of 97

2015-06-24 3:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by brigby1

Rusty, that's good to hear that some of the devices can do reasonably well for running too. What are you having to input for that and how up to date have had to be with it?

going back and picking up stuff I was missing while reading/responding on my phone - Ben, here is where DC Rainmaker describes the different ways Garmin devices determine caloric burn (interestingly enough he calls it "Cookie Allocation Metrics!): http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html It is an older post that has not been updated (except in the comments) and Garmin does not support the New Leaf protocol anymore as they have gone out of business. The 800 that I use for cycling can use both the FirstBeat algorithm (1st version) or power to calculate calorie burn. Somewhat frustratingly it uses FirstBeat as the default if you are wearing a HRM, and only uses power if you are not. The 810 and 1000 both default to the pwoermeter if it is present, no matter whether you are wearing a HRM or not. That is not a big concern to me, as Training Peaks ignores the HR info recorded if there is power data included and does its own calculation, which as you state is just a simple math conversion of power to calories. I actually like this method better as it only includes the added effort above your BMR. HR calculations don't separate that out (although DC Rainmaker describes his trick how to do so, but not sure how well that works). Since we are probably talking about a swing of a couple hundred calories it is not a big deal on short stuff, but could be on really long days.

My running computer (Garmin 620) uses the FirstBeat 2nd generation algorithm. it "learns" you over a few weeks and continues to adjust itself over time as you use it. Just to check it I have used it on rides along with my 800 and it actually seems to track really nicely (within a couple of percent) from what is reported by training peaks via the power data from the 800. So I assume it is doing a fairly good job when running as well. Having lab-tested my BMR I can use this data, with my workout data, and my caloric intake to move the needle on the scale in very, very predictable ways. FWIW for me 3000 calories is one pound.

*Edit - oops, forgot to include link.

Edited by TankBoy 2015-06-24 3:34 PM

2015-06-24 3:46 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by axteraa

So, Jason is climbing a volcano, Adrienne is running for 3 days straight, Rusty is doing a 42k TT with 1600 feet of climbing, Ben is burning 4500 cals in a ride..... You guys are all nuts - makes my 20k TT tomorrow evening with a couple hundred feet of elevation seem a bit tame.  

That hilly TT will be interesting to see. All the ups and downs really add something to the execution.

These words from Nicole's race report are ringing loudly in my brain:

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Confidence that I could actually hold my estimated FTP for an hour, and

Mental strength to allow myself to hurt that badly for an hour

But will it really be best to hold right at your FTP the whole time for this one? The breaks on the downhills should make this much easier to accomplish, right?

Oh, yeah - right! and if I set my Garmin to ignore zeros I should be able to increase my Ftp by 30~40 watts as well - ha-ha!

Seriously, I really could use some advice here. For a little guy I do seem to do better than most in being able to ride a relatively low VI on a lumpy course No special talent, just very good at watching power and capping effort on the ups, along with much-practiced use of the elevation look-ahead feature on the garmin 800. 

The TT is actually the bike leg in the Chattanooga Waterfront Oly Triathlon - I switched to a relay since I have only just got back to swimming and I am still not running. I am trying to get some recon, but for now I am not even sure I can warn up before hand - I know they will not let us take our bikes out of transition and they have told me there is no location to set up a trainer. Hotel is right across the street from transition, so if nothing else I will take my roadie and trainer and warm up there. I have rode the course once during the race, so am somewhat familiar.

2015-06-24 4:03 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

I think I see what he's trying to say, but still don't really agree with it. Just in the first paragraph, power and pace can also be used in the same manner to describe how a workout felt. They do move around more as fitness changes, but once they are anchored they still do much the same thing as HR can in that regard. Then later it seems that he goes with the assumption that because HR isn't really an output yet still is related that it must be an input. I mean, I do see the differences in all three, but not how power and pace can't also be used as a proxy for effort which seems to be his basis for saying HR is.

Oh, they absolutely all can be used, as we all do. I guess in some way I am just making an argument to really use HR and Power together (anytime you guys talk about using pace as a proxy for effort I think "D*mn, it must be flat where they live! [I do use pace exclusively in the pool and on the track though]) I just like using HR and power bracketed against each other as they are giving you good insight based on the variables they are incorporating. for instance: since the variables of angular force and speed (measured in RPM) are used to calculate power, on an ergometer you can also look at HR data to find the most efficient cadence to produce the most power on longer efforts, just as a simple example.

