Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-05-27 11:09 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Did you all see my bike p0rn? ME, bike...I know, crazy!

I saw it, and it's awesome!!

2015-05-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Race report #2 from this past weekend's bike race

Indian River Road Race

2015-05-27 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I missed it originally but took a look.  It looks great!  I assume you've been out riding it already?

2015-05-27 11:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

All set for Ride the Divide!

2015-05-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by axteraa

I missed it originally but took a look.  It looks great!  I assume you've been out riding it already?

Thank you! Yeah, I rode it to work yesterday.

I mainly got it for some bikepacking trips and also for getting me further into the backcountry so that I can start my runs in more remote terrain. But it's really fun. Granted it takes me twice as long to get to work as it did my road bike because I like going off onto side trails and jumping curbs and whatnot. lol

2015-05-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Nice try you know I don't ride bikes

2015-05-27 11:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Run alongside, pushing it uphill. Sit on and coast the way down.

2015-05-27 11:40 AM

User image

Seattle

Run alongside, pushing it uphill. Sit on and coast the way down.

Hahaha! Now you're talkin'! It even plays into my crappy downhill running

2015-05-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Hot Runner What's HRV? Googled it but what it says doesn't seem to make much sense as a training/recovery metric, nor easily measurable. I do use HR for my harder runs/rides and long rides, mainly to ensure that I don't exceed the intended zone for the workout and/or get overheated.
http://www.myithlete.com/what-is-hrvis probably the best explanation of it. you take readings in the morning and It is used to detect over-training and fatigue It requires an iphone, a $5 app and a bluetooth HR strap.

A local doctor spoke to my tri club about this, and I thought it was really interesting.  I had no idea that there was a $5 app that could do it. I wonder how accurate it is.

2015-05-27 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Hot Runner What's HRV? Googled it but what it says doesn't seem to make much sense as a training/recovery metric, nor easily measurable. I do use HR for my harder runs/rides and long rides, mainly to ensure that I don't exceed the intended zone for the workout and/or get overheated.
http://www.myithlete.com/what-is-hrvis probably the best explanation of it. you take readings in the morning and It is used to detect over-training and fatigue It requires an iphone, a $5 app and a bluetooth HR strap.

A local doctor spoke to my tri club about this, and I thought it was really interesting.  I had no idea that there was a $5 app that could do it. I wonder how accurate it is.

I find it very accurate. The absolute number means little, but the trend definitely works for me.
2015-05-27 5:13 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmm...Believe it or not, I don't have an I-phone! (On the First World Problems thread it talks about relief agencies for that--maybe I need one.) If I do get one in the future, will check it out.

I'm also laughing over the IM Nice guy. I've always told myself I'll probably never do a full IM, at least until I retire, whenever that might be, simply because I don't have the time to train properly for it. In the odd moment of insanity I've thought of just going out and doing one without specifically training for it, just to say I did/get the shirt and medal. But compared to that dude (20 minutes on a spin bike is a typical workout??), I'm fantastically well-prepared right now. What keeps me from IM (and kept me out of tri in the first place--I thought until my 30's that all tris were IM distance!) is that I know all too well (and have known since age 14) what a sucky marathon for which I'm underprepared feels like. Been there, done that, don't really need a 112 mile bike ride to "warm up" for it.

2015-05-28 7:22 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Came across this earlier. Ow.

2015-05-28 7:35 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Looks.....  unpleasant?

2015-05-28 7:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

Looks.....  unpleasant?

Always amazed at the amount of work some can do.

2015-05-28 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh....not signing up anytime soon!
2015-05-28 8:25 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Looks.....  unpleasant?

oof. Been thinking recently about trying to become a real cyclist again. This may have put me off that idea. The nice thing about being a triathlete is you don't ever have to do anything really hard - heh. My favorite part of that article was actually from the comments when Allen answered someone's question about taking off muscle mass:

"How to lose muscle mass? Buy two arm slings, one for each arm, like you would if you had broken collar bones. Put your arms in slings. Don’t use them for a month. I had a guy do this once....lost eight pounds off his upper body. Otherwise, try caloric deficit and don’t use any muscles except your legs so that everything else atrophies."

2015-05-28 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Looks.....  unpleasant?

I probably would have lasted more than one lap in that bike race I did last weekend had I done this.

2015-05-28 8:51 AM

Master
Northern IL

Looks.....  unpleasant?

I probably would have lasted more than one lap in that bike race I did last weekend had I done this.

"That which doesn't kill you ... " comes to mind. One or the other would surely happen here.

2015-05-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Looks.....  unpleasant?

oof. Been thinking recently about trying to become a real cyclist again. This may have put me off that idea. The nice thing about being a triathlete is you don't ever have to do anything really hard - heh. My favorite part of that article was actually from the comments when Allen answered someone's question about taking off muscle mass:

"How to lose muscle mass? Buy two arm slings, one for each arm, like you would if you had broken collar bones. Put your arms in slings. Don’t use them for a month. I had a guy do this once....lost eight pounds off his upper body. Otherwise, try caloric deficit and don’t use any muscles except your legs so that everything else atrophies."

Keep raising your FTP and it won't be so hard, right?

2015-05-28 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Looks.....  unpleasant?

Yeah, that looks like it would hurt.  Wonder how he would suggest to set it up for a triathlete who can't (won't) give up running and swimming for eight weeks. 

2015-05-28 9:25 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Looks.....  unpleasant?

Ben, you are absolutely right! If I lost 8lbs of upper body weight that would increase my FTP by 6%. Now, I wonder where I can get me a couple of arm slings....?

2015-05-28 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Looks.....  unpleasant?

Ben, you are absolutely right! If I lost 8lbs of upper body weight that would increase my FTP by 6%. Now, I wonder where I can get me a couple of arm slings....?

Start by riding a couple Cat5 crits - you'll need the arm slings after you break your collar bones in the predictable pile-ups, and might get a couple W increase in FTP on the way there.  Win-Win...

Matt

2015-05-28 10:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Looks.....  unpleasant?

You're in a tech job, right? Maybe you've finally found a use for all the extra USB cables?

2015-05-28 10:59 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Looks.....  unpleasant?

Yeah, that looks like it would hurt.  Wonder how he would suggest to set it up for a triathlete who can't (won't) give up running and swimming for eight weeks. 

Yeah, this would be very tough there. This would be in a bike focus section, likely in the off season. Probably keep Tuesday and Saturday a lot like they are. Then Wednesday and Sunday might reduce somehow. A lot of triathletes would probably have to build up quite a bit just to execute any of the workouts, or even part of it, as they won't have the over threshold development a bike racer does.

2015-05-28 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Looks.....  unpleasant?

Ive got a couple slings left over from last year's debacles that I can send you. if you're really committed....lol. Plus think how much easier it is to generate a  caloric deficit if you can't hold a knife and fork, open cans etc. win/win. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).