in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by GoFaster

The P09 with visor and plug was 17watts savings over baseline, so 14 watts worse than no visor The P09 with visor no plug as 21.2 watts savings over baseline, so about 10 watts worse than no visor.  

Wow, that's pretty huge.  Just so I understand this correctly, 10 watts is 10 real watts?  This isn't a case of savings 10 watts at 50mph - I would actually have to ride 10 watts harder with the visor to ride the same time at normal riding speeds?

How tight is your LG?  Got mine and it is very snug, to the point that I don't really need to fully tighten the head selector thingy inside.  I got the medium, but tried on a freinds large afterwards just to see if I was in the wrong size, but I was swimming in the large.

It's 10watts at 42kph. The real number to look at is cda savings and then you can calculate watts saved at various speeds. while several people said the visor is slower, it is an individual thing. For example, your glasses may test slower than the visor on you. It was interesting to see the TTT the other day. Teams had a mix of visors/sunglasses. That kind of savings is measurable in the field.

cda = math...which I'm nto very good at.  But at speeds I would expect to ride it's likely a 7 watt savings, assuming the glasses are good.  Good point on the TTT, I noticed that as well.  Some teams were all equipped the same way, others it was completely random.

2015-07-15 5:27 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Race is next Saturday (26th) not this coming one, thank goodness. Will just take it easy this week and add some strides/pick-ups next week if feeling good. Not sore today and felt okay swimming though I didn't push anything, just did easy recovery stuff and drills. I was a bit concerned about signing up for the two races in that time span, but they were the only ones that work out during the time I'm home. If I'm really not up to it, I can probably switch down to the sprint for the local race. I'm a bit concerned as have heard others' disaster stories about racing too soon after IM and HIM. When I was 20, I set all my PB's from 3000m to marathon within a 4 week period and never got that fast again....It does give me pause!
2015-07-15 6:09 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Hey all, James is having his surgery tomorrow morning (thursday) I'm case you want to wish him well. Mine is Friday afternoon
2015-07-15 7:27 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Race is next Saturday (26th) not this coming one, thank goodness. Will just take it easy this week and add some strides/pick-ups next week if feeling good. Not sore today and felt okay swimming though I didn't push anything, just did easy recovery stuff and drills. I was a bit concerned about signing up for the two races in that time span, but they were the only ones that work out during the time I'm home. If I'm really not up to it, I can probably switch down to the sprint for the local race. I'm a bit concerned as have heard others' disaster stories about racing too soon after IM and HIM. When I was 20, I set all my PB's from 3000m to marathon within a 4 week period and never got that fast again....It does give me pause!

Won my age group, 9th overall, bike course record ...

Though yeah, the run did kinda hurt.

2015-07-15 9:47 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Awesome Ben!!

2015-07-15 9:48 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ChrisM Hey all, James is having his surgery tomorrow morning (thursday) I'm case you want to wish him well. Mine is Friday afternoon

Good luck Chris - sending you healing wishes.

2015-07-15 9:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM Hey all, James is having his surgery tomorrow morning (thursday) I'm case you want to wish him well. Mine is Friday afternoon

Hope things work out well for the both of you.

2015-07-16 2:43 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Best wishes to you both!

2015-07-16 12:42 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Best wishes to you both!

Thanks, James is out and doing well and on his way to a dream crushing comeback

2015-07-17 5:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Best wishes to you both!

Best wishes for today.

2015-07-17 5:51 AM

User image

Best wishes to you both!

Best wishes for today.
Thanks,4 am can't sleep. Pre op yesterday,depending on what they find they may use a different technique and insert a rod into the clavicle to straighten it rather than the plate

Also found out yesterday that the bike is ok!

2015-07-17 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Best wishes to you both!

Best wishes for today.
Thanks,4 am can't sleep. Pre op yesterday,depending on what they find they may use a different technique and insert a rod into the clavicle to straighten it rather than the plate

Post pics of version 2.0 :-)
2015-07-17 6:17 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Best wishes to you both!

Best wishes for today.

Well now you should be able to sleep better knowing the bike is OK - ha! Best wishes today Chris - it is going to go great and you will be better than ever before you know it. Very glad to hear James is recovering well also. Keep us posted.

2015-07-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by TankBoy

Best wishes to you both!

Best wishes for today.

Well now you should be able to sleep better knowing the bike is OK - ha! Best wishes today Chris - it is going to go great and you will be better than ever before you know it. Very glad to hear James is recovering well also. Keep us posted.

Can't say it any better than that. Best wishes.

2015-07-17 2:13 PM

Master
, California

Best wishes to you both!

Best wishes for today.

