General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-12-12 3:01 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
10/22 - Walk - 1h 20m - 4.00 miles - 20m /Mi
I'm kind of guesstimating the distance and time here. I took Cindy out to the Christkindl German Festival in Mifflinburg PA. My Pacer app on my phone says that in the little more than an hour that we were there I walked over 9,000 steps. I know that when I walked 2 miles at school it came to about 4300 steps. So I calculated that to be about 4 miles at a really slow pace.

I wasn't all that impressed with the festival, but I did buy several bottles of two different versions of spiced Gluhwein. That sort of made the trip worthwhile in my book. Cindy found several pot-pourris and some handmade soaps that she liked.

2015-12-13 12:59 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
11/22 - Bike - 1h 03m 12s - 13.50 miles - 12.82 Mi/hr
Three laps around the River Rd, with no concerns about speed. Just wanted the distance. I am loving this unseasonably warm week.
2015-12-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I missed posting for a few days, things got kinda crazy this weekend too. However, I do have my log updated as of this morning.

I only made 4/6 runs last week, missing my "long" run for the 2nd week in a row. I am finding that if I don't get it done in the morning, it ain't gettin' done.

Weight: 263.5 (down 3.5 somehow)

Right now I'm in a holding pattern. I am still focusing on the run, but I really need to get at least 1 bike, swim and weight session in a week as well... ugh.

Also, checked the B2B site, and as of 0500 Central Time, the signups are still being worked on...
2015-12-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
This weekend, I walked two days. I didn't run because I was on my feet all weekend at a part time job (which I am no longer at) and my feet were killing me. When I up my mileage, my feet give me trouble, so I have to think about that.

Diet wasn't great last night - we had company I had ravioli, some potato chips (ARGGHHHHH!!!) but no dessert or anything like that. I am down a few pounds from last week. Really trying to watch my carbs, but low carbs makes me absolutely miserable and a real beast. I think my blood sugar drops quickly, because both my daughter and I get really crabby if we are hungry. Really crabby!!

Thanks for listening!
Nancy
2015-12-15 3:49 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Rick, nice work on 4/6. I have no idea how you're going to get all the other disciplines in, unless you go to two-a-days. And that hasn't worked out for me just yet. I AM commiserating with you on the idea of "If it ain't done early, it ain't getting done". LOL, maybe we should exchange phone numbers and telephone each other to make sure we get up to work out. Um, never mind. Just realized my 0500 would be your 0400 and your wife probably would not appreciate that. Perhaps it would help if you packed your bag the night before so that all you had to do was "grab-n-go". I think that is what I am going to try next week. I already hang all my school clothes in the bathroom the night before so I don't have to turn on a light and wake Cindy up.

Nancy, good start on the weekend. Don't forget that extended after periods of inactivity it's going to take your body a couple of weeks to re-adjust to the impacts of training. Go slow and go gently to avoid pain and injury.
2015-12-15 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
12/22 - Walk - 34m 27s - 2.01 miles - 17m 08s /Mi
A second day of sub-35 for this course. Yee-haw! Not ready to call it my average pace yet, but felt good. And NO RUNNING!

2015-12-16 6:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
13/22 - Walk - 40m - 2.00 miles
Subbed at Jersey Shore yesterday. Got a quick 2 miles in walking the hallways during my Prep period. Why did it take me longer than out on the Valley Rd course? I suspect it is because I am simply walking laps in an enclosed hallway and have no way to judge my pace.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-12-16 6:48 AM
2015-12-16 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I have been having a hard time getting going. Since pulling the tendons in my foot, I can't run. Biking hurts and swimming makes the $%^$^%$ thing ache. Harumph!

I am doing little bits where I can, but it is nowhere near what I need to be doing for my plan.

2015-12-16 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa 12/22 - Walk - 34m 27s - 2.01 miles - 17m 08s /Mi A second day of sub-35 for this course. Yee-haw! Not ready to call it my average pace yet, but felt good. And NO RUNNING!

Good job!

2015-12-16 8:30 AM

User image

12/15: 1.14mi, 15:02 (13:11 pace). Got the long run in this week. It was actually last night, so I'm happy with the pace. I think I'm going to say forget the 12:00 pace plan and add my first 10% starting Thursday.

Mike: I'm absolutely going to have to double up on some days. This is how I have it planned right now:

Mon: Short Run
Tue: Long Run
Wed: Rest
Thur: Short run
Fri: Medium Run
Sat: Short Run
Sun: Medium Run

I'm supposed to be swimming on Fridays, which I haven't been doing, but that leaves me all 3 short run days to get some saddle time in... even on the drainer. There is no excuse, other than just laziness, for not getting it done. I have been looking at TrainerRoad as an idea for how to get the most out of the drainer time, but even a 30:00 blah spin would be better than what I've been doing lately.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-12-16 8:31 AM
2015-12-17 12:18 PM

User image

Sorry guys, Ironman North Carolina, formerly known as Beach 2 Battleship is no longer on my '16 event list.

