Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-03-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Decided that based on the run yesterday I would see what my HR zones looked like compared to what I'm currently using - turns out they are exactly the same (based on the LT calculator on this site).  I set my original zones in 2008, and nearly 7 years later they haven't shifted.  Not sure if that is a good, bad, or totally normal expectation.  Difference is when I did that test I was only a year into training and my run was about 1:45 slower.

2015-03-19 10:14 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Speaking of hilly runs, I'm doing this in August:

It's "only" 12.8 miles :-)
2015-03-19 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Decided that based on the run yesterday I would see what my HR zones looked like compared to what I'm currently using - turns out they are exactly the same (based on the LT calculator on this site).  I set my original zones in 2008, and nearly 7 years later they haven't shifted.  Not sure if that is a good, bad, or totally normal expectation.  Difference is when I did that test I was only a year into training and my run was about 1:45 slower.

IMO That sounds about normal : as you go from a beginner to being more fit, I think your LTHR goes up a bit. But as you age, I think it comes down. So it stays about the same and then comes down slightly with age. My thresholds are slowly starting to tick down but I am much older.
2015-03-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Swim test in the books.  200M - 3:19, 400M - 6:51.  Pretty close to what I was expecting, but I did catch a draft for about 3 lengths as I caught someone in my lane during the 400M, so that likely helped a touch.  Last year the best I managed for a timed 300M was 5:00 even, and I came into the wall at about 5:05 during the 400M, so I wasn't too far off.  The swim is still my achilles heel, and I go through bouts of improvement and regression - lately it's been regression as I fight the water.  The last couple of swims I have been trying to reach as I rolled, trying to almost push myself ahead a little and keep the momentum from one stroke to the next.  I remain tortured by the water.

2015-03-19 12:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

And it's only one climb.

But seriously, not bumpy but BUMP

2015-03-19 1:44 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

And it's only one climb.

But seriously, not bumpy but BUMP

Doesn't look that bad...I mean most of the chart is colored green so it can't be that steep.  

2015-03-19 4:30 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

"Green is good!"

2015-03-19 5:52 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Not exactly SBR related... but...

I had an initial phone interview with SRAM yesterday

2015-03-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

very cool !! Great company

Ask them when they plan to release their wireless stuff :-)
2015-03-19 6:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

very cool !! Great company Ask them when they plan to release their wireless stuff :-)

Friends and Family discounts!!!!!!   

2015-03-19 7:36 PM

Master
, California

So I just chatted with someone I knew in high school who's coaching a local USA water polo masters team.  Looks like I might have an incentive to swim more   I love triathlon but there are times I really miss team sports.  So I'm going to do some drop-ins with them and get playing again.

2015-03-20 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
When I start to feel like I'm "fighting the water", I find it helps to slow down and do some form work, either just pulling or swimming, then do some sets where I build by 25 (for 100's), 50 (200's), or 100m (400's). The first 1/4 is slow, just focused on smooth stroke and form; the second is comfortable, like what I would do an OWS workout where I just wanted to get used to conditions or wearing a wetsuit; the third moderately fast (maybe Oly or sprint swim pace), the last hard (below sprint tri pace). The idea is to try to hold the smooth form as pace increases.

I've been swimming since infancy, but still have days when I feel like I'm just not going anywhere, and my pace varies from days where 1:33/100m isn't that hard to days when I'm struggling to hit 1:40/100m. As an extreme example I remember a week in December where in one workout I was struggling to hit 1:40's for 100m repeats, and then a few days later I did a 3000m time trial at 1:41-1:42 pace, and kept it up for another 500+ meters (hour swim challenge). The time trial actually felt easier. ????????? At times it's asthma-related (when the pool isn't well-ventilated if fans are off or no breeze); at others I really have no idea why, but my coordination just feels off--maybe fatigue from other workouts or the workday.
2015-03-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

"Green is good!"

I thought green meant go? 

2015-03-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by spudone

So I just chatted with someone I knew in high school who's coaching a local USA water polo masters team.  Looks like I might have an incentive to swim more   I love triathlon but there are times I really miss team sports.  So I'm going to do some drop-ins with them and get playing again.

Very cool! 

