Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-08-04 12:32 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

I've been having some pain on the top of my right foot recently.  I tried to run through it for a couple weeks and it finally said, "No!!!"  So I made a foot with a podiatrist and have been aquajogging for the past week.  Finally got into the doc today and was diagnosed with a stress fracture

First doc said full immobilization 24/7, no cross training, nothing for at least two weeks.  I wasn't satisfied with this, so made an appointment to get a second opinion.  Unfortunately, he mostly agreed with the first doc, but as an athlete himself, understands that being forced to be completely inactive for two weeks is going to be damn near impossible for me, so he said I can aquajog, but if I'm putting any (ANY!) pressure on my foot, it needs to be in the walking boot.

Really bummed about this, but trying to stay positive and see if I can salvage my season (or maybe make an excuse to do a January race that I've wanted to do for years, but never was willing to extend a season out that far!). 

2015-08-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Sorry to hear Nicole.  Seems like this summer has not been too kind to our little group.  Hope everything works out and heals properly.

2015-08-04 10:42 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Nicole - that sucks badly.  I would have hoped you could have at least kept riding or swimming.  2 weeks is tough, but you should hopefully not lose too much. fitness.

2015-08-05 5:44 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N

Sorry to hear Nicole.  Seems like this summer has not been too kind to our little group.  Hope everything works out and heals properly.

No kidding!  I am trying to avoid the curse because I have a race scheduled for October.

2015-08-05 5:45 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
, California

Originally posted by GoFaster

Nicole - that sucks badly.  I would have hoped you could have at least kept riding or swimming.  2 weeks is tough, but you should hopefully not lose too much. fitness.

I was thinking about that.  They probably don't want any standing on the bottom or pushing off the wall.  But maybe open water swimming would be ok?

2015-08-05 6:20 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

No kidding!  I am trying to avoid the curse because I have a race scheduled for October.

Ya, it's getting dangerous out here!  

Nicole, I hope it heals up quickly for you.

2015-08-05 7:18 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by GoFaster

I was thinking about that.  They probably don't want any standing on the bottom or pushing off the wall.  But maybe open water swimming would be ok?

Yeah, that's what my doctor said -- no pressure on the ball of my foot unless it's in the walking boot.  So aquajogging (deep water with flotation belt) and OWS are fine.  He specifically said he doesn't trust me to remember (every single time!) to not push off the wall....and I agree, it would be very easy to forget.

I'm registered for Miami 70.3 in October (and an Oly in September), so currently trying to salvage that.  I'm not too worried about the swimming, or even the biking (two weeks off the bike should be salvageable)....but quite concerned about running, given that it's not a strength of mine.  Won't make the final call until sometime in September.  Hopefully aquajogging is as good as everyone says it is!

2015-08-05 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Hey Nicole, sorry about the stress fx. It might be worth asking the doc if you could include running on an Alter G (anti-gravity treadmill) into your rehab plan. Perhaps not for the first part of your recovery -  but it might be a way to increase running intensity while minimizing stress on the foot. Most of the larger PT groups around here have them and I'd bet you could find one nearby. Just a thought. 

2015-08-05 12:19 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I've been having some pain on the top of my right foot recently.  I tried to run through it for a couple weeks and it finally said, "No!!!"  So I made a foot with a podiatrist and have been aquajogging for the past week.  Finally got into the doc today and was diagnosed with a stress fracture

First doc said full immobilization 24/7, no cross training, nothing for at least two weeks.  I wasn't satisfied with this, so made an appointment to get a second opinion.  Unfortunately, he mostly agreed with the first doc, but as an athlete himself, understands that being forced to be completely inactive for two weeks is going to be damn near impossible for me, so he said I can aquajog, but if I'm putting any (ANY!) pressure on my foot, it needs to be in the walking boot.

Really bummed about this, but trying to stay positive and see if I can salvage my season (or maybe make an excuse to do a January race that I've wanted to do for years, but never was willing to extend a season out that far!). 

Ughhh that sucks!!!! A couple weeks isn't too bad though. We are talking about very minimal fitness loss in that 2-3 week period. If you can keep that cardio part as strong as possible, especially with aqua-jogging. 

2015-08-05 12:22 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I got one last race in before Pikes Peak Ascent next week race report

Pretty sure nothing can truly prepare me for nearly 8,000' of elevation gain (up to 14,050.) But regardless, it's going to be an amazing experience. 

2015-08-05 3:24 PM

User image

Hey, I got 10 minutes on the trainer....... 

2015-08-07 5:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Did a TT last night.  AP 285w, dead flat 20.8km, 42.2 km/hr - pretty happy with the power to speed ratio I've been getting lately.  My new position has cost me a bit of power but it certainly seems to be a net gain in speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/352689154/overview

15km TT.
41.1 km/h (25.7mph) on 270w. Rolling hills, tail wind out, head wind back (13km/h). Cool. Is summer already over ?

Legs would just not go. Always felt stuck between 2 gears. Either spinning too fast (105RPM) but couldn't grind on the next harder gear.
I suspect I didn't warm up enough, as I couldn't get my HR up either. I normally finish at 167, I finished at 158.

So the cda is ok, the power was bad. PM was working properly since Vectors and Q were within a watt.

Edited by marcag 2015-08-07 5:59 AM
2015-08-07 6:14 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

Did a TT last night.  AP 285w, dead flat 20.8km, 42.2 km/hr - pretty happy with the power to speed ratio I've been getting lately.  My new position has cost me a bit of power but it certainly seems to be a net gain in speed.

