Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-09-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Marc - thanks for that last post.  Gives me lots to think about.

Also, the speed increase you found for the guy at the F1 track.  Think we need to organize an SBR "U" day at the track!!

2015-09-17 8:11 AM
in reply to: Annie1234

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would take the running slowly and focus on building up the swim and bike more aggressively, since those are low-impact and there is less chance of injury. I know a lot of triathletes neglect the swim (relatively speaking) as it's a short portion of the race (especially at iron distance) but personally I think it's a great way to get "free" conditioning, particularly if you're building up from very low activity levels and limited general fitness. I

've been active all my life, but didn't do much consistent training in my thirties due mostly to where I was living (Beijing) and health issues (asthma and repeated bouts of respiratory illnesses). I didn't start training regularly again until I turned forty and moved here, close to the same time. At first I was just running and really struggled with a lot of minor injuries and not being able to build volume or intensity much. Then I joined a master's swim program (highly recommended if you have access to one) 3-4 days a week, which really helped my overall fitness, and eventually got into tri at 41. It took a few years before I could handle much run volume or speed work, but I think the swimming (and later biking) helped build my aerobic base so I could run well on relatively low mileage once I was able to build up run volume and intensity more after a few years of training.
2015-09-17 8:35 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Marc - thanks for that last post.  Gives me lots to think about.

Also, the speed increase you found for the guy at the F1 track.  Think we need to organize an SBR "U" day at the track!!

He had a set of zipp 404s with Michelin tires. He tested my wheels (HED) with 4000s, latex, disc cover, tri top (LG), so all stuff this group knows about. But what was good was we properly measured and went back and forth, so the gains, so them disappear. So they were very real.
There was room for position changes but not so close to the race. But the F1 track is a nice place to test
2015-09-20 7:25 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Anyone see Lionel Sanders recent video blog on how much he plans to drink at Kona?  Seems insane to me, but he's obviously testing it - just can't imagine getting through that many liquids.

http://lsanderstri.com/

2015-09-20 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I did AG worlds yesterday. Rough, rough day. I completely screwed up the swim. While time is average I came out of the water completely zonked.

Run was long (10.7 km), bike was short (I think), swim seemed right.

What's weird is my swim fitness has been ok, and I swam a 1500m Friday really well. Maybe it was too much to eat for breakfast, or A team uniform that was very constricting around the chest but I swore I was stopping when I got out of the water.

My Garmin captures HR on the swim and it was through the roof, which is really weird. I did a few OWS faster than that at 20BPM lower. It took me 20km into the bike to get it under control.

I never recovered. I did the rest of the race at HIM power and HIM run pace and even that was rough. Oh well, live & learn.

Really happy to see the Elites race and met several cool people : Barrie Shepley, Emma Snowsill, Mario Mola, Bob Babbitt, Jan Frodeno's Olympic coach, Greg Welsh and said hi to Andrew Messick :-)

Very questionable value being part of Team Canada.

2015-09-20 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Anyone see Lionel Sanders recent video blog on how much he plans to drink at Kona?  Seems insane to me, but he's obviously testing it - just can't imagine getting through that many liquids.

My bet is Lionel does not go top 10 at Kona. I hope I am wrong, but sometimes I think he's just a monster athlete with a huge engine but he needs to be coached. He is doing on his own and I suspect trial and error is not the way to go. Mcmahon (spelling?) will be the top Canadian. One of the guys coaching Team Canada is actually one of the guys that was testing Lionel.

As I mentioned I met Jan Frodeno's Beijing coach over breakfast. Super nice guy. He has no doubt that barring a mechanical issue Jan will will Kona and he is also a big Kienle fan.

2015-09-20 12:10 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

My bet is Lionel does not go top 10 at Kona. I hope I am wrong, but sometimes I think he's just a monster athlete with a huge engine but he needs to be coached. He is doing on his own and I suspect trial and error is not the way to go. Mcmahon (spelling?) will be the top Canadian. One of the guys coaching Team Canada is actually one of the guys that was testing Lionel. As I mentioned I met Jan Frodeno's Beijing coach over breakfast. Super nice guy. He has no doubt that barring a mechanical issue Jan will will Kona and he is also a big Kienle fan.

