of 97

2015-08-26 7:46 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by axteraa

Tab knows a friend of a friend that did Panama.  She doesn't know the details but didn't hear any complaints!

I did a sprint tri this morning, finished in 10th OA, 5th AG.  Swim wasn't wetsuit legal, only the second time that has happened at a race I've done around here.  Swim was just fair for me, I was swimming with the lead group of 4 when I decided to tuck in behind them and then poof, they were gone.  In about 15 seconds I went from easily swimming beside them to being unable to stay on their feet, it was really weird.

Bike went awesome, felt strong and smooth the whole way and worked my way up to 2nd by the end with the 3rd fastest split behind a pro and a KQ guy.

Then the run.  I had nothing.  I don't think I over biked as that's a different feeling in the legs.  I just had nothing to give.  Had I run what I think I should have been able to I would have finished 4th or 5th.  Gotta get that run fixed up for a HM in October.

Tomorrow a 60k bike race (if the weather cooperates) with 3500-4000 feet of elevation.    #sometimesIdodumbthings

Interesting comment on the running Arend.  This year has seen me do the most running I`ve actually done YTD, but it was likely my weakest race season - no speed in the legs.  For me, I really think that less intensity was partly to blame.  I did intervals, etc., but when I've been able to race well is when I put my body under pressure in training and it then seems capable of the same during the race. I need to practise suffering...

2015-08-26 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Tab knows a friend of a friend that did Panama.  She doesn't know the details but didn't hear any complaints!

Ok so Tab actually talked to her about it yesterday and in fact she said she wouldn't recommend it.  It was really hot (you knew that) but she also said the city was pretty dirty and gross where they ran.  The bike was pretty boring, I think she said 3 laps on a causeway?  Not sure on that.  Anyway, she said it wasn't one she would ever do again.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've found a potential avenue into Pucon 70.3, which is one of those races I've wanted to do for a long time, but could never justify a January race.  If that all pans out, I'll pull the trigger on it.  If not, I'll have to decide if Panama is still worth considering, or if there's another (non-WTC) race....or if I should forego racing altogether (which would be a bummer).

2015-08-26 12:37 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Aquabike

2015-08-26 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ok so Tab actually talked to her about it yesterday and in fact she said she wouldn't recommend it.  It was really hot (you knew that) but she also said the city was pretty dirty and gross where they ran.  The bike was pretty boring, I think she said 3 laps on a causeway?  Not sure on that.  Anyway, she said it wasn't one she would ever do again.

Thanks for the feedback.  I've found a potential avenue into Pucon 70.3, which is one of those races I've wanted to do for a long time, but could never justify a January race.  If that all pans out, I'll pull the trigger on it.  If not, I'll have to decide if Panama is still worth considering, or if there's another (non-WTC) race....or if I should forego racing altogether (which would be a bummer).

Non-WTC, Israman is on my bucket list
2015-08-26 12:46 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM
At least one attorney in here. legally you need a cause of action. No breach of contract, no negligence (no duty), you can sue for conversion of property (civil theft) but a kona slot isn't property. In short, there is no legal right to protect any more than the right to stand on the top podium and collect a bigger medal at your local sprint (there may be more cache to kona but unless you can claim you earn money that way and therefore were somehow damaged financially, the effect is the same- actually they saved you money. ) Even if there was a cognizable cause of action, you'd be lacking the necessary element of tangible injury

Thanks Chris,
2015-08-26 2:48 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag

Looks like the half still has the big climb on the bike!

2015-08-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Looks like the half still has the big climb on the bike!

Israel is one of those places you have to go in a lifetime. I used to work for an Israeli company so got to go more frequently.

I will visit again. Nightlife in Tel Aviv is amazing. Jerusalem is a must and then of course there is Israman.
2015-08-26 3:53 PM

User image

Yeah, Panama City is kind of a dump

2015-08-26 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Aquabike

Doing an aquabike at the end of September.  Miami was never about just finishing....I'm not going to waste my time or money to do an aquabike there. 

Speaking of aquabike events -- do you cross a finish line or anything at the end?  Or just blaze into T2 and get the chip timing info?

2015-08-26 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Also on my list of races to do, but I think that falls under the "prohibitively expensive" category for right now!  Plus, I don't know that I'd want to go solo (not for safety reasons, but for nightlife reasons).

Edit: turns out flying to Tel Aviv is cheaper (significantly) than flying to Pucon.  WTF?  Maybe another consideration....this is feeling like a slippery slope!

