of 97

2015-08-18 7:14 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I did it! I ran the 7,815' to the summit of Pikes Peak (14,115'.) It was really hard to know how it was going to go, especially with my limited exposure to that kind of elevation so my goals were a little arbitrary and with lots of wiggle room. I was hoping to crack the top 100 women and I exceeded my expectations and landed 47th. I was probably somewhere around 20th or so until 3 miles to go but we hit 12,900' and my body let me know It was the depths of hell that I imagined it would be.

With about 100' of climbing left there were some people handing out little cups of beer and I just said, "Eff it" and grabbed one. THAT was the true victory

And don't worry, there will be a full RR. I left out all the good stuff so as to not spoil it.

Wow, that's super impressive, I can't wait to read about it.

Your race reports are becoming a bad influence on me.  On the weekend during my run I got this foolish idea that I should do a local 25k trail race next year.  My wife thought I was insane (and so do I).  

That's just a little over a half marathon!

2015-08-18 7:17 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster

And the 70.3 is sold out - wow, that was fast considering it's not a first or second year event anymore.  I guess it just goes to show how popular the race venue is.

On another note, raced what I think was my last Tri of the season on Sunday and had inner tube issues.  Training ride the day before had a fat tire with my latex race tube - first flat in 3 years.  Installed a backup latex tube, and my pump broke so it was not fully inflated.  Borrowed a pump in transition on race morning and 2min later the tube promptly blew on me.  Installed my spare butyl tube and same thing...Had checked the rim and tire on all 3 occasions, so I'm completely lost as to what happened.  Went and bought an 80mm butyl tube, crossed my fingers and had no issues.  The only thing that was different was I didn't use my valve extender for the one tube that didn't go pop.  Any thoughts on what was going on?  An awful lot of stress for me in the morning and I barely made it to the start line in time.

Were you finding a hole in the flat tires? If you kept the tubes that is.

2015-08-18 7:35 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

I did it! I ran the 7,815' to the summit of Pikes Peak (14,115'.) It was really hard to know how it was going to go, especially with my limited exposure to that kind of elevation so my goals were a little arbitrary and with lots of wiggle room. I was hoping to crack the top 100 women and I exceeded my expectations and landed 47th. I was probably somewhere around 20th or so until 3 miles to go but we hit 12,900' and my body let me know It was the depths of hell that I imagined it would be.

With about 100' of climbing left there were some people handing out little cups of beer and I just said, "Eff it" and grabbed one. THAT was the true victory

And don't worry, there will be a full RR. I left out all the good stuff so as to not spoil it.

Your race reports are becoming a bad influence on me.  On the weekend during my run I got this foolish idea that I should do a local 25k trail race next year.  My wife thought I was insane (and so do I).  

I know, how hard could it be right?  

I've got a buddy that is a 2:50 marathon runner (so a 4:04/km pace) that did the 25k  trail run in 1:58 (a 4:44/km pace).  That scares me a bit.  

2015-08-18 8:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

I've got a buddy that is a 2:50 marathon runner (so a 4:04/km pace) that did the 25k  trail run in 1:58 (a 4:44/km pace).  That scares me a bit.  

That actually makes it sound more fun.

2015-08-18 10:53 AM

User image

Seattle

That actually makes it sound more fun.

Exactly! For ballparking your time at Pikes Peak (half marathon distance ) they recommend taking your MARATHON time, adding 30 minutes and then an additional 15 minutes if you live near sea level.
2015-08-18 12:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

2015-08-18 1:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by AsalzwedExactly! For ballparking your time at Pikes Peak (half marathon distance ) they recommend taking your MARATHON time, adding 30 minutes and then an additional 15 minutes if you live near sea level.

You probably forgot to add an additional 3 minutes for every pound that you are overweight...LOL.

2015-08-18 3:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by AsalzwedExactly! For ballparking your time at Pikes Peak (half marathon distance ) they recommend taking your MARATHON time, adding 30 minutes and then an additional 15 minutes if you live near sea level.

You probably forgot to add an additional 3 minutes for every pound that you are overweight...LOL.

Oh gawd could you imagine the effect a statement like that in the race info would do to a bunch of type A, obsessive runners?