2015-06-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by cdban66

2 questions:

1) How bad was the humidity? 

2) If 103 is a "nice day", what is a hot day? I rode through the woods tonight in 90*/90% and was whipped by the end of the hour.

Chris - missed this too. You are spot-on, we are in the part of the summer where the humidity get fairly low (for here) after the dew rises. It was probably around 65%. Riding in the morning is cooler, but then the humidity (like this morning) is well over 90%. So you kinda have to pick your poison. I honestly like the hotter, lower humidity. In a couple of weeks we won't really have a choice - it will just be hot and humid all day long, kinda like what you are used to in Florida.

It definitely was a hot day, but I actually think what made it so nice day regardless was that it was the first day of the summer that I could just get out on my own schedule and by myself without any pressing work hanging over my head, honestly. It could have been a billion degrees and still nice in that regard. I like those days.

2015-06-24 4:19 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

Had my "A" race 40k ITT last weekend....didn't go well (like not at all).  I have a RR posted: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=533379&posts=1#M5124501

But if you want the tl;dr version, here you go: started out well for the first 15 minutes, started to fall apart, hit turn around and renewed my desire to push hard and try do well, completely fell apart, got a flat and was unable to finish

Pretty sure I've identified my biggest limiters for this race: confidence that I could actually hold my estimated FTP for an hour and mental strength to allow myself to hurt that badly for an hour. 

Going to start working with a coach shortly, so hopefully I can remedy some of this and salvage this race season, which has been a series of disappointments so far.  Hoping we can turn it around because I really do enjoy training and racing, and want to do well.

Sounds like just a bad day.  Having power drop off by nearly 30% halfway into an effort is not a sign of mental weakness.  Is there anything in your training/racing that you can point to that may have lead to this off day?  Sometimes they just happen...but more times than not you can at least find clues.  Maybe lack of sleep the past week or so?  Were any of your training rides leading in suggesting anything?

As far as mental confidence though, it really is a big leap to go from 5 and 20 minute tests to an hour or more.  I think a 20' test is a good way to ballpark your FTP to set up power workouts...but I much rather use something like a 2x20' workout to better estimate a 40k.  It's also easier to do in training believe it or not.

I had pretty good success this year doing three sets of 2x20' in the weeks leading up to my 40k.  Did them every Thursday...started off the first week pretty conservative and built them up week to week as I gained confidence and my fitness progressed.  My last 2x20' ended up being 281 and 282...and my 40k ended up at 281 for 57:47.

I don't know if it was a bad day so much, or if it has to do with the fact that most of my training at threshold efforts is done on the trainer.  I air condition my house to 78F when I'm riding and have a couple big fans blowing on me....factoring in humidity, the "feels like" temp was probably bordering on 100F.

The previous Saturday, I did a 1:45 ride on the trainer with a normalized power of 161W -- there was a fair amount of threshold work in that ride, but also some VO2 and a bit of sprinting, so it's probably exaggerated, but I would have expected to be able to hold at least that much for an hour.  I did a decent amount of threshold work in the build, but like I said, it was on the trainer.  When I did threshold work outside, it did feel tough to hold for even 10 minutes, but I attributed that to not tapering, having done other hard efforts, and not having the race day excitement/adrenalin. 

That said, when I did this race last year, my training was structured similarly (threshold efforts on the trainer), and the weather was similar as well.  I honestly think it's a confidence thing....that, and having written off the race in the week leading up to it.

I don't know, it's disappointing....but I'll move on and hopefully get stronger at some point again.

2015-06-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

2 questions:

1) How bad was the humidity? 

2) If 103 is a "nice day", what is a hot day? I rode through the woods tonight in 90*/90% and was whipped by the end of the hour.

Chris - missed this too. You are spot-on, we are in the part of the summer where the humidity get fairly low (for here) after the dew rises. It was probably around 65%. Riding in the morning is cooler, but then the humidity (like this morning) is well over 90%. So you kinda have to pick your poison. I honestly like the hotter, lower humidity. In a couple of weeks we won't really have a choice - it will just be hot and humid all day long, kinda like what you are used to in Florida.

