Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Nice Arend, looks like some very nice power. Sorry about the flat

2015-07-13 5:31 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa
291w for 25:10 - 40.3 km/hr -first time I've averaged over 40 in a TT.

I managed to get 40.6 on 301w for a 15km TT last time. It was very windy. I may give it another shot this week with our matching uniforms :-)
2015-07-13 6:16 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa 291w for 25:10 - 40.3 km/hr -first time I've averaged over 40 in a TT.
I managed to get 40.6 on 301w for a 15km TT last time. It was very windy. I may give it another shot this week with our matching uniforms :-)

I'm really liking that suit!  Fits way better than the PI Octane and really comfortable.  I'll be doing a 20k TT in a couple of weeks on a dead flat course that should be interesting - usually a very windy area though.

2015-07-13 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by axteraa 291w for 25:10 - 40.3 km/hr -first time I've averaged over 40 in a TT.

I'm really liking that suit!  Fits way better than the PI Octane and really comfortable.  I'll be doing a 20k TT in a couple of weeks on a dead flat course that should be interesting - usually a very windy area though.

My Giro A2 cracked so I picked up an LG that I haven't tried yet. I may try it and the oh-canada suit.

I was going to wear it to Parliament hill for Canada day but that got veto'd
2015-07-13 7:20 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by dtocejust because the opportunity came up, I did a racehttp://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=533943&posts=1&page=1
Wins his age group on a whim. I love this mentor group LOL

And took a KOM along the way, you know, just for fun. Way to go, Dale - great race!

2015-07-13 7:29 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

And here was all proud of myself for managing to hold 303w for a 7 minute interval last week.... sheesh, you boys are skrong. Nice racing Arend - look forward to reading about it. Sorry about the flat, but happy to hear you managed to keep the rubber side down when you went off the road, especially with so many of us in the group not being as fortunate this season. As prestigious as our little group is, I am very glad that you did not gain membership to the club.

2015-07-13 7:29 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My Giro A2 cracked so I picked up an LG that I haven't tried yet. I may try it and the oh-canada suit. I was going to wear it to Parliament hill for Canada day but that got veto'd

Ha! That would have been great!!  

2015-07-13 7:36 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag .....without measuring, you are just throwing money without even knowing if you are solving a real problem. Trust me. Done that !!!

My Giro A2 cracked so I picked up an LG that I haven't tried yet.

It really is a sickness, I tell you.

Ha-ha - Marc - seriously, I can't wait to hear how it tests out. Let us know how you set up your protocol and let us know how it goes. I STILL have to compare the handful of helmets I have access to, just haven't made the time yet.

2015-07-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by marcag .....without measuring, you are just throwing money without even knowing if you are solving a real problem. Trust me. Done that !!!

Ha-ha - Marc - seriously, I can't wait to hear how it tests out. Let us know how you set up your protocol and let us know how it goes. I STILL have to compare the handful of helmets I have access to, just haven't made the time yet.

I had actually tested the LG at the Velodrome and it was the fastest helmet for me but not a lot faster than the A2.
It was best for me without the visor and the plug.

2015-07-13 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

And here was all proud of myself for managing to hold 303w for a 7 minute interval last week.... sheesh, you boys are skrong. Nice racing Arend - look forward to reading about it. Sorry about the flat, but happy to hear you managed to keep the rubber side down when you went off the road, especially with so many of us in the group not being as fortunate this season. As prestigious as our little group is, I am very glad that you did not gain membership to the club.

Well that's still not bad at all Rusty!

No TT'ing for me, but 470 for 3 minutes up a hill on Saturday. Fair bit short of the KOM, but that was expected. Kind of a fun with with grinding at 55 rpm in spots and bumping 100 rpm after shifting up a couple gears too.

Edited by brigby1 2015-07-13 8:19 AM
2015-07-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

TT + Road Race report from yesterday

2015-07-13 12:19 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I had actually tested the LG at the Velodrome and it was the fastest helmet for me but not a lot faster than the A2. It was best for me without the visor and the plug.

I read that it seems to test better without the visor - but have also read that some people find that their field of vision with the visor on is greater and therefore can keep their head a bit lower and still see down the road.  Your thoughts?  Oh, and what are we talking watts wise with/without visor?

2015-07-13 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Curious what suit you guys got.  Assuming an LG based on the comments?

2015-07-13 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag trying to catch up on about 30 pages :-) Summary - Chris, can you sue those incompetent idiots ? - Neil, from a person who has been there, don't buy stuff until you figured out how to measure and position yourself. Until you get into your optimal position, you don't know what aerobars you need. And they are dang expensive. Very simply put, because your body account for the overwheling amount of drag, air wants to flow around based on your body. Then you optimize all the 'parts' around that air flow including helmet, bottles.....You may be better off buying clothing rather than bottles, or glasses rather than visors.....without measuring, you are just throwing money without even knowing if you are solving a real problem. Trust me. Done that !!! - TDF. I plan to watch it for the first time today. I can't figure something out. Why am I pulling for Contador ?