2015-03-20 11:56 AM

User image

Played in hi school and 1 year NCAA Div. 1.  I'd love to get involved in a pickup water polo game.  Only time I've ever broken bones in the water, LOL

2015-03-20 2:52 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ChrisM

Played in hi school and 1 year NCAA Div. 1.  I'd love to get involved in a pickup water polo game.  Only time I've ever broken bones in the water, LOL

Tournaments get a little rough but I don't worry about it in practice much.  These guys also scrimmage against the local high school team (aka the fish vs. the old cheaters).  Should be fun

2015-03-22 4:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not really a reply to anything, but thought I'd report I finally did an outdoor training ride on my new tri bike (Cervelo P2). (Yes, I've had it since just before Christmas and never ridden it outside, except to the bike shop twice, and a bit to test saddles when I did the fitting!) I was very cautious getting to/from the industrial park where I do most of my long outdoor rides, as traffic is heavy and I've heard lots of horror stories from other riders about riding tri bikes in traffic. Anyway, rather than load it into a taxi, (which I seriously considered), lowered the seat and wore running shoes (racing flats so light as possible) for the 5 km ride to/from the park; once in the park, raised the seat and put on my bike shoes. Even though carrying ones's shoes and wrench on one's back isn't the ideal aero situation, it is SO much easier to ride at a steady pace in the very windy conditions that prevail almost all the time in the park. (My tri buddies and I have started calling the place "Kona"!) Instead of slowing to 21-22 kph every time I hit the headwind, I can now hold 26-27 in all but the worst gusts. Easily 2-3 kph faster on average (sorry--my computer is set on km) at the same effort/heart rate than the road bike. I guess my poor old Trek 1.2 is just not very aero, or at least I'm not nearly as aero on it.

Also happy that I had zero issues with comfort on a 3:22 ride--no problems with saddle, neck, back, etc. I did feel like screaming in terror when I first went down into aero on the road (it's a more aggressive position than my road bike), but after about 5 km felt fine. I guess I should count my blessings that despite my meager talents for the bike leg, I do have a flexible upper body that easily "folds" into aero position!

Still debating if I should do my remaining long rides on the Cervelo given the risks to bike and body, or maybe do every other week or something. I know it probably sounds crazy to people in developed countries but if you saw our traffic..... Would riding the less aero road bike build strength or I am I better served just training on what I'll race on (given that all my trainer rides are on the tri bike)?

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-22 4:18 AM
2015-03-22 5:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner
Still debating if I should do my remaining long rides on the Cervelo given the risks to bike and body, or maybe do every other week or something. I know it probably sounds crazy to people in developed countries but if you saw our traffic..... Would riding the less aero road bike build strength or I am I better served just training on what I'll race on (given that all my trainer rides are on the tri bike)?

for me, it's pretty simple

Riding in aero is more dangerous. You can't steer as quickly, you can't brake as quickly.....so if there is danger you should not be riding in aero

If you aren't in aero, a road bike is actually better than a tri bike from a position point of view. Jordan wrote an article on it
http://blog.rappstar.com/2014/04/why-triathletes-need-road-bike.htm...

So for me, if I can't ride a significant portion of a long ride continuously in aero, take the road bike.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-22 5:42 AM
2015-03-22 6:44 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm in aero on both bikes, but only in the industrial park. I can ride in aero with very minimal risk from vehicles or irregular pavement for about 80% of each loop of the industrial park. It is closed to outside traffic, so outside of shift changes (which I schedule my rides to avoid) there's normally only the occasional guard on a motorbike. I've been riding there for years, so I know the couple of places where the pavement is a bit irregular or there is the potential for someone to pull out, and I always get out of aero there just in case. I NEVER ride in aero on a regular Vietnamese road, unless traffic's stopped for a race, on any bike, always sit up, unclipped, with my seat low enough that I can easily step down/dismount. The road bike is definitely more comfortable for actual riding on the road in that position, but I feel like the tri bike does handle pretty well.

I'm just wondering if it's best from a training perspective to be riding the tri bike on long rides, since that's what I'll be racing on, and I do need to be able to handle it safely outside in a race situation. Or take the road bike, since it really makes me work to get anywhere (even in aero), and is probably marginally safer due to slightly better handling on the road and a less aggressive aero position in the park, and just do a few sessions with the tri bike closer to race week. Up to now I have been doing a sort of compromise, with the first hour or so on the trainer with the tri bike, and the remainder outside on the roadie. (That's also so I can finish my ride/brick run before it gets dangerously hot but avoid the shift change between 6:30 and 7 AM, and to cut a bit of the tedium of riding the same 4-mile loop solo for 3+ hours!)

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-22 7:05 AM
2015-03-22 7:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I'm in aero on both bikes, but only in the industrial park. I can ride in aero with very minimal risk from vehicles or irregular pavement for about 80% of each loop of the industrial park. It is closed to outside traffic, so outside of shift changes (which I schedule my rides to avoid) there's normally only the occasional guard on a motorbike. I've been riding there for years, so I know the couple of places where the pavement is a bit irregular or there is the potential for someone to pull out, and I always get out of aero there just in case. I NEVER ride in aero on a regular Vietnamese road, unless traffic's stopped for a race, on any bike, always sit up, unclipped, with my seat low enough that I can easily step down/dismount. The road bike is definitely more comfortable for actual riding on the road in that position, but I feel like the tri bike does handle pretty well.

