of 97

2015-08-07 10:39 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Guess I have been lucky since ruining one HIM with a badly timed case of the flu in May. Have actually been healthy and had no incidents in my last two races. I did manage to hit the ground Sunday when I tripped while running, probably due to running with jet lag/stiff legs from long day of flying. No serious damage, just some skin lost. Actually all my more serious "running injuries" have been from tripping over things/sliding on ice/falling over my own feet. Aside from the occasional flareup of plantar fasciitis, can't think of any actual "running injury" I've had in over 35 years of running. My last two "injuries" (which didn't really affect performance but were annoying) have been race-related--a strained calf muscle from a stuck wetsuit (really) and a timing chip strap that got caught between shoe and sock on the run and rubbed out a sore spot on my ankle.

No stress fractures, knee or Achilles issues (unless we count bone bruises from tripping over one's own feet), no major bike crashes (knock on wood), none of the usual suspects. I should count my blessings. Just wish my timing with getting sick and having random accidents would be a bit better! Stay safe, everyone.

2015-08-08 5:21 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Local super-stud on the bike just joined Strava.  I just got a pile of stolen KOM emails.  It was nice while it lasted - LOL.

2015-08-08 5:34 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

Local super-stud on the bike just joined Strava.  I just got a pile of stolen KOM emails.  It was nice while it lasted - LOL.

Is there Strava for aqua jogging?  Cause I'm crushing it these days

2015-08-08 5:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

One more week in a sling but honestly I wear it out in public (mostly don't want people bumping into me) but take it off at home, at work, in the car, so it's off more than it's on

Finished first week of pt, just passive range of motion but already have 180° over my head so going well

Crazily enough, despite 4 weeks of being basically bedridden and being brought chocolates and cake and ..... My weight was actually down about 5 # from race morning. Wonder how many calories the body uses to knit bones. I think its creeping up a bit so will have to be a bit more attentive

It's tough figuring out an exercise program when it's basically walking/hiking and recumbent bike. Did get an hour on the recumbent today. Boring but felt good to get a good sweat going. At some point I am going to join Nicole aqua jogging, but looking at getting a tattoo so won't be in the water for a couple weeks anyway

Edited by ChrisM 2015-08-08 5:37 PM

2015-08-08 5:39 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Is there Strava for aqua jogging?  Cause I'm crushing it these days

Your pool is outdoors right?  Just put a garmin under your swimcap.  

2015-08-08 5:42 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM One more week in a sling but honestly I wear it out in public (mostly don't want people bumping into me) but take it off at home, at work, in the car, so it's off more than it's on

Finished first week of pt, just passive range of motion but already have 180° over my head so going well

Crazily enough, despite 4 weeks of being basically bedridden and being brought chocolates and cake and ..... My weight was actually down about 5 # from race morning. Wonder how many calories the body uses to knit bones. I think its creeping up a bit so will have to be a bit more attentive

It's tough figuring out an exercise program when it's basically walking/hiking and recumbent bike. Did get an hour on the recumbent today. Boring but felt good to get a good sweat going. At some point I am going to join Nicole aqua jogging, but looking at getting a tattoo so won't be in the water for a couple weeks anyway

Glad to hear it's going well Chris.  Stick with those PT exercises!

2015-08-08 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Great to hear about your progress!  Especially knowing where you came from.  You sleeping through the night (in your own bed!) now?

When you do get into aqua jogging, here's a program that helps break up the monotony: http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/9wkH2O.htm

Aquajogging, honestly, is not that bad.  It beats the hell out of being sedentary.  I'm even OWS'ing, which also beats not swimming!

What's this tattoo you're thinking of getting?

2015-08-09 12:32 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Road race today - 64k, 3700 feet of elevation, 2 hours @ AP 245 / NP 278w.  Probably the hardest ride I've ever done.  I couldn't stay with the stronger riders when they hit the hills hard but once on my own I just held a steady power and picked off a couple of them that blew up in the group ahead.  Chips and cookies afterwards were reeeeeally good.

2015-08-09 7:11 PM

User image

Great to hear about your progress!  Especially knowing where you came from.  You sleeping through the night (in your own bed!) now?

When you do get into aqua jogging, here's a program that helps break up the monotony: http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/9wkH2O.htm

Aquajogging, honestly, is not that bad.  It beats the hell out of being sedentary.  I'm even OWS'ing, which also beats not swimming!

Thanks!

Looking to get a manta Ray or shark, but a more stylized and less literal design. Calf or.shoulder.

2015-08-09 8:16 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks!

Looking to get a manta Ray or shark, but a more stylized and less literal design. Calf or.shoulder.