I thought Barrie Shepley was his coach?

I agree with you though, I suspect he'll have a tough day with an epic implosion.  

2015-09-20 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag I did AG worlds yesterday. Rough, rough day. I completely screwed up the swim. While time is average I came out of the water completely zonked. Run was long (10.7 km), bike was short (I think), swim seemed right. What's weird is my swim fitness has been ok, and I swam a 1500m Friday really well. Maybe it was too much to eat for breakfast, or A team uniform that was very constricting around the chest but I swore I was stopping when I got out of the water. My Garmin captures HR on the swim and it was through the roof, which is really weird. I did a few OWS faster than that at 20BPM lower. It took me 20km into the bike to get it under control. I never recovered. I did the rest of the race at HIM power and HIM run pace and even that was rough. Oh well, live & learn. Really happy to see the Elites race and met several cool people : Barrie Shepley, Emma Snowsill, Mario Mola, Bob Babbitt, Jan Frodeno's Olympic coach, Greg Welsh and said hi to Andrew Messick :-) Very questionable value being part of Team Canada.

Too bad about the race Marc.    It sucks when you have a mysterious off day like that on race day.

2015-09-20 4:45 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcag I did AG worlds yesterday. Rough, rough day. I completely screwed up the swim. While time is average I came out of the water completely zonked. Run was long (10.7 km), bike was short (I think), swim seemed right. What's weird is my swim fitness has been ok, and I swam a 1500m Friday really well. Maybe it was too much to eat for breakfast, or A team uniform that was very constricting around the chest but I swore I was stopping when I got out of the water. My Garmin captures HR on the swim and it was through the roof, which is really weird. I did a few OWS faster than that at 20BPM lower. It took me 20km into the bike to get it under control. I never recovered. I did the rest of the race at HIM power and HIM run pace and even that was rough. Oh well, live & learn. Really happy to see the Elites race and met several cool people : Barrie Shepley, Emma Snowsill, Mario Mola, Bob Babbitt, Jan Frodeno's Olympic coach, Greg Welsh and said hi to Andrew Messick :-) Very questionable value being part of Team Canada.

Too bad about the race Marc.    It sucks when you have a mysterious off day like that on race day.

How were the conditions? Nice wind from the north yesterday. Also had seen beach warnings show up. 4-8 ft waves possible which could also mean some rip currents.

2015-09-20 4:49 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

My bet is Lionel does not go top 10 at Kona. I hope I am wrong, but sometimes I think he's just a monster athlete with a huge engine but he needs to be coached. He is doing on his own and I suspect trial and error is not the way to go. Mcmahon (spelling?) will be the top Canadian. One of the guys coaching Team Canada is actually one of the guys that was testing Lionel. As I mentioned I met Jan Frodeno's Beijing coach over breakfast. Super nice guy. He has no doubt that barring a mechanical issue Jan will will Kona and he is also a big Kienle fan.

I agree with you though, I suspect he'll have a tough day with an epic implosion.  

I think so too, but wonder how much control of the workouts he has?

He'll be fun to watch as he's such a prospect with this, but ultimately agree with you guys. Just don't think he's figured out Ironman well enough yet. Maybe not very well at all. How good has he really done at one yet? Outside of the non-swim Florida that is.

2015-09-20 5:00 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

How were the conditions? Nice wind from the north yesterday. Also had seen beach warnings show up. 4-8 ft waves possible which could also mean some rip currents.

The wind from the North was there but we spend a lot of time in that underground so probably half the time we were outdoor and half of that time against the wind

The time underground sucked big time. Lots of 180 adnd 90 deg turns, lots of people, bad roads, poor lighting. They could do better IMO for a WC course.

