.

happy memorial day!
2015-05-24 5:44 AM

User image

Yesterday I did my first work-out with a local triathlon team. This is a beginner friendly team that will accept anyone and has a "no drop" ride policy. Good thing they have that policy, as I am definitely the slowest rider a round! Yesterday we did an 18 mile bike, which was absolutely beautiful but quite hilly. I have primarily biking on a local rail trail to date (since it's easy to get to from my house), so the hills were definitely something new for me. I made it through, though it wasn't pretty! It was quite cold here - 45 degrees or so - and my hands got so cold they ceased functioning. I literally couldn't shift for the last 5 miles. I was in a very low gear, so I just spun at about 300 rpm down all those hills crazy! At the end of it I felt good though, and it was definitely motivating. We were supposed to swim, but they cancelled the swim due to the very cold air temps. Phew!
2015-05-25 12:15 PM
in reply to: #5117405

User image

, Connecticut
Sounds like a great group you found catherine! Congrats on. Great ride!

2015-05-26 7:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Smiley9188

Wow, Bill, I love that you and your coach have lunch to discuss races! Are there beers involved? Vodka? If so, I think I need a 'coach'!

Good job Nicole! But listen to your body and your doctor, if something is wacky with your body, address it! This is just for kicks! don't hurt yourself!

I had a heart to heart (read: day at the spa) with myself yesterday and realized I run better when I'm biking too! So today I ran and biked, hoping to kick start my motivation and I think it worked!! There is a lot of beer, burgers and cookies (darn buy one get one free!) in our house so I'm doing what I can. I derail myself with alcohol and junk, then I run/bike badly and then kick myself for derailing myself.

I hit some golf balls this week for the first time all season- WHOO HEEE I was sore after! Yikes!

And I need to find a new place to swim, my pool is closed for renovations!

next sprints are 7/16 and 8/30.

happy memorial day!

Beers with race planning with my "coach"??? Why of course!!!!

You have Sprints in July and August??.......cool!!!

Edited by 2NewKnees 2015-05-26 7:52 AM
2015-05-26 7:51 AM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Originally posted by allan_c

Yesterday I did my first work-out with a local triathlon team. This is a beginner friendly team that will accept anyone and has a "no drop" ride policy. Good thing they have that policy, as I am definitely the slowest rider a round! Yesterday we did an 18 mile bike, which was absolutely beautiful but quite hilly. I have primarily biking on a local rail trail to date (since it's easy to get to from my house), so the hills were definitely something new for me. I made it through, though it wasn't pretty! It was quite cold here - 45 degrees or so - and my hands got so cold they ceased functioning. I literally couldn't shift for the last 5 miles. I was in a very low gear, so I just spun at about 300 rpm down all those hills crazy! At the end of it I felt good though, and it was definitely motivating. We were supposed to swim, but they cancelled the swim due to the very cold air temps. Phew!

Connecting with the local triathlon team is a fantastic idea!! Local one here is very receptive; one of my former co-workers has been a "coach" for newbie Tri folks; he's done countless Triathlons; I do tap into his knowledge from time to time. The local club has an event on 6/6; while I won't participate, I'll go and watch to see how it goes; open water swim in this event.....

Crazy weather....hopefully it's warmed up for your upcoming rides!! Rain here today will impact my outdoor training; have been inconsistent since my sprint back on the 9th; goal is to be more consistent now that the holiday and other activities are behind us.

Best of luck with your continued training!!
2015-05-26 1:33 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Got to spin class again today and ran for only 5 minutes after. But I need to start somewhere again. I've been running 2 x a week since my tri I've slacked with eveything else and added about 7 lbs to my frame - not good. Ugh. So back to training again. Hope I can stick with it
2015-05-26 7:42 PM

User image

Managed a good walk today; rained last half mile; pretty wet by the time I finished. Weight lifting session late this afternoon; first time back in gym in a week for that. Will get a session in the pool tomorrow morning.
2015-05-27 7:55 AM

User image

Colleen,
Spin class plus run sounds like you are back on the road to triathlon.

I wasn't able to get in my scheduled swim yesterday (I just couldn't get out of work on time), but this AM I did a mini-brick work-out with a 9 mile bike and 1.4 mile run before work. Now I am full of energy for the day, which is a good thing as I am on for a 24 hour shift. Tomorrow's plan is a post-nap swim and run. I'm trying to get ready for a tri in just under three weeks. The open water swim is still making it a bit iffy in my mind, but I'll make the call at the last minute.

Have a great day everyone!
Catherine

2015-05-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5118198

User image

Catherine it sounds like you found a great group. I don't think our is a no drop group of cyclists. At least not from my husband says.

I'm feeling good. I got in a great ride with my husband over the weekend. It was supposed to be 15 miles but I felt good so we kept going. I had to move faster to keep up but I did ok. It was a slower ride for him but cool to share the ride with him. We did 20 miles. I got in a strength session and a yoga the next day. My body really felt the squats and lunges. Both are my least favorite but I got them done. My hips are going good and the dizziness is gone. I wanted to swim last night but we had severe weather come through. I ended up getting in some more strength training. What a difference it makes by changing up a training sessions. I was able to get in a cardio session this morning. I have a late day today and hope to get in a swim.
I'm feeling good getting workouts in again.
Nicole
2015-05-27 9:42 PM

User image

Go Nicole! Sounds like you are on a roll!

The Tri Team I worked out with last weekend has a gruesome run session planned for this weekend...20 minute warm up on ramps and stairs followed by strides and hill sprints then hill repeats. I am not sure what all these things mean...I just see hills, hills, hills...and I know I will be walking half of it. I have to decide if I am too embarrassed to go or whether I should suck it up, knowing that even if I do as much of it as I am capable of I will be gaining strength.

Should I go for it?

Catherine
2015-05-28 7:15 AM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glad to see that most are still going strong at it. Right now I'm trying to survive these rains and flooding in Texas. I am going to start back at it on Monday for my Half Ironman distance at the end of September.
2015-05-28 9:24 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Glad to see that most are still going strong at it. Right now I'm trying to survive these rains and flooding in Texas. I am going to start back at it on Monday for my Half Ironman distance at the end of September.

Best of luck dealing with those challenging rains/flooding there in Texas! Some very serious results from all the rain. Saw some news of the areas around Austin and how it impacted the downtown area. We lived on the north end of the city during our short time in Austin. Names and places of the areas affected are familiar. You'll be back up to speed in no time on your training schedule!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1058 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.