I'm just wondering if it's best from a training perspective to be riding the tri bike on long rides, since that's what I'll be racing on, and I do need to be able to handle it safely outside in a race situation. Or take the road bike, since it really makes me work to get anywhere (even in aero), and is probably marginally safer due to slightly better handling on the road and a less aggressive aero position in the park, and just do a few sessions with the tri bike closer to race week. Up to now I have been doing a sort of compromise, with the first hour or so on the trainer with the tri bike, and the remainder outside on the roadie. (That's also so I can finish my ride/brick run before it gets dangerously hot but avoid the shift change between 6:30 and 7 AM, and to cut a bit of the tedium of riding the same 4-mile loop solo for 3+ hours!)

Me, 6 weeks before a race, I would be as much as possible on the tri bike, in aero, safety permitting

I also find 1hr in aero is very different than 3hrs. I start to feel the aches and pains around 2 hours.

2015-03-22 10:40 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Marc, you had made comments in the past about the number of longer 2.5+ rides you like to see for an HIM.  I remember that number was some where around 10-12 rides, is that right?  I'm targetting an early June HIM but so far no outdoor rides - not good.

2015-03-22 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Marc, you had made comments in the past about the number of longer 2.5+ rides you like to see for an HIM.  I remember that number was some where around 10-12 rides, is that right?  I'm targetting an early June HIM but so far no outdoor rides - not good.

Last 2 years I have been trying more for 3 and even 4 hour rides in the last 8 week block, with some harder intervals mixed in there. But It's hard to do with this winter. I have found, for me, 2.5h is too short to really test if my power is where it should be.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-22 11:41 AM
2015-03-22 1:04 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm in aero on both bikes, but only in the industrial park. I can ride in aero with very minimal risk from vehicles or irregular pavement for about 80% of each loop of the industrial park. It is closed to outside traffic, so outside of shift changes (which I schedule my rides to avoid) there's normally only the occasional guard on a motorbike. I've been riding there for years, so I know the couple of places where the pavement is a bit irregular or there is the potential for someone to pull out, and I always get out of aero there just in case. I NEVER ride in aero on a regular Vietnamese road, unless traffic's stopped for a race, on any bike, always sit up, unclipped, with my seat low enough that I can easily step down/dismount. The road bike is definitely more comfortable for actual riding on the road in that position, but I feel like the tri bike does handle pretty well. I'm just wondering if it's best from a training perspective to be riding the tri bike on long rides, since that's what I'll be racing on, and I do need to be able to handle it safely outside in a race situation. Or take the road bike, since it really makes me work to get anywhere (even in aero), and is probably marginally safer due to slightly better handling on the road and a less aggressive aero position in the park, and just do a few sessions with the tri bike closer to race week. Up to now I have been doing a sort of compromise, with the first hour or so on the trainer with the tri bike, and the remainder outside on the roadie. (That's also so I can finish my ride/brick run before it gets dangerously hot but avoid the shift change between 6:30 and 7 AM, and to cut a bit of the tedium of riding the same 4-mile loop solo for 3+ hours!)
Me, 6 weeks before a race, I would be as much as possible on the tri bike, in aero, safety permitting I also find 1hr in aero is very different than 3hrs. I start to feel the aches and pains around 2 hours.

I'm the same way for riding aero.  If I don't put in some long rides before my race, the neck and back start to bother me after a couple hours.  I will say that my comfort level on a long ride is much better outside.  I don't think I'd make it to 3 hours on the indoor trainer if I tried.

2015-03-22 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Oddly, since the first few times I've ridden in aero, when my neck bothered me a bit, really haven't had any problem. On the trainer, I'm probably in aero 99 % of the time (unless I have to sit up to check on a cat or adjust the computer); outdoors, probably about 2 hours total out of a 2 1/2 hour road ride. I've done several 2:30 rides on the trainer as well. (That's about my limit for trainer riding.) There are three or four places on the park loop (a big bump, two places with irregular paving, and the exit gate from the port) where I have to briefly come out of aero so maybe that short break is enough. Then again, I don't train for full IM so that might be different.

My tri bike is actually not that comfortable to ride for long periods out of aero. Something about the bars makes me feel like it puts a lot of pressure on my hands. But no matter--I'll deal with it for the distance to/from the park! Riding in aero on an actual road here in traffic would be suicidal.
2015-03-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Sounding like a pretty good amount of time to me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).