Remember, titanium!  Don't let those doctors weigh you down with stainless steel

2015-07-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Home. Had to use plate due to prior break and deformity. Went well I'm told. On a nerve block and Percocet and have heard that the Pain skyrockets when the block wears off so enjoying while I can

2015-07-19 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Raced an Olympic today.  Just an ok day, swim was great, felt terrible on the bike for some reason and the run was ok given how bad I felt on the bike.

The 2nd place finisher (18 or 19 years old) ran a 32:56 10k and his 16 year old brother did the sprint and ran a 14:13 5k!!  Talk about picking your parents wisely.

2015-07-19 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Raced an Olympic today.  Just an ok day, swim was great, felt terrible on the bike for some reason and the run was ok given how bad I felt on the bike.

The 2nd place finisher (18 or 19 years old) ran a 32:56 10k and his 16 year old brother did the sprint and ran a 14:13 5k!!  Talk about picking your parents wisely.

Congrats. At least you were out there

what did the 1st place finisher run ?

how did you pace the bike ?

Edited by marcag 2015-07-19 2:43 PM
2015-07-19 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Congrats. At least you were out there what did the 1st place finisher run ? how did you pace the bike ?

First place ran 36:57 but put 2 minutes on the swim and 4 minutes into 2nd on the bike - he was on a road bike with clipons.  

My plan for the bike was 260-270w but I was never comfortable, I felt all scrunched up and out of position and was questioning if my seat post had slipped down  - haven't gone and measured to check yet.

2015-07-19 5:12 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I had the same issue with my bike last week and in the course of giving it a bath today, checked the seat height--it's in the same place it always was. Never had that experience before. I felt like I was hunched over and my face was way too close to the pavement! Have trained on that bike for 2/3 of my rides this summer. Maybe from the cold water or pushing the swim too hard, or I had my head really far down due to wind? In my case I didn't feel like it was the swim, but it was a really fast split for me so maybe I did take it out hard.
2015-07-20 7:58 PM
in reply to: #5079829

User image

Elite
Ontario
Raced the Olympic this weekend as well. Felt ok on the swim even though I swam poorly, and felt good for the first half of the ride then power started to fall off badly. Started the run with a stitch that took 3km to fade but then couldn't turn the run around. Was expecting to make up time on the run but it wasn't to be and ended up almost 3min slower running than expected. After the race had lunch with friends then headed back to the inlaws and by the time I got there I could hardly keep my eyes open. Fell asleep strath away and woke up with really sore throat and headache. Yesterday I was suffering a full on cold, so I'm guessing this was partly to blame for the drop off during the race. Was disappointed with the result but looking at the bike split, I still rode under 1:05 which is probably my best bike time at the Oly distance - but a gentle undulating course with no hills vs most courses I race that are more rolling.

Results also show that after 6 years I still suck in the water and give up big chunks of time every race.

2015-07-20 10:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Had a really nice ride today and no problem getting up to Oly speed at the usual heart rate/RPE for 5 X 10 minute pickups with equal recovery and felt good after. Now if I could just get back to feeling like a runner again. I've run twice (very easy) since the HIM, but both times felt sluggish and every niggle that I've felt in the past sixth months decided to have a word with me. Will try a few more easy runs with strides this week, and I guess the race just will be what it will be. After 2:13 of a sucky run in 105 degree heat in Danang, it can't be THAT bad--at least it will be over after 10 km!

As for the bike, my position felt fine today and very comfortable for a 45 mile ride. No idea what the "pavement too close" sensation in the race was about--why on earth was I looking down at the pavement anyway, instead of straight ahead? My front tire was a little low this AM so I topped it off before riding, but I'm sure I checked it before the race and it was fine, so doubt it would have been an issue in the first miles. I must have been hunched into some weird position due to cramped core muscles from the swim, or fighting the wind.

After all this time, I still struggle with the bike. I've made progress, but my competition just keeps getting faster and it seems around here the fast bikers gravitate to longer events (I guess as bike counts more for HIM and IM). Still 20 minutes slower on the bike than a woman my age in that race who was 3rd overall. I have worked my butt off and know there's no alternative but think I lack any natural talent for cycling (except, perhaps, climbing).

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-07-20 10:50 PM
2015-07-22 10:33 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by ChrisMHome. Had to use plate due to prior break and deformity. Went well I'm told. On a nerve block and Percocet and have heard that the Pain skyrockets when the block wears off so enjoying while I can
How's it feeling now? Glad you are home and it went well!
2015-07-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Got in a 5k tuneup in preparation for the National Championship this weekend. I thought it went really well and was able to pace it consistently considering I've done no road /speed specific work.
2015-07-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Did a TT last night.  AP 285w, dead flat 20.8km, 42.2 km/hr - pretty happy with the power to speed ratio I've been getting lately.  My new position has cost me a bit of power but it certainly seems to be a net gain in speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/352689154/overview

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).