Time to start looking

2015-12-17 8:04 PM
in reply to: #5080193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
IMNC is too rich for my wallet. Let's see what independents open up in the few months.
2015-12-17 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys, sorry I've been missing in action the last little bit. This is a hectic time of year for all of us I'm sure.

Anyhow, last week, the week after my sprint tri,
4 hours running over 5 runs,
2 swims for 40 minutes
1 bike ride for 2 hours.

A grand total of 6:40 for the week, which is my biggest week for the year. Yay for little milestones!

So far this week, life has got in the way a bit, no swims, nor are there going to be. 3 runs for 3:07 total. Looking to run again after work tonight, and bike ride both days on the weekend. Aiming for a shorter, but higher intensity ride on saturday and my long ride sunday. Should be around 6-7 hours for the week again, so another good consistent effort.
2015-12-17 8:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

IMNC is too rich for my wallet. Let's see what independents open up in the few months.

(this isn't aimed specifically at you mike, its to all of you questioning teh B2B now its changed ownership)

Now, it's not my money, and being in NZ, I have no interest or chance in coming over to race IMNC/B2B, but what is the price difference?

In my situation, the race fees are a relatively small part of what I spend on this sport.
1. Bike = thousands,
2. clothing = hundreds,
3. shoes = hundreds,
4. wetsuit, $100+,
5. gym/pool fees hundreds a year,
6. bike parts and maintenance, havent added it up but estimate hundreds a year
7. gels/powerades etc for during long workouts, also havent added it up but probably hundreds a year
8. travel and accommodation for races, hundreds/thousands a year (depending on how many out of town races)

My point is, if you really wanted to do this race, a few hundred dollar price rise is pretty small in the scheme of everything else we spend on this sport...
2015-12-20 7:36 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Andrew sounds like last week was a real beauty. Well done.

As for IMNC, the registration fee doubled, and will be even more by the time I can pay for it. See, I promised my wife that tris would not come out of household money, but that I would pay for all that stuff out of substitute teacher pay. I'm also not impressed with the fact that none of the travel, schedule information is available yet. For the time being I will simply wait and see if a decent independent HIM opens up later in the season.
2015-12-20 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
14/22 - Walk - 35m 17s - 2.00 miles - 17m 38s /Mi
36 CWWC pts.

Brrrrrrrr! 27* outside and I went for a walk. Not under 35, but I'm not complaining. At least I got out there, after a few days of nothingness.

2015-12-20 9:35 AM

User image

Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

(this isn't aimed specifically at you mike, its to all of you questioning teh B2B now its changed ownership)

Now, it's not my money, and being in NZ, I have no interest or chance in coming over to race IMNC/B2B, but what is the price difference?

In my situation, the race fees are a relatively small part of what I spend on this sport.
1. Bike = thousands,
2. clothing = hundreds,
3. shoes = hundreds,
4. wetsuit, $100+,
5. gym/pool fees hundreds a year,
6. bike parts and maintenance, havent added it up but estimate hundreds a year
7. gels/powerades etc for during long workouts, also havent added it up but probably hundreds a year
8. travel and accommodation for races, hundreds/thousands a year (depending on how many out of town races)

My point is, if you really wanted to do this race, a few hundred dollar price rise is pretty small in the scheme of everything else we spend on this sport...

That may be true for most, but in my case:
1. Bike = Trade for automotive labor
2. clothing = $20 tri shorts, $9 wicking T from Wal Mart, Hand-me-down bike jerseys/shorts from those that have lost weight.
3. shoes = hundreds. I couldn't skimp here, but I'm still having issues...
4. wetsuit = N/A
5. gym/pool fees = hundreds a year. Same, but I need to find a more cost effective alternative.
6. bike parts and maintenance = <$50 for 2015
7. gels/powerades etc for during long workouts = Water & Clif Bars. I estimate <$75 for the entire year.
8. travel and accommodation for races = 2015: $0 as my 1 out of town race was 86'd.