15km TT. 41.1 km/h (25.7mph) on 270w. Rolling hills, tail wind out, head wind back (13km/h). Cool. Is summer already over ? Legs would just not go. Always felt stuck between 2 gears. Either spinning too fast (105RPM) but couldn't grind on the next harder gear. I suspect I didn't warm up enough, as I couldn't get my HR up either. I normally finish at 167, I finished at 158. So the cda is ok, the power was bad. PM was working properly since Vectors and Q were within a watt.

Nice!  I think the warmup really is key for something like that.  I've always known it was the case but I've had a few instances this year where I skimped on the warmup due to crappy weather and it always results in what you describe.

2015-08-07 6:17 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The past week has been hard on cyclists here.  Two friends have been hit by cars and both were cases where the car pulled out of a side street in front of them.  Combine that with James and Chris getting hurt and it certainly has me wondering WTF is going on!  

2015-08-07 6:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice!  I think the warmup really is key for something like that.  I've always known it was the case but I've had a few instances this year where I skimped on the warmup due to crappy weather and it always results in what you describe.

Ya, 12min at 160w doesn't cut it as a warm up.
2015-08-07 6:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The past week has been hard on cyclists here.  Two friends have been hit by cars and both were cases where the car pulled out of a side street in front of them.  Combine that with James and Chris getting hurt and it certainly has me wondering WTF is going on!  

It's going to get worst before it gets better. People are incredibly distracted behind the wheel. Every morning I have to cross a large boulevard to get to the forest where I walk the dog. I watch 30 cars go by before I can cross. Easily, 1/4 are texting at 7 in the morning.

I rode the trainer twice this week and to be honest I really don't mind.

2015-08-07 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arend,

I saw your post on ST. What size is your head ?
I measured. I am 59.5 and the L is perfect. If you are 59 or above, I would go L

Conversation with my son went like this.

son : "Dad why are you wearing your aero helmet at 7:30 in the morning ?"
me : "I have measure my head"
son : "Why"
me : "To help a dude on the internet"
son : "OK, let's hope this problem is not hereditary"

Edited by marcag 2015-08-07 7:09 AM
2015-08-07 7:20 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Arend, I saw your post on ST. What size is your head ? I measured. I am 59.5 and the L is perfect. If you are 59 or above, I would go L Conversation with my son went like this. son : "Dad why are you wearing your aero helmet at 7:30 in the morning ?" me : "I have measure my head" son : "Why" me : "To help a dude on the internet" son : "OK, let's hope this problem is not hereditary"

LOL!  Thanks, I appreciate that.  

I am right on 59 and after reading a few other threads I think I will likely go with the L.  Trigeeks.ca has them on a final sale price of $225 CDN which seems like a good price.

2015-08-07 7:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

15km TT. 41.1 km/h (25.7mph) on 270w. Rolling hills, tail wind out, head wind back (13km/h). Cool. Is summer already over ? Legs would just not go. Always felt stuck between 2 gears. Either spinning too fast (105RPM) but couldn't grind on the next harder gear. I suspect I didn't warm up enough, as I couldn't get my HR up either. I normally finish at 167, I finished at 158. So the cda is ok, the power was bad. PM was working properly since Vectors and Q were within a watt.

Nice going! And yeah, warm-up is rather important for the hard efforts. I have done well in some races or workouts without as much of one, but those are more the exception than the norm. Probably a lot more failed attempts than successes though. What do you normally do for something like this?

2015-08-07 7:30 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Nice going! And yeah, warm-up is rather important for the hard efforts. I have done well in some races or workouts without as much of one, but those are more the exception than the norm. Probably a lot more failed attempts than successes though. What do you normally do for something like this?

I seem to do well when I get in at least 15 mins of riding that include 4 or 5 efforts of 30 - 45s at goal power.

2015-08-07 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

15km TT. 41.1 km/h (25.7mph) on 270w. Rolling hills, tail wind out, head wind back (13km/h). Cool. Is summer already over ?

Legs would just not go. Always felt stuck between 2 gears. Either spinning too fast (105RPM) but couldn't grind on the next harder gear. I suspect I didn't warm up enough, as I couldn't get my HR up either. I normally finish at 167, I finished at 158.

So the cda is ok, the power was bad. PM was working properly since Vectors and Q were within a watt.

Just can't please you Canadians, can we?

Edited by ligersandtions 2015-08-07 9:55 AM

2015-08-07 9:56 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1
What do you normally do for something like this?

I did 2 previously, one at 302, one at 300.
Both times HR was 10 beats higher at max and 5 beats average.
I know that one gear higher that I couldn't grind on was the right gear I just couldn't do it.

2015-08-07 11:27 AM

User image

For 20-30 minute TTs I usually warm up for 30-40 minutes. The shorter the race, the longer the warm up. Usually includes a couple of 3 minute blocks at 85% of goal power then five 1 minute intervals that build from 85% to goal power. There is nothing scientific about this...just something I randomly choose to do that seems to work.
2015-08-07 11:37 AM

User image

Seattle

My coworker just ate it yesterday, breaking her fall with her face!

I guess as more people bike it just increases the odds but sheesh! Be safe my friends.

2015-08-07 11:52 AM

Master
, California

It's going to get worst before it gets better. People are incredibly distracted behind the wheel. Every morning I have to cross a large boulevard to get to the forest where I walk the dog. I watch 30 cars go by before I can cross. Easily, 1/4 are texting at 7 in the morning. I rode the trainer twice this week and to be honest I really don't mind.

I can't wait until self driving cars are the norm.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).