The swim was pretty choppy. The waves weren't huge but I was being tossed around a lot. I think it was a combination of things for me on the swim.

But it was a good experience. I enjoyed the run and soaked in the atmosphere.

2015-09-20 5:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran

He'll be fun to watch as he's such a prospect with this, but ultimately agree with you guys. Just don't think he's figured out Ironman well enough yet. Maybe not very well at all. How good has he really done at one yet? Outside of the non-swim Florida that is.

I think Barry is an advisor but not his coach. Almost sure he's not coached.
2015-09-20 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Would make sense.  But Lionel should also be smarter about this stuff - he just needs to look at Cody Beals and see someone who came up the ranks with him and is more scientifc/smarter about his total approach and how far he's come as a result (less talent/great results - but still not comparable to Lionel).  I've met Barry on a couple of occasions and he's a super guy to talk to, but he's one of those guys who can pull you in and mesmorize you a bit.  I think he really hypes of Lionel to the public, and I can only think he likely does something similar to Lionel as well.  Put a great coach behind Lionel, give him a year, and it would be interesting to see how much more he could close the gap to the Pro's that have been doing this their whole lives.

2015-09-20 7:59 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Wish the swim had gone better for you Marc - obviously sets up what you experienced with a rough day for the rest of it.  Glad you got to at least soak in the atmosphere for some of the race.

Question.  I know you love metrics, since wearing the new Garmin strap has HR data affected how you approach your swim at all?

2015-09-21 5:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question.  I know you love metrics, since wearing the new Garmin strap has HR data affected how you approach your swim at all?

Not at all. I have only worn it in OWS and while the data is interesting you can't really be guided by it. I did notice my swim HR is quite a bit lower than bike or run on what feels like a normal effort. For example, I will be 135 on the swim, 144 on the bike and 150 on the run for about the same effort. I have felt really tired on the swim and my HR was only 142. I would be 158 on the run to feel the same,

My swim this weekend I did hit 165 and I averaged 155 so there was something going on but at one point I think I was more thrashing than anything. It was weird I kept saying to myself, just do long strokes as if you were doing an easy 50 between sets, but I could not relax. A restrictive kit, under a restrictive wetsuit may be part of the problem. I downed a full bottle of UCAN before the start and definitely felt my stomach was a mess. But I think it's a combination of things. My stroke rate was also quite high so maybe the adrenaline got the better of me.

Edited by marcag 2015-09-21 6:48 AM
2015-09-21 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There was a thread going recently about swim HR and I think a few of the coach types mentioned it is typically quite a bit lower than bike and run. Makes sense as there isn't heat stress (well, normally, though I swear there was in my last Singapore race--it's the first and only time I've ever felt uncomfortably hot on a tri swim, even in the tropics) and one isn't fighting gravity. But I could see how factors like feeling constricted, lots of contact, or choppy water might cause it to increase.

I had similar issues at my last race (probably the last one of the season for me; there just aren't any more I can get to without taking personal days I don't have)--too much breakfast, crappy swim (jn my case, a perfect storm of poorly designed, very crowded course and the way I always start too slowly), which then led to a crappy run, feeling very nauseous the whole way. My swim is way faster when I can swim in the clear and just do my own pace (HIM at 1:43/100m pace and a couple other swims close to that, which is not far off my best pool times) but how often can that happen in a typical tri, esp. for women? (At least here in SE Asia, we almost always start last and then have to work our way through the BOP guys.) I've found it really is true that a bad swim can sometimes mess up the whole race; even more true for a swim-run race. Have GOT to learn to somehow get out faster or at least more strategically so I can have consistently good swims.

2015-09-22 8:01 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Who's running shorter cranks in the group?  Starting to think about if I should consider making a move to anything from 155-165mm (currently on 172.5).

2015-09-22 11:38 AM

Master
, California

Who's running shorter cranks in the group?  Starting to think about if I should consider making a move to anything from 155-165mm (currently on 172.5).