Believe me, when things are tight a $50 price increase hits pretty hard, much less a few hundred... Also when you throw in travel for 6 (we have 4 heathens running around), any event that requires travel instantly becomes a financial (and organizational ) burden.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-12-20 9:38 AM
2015-12-20 10:08 AM

User image

This last week didn't go so well... only 3/6 runs, but I did get the "long" run in. I'm starting to have toe/foot issues again. It's hasn't stopped me, but I did cut out the last half of last week to see if things calm down. I'm going to switch my runs back to night time. A thought occurred to me this week about how I've been doing things. I've noted that when I get up early in the morning and run, I am hungrier during the day. When I was dropping weight earlier this year, I was running at night. I tended to eat less at night because I hate being full when I run. I happen to sleep very well right after a good workout.

I did not weigh this morning. I will not look at that torturous device until after the new year.
2015-12-22 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. Here is an e-mail I received from Set Up events. I have participated in many of their events in the past. Now.... let us search for alternative HIMs.

Beach2Battleship Sale to WTC
As many of you know by now, the PPD Beach2Battleship Full and Half iron distance races were purchased by World Triathlon Corporation. I know there are people who are angry that this happened. Over the past week, we've received a number of emails pertaining to the sale, and we're certainly aware of some of the comments on a variety of social media outlets.

Believe me when I tell you that the sale of B2B is bittersweet for us at Set Up Events. The race was our creation and we've been proud to have been producing the event for the past eight years with the involvement of our close friends at the Wilmington Family YMCA.  Back in 2006/2007, Dick Jones (CEO  - Wilmington YMCA) was eager for another Wilmington event that could become a fundraiser for the Y. Dick loved the idea and we had some experience at the Full iron Distance (The Duke Blue Devil). The Y had the resources needed to attempt something on this scale, so the Y took controlling ownership of the event.

Over the past eight years, B2B has grown into the largest Iron distance race in the country - not including any of the Ironman branded races. A very talented and dedicated race committee comprised of over 40 people were led by Race Director, Jeremey Davis and Operations Director, Mary Toffolon. This team built B2B into a property that ultimately got the attention of WTC.

People who may be angry about "selling out" to WTC need to remember that this is a business. WTC is in business to make money. The YMCA is in business to generate revenue streams to fund programs and services. In the eight-year history of B2B, the race has generated a ton of money for youth related programs at the Wilmington Y. Many of these programs would not have been funded without this event.

Dick Jones made the decision that anyone else sitting in his chair would have made.  WTC simply made the Y an offer they couldn't refuse. If the Y had walked away from the offer, WTC would have put an Ironman or a 70.3 (or both) in one of the other Atlantic coast markets they have been looking at for the past few years. We knew it was only a matter of time before WTC would have a presence in one of the four coastal "tourism" markets in our region; Savannah/Hilton Head, Charleston, Myrtle Beach or Wilmington. In fact, WTC had pretty much decided that it was either going to be Wilmington or Hilton Head.

A competing Ironman branded event in Hilton Head would have had a massive negative impact on B2B. B2B has been able to withstand some of the moves that WTC has made into our region (Augusta, Maryland, Chattanooga), but registration numbers have been down for the past couple of years for the Full. The value of the event had most likely reached its zenith. Comparing it to a stock, it would be like owning a stock with a per-share price of $100 that you know will only go down in value. It might be only $75 per share in a year or $50 per share in two years. You simply have to sell that stock.

Ironman North Carolina will become an incredible event. Obviously WTC is very good at what they do and they will bring some incredible resources to the event. We're thrilled that the YMCA will continue to be involved and it's going to be great for the race to have the continued involvement of both Jeremey and Mary.

As I mentioned earlier, this is bittersweet for Set Up because we lose our flagship event. However, I can assure you that we will continue to produce safe and well-run  triathlons in the Carolinas. We're excited about our new North Carolina State Park triathlon series (Centennial Endurance Challenge) that will offer up some beautiful venues combined with unique race distances.

I hope everyone has a happy holidays and we hope to see you at one of our races in 2016.

Bill Scott
Founder/CEO - Set Up Events

2015-12-22 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well last week I got what I planned in,

4 hours running, 3 on the bike for 7 hours total. My first week over 7 for years. So happy with that.

This week, in the run up to Christmas has started slowly, but looking to get similar numbers in my the end of the week. Hopefully I will get 1 swim in, but I doubt it. Life very much gets in the way at this time of year.

It's my last day at work for the year today, and as I look at the forums from the office I probably won't be back till early January.

So have a Merry Christmas everyone.
Don't go too overboard with good Christmas food, train hard, and I'll talk to you all in the new year.

Edited by bulfrog 2015-12-22 3:06 PM
2015-12-24 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Hi everyone,

I know this is a 2015 thread, and 2015 is almost over but I'll jump in anyhow and switch to the 2016 thread if one starts.

NAME: Ray

FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years, no kids - just a big German Shepherd sucky baby.

