Pro
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Oh, and I think I'm doomed for my marathon.

A Grand Canyon Rim to Rim hike exactly one week prior to the marathon is now happening. 

Not my best idea, but how often does an opportunity for an all expenses/logistics covered trip like that happen? Not often enough for me to say no. 

Are you in hiking shape? Or will you be by then? 

I don't think it will kill your marathon if so. I wouldn't say it's ideal but it's not  too crazy. 

I'm fine for hiking as long as I'm not carrying 35 lbs plus weapon plus water Even then, I'd be fine at least until the 12 mile mark.

I'm booking a massage... probably Tuesday, because Monday is a holiday.

If my marathon training were ideal at this point, I'd skip the hike. But it's not, and I think I'll be ok.

Just do it in a day

Wait 35 lb plus water? What are you carrying in there!?! 

Whatever I can find!

That's the Army standard. Used to be whatever gear I could fit.. then it just because some fluffy stuff and a strategically placed/secured kettlebell

This one, I'm carrying water, food, and a camera. 

We are doing it in a day... 5am start, estimated finish at 7:30pm. 

Oh, so you have to do it with the weight then?

Not this time, thankfully

2015-05-20 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Oh, and I think I'm doomed for my marathon.

A Grand Canyon Rim to Rim hike exactly one week prior to the marathon is now happening. 

Not my best idea, but how often does an opportunity for an all expenses/logistics covered trip like that happen? Not often enough for me to say no. 

Are you in hiking shape? Or will you be by then? 

I don't think it will kill your marathon if so. I wouldn't say it's ideal but it's not  too crazy. 

I'm fine for hiking as long as I'm not carrying 35 lbs plus weapon plus water Even then, I'd be fine at least until the 12 mile mark.

I'm booking a massage... probably Tuesday, because Monday is a holiday.

If my marathon training were ideal at this point, I'd skip the hike. But it's not, and I think I'll be ok.

Just do it in a day

Wait 35 lb plus water? What are you carrying in there!?! 

Whatever I can find!

That's the Army standard. Used to be whatever gear I could fit.. then it just because some fluffy stuff and a strategically placed/secured kettlebell

This one, I'm carrying water, food, and a camera. 

We are doing it in a day... 5am start, estimated finish at 7:30pm. 

Oh, so you have to do it with the weight then?

Not this time, thankfully

Ohhh, got it ok.

Yeah, the weight bearing part is the most difficult. Just covering that much ground is really not TOO taxing. And you have the benefit of the elevation gain being split into two. I'll bet you are pretty well recovered by marathon time.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-20 4:42 PM
2015-05-20 5:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by axteraa

Pretty happy with my swim this morning.  Main set was 20 x 100 with ~5s rest.  5 ez, 5 moderate, 8 T-pace and 2 fast.  Did the first 5 on 1:30 (1:22-1:23), next 5 on 1:25 (1:19s) then the last 10 on 1:20 (1:15-1:16 and the last 2 1:12s).  Ready to have a good swim at Alcatraz I think.

Not sure when I would have last done 10 x 100 on 1:20 like that.

Nice set!  Have to ask, meters?  

Pretty sure Canadian's don't know what a yard is...as most time's it's covered in snow.

Yup, meters.  Definitely too cold to swim in the yard here.    I did have a lake in my yard for a while during the melt! 

2015-05-20 5:05 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Pretty happy with my swim this morning.  Main set was 20 x 100 with ~5s rest.  5 ez, 5 moderate, 8 T-pace and 2 fast.  Did the first 5 on 1:30 (1:22-1:23), next 5 on 1:25 (1:19s) then the last 10 on 1:20 (1:15-1:16 and the last 2 1:12s).  Ready to have a good swim at Alcatraz I think.

Pretty sure Canadian's don't know what a yard is...as most time's it's covered in snow.

Ahha so he just skated on top of the frozen pool.  That makes more sense!

Sadly I don't know how to skate...

2015-05-20 5:09 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Wow, quickly read through the buying speed thread on TT. So, why the hell do you all have expensive bikes???

My beautiful bride bought me mine as a surprise and told me it was cheaper (and possibly a little safer) than a sports car.

