General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-12-06 7:18 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by bulfrog Overall very happy. Was a little slower than the last on, but as the run is about 400m longer that's excusable. Felt very good and gives me a lot of confidence looking forwards to Wanaka, now only 75 days away.
So glad to hear you happy about thisone Andrew! It sounds like you really rocked your own race. Congrats.

2015-12-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Rest day for me today. Spent most of the day on Grandpa duty with my 2½ yr old grandson. If I wasn't in the LR with him I was outside helping the wife with Christmas decorations.
2015-12-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog So, I raced another sprint triathlon on the weekend, all in all pretty good. The short version is I'm quite happy with how it went, swim was about where I expected, and biked and ran much faster. The only negative was my transitions were a bit slow, but I well and truly exceeded my expectations this time. The longer version: Swim, 500m (524 on the garmin) 9:26 A U shaped course with a beach start, I started on the outside to make sure I was in as clear water as I could get. Got a little bit off course on the first leg out, so lost a little time, unfortunately I arrived at the first corner at the same time as one of the back markers of the Olympic distance, swimming much slower than us. He caused a bit of a bottle neck and fight to get clear, only to have the same thing happen at the 2nd corner with another backmarker. Once round the corner and heading back to be the beach I drifted to the side of the pack looking for clear water and made it back nice and easily. Overall very happy with my time. The only thing i would change is taking the truns a bit wider to avoid the underwater MMA. T1, 3:34 A short run to the bike, wetsuit off to the waist on the run. Was feeling a little tired after the swim so didn't move with enough urgency, Probably lost a minute here. Bike, 20km, 41:21 2 loops of a nice flat, smooth waterfront course. There's not a lot to write about the bike, it's a flat, non technical course. It's just a case of head down and push. Which is what I did, whilst riding a bit within myself knowing there was a run to come. Had a sip of water at each of the 4 180 degree turns, otherwise was just pedal pedal pedal... I was expecting 25-27km/hr, so was very happy to see 29km/hr average as I finished the course. T2, 2:07 I went down the wrong row to rack my bike. So embarrassing. Never done that before in 12 previous triathlons. Still it's a lesson I'm sure to learn from. Moved a bit faster than in T1, but still lost 20-30 secs due to the detour. Run, 5km, 31:47 An out and back along the waterfront. Nice and flat. It pretty much went to plan here, I ran a nice steady pace, and walked the only water stop at the turn around, as planned. As with my last tri, hit much faster numbers than I do in training. I ran within myself, and was able to slightly up the pace in the last km and ran down a few of the athletes in front of me. Honestly I felt I had a little more to give here, it was all a little bit easy. Overall very happy. Was a little slower than the last on, but as the run is about 400m longer that's excusable. Felt very good and gives me a lot of confidence looking forwards to Wanaka, now only 75 days away.

Great job! It is nice to have a race under your belt that is a confidence booster!

2015-12-07 12:55 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Rest day for me today. Spent most of the day on Grandpa duty with my 2½ yr old grandson. If I wasn't in the LR with him I was outside helping the wife with Christmas decorations.

2.5 year old tending is a loggable sport!

2015-12-07 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
6/22 - Walk - 1h 00m - 3.10 miles - 19m 21s /Mi
I finally found something good about Dreadmill workouts. By using the Dreadmill I can set my pace and forget it. All I wanted to accomplish today was a full hour at a nice easy pace. Set it for my 5k distance and then just trudged along for the full hour at that pace. Not very challenging, but the time was important to me. What I am thinking of doing is using C25k Dreadmill workouts during the work week and then doing the River Rd loop outside for my long walk on the weekends, regardless of the weather. That way I'll still score CWWC pts too.