It definitely was a hot day, but I actually think what made it so nice day regardless was that it was the first day of the summer that I could just get out on my own schedule and by myself without any pressing work hanging over my head, honestly. It could have been a billion degrees and still nice in that regard. I like those days.

Nice was not a weather related thing then. I am hoping to get one of those on Friday.

2015-06-24 5:13 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

I think I see what he's trying to say, but still don't really agree with it. Just in the first paragraph, power and pace can also be used in the same manner to describe how a workout felt. They do move around more as fitness changes, but once they are anchored they still do much the same thing as HR can in that regard. Then later it seems that he goes with the assumption that because HR isn't really an output yet still is related that it must be an input. I mean, I do see the differences in all three, but not how power and pace can't also be used as a proxy for effort which seems to be his basis for saying HR is.

Oh, they absolutely all can be used, as we all do. I guess in some way I am just making an argument to really use HR and Power together (anytime you guys talk about using pace as a proxy for effort I think "D*mn, it must be flat where they live! [I do use pace exclusively in the pool and on the track though]) I just like using HR and power bracketed against each other as they are giving you good insight based on the variables they are incorporating. for instance: since the variables of angular force and speed (measured in RPM) are used to calculate power, on an ergometer you can also look at HR data to find the most efficient cadence to produce the most power on longer efforts, just as a simple example.

Oh I use HR all the time too. It's very rare I'll not have it, often that'll mean somethings broken! I see HR more like an output even though it's not quite an output like the others (it's in the middle of the process, so not really either). And what goes into that (and the others) is a bit different so you can take different meaning from each of them. Some of the information overlaps. Some of it is different.

As far as flat goes, Lauren Fleshman can demonstrate this better. How do you use pace as a proxy that effectively with stuff like this all over the place? I swing all over the gear range and adjust pace by several minutes a mile multiple times within the same mile. HR has been very valuable for this. I do like math, but figuring out the slope of every part of every hill would be nuts!

2015-06-24 5:21 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Had my "A" race 40k ITT last weekend....didn't go well (like not at all).  I have a RR posted: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=533379&posts=1#M5124501

But if you want the tl;dr version, here you go: started out well for the first 15 minutes, started to fall apart, hit turn around and renewed my desire to push hard and try do well, completely fell apart, got a flat and was unable to finish

Pretty sure I've identified my biggest limiters for this race: confidence that I could actually hold my estimated FTP for an hour and mental strength to allow myself to hurt that badly for an hour. 

Going to start working with a coach shortly, so hopefully I can remedy some of this and salvage this race season, which has been a series of disappointments so far.  Hoping we can turn it around because I really do enjoy training and racing, and want to do well.

Sounds like just a bad day.  Having power drop off by nearly 30% halfway into an effort is not a sign of mental weakness.  Is there anything in your training/racing that you can point to that may have lead to this off day?  Sometimes they just happen...but more times than not you can at least find clues.  Maybe lack of sleep the past week or so?  Were any of your training rides leading in suggesting anything?

As far as mental confidence though, it really is a big leap to go from 5 and 20 minute tests to an hour or more.  I think a 20' test is a good way to ballpark your FTP to set up power workouts...but I much rather use something like a 2x20' workout to better estimate a 40k.  It's also easier to do in training believe it or not.

I had pretty good success this year doing three sets of 2x20' in the weeks leading up to my 40k.  Did them every Thursday...started off the first week pretty conservative and built them up week to week as I gained confidence and my fitness progressed.  My last 2x20' ended up being 281 and 282...and my 40k ended up at 281 for 57:47.

I don't know if it was a bad day so much, or if it has to do with the fact that most of my training at threshold efforts is done on the trainer.  I air condition my house to 78F when I'm riding and have a couple big fans blowing on me....factoring in humidity, the "feels like" temp was probably bordering on 100F.

The previous Saturday, I did a 1:45 ride on the trainer with a normalized power of 161W -- there was a fair amount of threshold work in that ride, but also some VO2 and a bit of sprinting, so it's probably exaggerated, but I would have expected to be able to hold at least that much for an hour.  I did a decent amount of threshold work in the build, but like I said, it was on the trainer.  When I did threshold work outside, it did feel tough to hold for even 10 minutes, but I attributed that to not tapering, having done other hard efforts, and not having the race day excitement/adrenalin. 