Let's see, I want to improve my time by 45 minutes. That's just 15 lb!

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-08-18 3:05 PM
2015-08-18 4:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Oh gawd could you imagine the effect a statement like that in the race info would do to a bunch of type A, obsessive runners?

Let's see, I want to improve my time by 45 minutes. That's just 15 lb!

Think of the restroom problems that would create on the way up. Or maybe not.

2015-08-18 5:05 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

And the 70.3 is sold out - wow, that was fast considering it's not a first or second year event anymore.  I guess it just goes to show how popular the race venue is.

On another note, raced what I think was my last Tri of the season on Sunday and had inner tube issues.  Training ride the day before had a fat tire with my latex race tube - first flat in 3 years.  Installed a backup latex tube, and my pump broke so it was not fully inflated.  Borrowed a pump in transition on race morning and 2min later the tube promptly blew on me.  Installed my spare butyl tube and same thing...Had checked the rim and tire on all 3 occasions, so I'm completely lost as to what happened.  Went and bought an 80mm butyl tube, crossed my fingers and had no issues.  The only thing that was different was I didn't use my valve extender for the one tube that didn't go pop.  Any thoughts on what was going on?  An awful lot of stress for me in the morning and I barely made it to the start line in time.

Kept the tubes, but haven't had a chance to investigate.  Just found a tear in the sidewall, with the current tube sticking out a bit - feeling pretty lucky I didn't end up in the SAG wagon during the race.

2015-08-19 5:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Kept the tubes, but haven't had a chance to investigate.  Just found a tear in the sidewall, with the current tube sticking out a bit - feeling pretty lucky I didn't end up in the SAG wagon during the race.

Indeed, good thing you caught that!

2015-08-21 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Can a tear in the sidewall be repaired?  It's not big, but I assume it just won't have the strength as the rest of the tire and may be suceptible to another puncture.  Haven't looked at the 2 latex tubes, but would you repair and race on those? 

2015-08-21 8:24 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Can a tear in the sidewall be repaired?  It's not big, but I assume it just won't have the strength as the rest of the tire and may be suceptible to another puncture.  Haven't looked at the 2 latex tubes, but would you repair and race on those? 

I have a tire with a sidewall tear from a few weeks ago.  It's going to be my trainer tire for the winter as I don't think I could trust it on the road.

As for the latex tubes, I tried repairing one once and while it worked, when I looked at it I could see that right around the patch the tube had stretched quite a bit and would likely have failed at some point.  I've read of people using a chunk of one latex tube to patch a hole in another one.  I might try that.

2015-08-21 10:17 AM

User image

Tires with even the smallest hole in the sidewall go in the trash for me.  It's just not worth it unless you ride on flat empty bike paths.  Sidewall failures tend to result in "explosion" type flats where all the air is lost at once.  The one fear I have with a sidewalk blowout is that the tire also blows off the rim and jams in the brake caliper.  I've seen it happen, and the result is not pretty if it's your front wheel. 

2015-08-21 12:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Ontario

Had a feeling those were going to be the responses.  That just became a very expensive race morning.

2015-08-22 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

So I think I mentioned I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my third metatarsal a couple weeks ago.  When I went to to doctor, I heard, "wear the boot for two weeks, and then you'll be all fixed and will be able to start running again."  I'm pretty sure he didn't actually state that!  I went back earlier this week and he said another week in the boot (maybe two if I can't walk pain-free) and 4-5 weeks before I can start introducing running back into my training.  Obviously a big bummer.

I'm registered to race Miami 70.3 at the end of October.  If I can't even start running until the middle/end of September, even after having done a lot of aqua jogging, I'm really concerned about being able to build my run volume up in time without hurting myself again.  Racing Miami was never about "completing" -- I actually wanted to race hard and see what I'm capable of.  That's basically out the window now.

The most disappointing part is that my work schedule is going to be very unpredictable and busy from February through at least June of next year, so I won't be racing and have no idea how much time I'll have to train.  