STORY: Similar to Bulfrog's. At the end 2009 I started running/training inspired by my cousin who was a pro triathlete in the past. Weighed in over 240 lbs at the time (was over 275 lbs in 2007/2008). Come spring time 2010, I started doing some run races, then followed with a couple duathlons and got down to 188 lbs & 17% body fat.

Then over the last 5 years, lost focus, and also got a left knee injury (overuse, lack of stretching, etc) in 2012, and by summer of 2015 found myself back at 265 lbs with all fitness gone.

Started running again in August (C25k program), ran a 5k in October, and an 8k in November. Race reports here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2015-race-results/

I track everything on my blog http://www.FatGuysRedemption.com

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 4x/wk, keeping mileage low (still under 20kms/wk) with real slow increase not to aggravate past knee injury, heavy strength train 2x/wk, starting indoor bike trainer this week hopefully, using Trainer Road for workouts.

Plans for 2016? Preliminary schedule here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2016-race-schedule/

Garmin activities: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities

Edited by RVachon 2015-12-24 12:45 PM

2015-12-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: RVachon

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by RVachon Hi everyone, I know this is a 2015 thread, and 2015 is almost over but I'll jump in anyhow and switch to the 2016 thread if one starts. NAME: Ray AGE: 44 FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years, no kids - just a big German Shepherd sucky baby. STORY: Similar to Bulfrog's. At the end 2009 I started running/training inspired by my cousin who was a pro triathlete in the past. Weighed in over 240 lbs at the time (was over 275 lbs in 2007/2008). Come spring time 2010, I started doing some run races, then followed with a couple duathlons and got down to 188 lbs & 17% body fat. Then over the last 5 years, lost focus, and also got a left knee injury (overuse, lack of stretching, etc) in 2012, and by summer of 2015 found myself back at 265 lbs with all fitness gone. Started running again in August (C25k program), ran a 5k in October, and an 8k in November. Race reports here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2015-race-results/I track everything on my blog http://www.FatGuysRedemption.comCURRENT TRAINING: Running 4x/wk, keeping mileage low (still under 20kms/wk) with real slow increase not to aggravate past knee injury, heavy strength train 2x/wk, starting indoor bike trainer this week hopefully, using Trainer Road for workouts. Plans for 2016? Preliminary schedule here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2016-race-schedule/ Garmin activities: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities

Hey there! Welcome. Someone other than me is gonna have to update the thread. we are few in number but strong in will-power.

2015-12-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It is official. I dropped to the Olympic distance for the April 2 race and added the M2M half at the end of May. It is good. Closer to home and an additional month and a half to regain what I have lost with torn tendons in my foot. I have taken 2 weeks to just recover and do life stuff. No weight gain and minimal loss of fitness (other than what was happening with my ankle anyway). Now I am on a roll again! YAY!

I only have 3 more days to work before retirement. It does NOT seem real.

2015-12-27 7:54 AM
in reply to: RVachon

User image

Originally posted by RVachon

Hi everyone,

I know this is a 2015 thread, and 2015 is almost over but I'll jump in anyhow and switch to the 2016 thread if one starts.

NAME: Ray

FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years, no kids - just a big German Shepherd sucky baby.

STORY: Similar to Bulfrog's. At the end 2009 I started running/training inspired by my cousin who was a pro triathlete in the past. Weighed in over 240 lbs at the time (was over 275 lbs in 2007/2008). Come spring time 2010, I started doing some run races, then followed with a couple duathlons and got down to 188 lbs & 17% body fat.

Then over the last 5 years, lost focus, and also got a left knee injury (overuse, lack of stretching, etc) in 2012, and by summer of 2015 found myself back at 265 lbs with all fitness gone.

Started running again in August (C25k program), ran a 5k in October, and an 8k in November. Race reports here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2015-race-results/

I track everything on my blog http://www.FatGuysRedemption.com

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 4x/wk, keeping mileage low (still under 20kms/wk) with real slow increase not to aggravate past knee injury, heavy strength train 2x/wk, starting indoor bike trainer this week hopefully, using Trainer Road for workouts.

Plans for 2016? Preliminary schedule here: http://www.fatguysredemption.com/2016-race-schedule/

Garmin activities: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities

Welcome! It's always good to see new faces. And yes, there should be a 2016 thread popping up soon, hehe

Originally posted by ceilidh
Someone other than me is gonna have to update the thread. we are few in number but strong in will-power.

The feet are feeling better. Should be able to lace 'em back up tonight. Pro Tip: Don't buy cheap work boots
2015-12-28 6:34 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Happy last week of 2015.. How is everyone doing? Have to go roust folks up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54498 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68152 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8743 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2568 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3646 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?