One of these days soon I am going to go out and try to do a little aerolab testing on some equipment changes. That thread made me think it would be interesting to take my old TT bike and test it against my new one. I am quicker on the IA  than on my old, first-gen P2,  but that is likely attributed to all manner of things.

I don't know if you saw the post Andy F did on ST about our trip to the Velodrome. He broke down the time savings.

As far as the P2, Cervelo's top engineer told me I could get my P2 as fast as any of the superbikes with a few strategic changes, the aerobar being the biggest.

I am actually going to rebuild and paint my P2 one day. Just waiting for SRAM wireless.
2015-05-20 5:30 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No expensive bike here! (Well, relatively to others.) I trained raced for my first three years of tri on an $800 road bike. (Actually, I did my first two tris on a rental MTB, and trained on a gym stationary.) My P2 is secondhand, 2010 ( think). I think it's faster, but maybe it's all in my head and it's just better training. But I certainly put in a lot of training on the roadie with little result. Definitely more fun to ride. Never thought I'd be saying "bike" and "fun" in the same sentence, but this sport warps one's brain....

2015-05-20 7:33 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag 

I don't know if you saw the post Andy F did on ST about our trip to the Velodrome. He broke down the time savings. As far as the P2, Cervelo's top engineer told me I could get my P2 as fast as any of the superbikes with a few strategic changes, the aerobar being the biggest. I am actually going to rebuild and paint my P2 one day. Just waiting for SRAM wireless.

And I would believe that build could rival super bikes as well.  When I look at my P2, the cockpit and derailleur cables are the biggest issues I see.  Not that I have an expert aerodynamic eye or anything.  

What type of aerobars are you considering?  The new Tri Rig Alpha (while a bit pricey) looks pretty sweet.

Edited by Jason N 2015-05-20 7:33 PM
2015-05-20 10:19 PM
in reply to: #5079829

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Curious what you choose as well.

I love my P2 ($1,600 used a couple years ago - it's a 2009). Definitely faster than my Venge (at least with the 808/disc and an aero helmet - maaaaaybe not apples to apples!).

Only thing is that my current bars are as low as they'll go, and I'd like to drop another 1-2 cm. (and my stubby legs are getting no longer). Several new cockpits seem to have much more adjustability...

Still noodling a new bike, but I think the next one will more likely be a Cx bike than another TT bike as this one works pretty dang well for me.

Matt
2015-05-21 5:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't know if you saw the post Andy F did on ST about our trip to the Velodrome. He broke down the time savings. As far as the P2, Cervelo's top engineer told me I could get my P2 as fast as any of the superbikes with a few strategic changes, the aerobar being the biggest. I am actually going to rebuild and paint my P2 one day. Just waiting for SRAM wireless.

And I would believe that build could rival super bikes as well.  When I look at my P2, the cockpit and derailleur cables are the biggest issues I see.  Not that I have an expert aerodynamic eye or anything.  

What type of aerobars are you considering?  The new Tri Rig Alpha (while a bit pricey) looks pretty sweet.

Recommended by Damon
USE R1
Pro Missile Evo

Recommended by Andy
Zipp Vuka Stealth,
TriRig OmegaX
PRO EVO Missile bars

It's not just about the cables.
There are reasons you see TTers with the basebar at top tube height, the very aerodynamic risers to bring their pad to the right height and no tubular shapes.

Look at the junction between the extensions and the basebar. For example, on the profile design : caca apparently.

Now, we are splitting hairs in four. As I said in TT, get from a .36 to a .25 with the easy stuff and then get to a .21 with the expensive stuff.

We severly underestimate the aero cost of some items and we severaly overestimate the savings of others. The markething departments are really good at skewing out senses. So are some "experts". Best advice : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

Did you see the thread Andy did with my results ?