Fully agree with you on understanding body position, etc. However, I'm pretty sure the cost of Alphamantis after the PanAm Games is going to be north of $800 and that just is not going to fly on the homefront.  Money on something actually tangible like a helmet or trisuit can be (partially) understood - coming home and showing a piece of paper and saying "Honey, look how much my cda dropped and it only cost $xxxx, oh and I need to spend $xxxx to get to this number...why are you packing my bag?"

I know the Chung method is out there as well, but that seems fraught with possible screw ups.  Wish there was another option, because I agree with everything you said.

2015-07-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Curious what suit you guys got.  Assuming an LG based on the comments?

Yup, LG M2 Course SS with a custom design.  A guy on ST organized a group buy for Canadians.

2015-07-13 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I had actually tested the LG at the Velodrome and it was the fastest helmet for me but not a lot faster than the A2. It was best for me without the visor and the plug.

I read that it seems to test better without the visor - but have also read that some people find that their field of vision with the visor on is greater and therefore can keep their head a bit lower and still see down the road.  Your thoughts?  Oh, and what are we talking watts wise with/without visor?

From testing at Milton, CDA and watts saved over baseline

#33 w/ LG M2 Tri Top alone over shorts 0.256 31.0
#36 w/ LG P09 visor and plug in 0.273 17.1
#37 w/ LG P09 visor, no plug 0.268 21.2
#38 w/ LG P09 , no visor, Oakley glasses 0.255 31.8

#33 was with my Giro A2 and the LG M2 suite = 31watts saving over baseline
#38 was the P09 no visor, no plug = 31.8 watts savings, so almost identical

The P09 with visor and plug was 17watts savings over baseline, so 14 watts worse than no visor
The P09 with visor no plug as 21.2 watts savings over baseline, so about 10 watts worse than no visor.

These numbers vary considerably from person to person

There was a guy on ST that organized a group buy of the M2 suits with Canadian flag. Arend and I participated. It was a really good deal.

2015-07-13 2:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Did a couple of crits yesterday.  Luckily it was one part of the island that wasn't raining...otherwise I wouldn't have done them.  Goal was just to have fun and not crash.  First 30 min race I just attacked right off the bat and rode the first 4 laps off the front (which was super fun), then did another 5 laps or so with the lead group, then just said screw it, and cruised along getting ready for the next race.

Second race I stayed up with the lead group the first 16 of 30 minutes, then I just felt tired and didn't want to do anything stupid while I can't see straight so I pulled out.  It was crazy hot...around 90 degrees, but with the humidity, the real feel was over 100.  Luckily I brought a 64 ounce hydroflask with water in it and drank the whole thing in a 3 hour span...in addition to the one bottle I had on my bike.

Normally crits would be my type of race but this pointed out one big hole I have had in my training recently.  Lack of VO2 efforts and just overall intensity.  I've been really slacking on them and my fitness has taken a pretty big tumble.  I look back on my training and it's pretty obvious as to why the last few weeks have been pretty crappy on the bike.  I still have a few races coming up, but not sure if I'll enter unless I can get things turned around quickly. 

This was sort of what I was scared of when I had early season success...getting complacent.  

2015-07-15 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

The P09 with visor and plug was 17watts savings over baseline, so 14 watts worse than no visor The P09 with visor no plug as 21.2 watts savings over baseline, so about 10 watts worse than no visor.  

Wow, that's pretty huge.  Just so I understand this correctly, 10 watts is 10 real watts?  This isn't a case of savings 10 watts at 50mph - I would actually have to ride 10 watts harder with the visor to ride the same time at normal riding speeds?

How tight is your LG?  Got mine and it is very snug, to the point that I don't really need to fully tighten the head selector thingy inside.  I got the medium, but tried on a freinds large afterwards just to see if I was in the wrong size, but I was swimming in the large.

2015-07-15 9:57 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Le Tour kind of went Boom yesterday.

Racing an Olympic this weekend.  Raced this one in the past and they limit it to only 300 people since they take you out on a couple of old paddle boats, drop you in the middle of the lake and you swim back to shore.  Really tough run course so we'll se how the legs manage this weekend.

Any one else racing?

2015-07-15 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Racing an Olympic on Sunday as well.  It's a new race, looks to be very flat.

2015-07-15 10:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not racing this weekend as I did a HIM on Sunday! RR up as of last night. Managed a 5:32 despite very windy conditions, especially on the bike. It was not a perfect race, but I don't think I had much more in me by the end! It was my fastest swim split by a couple of minutes, though (wetsuit race and water fairly calm, so I guess not surprising). Very interesting race with a very small field so at times it had a DIY feel to it.

