in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N

Speaking of shorter cranks, I tried 165s as part of the bike fit - holy cow that was a weird feeling!

What length are you currently using and how did it differ?  Did you feel like you were forced to spin?

I use 172.5 now, which given my leg length (26.5" inseem) you would think is too long.  I was considering 165 if I went with the Elsa.  If nothing else, gives me an opportunity to create more drop as the saddles on both my bikes are fairly low due to my short leg length.

Your legs must be almost a foot longer than mine.  That sounded weird...

172.5 now.  It definitely felt like I had to spin more but the weird part was I felt like I was missing a big chunk of power in the down stroke.  Jim said I looked like I went from effortless power to having to work a lot harder for the same power.

My jeans are a 34" inseam so not quite a foot.  Tab's are 36 so she's almost got you!  

Ok, apparently I was mistaken.  She's also a 34.  This is how urban legends get created...  

2015-03-04 7:06 AM

Master
Northern IL

Speaking of shorter cranks, I tried 165s as part of the bike fit - holy cow that was a weird feeling!

What length are you currently using and how did it differ?  Did you feel like you were forced to spin?

I use 172.5 now, which given my leg length (26.5" inseem) you would think is too long.  I was considering 165 if I went with the Elsa.  If nothing else, gives me an opportunity to create more drop as the saddles on both my bikes are fairly low due to my short leg length.

172.5 now.  It definitely felt like I had to spin more but the weird part was I felt like I was missing a big chunk of power in the down stroke.  Jim said I looked like I went from effortless power to having to work a lot harder for the same power.

My jeans are a 34" inseam so not quite a foot.  Tab's are 36 so she's almost got you!  

Ok, apparently I was mistaken.  She's also a 34.  This is how urban legends get created...  

Hehe. "Honey, trying to explain your measurements to some guys on the internet!"

2015-03-04 9:29 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Hehe. "Honey, trying to explain your measurements to some guys on the internet!"

apparently....Fred is rubbing off on Arend.

2015-03-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

apparently....Fred is rubbing off on Arend.

You't think Arend would have a better grasp of Tab's measurements, what with wearing her clothes and all....

2015-03-04 1:30 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

You't think Arend would have a better grasp of Tab's measurements, what with wearing her clothes and all....

Inseam measurements aren't very relevant with Lululemon shorts!

2015-03-04 1:55 PM

User image

Everyone knows Lululemon shorts are a gateway drug to full on drag

2015-03-04 9:01 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Chris - you've had some good one liners in the past, but that one takes the cake.

2015-03-04 9:05 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario

Got to ride the velodrome for 45 min this evening with my son, which was pretty cool - 4 kids & 3 adults so we had tons of room, and had a good time.

Then I got the pleasure of coming home and riding 6x3min VO2 intervals and accumulated 86 TSS points in an hour.  Definitely the toughest workout I've had in a while, and if I did 6x3min tonight I know that means I must be heading towards 6x4min in the next 1-2 weeks...not looking forward to it.

2015-03-05 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I know we are trying to have few rules in this group but can we establish a no picture policy ?

I am still traumatized by muffin tops.
2015-03-05 12:28 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marcag 

I know we are trying to have few rules in this group but can we establish a no picture policy ? I am still traumatized by muffin tops.

Don't look for a busted can of biscuits.

I warned you.

2015-03-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

I know we are trying to have few rules in this group but can we establish a no picture policy ? I am still traumatized by muffin tops.

Hey, I didn't post any pics, you're the one with muffintop pics in your cache now, not me 

2015-03-05 2:35 PM

User image

On further reflection I've come to the conclusion that the new Tempe 70.3 won't in fact be a good sub 5 course.   It's the old SOMA route, which I hear has 3 18 miles loops with something like twelve 90 degree plus turns, including several 180s...   I never had the desire to do SOMA mainly for that reason, no reason to change that opinion now.

So looks like a return to Silverman.

2015-03-05 2:44 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

On further reflection I've come to the conclusion that the new Tempe 70.3 won't in fact be a good sub 5 course.   It's the old SOMA route, which I hear has 3 18 miles loops with something like twelve 90 degree plus turns, including several 180s...   I never had the desire to do SOMA mainly for that reason, no reason to change that opinion now.

ugh, just kill me now. I won't even do that in training, much less pay for a race to do it. I know it is kind of irrational, but in my brain the idea that you are actually going somewhere (not just going around and around in circles to cover some set distance) is a big part of the appeal of long-course/endurance racing.

2015-03-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

ugh, just kill me now. I won't even do that in training, much less pay for a race to do it. I know it is kind of irrational, but in my brain the idea that you are actually going somewhere (not just going around and around in circles to cover some set distance) is a big part of the appeal of long-course/endurance racing.

I meant to add the worst part.   SOMA had 500-700 ish athletes.  How many you think the switch to WTC will attract?  I predict at least 1500 if not more (silverman had 1500, and didn't sell out, this one will).   Apparently there is some WTC awareness of the issue and there's discussion on a closed FB group that they will be limiting entrants to 1200 or so, but not quite sure I believe that......

2015-03-05 3:19 PM

User image

I have no idea what the course is like, but it sounds like a bad idea given the number of athletes and the new 10 meter drafting rule.  I imagine that the FOP riders will have to stay left for most, if not all of the 3rd lap.  Which will make the corners and hairpins a huge cluster...given the anticipated cornering skills of BOP athletes...and triathletes in general.

