General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter book: Joe Friel or Hunter Allen? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-05 7:26 PM

User image

The Woodlands, Texas
Subject: Power Meter book: Joe Friel or Hunter Allen?

I want to learn about power (buying a power meter soon). Amazon reviewers have equal good things to say about "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" by Allen as well as "The Power Meter Handbook" by Friel.

Anyone have either/both and make an informed recommendation? Maybe each book says the same thing in a slightly different way.

Thanks all!

2015-01-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: m3bella

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Power Meter book: Joe Friel or Hunter Allen?
Assuming that you want to use it to train for triathlon, I would suggest Dr. Phil Skiba's books (http://www.physfarm.com) first and after those, Allen and Coggan's book as a follow up.

Shane
2015-01-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

The Woodlands, Texas

Originally posted by gsmacleod Assuming that you want to use it to train for triathlon, I would suggest Dr. Phil Skiba's books (http://www.physfarm.com) first and after those, Allen and Coggan's book as a follow up. Shane

Oh yes, I remember stumbling across physfarm.com while reading about PM's. Thanks for the reminder!

2015-01-05 11:12 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Assuming that you want to use it to train for triathlon, I would suggest Dr. Phil Skiba's books (http://www.physfarm.com) first and after those, Allen and Coggan's book as a follow up.

Shane

Agree, though personally I would switch the order. Coggan explains more of the theory and practice for all cyclists, Skiba expands on a specific usage for triathletes. Better (IMO) to have a broad understanding before you specialize. You won't go wrong with either/both books though.
2015-01-06 5:26 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by m3bella

Originally posted by gsmacleod Assuming that you want to use it to train for triathlon, I would suggest Dr. Phil Skiba's books (http://www.physfarm.com) first and after those, Allen and Coggan's book as a follow up. Shane

Oh yes, I remember stumbling across physfarm.com while reading about PM's. Thanks for the reminder!

My job is to follow Shane around and x2 to whatever he says

Seriously, though, I would also strongly recommend Skiba first, Allen/Coggan second, and Friel not at all. Some of Friel's articles and blog posts are very well researched and written but his books are too formulaic and too general, among a bunch of other reasons I wouldn't recommend them.

2015-01-06 5:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Texas
Subject: ---

Edited by Miguel Runner 2015-01-06 5:38 AM

2015-01-06 5:36 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
"Training and Racing with Power" is a really good book that you can learn a lot from.
2015-01-06 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Skiba has 2 books and I suggest you read both. They are really easy to read and really complete each other.

Last year Shane and I ran a mentor group on training with power
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

73 pages is kind of long

I am probably going to write a document that does an overview of the thread with links to specific parts of it. I may even put the workouts in a BT training plan. After you've read the Skiba books (or other), let me know if you're interested in reading it and providing feedback.
2015-01-06 6:59 AM
in reply to: 0

I rarely disagree with Shane, but I honestly bought Skiba's power book on strong recommendations, and didn't find it particularly useful. It was good on the 'theory' of the principles of power training, but a lot shorter in terms of the practical day to day nuts and bolts of building your actual program. There are pretty much zero 'season sample plans" for various level of athletes in Skibas books to use as starter templates, for example, and barely even any 'week sample plans'.

I actually got a lot more knowledge about power by just using Trainerroad's various workouts and then reading the TrainingPeaks website (free) for the definitions of useful terms like TSS, NP, etc. That directly demonstrated to me not just what the definition of the numbers were, but how much suffering and beatdown occurs with myself with say, 80% FTP, 90% FTP, 120%FTP, or 300TSS, 400TSS, etc. Turned out that even with all that theory I read about in Skiba, it all went out the window when I found I was drastically overshooting reality (like how hard a 2 x 20 @ 100%FTP was.) I actually ended up throwing out my Skiba book - it's been one of the only Triathlon or endurance sports books I've tossed.

I haven't read Allen's book so can't comment, and I did read the Training Bible, and it too was pretty general, although I actually found it slightly more practical than Skiba's more theoretical book, but by far the best was just suffering through a bunch of workouts on Trainerroad, and using the free info on Trainingpeaks to get term definitions. 

I also work in the sciences, so I'm not at all afraid or intimidates by charts, numbers, and theoretical paradigms. It wasn't because the book was over my head - I understood all of it very easily. But it just didn't add any value for me in terms of practical program building above the basic info I could get for free online.

Edited by yazmaster 2015-01-06 7:17 AM
2015-01-06 7:39 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I want to learn about power (buying a power meter soon). Amazon reviewers have equal good things to say about "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" by Allen as well as "The Power Meter Handbook" by Friel.

Anyone have either/both and make an informed recommendation? Maybe each book says the same thing in a slightly different way.

Thanks all!

If you want to learn essentials get Friel's book. If you want to go into the rabbit hole, get Hunter Allen's book. If you are a bit knowledgible about physilogy and learn easily form books, jsut get Hunter's bok. Friel readily admits he wrote his boo kas an introduction to power. He's a good teacher.

Some basic knowledge of physiology is helpful...while some have expressed a dissapointment at Skiba's power book, I HIGHLY recommend his other book at a minimum for a great, easy to read overview of training principles.

2015-01-07 10:10 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

, Washington

Originally posted by marcag

Skiba has 2 books and I suggest you read both. They are really easy to read and really complete each other. Last year Shane and I ran a mentor group on training with power http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... 73 pages is kind of long I am probably going to write a document that does an overview of the thread with links to specific parts of it. I may even put the workouts in a BT training plan. After you've read the Skiba books (or other), let me know if you're interested in reading it and providing feedback.

I was part of this mentor group and have to give it 2 thumbs up and really appreciate these guys taking the time.  I was new to power and learned a lot of great information.  In the end I've read all the books mentioned in this thread and have learned tidbits from each.

Now we just need the Advanced Power Mentor Group....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter book: Joe Friel or Hunter Allen? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Avg power for those with power meters? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Oriondriver02
Views: 7950 Posts: 71

2011-04-09 8:52 PM GoFaster

Training and Racing with a Power Meter book?

Started by Izlude
Views: 995 Posts: 8

2010-12-21 6:57 PM KathyG

Joe Friel's new book editions!!

Started by Bronwyn1968
Views: 2134 Posts: 19

2009-05-25 1:21 PM JorgeM

Power Meter (Power Tap) Basics

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 1940 Posts: 10

2007-10-24 11:33 AM yaqui

Power training seminars with Hunter Allen - VA Beach, VA

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 818 Posts: 5

2007-09-26 10:55 AM instigator
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : VeloPress
comments : 0
Coach Joe Friel Simplifies Power Meters with New User Guide for Cyclists and Triathletes

date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.
date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.
date : April 19, 2009
Learn how a power meter can serve a role as a race-reconnaissance tool and to help in pacing so you don't go out too hard. Race power analysis included.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.