On a bummer note, I did this hour in the Saucony's that had blistered me so badly the last two times I tried them. No blisters today, but by the end they were decidedly uncomfortable to wear. I borrowed a Sharpie from the front desk and wrote a note on a piece of paper; "FREE to good home, size 13 Saucony's. Only worn for two workouts of one hour each. These shoes are not right for my feet." Then I left them and the note on the counter in the men's locker room. They were already gone by the time I finished my 15 minutes in the sauna. That was a $135 pair of shoes donated, but I'd have had to throw them in the trash anyway.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-12-07 2:45 PM
2015-12-07 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Rpbin and Rick and anybody else who was interested. I was digging around B2B's Fb page and discovered a rumor that the race is being taken over by WTC and will be IM branded for 2016. Now, personally, I don't really care who promotes the race. But what I DO care about is that IM races typically cost about DOUBLE non-branded races seem to cost.

What with the cost of several days hotel and food, plus driving to and from the event, I am not really in the mood to double my entry fee on top of all that. Especially when all the buzz are that there is no significant improvements for the extra money, you're just paying for the name. Maybe if I was trying to qualify for or intending to race Kona I might feel different. But I'm not, and I am quite positive that I won't be "in the money" even racing as a Master Clydesdale.

Another thing about this change, USAT has declined to sanction any WTC events because of concerns for rider safety and rules conflicts. In a WTC race the official can order you to "stand-down" at any time to impose his chosen time penalty. There is no appeals process. If you refuse to stand-down then he can DQ you, on the spot. As a motor-ref for USA Cycling I don't think this is at all fair. And then there is the issue of the official stopping his motorcycle on the course to enforce such an order. It's far too easy for a rider in a aero position and sucking wind to not see the motor until he crashes into it.

I'm going to keep watching this develop and I am going to investigate a few other options, like the HITS series. I read that HITS has the best transition areas in triathlon, hands down. And I remember when I was thinking about doing one in St Petersburg, before Mom moved up from Tampa, that their pricing was significantly less than most.

Have any of you ever done an IM branded race? Was there a significant benefit to it being IM branded, or did it just cost you more money to do the same race?

2015-12-07 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Rpbin and Rick and anybody else who was interested. I was digging around B2B's Fb page and discovered a rumor that the race is being taken over by WTC and will be IM branded for 2016. Now, personally, I don't really care who promotes the race. But what I DO care about is that IM races typically cost about DOUBLE non-branded races seem to cost. What with the cost of several days hotel and food, plus driving to and from the event, I am not really in the mood to double my entry fee on top of all that. Especially when all the buzz are that there is no significant improvements for the extra money, you're just paying for the name. Maybe if I was trying to qualify for or intending to race Kona I might feel different. But I'm not, and I am quite positive that I won't be "in the money" even racing as a Master Clydesdale. Another thing about this change, USAT has declined to sanction any WTC events because of concerns for rider safety and rules conflicts. In a WTC race the official can order you to "stand-down" at any time to impose his chosen time penalty. There is no appeals process. If you refuse to stand-down then he can DQ you, on the spot. As a motor-ref for USA Cycling I don't think this is at all fair. And then there is the issue of the official stopping his motorcycle on the course to enforce such an order. It's far too easy for a rider in a aero position and sucking wind to not see the motor until he crashes into it. I'm going to keep watching this develop and I am going to investigate a few other options, like the HITS series. I read that HITS has the best transition areas in triathlon, hands down. And I remember when I was thinking about doing one in St Petersburg, before Mom moved up from Tampa, that their pricing was significantly less than most. Have any of you ever done an IM branded race? Was there a significant benefit to it being IM branded, or did it just cost you more money to do the same race?

Oh crap! The B2B is a great set up as it is. Going name brand can't help that, other than add to the cost and the crowd.  I am not interested in paying more. I have done a HITS race last year. It was totally amazing. The best set up ever. They are small yet so there aren't the huge crowds. The half I am doing in April is that race. The great thing about HITS is over the weekend, they have a "distance for every person" from open, sprint, olympic to half and full. They have a new race director this year, I hope things don't change. I'll let you know in April.

