BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-09-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Well, I took a little time off to recover from a big summer of mountain and trail running. I'm slowly ramping back into things.

Started out the cross country season with a shyte show of a race race report

This weekend I've go the series finale for the trail running I have been doing. I currently lead the series, but just barely http://www.webscorer.com/seriesresult?seriesid=39748 So it will be right down to the wire, exciting stuff.

I'm making a run summit attempt of Mt. Whitney next Monday, too. And then the focus will shift to XC through winter time. 

2015-09-24 5:08 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Empty track, good day for a little pre-race tune-up

Edited by spudone 2015-09-25 2:24 PM
2015-09-27 11:09 AM

Master
, California

... and I'm outta here.  My flight's at 2, off to Barcelona

2015-09-27 12:29 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good luck Mark!

2015-09-27 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

... and I'm outta here.  My flight's at 2, off to Barcelona

Have fun and best mechanical luck.
2015-09-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5079829

User image

Elite
Ontario
X3 - have a great race

2015-09-28 7:14 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Last road race of the season is done for me.  Race report is below.  tl;dr version is I finished 2nd but it's kinda like first because the guy that won was way stronger than everyone else.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=536226

2015-09-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Did a century ride yesterday that had some torrential downpours in the middle.  Hit a reflector and went down sliding on the road in an inch of water.  Small holes in my bibs and my jersey was the worst of it.  Was kind of fun except for that.  Doing a 24 hour mountain bike race next weekend, which will most likely be a 4-6 hour race for me and a 18-20 hour party.  If it rains like it did yesterday, it may be a 24 hour party.  LOL.

2015-09-28 7:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Did a century ride yesterday that had some torrential downpours in the middle.  Hit a reflector and went down sliding on the road in an inch of water.  Small holes in my bibs and my jersey was the worst of it.  Was kind of fun except for that.  Doing a 24 hour mountain bike race next weekend, which will most likely be a 4-6 hour race for me and a 18-20 hour party.  If it rains like it did yesterday, it may be a 24 hour party.  LOL.

Well the second part sounds fun at least! Are you riding straight through for the 4-6 hours? Or switching off after x laps or something?

2015-09-28 9:40 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jason N

Well the second part sounds fun at least! Are you riding straight through for the 4-6 hours? Or switching off after x laps or something?

The course is a 5-6 mile loop in a valley.  You basically do as many loops as you can in 24 hours  (9am-9am) but you can start and stop whenever you feel like it.  Only a handful of people (or teams of up to 5) actually are competing to win and the other 80 or so riders are just there to ride a little and camp out with friends.  It's all privately owned land on a ranch (we need to avoid cows and their pie) so it's an area you can't otherwise access other than this and a few other mountain bike/xterra races.

I've ridden there once before and it was pretty challenging for a mountain bike noob like myself, but that was a 20 mile race (two 10 mile loops).  I think they are removing some of the more dangerous stuff for this course to accommodate night riding as well as making sure people are not too far from help if they need it.

My goal is to ride as much during daylight as I can but I'm not kidding myself either.  I'm just there to have fun and hopefully get a little better on the mountain bike (I'm borrowing).

2015-09-29 7:08 AM

Master
, California
I arrived in one piece but British Air lost my wheel bag. Finally got that ironed out (long story) and it is supposedly being delivered to my hotel. Fingers crossed for the disc.I've been hanging out in town a bit. The weather is almost perfect temp for racing, so I hope it holds up.

https://goo.gl/photos/t42swTHxxJuadkjG7

Edited by spudone 2015-09-29 7:10 AM

2015-09-29 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I've been MIA for a bit -- work decided to block BT (apparently they don't think it's business-related....hah!) and I'm generally training in the evening, so don't sign on.  But I just raced an aquabike on Sunday, so have taken the last two days easy.  I had a really good race and am very happy with how my biking has come along in the last few months.

RR here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=536290&posts=1#M5143940

Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with my stress fracture.  I seem to be slow to heal, so it's a real bummer.  Trying to schedule a DEXA scan and see if I can get insurance to cover a bone stimulator.  The weather in Houston is just on the verge of not sucking, so I'd like to be able to start running again....but my doc told me he wants me in the boot for another four weeks (jury's out on whether that'll happen, but I did wear it today).  Plus, I signed up for Pucon 70.3 in January, so I really should be running by now....but trying to take a long-term approach to this and not get myself injured again.  

2015-09-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I've been MIA for a bit -- work decided to block BT (apparently they don't think it's business-related....hah!) and I'm generally training in the evening, so don't sign on.  But I just raced an aquabike on Sunday, so have taken the last two days easy.  I had a really good race and am very happy with how my biking has come along in the last few months.