I am racing next Saturday (local Oly) so hoping recovery goes quickly. Advice from anyone who's raced soon after a HIM appreciated. My thought is to take it easy this week; maybe get in some decent swim workouts on Friday and Sunday (maybe OWS on course on Saturday), and then do some shorter bike/run workouts with a small amount of race-pace effort next week. Feel very different from my first two HIM--Monday I felt pretty bad--really sore and exhausted, almost sick (though we drove back on HW 101, so it may have been more carsickness than anything else!). Yesterday not sore at all, just kind of tired. Ditto for today. I guess I don't know what to expect as I've only done two previous HIM and one was my first (with pretty major bike fit issues); I was really sick for the other.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-07-15 10:39 AM

2015-07-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have no real advice for you but I will mention that it didn't go so well for me when I did it.    After my first HIM, I did a sprint either 2 or 3 weeks after (I forget exactly) and had a hard time.  Leading up to the sprint, my workouts all felt normal but come race time I just felt very flat, couldn't hit anywhere near race intensity.  I may just have had a bad day but my gut says that I just wasn't ready for it.  Now that I've done a few more and am better prepared, it might not be so much of a concern.

2015-07-15 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The P09 with visor and plug was 17watts savings over baseline, so 14 watts worse than no visor The P09 with visor no plug as 21.2 watts savings over baseline, so about 10 watts worse than no visor.  

Wow, that's pretty huge.  Just so I understand this correctly, 10 watts is 10 real watts?  This isn't a case of savings 10 watts at 50mph - I would actually have to ride 10 watts harder with the visor to ride the same time at normal riding speeds?

How tight is your LG?  Got mine and it is very snug, to the point that I don't really need to fully tighten the head selector thingy inside.  I got the medium, but tried on a freinds large afterwards just to see if I was in the wrong size, but I was swimming in the large.

It's 10watts at 42kph. The real number to look at is cda savings and then you can calculate watts saved at various speeds.

while several people said the visor is slower, it is an individual thing. For example, your glasses may test slower than the visor on you. It was interesting to see the TTT the other day. Teams had a mix of visors/sunglasses.

That kind of savings is measurable in the field.
2015-07-15 11:49 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not racing this weekend as I did a HIM on Sunday! RR up as of last night. Managed a 5:32 despite very windy conditions, especially on the bike. It was not a perfect race, but I don't think I had much more in me by the end! It was my fastest swim split by a couple of minutes, though (wetsuit race and water fairly calm, so I guess not surprising). Very interesting race with a very small field so at times it had a DIY feel to it. I am racing next Saturday (local Oly) so hoping recovery goes quickly. Advice from anyone who's raced soon after a HIM appreciated. My thought is to take it easy this week; maybe get in some decent swim workouts on Friday and Sunday (maybe OWS on course on Saturday), and then do some shorter bike/run workouts with a small amount of race-pace effort next week. Feel very different from my first two HIM--Monday I felt pretty bad--really sore and exhausted, almost sick (though we drove back on HW 101, so it may have been more carsickness than anything else!). Yesterday not sore at all, just kind of tired. Ditto for today. I guess I don't know what to expect as I've only done two previous HIM and one was my first (with pretty major bike fit issues); I was really sick for the other.

Haven't had anything I've really wanted to nail that close after a HIM, but did do a sprint for fun a week after one. Recover extensively this week. Get rid of the race fatigue. Workouts are true recovery efforts, and not this feeling "recovered" after a smaller Z2 effort some like to say they do. Bike power like 50% or less, for example. Spinning well. Add in some lighter things to build up the effort for brief periods of time. Maybe in another day or two or over the weekend. Like strides for running. Build into doing some work at or just over race pace pace early to mid next week. You're not trying to add fitness with these, just getting used to pushing the effort some more again. I don't quite know where you can get to, but don't feel like you need to do 3 x 20 @ 90% or more to simulate the bike or bigger tempo runs or lots of mile repeats at 10k pace. Maybe see if you can get up to a couple again, but pay attention to how well you're handling it. I have often ended up doing progressions after a race just to get back into things. Starting with something not too hard and getting stronger with each successive one.

2015-07-15 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not racing this weekend as I did a HIM on Sunday! RR up as of last night. Managed a 5:32 despite very windy conditions, especially on the bike. It was not a perfect race, but I don't think I had much more in me by the end! It was my fastest swim split by a couple of minutes, though (wetsuit race and water fairly calm, so I guess not surprising). Very interesting race with a very small field so at times it had a DIY feel to it. I am racing next Saturday (local Oly) so hoping recovery goes quickly. Advice from anyone who's raced soon after a HIM appreciated. My thought is to take it easy this week; maybe get in some decent swim workouts on Friday and Sunday (maybe OWS on course on Saturday), and then do some shorter bike/run workouts with a small amount of race-pace effort next week. Feel very different from my first two HIM--Monday I felt pretty bad--really sore and exhausted, almost sick (though we drove back on HW 101, so it may have been more carsickness than anything else!). Yesterday not sore at all, just kind of tired. Ditto for today. I guess I don't know what to expect as I've only done two previous HIM and one was my first (with pretty major bike fit issues); I was really sick for the other.

I'm always slow to recover - after a HIM I'm done for a number of days and don't have it in me to race again within a week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).