For alternative races. There is the HITS in January in Naples Fla. Another one I have considered is the Venice Florida half. It is in a beautiful spot and is in October or November, too. It is an olympic and half at the same time. I'll look it up.

2015-12-07 4:04 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

http://www.challenge-fl.com/

2015-12-08 8:51 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Rpbin and Rick and anybody else who was interested. I was digging around B2B's Fb page and discovered a rumor that the race is being taken over by WTC and will be IM branded for 2016. Now, personally, I don't really care who promotes the race. But what I DO care about is that IM races typically cost about DOUBLE non-branded races seem to cost.

Have any of you ever done an IM branded race? Was there a significant benefit to it being IM branded, or did it just cost you more money to do the same race?

If this is true, B2B will be off my list for next year. Cost is a very important factor for me simply because with 4 kids, the logistics and expense of travel can be a real nightmare! Part of the reason I ran the Riverbluff in Ashland City (Nashville area) is because they had a Sprint, Oly and Half. I was fine when they cancelled the Half last year citing roadwork and Rail-to-Trail updates. Then the race was sold to an RD here in Memphis and he canned the whole thing. I'm really not sure what the closest, non-Xterra, Half to me is anymore...

12/8 (0500): .45mi, 5:04 (11:20 pace) <~~ I'll hit that half mile mark yet!
12/8 (0650): 4.6mi, 22:01 (12.5mph) <~~ Dropped SIL's car @ dealer & rode to work. Started tracker late. Some bike lanes, some sidewalk.
12/8 (1636): 5.22mi, 28:04 (11.2mph) <~~ Picked up car. Started tracker properly. Much, much heavier traffic. Also got dark just as I arrived.

It's been a while since I've really trained on 2 wheels. Yesterday was a mix of rolling hills, nasty sidewalks and horrible traffic. I actually used the wrong bike lane on the way to work because I refused to attempt to cross 6 lanes of "rush hour" traffic. I also rode my orig "tri" bike, the Denali. She weighs in at a svelte 27lbs and she's set up to use a 53-tooth big ring only. Apparently I used to like pain a lot more...

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-12-08 9:05 AM
2015-12-08 3:30 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
7/22 - Swim - 11m 17s - 500.00 yards - 02m 15s /100 yards
Not real impressive, but I did manage to get a full 500 yds in today with only minor twinges in my back from twisting. Hot tub still down so spent 20 minutes in the sauna trying to stretch the muscles out.
2015-12-09 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I'm really not sure what the closest, non-Xterra, Half to me is anymore... .

Check this out. It is in May. but still...

http://www.endurancesportswire.com/new-half-iron-triathlon-and-half-marathon-in-greenville-south-carolina/

A net down-hill run on my favorite rails to trail.

This is about 45 minutes to an hour from me. Here is the website:

http://www.mountainstomainstreet.org/

Edited by ceilidh 2015-12-09 6:41 AM

2015-12-09 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh

http://www.endurancesportswire.com/new-half-iron-triathlon-and-half-marathon-in-greenville-south-carolina/

I read on the slow twitch site, that this race is going to be run by the same company who did run the B2B. If that helps sway anybody
2015-12-09 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I really like the looks of this one, but not even close to ready by May. Perhaps for 2017?
2015-12-09 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
8/22 - Bike - 38m 17s - 10.00 miles - 15.67 Mi/hr
Really enjoying the Expresso Cycles at the Y. Now, I know that I am not really able to pedal a bike at a 15+ mph average, but it's nice to see the avg pace increase, even if it is inside. Kind of hoping to get a long outside ride in over the weekend.
2015-12-09 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I really like the looks of this one, but not even close to ready by May. Perhaps for 2017?
You could volunteer for it this year and then do it next. I have done several races by SetUp Events and they do a good job.

I am thinking of signing up for this and turning my April race into an Olympic.

2015-12-09 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

You could volunteer for it this year and then do it next. I have done several races by SetUp Events and they do a good job.

I am thinking of signing up for this and turning my April race into an Olympic.