That said, when I did this race last year, my training was structured similarly (threshold efforts on the trainer), and the weather was similar as well.  I honestly think it's a confidence thing....that, and having written off the race in the week leading up to it.

I don't know, it's disappointing....but I'll move on and hopefully get stronger at some point again.

I'm guessing there is some getting used to the climate conditions again. I you're not used to working in the heat & humidity, then it will be harder to do. I run into that too. I also ran into some issues with balance & support muscles as the trainer holds you upright. My body learned to be very efficient on the trainer. This year has been different as I've been on a rock 'n roll. Outdoor riding has been notably easier than expected in this regard. I actually feel less from that outdoors now, though still have the climate to deal with.

Another thing is being used to the roads. I have a lot of bumps to deal with around here, road width cracks. Need to mentally keep the focus up and keep riding through them. Also need to work on keeping my head in position better as it's easy to cheat on that with the trainer.

2015-06-26 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I got USAT's "your sooooooo close but not quite good enough to qualify for USAT Nationals" email yesterday.  You get it again this year, Chris?  Hah, I remember when you posted about it last year!

Anyone racing or training this weekend?  I sent my power meter back to Quarq the other day, so I'm going to try my first ride without power....I think I might be a basket case!  That, or maybe I'll love it since I won't be stressing about my measly power or be disappointed when I can't hold something I think I should be able to.

2015-06-26 12:23 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I was supposed to do a 20k TT last night but couldn't make it for a couple of reasons.  We both had the day off today so we decided to go do it on our own this morning for fun.  It turned out to be a bit of a good news/bad news attempt.  The bad news is that my power sucks on the new setup on my P3.  I was 23 watts lower (272) than when I did this TT last year.  Some of that was a loss of motivation when I was struggling at the half way mark and I checked out mentally a bit (a lot).  It's very different muscles that start screaming at me on that bike vs my road bike so maybe I just need more time on the bike to get them used to it.

The good news part of it is that I was 0.9 km/hr faster on 23 less watts.  I can't do a direct time comparison since it appears I turned around about 100-150 meters too soon.  So at least the new position appears to be faster aerodynamically.  Tough to do a direct comparison since the wind was also different.

2015-06-26 12:53 PM

User image

I got USAT's "your sooooooo close but not quite good enough to qualify for USAT Nationals" email yesterday.  You get it again this year, Chris?  Hah, I remember when you posted about it last year!

Anyone racing or training this weekend?  I sent my power meter back to Quarq the other day, so I'm going to try my first ride without power....I think I might be a basket case!  That, or maybe I'll love it since I won't be stressing about my measly power or be disappointed when I can't hold something I think I should be able to.

LOL, not this year, cuz I wasn't even close!

I did sign up last minute for a flat Oly on Sunday.  I've lost quite a few steps so it's not going to b a PR or anything, just trying to see if I can race myself into shape 

In fashion news, I was inspired by Arend in SF a couple weeks ago and my wife bought me a pair of the lululemon pants that he was wearing.  Thankfully they're not see thru 

2015-06-26 9:05 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

I did sign up last minute for a flat Oly on Sunday.  I've lost quite a few steps so it's not going to b a PR or anything, just trying to see if I can race myself into shape 

In fashion news, I was inspired by Arend in SF a couple weeks ago and my wife bought me a pair of the lululemon pants that he was wearing.  Thankfully they're not see thru 

Were said pants (originally) made/designed for males or females?  

2015-06-26 10:10 PM

User image

Were said pants (originally) made/designed for males or females?  

Good point! Accdg to the website they are for males. I haven't yet joined Arena in cross-dressing
2015-06-27 12:01 PM

User image

Anyone done Chattanooga 70.3 or hear any reviews? Thinking about a 2016 road trip
2015-06-27 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Haven't heard anything about the 70.3 (other than reading a couple race reports on here), but I have a friend racing the 140.6 later this year.  The 70.3 is high on my list of races to do....probably won't be 2016, though, as work will be extremely busy, so I don't expect to be able to race until late in the year (if at all).  If you do it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