So my first questions to you would be: what's your build and are you trying to fix a fit problem?

I ride 172.5 on my tri bike, and I'm 6'2 with long legs.  I had 170s on my road bike for awhile and even that always felt weird to me.  I can't imagine going with less.  It's just engaging the muscles in a smaller range and feels like I'm not getting all the leverage and power that I could have, or at least not as comfortably.

For what it's worth, when I was fitting, I tried out 175s and that put my knees up a little too high for the amount of drop I had on the bars.  So if you're playing around with that, maybe look into the cranks, otherwise personally I would not.

2015-09-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

So my first questions to you would be: what's your build and are you trying to fix a fit problem?

I ride 172.5 on my tri bike, and I'm 6'2 with long legs.  I had 170s on my road bike for awhile and even that always felt weird to me.  I can't imagine going with less.  It's just engaging the muscles in a smaller range and feels like I'm not getting all the leverage and power that I could have, or at least not as comfortably.

For what it's worth, when I was fitting, I tried out 175s and that put my knees up a little too high for the amount of drop I had on the bars.  So if you're playing around with that, maybe look into the cranks, otherwise personally I would not.

Mark's question is valid. What are your trying to fix ?

I run 165s and really like them.
2015-09-22 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Mark's question is valid. What are your trying to fix ? I run 165s and really like them.

I asked earlier about making power improvements over the winter - the second part of that equation is position improvements.  To answer Mark's question - I'm just under 6'1 with long legs, short torso.  I'm on a Speed Concept, size Large and I don't know that I fit it properly, but have made do with the way it is.  That said, I know my position leaves a lot to be desired.  One of the areas I find is a bit problematic are my hip flexors, and I wonder if they are too closed off.

So, I'm considering the shorter cranks for a couple of reasons:

1)  Open the hip angle
2)  Give me the option to try a lower position

The bars are currently about as low as they'll go (maybe one small spacer left), so I was thinking about buying a cheap adjustable stem so I could play with the position at the same time I tried a shorter crank. 

2015-09-23 5:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Mark's question is valid. What are your trying to fix ? I run 165s and really like them.

I asked earlier about making power improvements over the winter - the second part of that equation is position improvements.  To answer Mark's question - I'm just under 6'1 with long legs, short torso.  I'm on a Speed Concept, size Large and I don't know that I fit it properly, but have made do with the way it is.  That said, I know my position leaves a lot to be desired.  One of the areas I find is a bit problematic are my hip flexors, and I wonder if they are too closed off.

1)  Open the hip angle

The bars are currently about as low as they'll go (maybe one small spacer left), so I was thinking about buying a cheap adjustable stem so I could play with the position at the same time I tried a shorter crank. 

How much drop do you have from your saddle to pads ?

Have you considered getting fit by someone good ?

2015-09-23 7:49 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Goes very much to what you said - section in the article saying this exact thing.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2015/09/19/sink-or-swim-how-the-ironman-saved-lionel-sanders-from-himself.html

2015-09-23 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

1)  Open the hip angle

How much drop do you have from your saddle to pads ? Have you considered getting fit by someone good ?

I'll have to measure again.  Off the top of my head I believe it is about 12 cm, but will check tonight. 

Have been really thinking about getting a fit from a local guy who is quite good, but have also emailed Andy F to find out when they are testing in Milton again since they do the Retul fit at the same time - price point may be too high now, but we'll see.

2015-09-23 7:19 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Yep, 12cm drop.

2015-09-24 11:06 AM

Master
, California

Neil, I am not a Speed Concept rider, but with your build being like mine, a large probably is a bit long on the top tube for you.  You can pull things in with the stem and bars but it's something to be aware of.

I'd check your measurements here, just for general awareness:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

then go to a fitter for more detailed work.  The shorter crank arms may be worth trying, the only hesitation being the expense (esp. if you already have a crank based PM).  I haven't had an issue with my hip flexors though, so I don't know for sure.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).