You should get a tattoo of your fixed collarbone so the hospital knows what it's SUPPOSED to look like next time they discharge you

2015-08-09 9:26 PM

User image

Road race today.  Came in feeling a lot better the last couple of weeks but wasn't really sure how it would go with a pretty decent field for my division.  it was my kind of course, a 12 lap circuit with a few short power climbs and a lot of opportunity to sit in.  Stuck with the lead group till the last lap where the winner broke away with an unbelievable move from 1.5 miles out.  Ended up in a sprint for second with 2 other guys.  Lined it up perfectly but got my front wheel taken out just when I made my move as the rider in front of me moved swerved left.  Bike is okay other than a bent spoke, and I came out with only a couple extremely minor scrapes on my knee. The type you always came home with as a kid from playing outside that you don't even put a band aid on.  That's bike racing though and it was only for second...I'll live.  Very happy with how I performed though.  199 watts AP and 282 NP for 1:41.  No doubt in my mind that I would have easily come around for 2nd, which I would have gladly taken if you offered it to me before the race.  

2015-08-10 3:14 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

2015-08-10 7:15 PM

User image

To shed a little more light on the VI of my race, here's the power zone distribution.  If you ever wonder why on a group ride the roadies keep sitting in behind the triathletes doing tempo and threshold, then start attacking the heck out of each other...only to regroup and sit back in...this is part of the reason why.  For a triathlete, almost every course you do outside of IM will involve a lot of tempo or threshold efforts.  As you can see here...it's not very useful for this particular course.  Not to say tempo and threshold doesn't build fitness...but your race isn't won or lost during a tempo or threshold effort.

(Olomana RR Power Dist.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
Olomana RR Power Dist.bmp (1454KB - 1 downloads)
2015-08-10 10:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

The triathlete also takes a look at the distance and wonders what's up with that speed! 

Always interesting seeing what's going through your mind in these races.

2015-08-11 7:11 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

To shed a little more light on the VI of my race, here's the power zone distribution.  If you ever wonder why on a group ride the roadies keep sitting in behind the triathletes doing tempo and threshold, then start attacking the heck out of each other...only to regroup and sit back in...this is part of the reason why.  For a triathlete, almost every course you do outside of IM will involve a lot of tempo or threshold efforts.  As you can see here...it's not very useful for this particular course.  Not to say tempo and threshold doesn't build fitness...but your race isn't won or lost during a tempo or threshold effort.

It's certainly the hardest part of road races for me.  The problem is twofold - 1. I'm not used to the big power spikes at all as I almost never do them and 2. I don't have the confidence that I'll be able to recover.  As a result, I tend to drift off the back when the group puts in a really big surge as most of the time I can get back on without too much trouble when they go back to soft pedaling.  This works most of the time.... until it doesn't.  

The next road race I do will be another hilly sufferfest.  Maybe I'll just go with the group as long as possible and see what happens (likely resulting in epic failure).

2015-08-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

It's certainly the hardest part of road races for me.  The problem is twofold - 1. I'm not used to the big power spikes at all as I almost never do them and 2. I don't have the confidence that I'll be able to recover.  As a result, I tend to drift off the back when the group puts in a really big surge as most of the time I can get back on without too much trouble when they go back to soft pedaling.  This works most of the time.... until it doesn't.  

The next road race I do will be another hilly sufferfest.  Maybe I'll just go with the group as long as possible and see what happens (likely resulting in epic failure).

You'll get better at it with more experience.  Decisions are not just made on how you feel, or how you think you'll recover, but also the course profile as well as knowing your competition and anticipating what they might be doing.  It's really a guessing game a lot of the time and one of the reason's I find it so fun.  You won't always make the right decision, and that's usually why the strongest guy doesn't always win.

2015-08-14 12:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by ChrisM

Thanks!

You should get a tattoo of your fixed collarbone so the hospital knows what it's SUPPOSED to look like next time they discharge you

Right?  I should post the pic my wife took of me after leaving the hospital with one shoulder drooping down, yeah "you can live like that no problem"

2 weeks in to PT, ditching the sling today 4 weeks post op (officially, I've been taking it off at work and home), PT says I have full passive ROM already, which is a really good thing.  Ribs still hurt when lying down and getting up, amazing 7 weeks in there's still pain. 

Itching to get back outside, 1/3 of the way there.  In the meantime been getting 4X/week or so recumbent sessions in, just to get a sweat up

Edited by ChrisM 2015-08-14 12:36 PM
2015-08-17 11:04 AM

User image

Seattle

I did it! I ran the 7,815' to the summit of Pikes Peak (14,115'.) It was really hard to know how it was going to go, especially with my limited exposure to that kind of elevation so my goals were a little arbitrary and with lots of wiggle room. I was hoping to crack the top 100 women and I exceeded my expectations and landed 47th. I was probably somewhere around 20th or so until 3 miles to go but we hit 12,900' and my body let me know It was the depths of hell that I imagined it would be.