Anyways, all that to say I'm considering finding a January race to do instead.  This time right now can be my off season, and should give me plenty of time to heal and build up again.  I was all ready to sign up for Pucon 70.3 because I've wanted to do the race for years, but could never psych myself up for a January race....turns out it's very popular and is sold out!  Going to Australia or South Africa would be prohibitively expensive, but there's a race in Panama City, Panama -- it happens to be the Pan American Pro Championship race and is still open for registration.  Has anyone done that race or heard anything about it?

2015-08-22 1:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a friend that did it in 2013 and liked it.

Of course there is the time Lance did it, his very first half.

Hot and humid
2015-08-22 5:19 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tab knows a friend of a friend that did Panama.  She doesn't know the details but didn't hear any complaints!

I did a sprint tri this morning, finished in 10th OA, 5th AG.  Swim wasn't wetsuit legal, only the second time that has happened at a race I've done around here.  Swim was just fair for me, I was swimming with the lead group of 4 when I decided to tuck in behind them and then poof, they were gone.  In about 15 seconds I went from easily swimming beside them to being unable to stay on their feet, it was really weird.

Bike went awesome, felt strong and smooth the whole way and worked my way up to 2nd by the end with the 3rd fastest split behind a pro and a KQ guy.

Then the run.  I had nothing.  I don't think I over biked as that's a different feeling in the legs.  I just had nothing to give.  Had I run what I think I should have been able to I would have finished 4th or 5th.  Gotta get that run fixed up for a HM in October.

Tomorrow a 60k bike race (if the weather cooperates) with 3500-4000 feet of elevation.    #sometimesIdodumbthings

2015-08-25 8:47 AM

User image

Haven't done the race but was there the week before it in 2014. Or maybe after.... it's hot. As in HOT. As in ohmygod hot. So if you can acclimate. BuT you can go watch ships go through the locks, which is very cool
2015-08-25 4:22 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Any attorneys in the group ?

I have a legal tri thought/question.

With all this discussion of cheats, if a person gets a KQ and say after the race it was proven they cheated to get it and denied another person of it.

What prevents the other person from suing the cheater ?

Is this still within the SBR U charter ?

2015-08-25 5:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Probably a hard case to win when you consider the cheater can claim ignorance.  I didn't know I cut the course, or I didn't know that my supplements were on the banned list.  If the cheating violation was not found in a timely manner to properly award the Kona spot, then maybe you sue the race director?  Not sure how that would turn out or if that is the desired result.

2015-08-25 5:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

Probably a hard case to win when you consider the cheater can claim ignorance.  I didn't know I cut the course, or I didn't know that my supplements were on the banned list.  If the cheating violation was not found in a timely manner to properly award the Kona spot, then maybe you sue the race director?  Not sure how that would turn out or if that is the desired result.

Let's assume I could prove it without reasonable doubt that it was done intentionally.
Legally, what prevents a lawsuit from happening ?

2015-08-25 6:14 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Well...from my little knowledge of the law...nothing prevents you from suing anyone for anything.

Usually the biggest hurdle though is ensuring the end result (verdict or settlement) is worth more than the legal cost as well as your personal time and effort.  How much is a KQ spot worth in the eyes of the court, and will you see a dime of it even if the ruling is in your favor?

2015-08-26 12:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Let's assume I could prove it without reasonable doubt that it was done intentionally. Legally, what prevents a lawsuit from happening ?
At least one attorney in here. legally you need a cause of action. No breach of contract, no negligence (no duty), you can sue for conversion of property (civil theft) but a kona slot isn't property. In short, there is no legal right to protect any more than the right to stand on the top podium and collect a bigger medal at your local sprint (there may be more cache to kona but unless you can claim you earn money that way and therefore were somehow damaged financially, the effect is the same- actually they saved you money. ) Even if there was a cognizable cause of action, you'd be lacking the necessary element of tangible injury

Edited by ChrisM 2015-08-26 12:07 AM
2015-08-26 7:27 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tab knows a friend of a friend that did Panama.  She doesn't know the details but didn't hear any complaints!

Ok so Tab actually talked to her about it yesterday and in fact she said she wouldn't recommend it.  It was really hot (you knew that) but she also said the city was pretty dirty and gross where they ran.  The bike was pretty boring, I think she said 3 laps on a causeway?  Not sure on that.  Anyway, she said it wasn't one she would ever do again.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).