Or you could just do the half marathon option, and the HIM next year.

Lots of options. No backing out for you

2015-12-09 9:58 PM
in reply to: #5080193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Not backing out, just waiting for the 2016 calendar to fill out on TriFind. So far, Grand Floridian is the only HIM showing for October.
2015-12-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi!
I used to belong to this group but haven't done any tris in the past 6 years or so??

My sad weight story:

I quit smoking at the age of 42, 5ft 5 inches, 145 lbs, and pretty fit because even though I smoked, I ran. I immediately his menopause AND gained 35 pounds. I did tris in 2007 and even though I trained hours and hours each week for an Oly distance, I didn't lose a pound. The next year, I did spinning for a few months, and lost about 20 pounds. Since it was right after work, and I couldn't always get there, plus because it was 45 minutes from my house, I stopped, gained the weight back.

Two years ago I took a sabbatical from work and was training for a 10 mile race. I was running 3 to 4 times a week: every other day for about 45 minutes and up to 10 miles on Sundays. I lost about 20 pounds. Back to work, I gained 25 pounds.

I hate, hate, hate being fat. I hate the feeling of fat, but I am an emotional eater. Where I used to smoke and drink, now I just eat. At the end of a bad day, a milkshake makes me feel much better. So I have had a terrible time losing weight without a lot of exercise. I work until 4PM, the gym is 1/2 hour further from my home than work, and my job wears me out. So I have been at a standstill. (and I live in a very rural area, there are no other gyms, or even exercise classes anywhere near me.)

I've been really depressed about my weight, and some deaths and illnesses in my family. I need a way to get moving again. I am considering signing up for the St. Petersburg Sprint Tri in April, knowing that I wlll have to really make an effort to get the training in. I know what it takes. I've done it before. I just need some motivation and discipline and more energy than I have now!

And I would love a coach. Someone tough, who really pushed me. Not a softie at all. Any suggestions on any of the above are greatly appreciated!!

Nancy
2015-12-11 1:34 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
9/22 - Walk - 34m 54s - 2.00 miles - 17m 26s /Mi
Breaking the 35m mark for my 2 mile Valley Rd walk is always a goal, ad today I managed it. I held fast to my plan and did this with only walking today. I have the darndest time keeping that in my head when I check my watch and see time slipping away during my walk. My next big goal for this course is to break the 30m mark, without jogging.
2015-12-11 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by nancylee
My sad weight story: ,,,,, lost about 20 pounds. gained the weight back, lost about 20 pounds, gained 25 pounds. I hate, hate, hate being fat. ,,,,, I have had a terrible time losing weight without a lot of exercise. I've been really depressed about my weight, and some deaths and illnesses in my family. I just need some motivation and discipline and more energy than I have now!

And I would love a coach. Someone tough, who really pushed me. Not a softie at all. Any suggestions on any of the above are greatly appreciated!!
Nancy

Welcome back Nancy. We've all been (are) there. You've come to the right place and the right group. Lots of friendly support from folks who understand exactly what you are talking about. I lost 55 lbs my first tri season and did my first tri at 341 lbs. Had big plans for the next season. Then Mom died and my brother destroyed my left arm on a practical joke. Lost the '13 season and gained back 40 lbs. By the start of the '14 season the weight gain had driven me into a deep, dark hole and I did nothing. Finally "woke up" in September, started training, and wrecked my knee in November. Suffered all winter and finally had the surgery to fix it in April. (Should have done that back in December and I could have raced this summer.) Lost the entire '15 season to recovery time. Now I am training for my own 2016 Comeback Tour.

Folks here will be as supportive or as demanding as you wish us to be. We're friendly but we don't mind calling each other to task for complacency if the "Subject" has indicated they wish to be held accountable. Everybody here knows my profile is Public and that I encourage people looking over my shoulder. Since I can't seem to find a training partner locally these folks are my surrogates. And they do a fine job of not letting me "goof off".