2015-03-06 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I have no idea what the course is like, but it sounds like a bad idea given the number of athletes and the new 10 meter drafting rule.  I imagine that the FOP riders will have to stay left for most, if not all of the 3rd lap.  Which will make the corners and hairpins a huge cluster...given the anticipated cornering skills of BOP athletes...and triathletes in general.

Well, if it were enforced it might make it more frustrating but safer at the same time - at least on a course like that. 

I suspect it'll be more like an 18 mile crit.  With a bunch of first time Cat 5's.  On TT bikes.  And no time penalties handed out to the peloton in any event.  <sigh>

Really, my collarbones don't even want to think about it. 

Will be interesting to see how it plays out - maybe it'll all work out somehow?  Just can't imagine quite how, if that's the setup.  It's bad enough on out and back courses (in my limited experience).

Matt

2015-03-06 3:08 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Well, if it were enforced it might make it more frustrating but safer at the same time - at least on a course like that. 

I think it makes it less safe in the sense that faster athletes who are making a big pass (multiple riders) now need to stay left for 30% longer.  If you're passing 5 riders spread out by 50 meters...compared to 35 meters when it was a 7 meter rule.  Not so bad if the course has wide straight roads...but on a course with a lot of turns...you're putting faster bikers in a situation where they would want to just stay left and continue passing...but approaching a 90 degree turn it can get dicey.  Especially on a 3 loop course where the FOP will be lapping the BOP at a high difference of speed.

2015-03-06 3:36 PM

Master
, California

Anyone see this yet?

http://www.digitalepo.com/

heh

2015-03-06 5:03 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Anyone see this yet?

heh

Welcome to 2012.   How do you think I get my KOMs?

2015-03-06 5:46 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by spudone

Anyone see this yet?

heh

Welcome to 2012.   How do you think I get my KOMs?

Back then I was writing a tool to merge data from my phone (gps) and my joule 2.0 (power, no gps).  So I could do the same thing without their website (on accident of course!)

2015-03-06 5:53 PM

Master
, California

BTW I'm enviously watching coverage of IM New Zealand right now.  Hope I get to race there again someday.

Cameron Brown made a huge move in the last 30km of the bike to erase a 3 minute deficit.  He's leading the run now, might win his 11th race there.

2015-03-06 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Shoot--if I'd known it was on (live online?) could have done my long ride today on the trainer. (Virtual New Zealand probably trumps real-world industrial park.) Would actually like to do Challenge Wanaka someday, but not sure I could survive the cold swim. (Yes, I know one wears a wetsuit. Have just never been able to deal well with my gasping, wheezing response to cold water, and being frozen solid after wetsuit removal in transition.)
2015-03-07 2:21 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Got out for a cold, windy ride this morning. Unfortunately for me, I don't really have appropriate riding gear for temps below about 60F, so I froze my butt off (well, really my fingers and toes!) this morning. Legs were feeling heavy from the get-go, so I decided I'd just sit in and get the draft benefit. Power meter and heart rate show the ride to be quite easy....legs felt differently!

Finished up the ride and got in an easy 30 minute run. It's a little disheartening to realize how much fitness I've lost since last season. My running is ahead of where I was at this point last year, but my biking is terrible, which makes the brick runs feel kinda awful. Only seven weeks out from Galveston 70.3 and I'm starting to get worried. Hopefully things will come around in the next few weeks.

2015-03-07 3:25 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Still a lot of snow around, but it was 45F & sunny, and that means shorts weather is back!

2015-03-07 3:51 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Got out for a cold, windy ride this morning. Unfortunately for me, I don't really have appropriate riding gear for temps below about 60F, so I froze my butt off (well, really my fingers and toes!) this morning. Legs were feeling heavy from the get-go, so I decided I'd just sit in and get the draft benefit. Power meter and heart rate show the ride to be quite easy....legs felt differently!

Finished up the ride and got in an easy 30 minute run. It's a little disheartening to realize how much fitness I've lost since last season. My running is ahead of where I was at this point last year, but my biking is terrible, which makes the brick runs feel kinda awful. Only seven weeks out from Galveston 70.3 and I'm starting to get worried. Hopefully things will come around in the next few weeks.

Ha-Ha Nicole - 60 degrees is actually my break point where I don't dress any differently: anywhere between 60 and 110 degrees I dress exactly the same on the bike. When sitting in the group don't be fooled by what your ride averages show. I had a 2:25 group ride today that rolled easy for about an hour. and then I jumped out with a guy on a 6 minute flyer that had me at max effort just to stay on his wheel (note to self - never try to chase a guy whose name is, seriously, "Angus"). We regrouped at the top of a little climb, and then two other guys got a little jump and I worked for the next 25 minutes at threshold just to hold the gap steady between them and the rest of the group. A few hours later I am still a little wobbly legged, but my HR and Power average for the entire ride make it look like a little recovery day. NP tells a bit of a different story.

Weather is getting nice here - was sunny and 32 degrees when we rolled out, but 2.5 hours later it was in the mid 50s. Tomorrow I hit the road for 11 days of overseas travel, and won't have too much opportunity to get much training in (outside of a lot of walking). I hope we are in full-on spring here by the time I get back as I will have a little catching up to do. Race season is just around the corner!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).