With about 100' of climbing left there were some people handing out little cups of beer and I just said, "Eff it" and grabbed one. THAT was the true victory

And don't worry, there will be a full RR. I left out all the good stuff so as to not spoil it.

2015-08-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
Ontario

Just in case anyone is interested, registration just opened for IM Tremblant 70.3.  All signed up and hoping it lives up to all the hype.

2015-08-17 11:44 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by GoFaster

Just in case anyone is interested, registration just opened for IM Tremblant 70.3.  All signed up and hoping it lives up to all the hype.

I just signed up for the full

Btw, Fred biked a 5:00 yesterday.  Beast.

Edit: just a side note for those of you in the USA -- the exchange rate with Canada is pretty favorable for us right now.  Go sign up!

Edited by spudone 2015-08-17 11:49 AM
2015-08-18 5:41 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

And the 70.3 is sold out - wow, that was fast considering it's not a first or second year event anymore.  I guess it just goes to show how popular the race venue is.

On another note, raced what I think was my last Tri of the season on Sunday and had inner tube issues.  Training ride the day before had a fat tire with my latex race tube - first flat in 3 years.  Installed a backup latex tube, and my pump broke so it was not fully inflated.  Borrowed a pump in transition on race morning and 2min later the tube promptly blew on me.  Installed my spare butyl tube and same thing...Had checked the rim and tire on all 3 occasions, so I'm completely lost as to what happened.  Went and bought an 80mm butyl tube, crossed my fingers and had no issues.  The only thing that was different was I didn't use my valve extender for the one tube that didn't go pop.  Any thoughts on what was going on?  An awful lot of stress for me in the morning and I barely made it to the start line in time.

2015-08-18 6:33 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

And the 70.3 is sold out - wow, that was fast considering it's not a first or second year event anymore.  I guess it just goes to show how popular the race venue is.

On another note, raced what I think was my last Tri of the season on Sunday and had inner tube issues.  Training ride the day before had a fat tire with my latex race tube - first flat in 3 years.  Installed a backup latex tube, and my pump broke so it was not fully inflated.  Borrowed a pump in transition on race morning and 2min later the tube promptly blew on me.  Installed my spare butyl tube and same thing...Had checked the rim and tire on all 3 occasions, so I'm completely lost as to what happened.  Went and bought an 80mm butyl tube, crossed my fingers and had no issues.  The only thing that was different was I didn't use my valve extender for the one tube that didn't go pop.  Any thoughts on what was going on?  An awful lot of stress for me in the morning and I barely made it to the start line in time.

At least that settles my debate on whether or not I do that race next year.    It really is a great venue Neil, you'll really enjoy it!

Sucks on the tube issue, there is nothing worst than pre-race stress like that!!  Glad that it held up for the race at least.

2015-08-18 6:36 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran

No idea on the tire. Very bizarre

MT70.3 is VERY popular locally and there are lots of people that come from all over to do it. Ironman is getting more and more local coverage. So you get lots of people from Montreal, lots from Ottawa, many from Toronto and then add on all the Americans and some Europeans.

2015-08-18 6:37 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I did it! I ran the 7,815' to the summit of Pikes Peak (14,115'.) It was really hard to know how it was going to go, especially with my limited exposure to that kind of elevation so my goals were a little arbitrary and with lots of wiggle room. I was hoping to crack the top 100 women and I exceeded my expectations and landed 47th. I was probably somewhere around 20th or so until 3 miles to go but we hit 12,900' and my body let me know It was the depths of hell that I imagined it would be.

With about 100' of climbing left there were some people handing out little cups of beer and I just said, "Eff it" and grabbed one. THAT was the true victory

And don't worry, there will be a full RR. I left out all the good stuff so as to not spoil it.

Wow, that's super impressive, I can't wait to read about it.

Your race reports are becoming a bad influence on me.  On the weekend during my run I got this foolish idea that I should do a local 25k trail race next year.  My wife thought I was insane (and so do I).  

2015-08-18 6:38 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

I just signed up for the full

Btw, Fred biked a 5:00 yesterday.  Beast.

Edit: just a side note for those of you in the USA -- the exchange rate with Canada is pretty favorable for us right now.  Go sign up!

and the reverse of that is that it is now crazy expensive for us Canadians to race in the USA!  Someone posted what they paid to sign up for Lake Placid and the conversion of that in CAD was over $1200

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).