RR here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=536290&posts=1#M5143940

Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with my stress fracture.  I seem to be slow to heal, so it's a real bummer.  Trying to schedule a DEXA scan and see if I can get insurance to cover a bone stimulator.  The weather in Houston is just on the verge of not sucking, so I'd like to be able to start running again....but my doc told me he wants me in the boot for another four weeks (jury's out on whether that'll happen, but I did wear it today).  Plus, I signed up for Pucon 70.3 in January, so I really should be running by now....but trying to take a long-term approach to this and not get myself injured again.  

Well, hey, it sounds like you can just take the aqua bike scene by storm until then. Great job! 

2015-09-29 8:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Finished out my trail running series race report

Now, onto XC season. A few mountain things here and there until the snow comes. 

2015-09-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: #5079829

User image

Subject: RE:
I'm fat and out of shape and can't run more than 4 minutes without feeling like im gonna die.

Rode 27 ish miles last weekend and it bout killed me

Haven't even swam yet

Gonna be a tough "off season"
2015-09-30 11:21 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Seattle

My watch apparently created this with my GPS data and synced with time stamps on my photos without me having to do a damn thing (other than run of course.) What a cool way to visualize a trail running route or share specifics with friends! Technology, you're not SO bad.

Enchantments Trail Run

2015-09-30 11:43 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My watch apparently created this with my GPS data and synced with time stamps on my photos without me having to do a damn thing (other than run of course.) What a cool way to visualize a trail running route or share specifics with friends! Technology, you're not SO bad.

Enchantments Trail Run

That is beyond cool!

2015-09-30 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Technology, you're not SO bad.

I know what you need !!!

There is a drone, that communicates with a wrist band. It follows you and films you. You need that !! (seriously this exists)

I say we get a FundMe page going so we can get you one.
2015-09-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Asalzwed Technology, you're not SO bad.
I know what you need !!! There is a drone, that communicates with a wrist band. It follows you and films you. You need that !! (seriously this exists) I say we get a FundMe page going so we can get you one.

lol only if I also get a designated film editor as part of the package to delete the hours and hours of boring footage of me meandering around the backcountry taking photos. 

2015-09-30 1:41 PM

Master
, California
I know what you need !!!There is a drone, that communicates with a wrist band. It follows you and films you. You need that !! (seriously this exists)I say we get a FundMe page going so we can get you one.
Not to be trusted! We had to sign that waiver for possible death and dismemberment by drone during the Alcatraz race. I heard they tried to take out Arend and Chris on the swim but the drone couldn't keep up
2015-09-30 1:47 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I know what you need !!!There is a drone, that communicates with a wrist band. It follows you and films you. You need that !! (seriously this exists)I say we get a FundMe page going so we can get you one.
Not to be trusted! We had to sign that waiver for possible death and dismemberment by drone during the Alcatraz race. I heard they tried to take out Arend and Chris on the swim but the drone couldn't keep up

That drone was the first thing I saw when I popped up out of the water after jumping off.

Did they ever publish any video from that? I don't recall seeing any.

2015-09-30 2:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thought Chris was waterpolo, so shouldn't this be an advantage?

2015-09-30 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I know what you need !!! There is a drone, that communicates with a wrist band. It follows you and films you. You need that !! (seriously this exists) I say we get a FundMe page going so we can get you one.

I got drone whacked on a run a few weeks back, dang thing hit me in the back of the head.  So count me in the "anti-drone" group.  Or at least in the group of people that believes there should be a class given before someone flies their drone in public.

2015-09-30 5:06 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

I got drone whacked on a run a few weeks back, dang thing hit me in the back of the head.  So count me in the "anti-drone" group.  Or at least in the group of people that believes there should be a class given before someone flies their drone in public.

Yikes! For real!?!?! Yeah I don't imagine it will be long before the drone free for all madness gets dialed back, thank goodness!

My friend is a helicopter flight nurse and said some of idiots flying those things are seriously threatening peoples lives when they are forced to hold up takeoff/landing for emergency flights to/from the ER because a drone is in their airspace.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-09-30 5:07 PM
2015-09-30 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Yikes! For real!?!?! Yeah I don't imagine it will be long before the drone free for all madness gets dialed back, thank goodness!

My friend is a helicopter flight nurse and said some of idiots flying those things are seriously threatening peoples lives when they are forced to hold up takeoff/landing for emergency flights to/from the ER because a drone is in their airspace.

Yep, it wasn't of any large size, but it certainly took me by surprise.  I merely turned around, picked it up, set it on the fence post, looked at the guy, and turned and kept running.

I can see some challenges in the future, they have been more popular than RC planes from what I can see. And if the thing that hit me had been of any larger size...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).