I have added you to my Friends list and sent you an Inspire already. Look for my "22/31 + 10% in December" challenge and join in the fun. At this point of the month, I figure you should aim for at least 14 workout days in the remaining 20 days as a good goal. But if you go there, don't pay any attention to kloofyroland's posts. The man ain't human, he's a triathlon beast!
2015-12-11 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Nancy, go get the C25k program of your choice from the website and start slow and gentle. Don't get all gung-ho and overdo it right out of the gate.

There is also a Zero to 1650 swim plan online that is pretty good for beginning swimmers. Folks like me, who swam competitively in HS and college, will find it less challenging but you gotta start somewhere.

A decent road bike and an indoor trainer could be found for less than $1000, especially if you search Craigslist. The Albany area should be crawling with possibilities.

Your profile says Albany, but that's a pretty darned broad area. Do you wish to narrow down where you work for me? I grew up i Cobleskill/Sharon Springs and used to work downtown at the Federal building and in Voorheesville, so I'm fairly familiar with the Capital/Tri-City district.

As an option for swimming and treadmills, you may want to check out the community colleges or other universities. Many of them are open to the public for a small fee. I remember all of the SUNY's used to be. You won't have an assigned locker, but at least you'd have someplace to change and trian.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-12-11 2:11 PM

2015-12-11 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by nancylee Hi! I used to belong to this group but haven't done any tris in the past 6 years or so?? My sad weight story: I quit smoking at the age of 42, 5ft 5 inches, 145 lbs, and pretty fit because even though I smoked, I ran. I immediately his menopause AND gained 35 pounds. I did tris in 2007 and even though I trained hours and hours each week for an Oly distance, I didn't lose a pound. The next year, I did spinning for a few months, and lost about 20 pounds. Since it was right after work, and I couldn't always get there, plus because it was 45 minutes from my house, I stopped, gained the weight back. Two years ago I took a sabbatical from work and was training for a 10 mile race. I was running 3 to 4 times a week: every other day for about 45 minutes and up to 10 miles on Sundays. I lost about 20 pounds. Back to work, I gained 25 pounds. I hate, hate, hate being fat. I hate the feeling of fat, but I am an emotional eater. Where I used to smoke and drink, now I just eat. At the end of a bad day, a milkshake makes me feel much better. So I have had a terrible time losing weight without a lot of exercise. I work until 4PM, the gym is 1/2 hour further from my home than work, and my job wears me out. So I have been at a standstill. (and I live in a very rural area, there are no other gyms, or even exercise classes anywhere near me.) I've been really depressed about my weight, and some deaths and illnesses in my family. I need a way to get moving again. I am considering signing up for the St. Petersburg Sprint Tri in April, knowing that I wlll have to really make an effort to get the training in. I know what it takes. I've done it before. I just need some motivation and discipline and more energy than I have now! And I would love a coach. Someone tough, who really pushed me. Not a softie at all. Any suggestions on any of the above are greatly appreciated!! Nancy

Welcome Nancy. Not a coach but we can keep you as accountable as you want. So.. what did YOU do for training today.. see? No really, those were some great ideas listed. I do all my training by myself and only the swimming at the gym. There are no training partners anywhere around here so BT has been my training partner(s), coach and inspiration since 2008. I too, have been on the up and down weight cycle. I am currently up but working on my way down and a HIM in April in Ocala (or maybe an Olympic) at this rate.

2015-12-11 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Robin what's the HIM in Ocala?
2015-12-11 4:24 PM
in reply to: #5080193

User image

Champion
Bronze member
It is the HITS one. Okalawa, Fla. 4/2/16. The also have all the other distances that weekend. Husband is doing the sprint. I may drop down to Olympic.
2015-12-11 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for the links. Hmm...14 workouts in 20 days. I can do that. I worked all day today, just got home, but can get a walk/run in tomorrow. Thanks for the warm welcome!!
Nancy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54414 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68079 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8713 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2558 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3640 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?