2015-06-27 6:44 PM

User image

Fun race today.  Wasnt expecting a great time, and my legs weren't feeling so good early on.  But I stayed patient and my legs magically came around at 6500' feet.  Chased down a bunch of friends that last hour or so and really put myself into the hurt locker to get one last guy just before the finish.  My race didn't go nearly to my sophisticated plan but I was able to adjust really well on the fly.  Still about 7 minutes slower than last year but still had a great time.  Strava

Edited by Jason N 2015-06-27 6:45 PM

2015-06-28 4:05 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Nice Job, Jason - what. Day that must have been. Looking forward to hearing a little more about how your strategy played out and how you adjusted as the day progressed. Congratulations on your 4th (FOURTH!!!) successful ascent.
2015-06-28 4:09 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ChrisMAnyone done Chattanooga 70.3 or hear any reviews? Thinking about a 2016 road trip

Chris, funny you should ask - I am in Chattanooga right now about to head down to transition to do the bike portion of a relay in the Olympic race they put on here at the same venue. We were talking last night with friends and teammates about maybe steering the season out with the 70.3 here and then finishing up the season with savegeman. This is GREAT town and super venue. While I did not race the 70.3 I have lots of friends and teammates that did and they loved it.

2015-06-28 2:51 PM

Master
Northern IL

Fun race today.  Wasnt expecting a great time, and my legs weren't feeling so good early on.  But I stayed patient and my legs magically came around at 6500' feet.  Chased down a bunch of friends that last hour or so and really put myself into the hurt locker to get one last guy just before the finish.  My race didn't go nearly to my sophisticated plan but I was able to adjust really well on the fly.  Still about 7 minutes slower than last year but still had a great time.  Strava

Nice going Jason! Even though it didn't go quite to plan, did you find that amount of preparation to be of benefit? Giving you a better idea of expectations than you've had before?

2015-06-28 7:07 PM

User image

Well, I joined The Club today. About 12 miles info the bike in today's Olympic a rider about 20 feet in front of me and to the left ran straight into one of those ltitle metal a frames marking something, not exactly sure what. And it all happened in slow motion. Did that guy (who I know and respect) really just hit that? Is he really going down? Is his bike sliding into my path? On the brakes, can I get around it?

Unfortunately, all the answers were yes-except for the last one. My last thought was "crap, thats a nice looking bike I'm going to hit. Went over and landed squarely on my left side. 3 broken ribs, broken clavicle, and a pneumothorax requiring a chest tube. Been a very painful day to say the least, and will be in hospital until at least Tuesday because eof the chest tube.

And pardon my french but holy f@$ing cr@p this hurts like hell......

Edited by ChrisM 2015-06-28 7:08 PM

2015-06-28 7:15 PM

Master
, California
Ug so sorry Chris. Glad you are up and able to post but that's scary. Hope you get through the worst of the pain soon.

2015-06-28 7:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ouch man! Hope you get through this well.

2015-06-28 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I joined The Club today. About 12 miles info the bike in today's Olympic a rider about 20 feet in front of me and to the left ran straight into one of those ltitle metal a frames marking something, not exactly sure what. And it all happened in slow motion. Did that guy (who I know and respect) really just hit that? Is he really going down? Is his bike sliding into my path? On the brakes, can I get around it?

Unfortunately, all the answers were yes-except for the last one. My last thought was "crap, thats a nice looking bike I'm going to hit. Went over and landed squarely on my left side. 3 broken ribs, broken clavicle, and a pneumothorax requiring a chest tube. Been a very painful day to say the least, and will be in hospital until at least Tuesday because eof the chest tube.

And pardon my french but holy f@$ing cr@p this hurts like hell......

Very sad to hear this. Heal up !!

The bright side is your french is quite good

2015-06-28 8:20 PM

User image

Sorry to hear. I had two friends do the whole broken ribs and chest tube deal. It looked extremely uncomfortable and painful from they way they looked and they way they described it.
2015-06-28 8:32 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Ah, damn Chris - that really stinks. It is all part of the game - but it still sucks when it happens. Be smart, take your time, and has been instructed to me on more than my fair share of occasions, "don't let the traumatic become the chronic." It is a long, long game Chris - it is gonna hurt for a few more days, but if you do what that pros around you tell you to do you will soon look back and be amazed at how quickly you put this behind you. Sending you healing vibes whether you believe in than sort of thing or not!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).