Edited by ligersandtions 2015-08-26 4:45 PM
2015-08-26 4:51 PM

Master
Northern IL

Aquabike

Doing an aquabike at the end of September.  Miami was never about just finishing....I'm not going to waste my time or money to do an aquabike there. 

Speaking of aquabike events -- do you cross a finish line or anything at the end?  Or just blaze into T2 and get the chip timing info?

Blaze into T2 for the ones I've done. Sometimes the let (or even encourage) you put on some run shoes and trot across the big finish line. Get some more photos that way. And the food. They're usually not as populated, so there hasn't been a rush to T2

2015-08-26 5:00 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Aquabike

Blaze into T2 for the ones I've done. Sometimes the let (or even encourage) you put on some run shoes and trot across the big finish line. Get some more photos that way. And the food. They're usually not as populated, so there hasn't been a rush to T2

The only race I've been at that had one you had to run about 150m from T2 to the finish line.  Some people wore shoes, some didn't...

2015-08-30 6:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Per Strava this past week Rusty rode 3x as often as I did, and even though my mileage total is ~3x as much as his I'm pretty sure all he'll notice is that our climbing totals are about the same. 

2015-09-01 10:38 AM

User image

Seattle

Per Strava this past week Rusty rode 3x as often as I did, and even though my mileage total is ~3x as much as his I'm pretty sure all he'll notice is that our climbing totals are about the same. 

Haha nice! How much climbing?
2015-09-01 11:02 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

About 6,800 ft. It's basically all various rolling terrain at the south part of the state.

2015-09-01 11:13 AM

User image

Seattle

About 6,800 ft. It's basically all various rolling terrain at the south part of the state.

Awesome. Did you have to manually shift ^2 on that bike?

2015-09-01 11:16 AM

User image

Seattle

Speaking of climbing, a fellow BTer and I ran about 100 miles on the PCT over about 2.5 days. It ended up being something like 18,000' of climbing or so (BTW he is from Scottsdale AZ LOL

Lots of logistics, routing and rerouting but it all ended up working out. I am pulling together photos and (gasp) data to post in a more formal way to share with everyone. Stay tuned. 

2015-09-01 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Finally got some good news from the doctor!  After over five weeks of not running due to my stress fracture, I can slowly start introducing some fast walking and slow jogging back....as long as it doesn't bother my foot, I can start adding in more running.

I've written off Miami 70.3 altogether and am about 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on Pucon 70.3.  It's sold out, but Endurance Sports Travel has a group going and they haven't yet opened reservations, so as long as it's not ridiculously expensive, I'll be signing up to go with them!

2015-09-01 4:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Awesome. Did you have to manually shift ^2 on that bike?

Late in the ride I just left it in the middle ring. It's a 42T and had enough range each way. It was grinding too much in the big ring.

2015-09-02 4:59 PM

User image

Seattle

I've made kind of a special race report for our big run. If you want full effect, please right click the link to the playlist and open it in another tab while you read 

It's long. But lots of photos! You may need provisions before you start. I recommend a nice hoppy IPA made with NW hops if possible

2015-09-02 5:02 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've made kind of a special race report for our big run. If you want full effect, please right click the link to the playlist and open it in another tab while you read 

It's long. But lots of photos! You may need provisions before you start. I recommend a nice hoppy IPA made with NW hops if possible

I'm currently drinking a nice Zinfandel.  Appropriate or should I save it for a beer night?

2015-09-02 5:05 PM

User image

Seattle

I'm currently drinking a nice Zinfandel.  Appropriate or should I save it for a beer night?

Well, since you are on the metric system it's OK by me.

2015-09-02 5:31 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My mind is completely blown.  I cannot imagine what that was like!  I'm going to have to read it again in the absence of the Vino.  

2015-09-02 5:38 PM

User image

Seattle

My mind is completely blown.  I cannot imagine what that was like!  I'm going to have to read it again in the absence of the Vino.  

Take a cheese grater and run it across the bottoms of you feet, backs of your heels, Achilles and your shoulder blades. Then don't sit down for 32 hours straight. That might be pretty close

Naaaah I keed I keed. It was really quite wonderful.

2015-09-02 5:42 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

It really does sound incredible.  

So, you are out there for 16 hours running....  what do you talk about?     I said that to my wife and her first response was "Beer", little did she know!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).