Edited by marcag 2015-05-21 5:22 AM
2015-05-21 6:06 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Recommended by Damon USE R1 Pro Missile Evo Recommended by Andy Zipp Vuka Stealth, TriRig OmegaX PRO EVO Missile bars It's not just about the cables. There are reasons you see TTers with the basebar at top tube height, the very aerodynamic risers to bring their pad to the right height and no tubular shapes. Look at the junction between the extensions and the basebar. For example, on the profile design : caca apparently. Now, we are splitting hairs in four. As I said in TT, get from a .36 to a .25 with the easy stuff and then get to a .21 with the expensive stuff. We severly underestimate the aero cost of some items and we severaly overestimate the savings of others. The markething departments are really good at skewing out senses. So are some "experts". Best advice : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOMDid you see the thread Andy did with my results ?

Not liking that caca comment! (although not surprising).

I read that thread on ST, always interesting stuff.  

2015-05-21 6:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not liking that caca comment! (although not surprising).

I own the caca as well and it was pointed out to me. But I think it's pretty marginal

Edited by marcag 2015-05-21 6:55 AM

2015-05-21 7:28 AM

Master
Northern IL

Recommended by Damon USE R1 Pro Missile Evo Recommended by Andy Zipp Vuka Stealth, TriRig OmegaX PRO EVO Missile bars It's not just about the cables. There are reasons you see TTers with the basebar at top tube height, the very aerodynamic risers to bring their pad to the right height and no tubular shapes. Look at the junction between the extensions and the basebar. For example, on the profile design : caca apparently. Now, we are splitting hairs in four. As I said in TT, get from a .36 to a .25 with the easy stuff and then get to a .21 with the expensive stuff. We severly underestimate the aero cost of some items and we severaly overestimate the savings of others. The markething departments are really good at skewing out senses. So are some "experts". Best advice : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOMDid you see the thread Andy did with my results ?

Think the bar selection for most is getting a lot better than a couple years ago when I was looking. I had trouble because I needed the pads all the way down on the base bar to make the fit. Think some of the ones listed may do that now too. I would have to get used to the pursuit position being higher up as the current base drops down significantly (PRO Missile Drop). Plus get used to the idea of the aero bars connecting underneath. right now they point directly into the base bar for a rather clean look in that regard. The wing area of the base bar is likely less areo than the newer ones, and is something I would have to get my head around.

2015-05-21 8:04 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa Not liking that caca comment! (although not surprising).
I own the caca as well and it was pointed out to me. But I think it's pretty marginal

What is this?

2015-05-21 8:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by axteraa Not liking that caca comment! (although not surprising).

What is this?

Profile Design aerobars

2015-05-21 8:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

What is this?

Profile Design aerobars

Is that shorthand? Was curious about it, but having trouble finding it.

2015-05-21 8:18 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

What is this?

Profile Design aerobars

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/caca

Maybe it's a french thing?

2015-05-21 8:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

What is this?

Profile Design aerobars

I'll just blame Canada in general.

2015-05-21 10:28 AM

Master
, California

What is this?

Profile Design aerobars

I'll just blame Canada in general.

Didn't his Canadian license get revoked when he admitted he couldn't skate (and thus, play hockey)?  Hmm...

2015-05-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Didn't his Canadian license get revoked when he admitted he couldn't skate (and thus, play hockey)?  Hmm...

No, we have come to accept that english canada can't play hockey
2015-05-21 12:07 PM

User image

Seattle

UMMMMMMMM?????

Between my avatar (and known prerace fuel) and well, college

I'm looking more Canadian than you!

2015-05-21 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

UMMMMMMMM?????

I really don't fit the mold.  I swim, I don't skate, I rarely watch hockey, I hate snow and most of all, I don't drink Tim Hortons coffee!

2015-05-21 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone Didn't his Canadian license get revoked when he admitted he couldn't skate (and thus, play hockey)?  Hmm...
No, we have come to accept that english canada can't play hockey

2015-05-21 12:48 PM

User image

Seattle

UMMMMMMMM?????

I really don't fit the mold.  I swim, I don't skate, I rarely watch hockey, I hate snow and most of all, I don't drink Tim Hortons coffee!

What about Timbits though? 

2015-05-21 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Timbits are ok if someone brings them to a meeting.

2015-05-21 3:08 PM

User image

Pro

Timbits are ok if someone brings them to a meeting.

Had to google that one. Munchkins. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).