General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does this bike trainer exist? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-07 6:58 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Does this bike trainer exist?
hey guys. I'm pretty new to the world of indoor cycling. Two questions:

1) Does a bike trainer exist that integrates with software to look at Google maps and simulate user defined bike courses (elevation and distance)?

2) Does a bike trainer exist that enables you to virtually connect to friends online and do a group ride indoors? Preferably with a video game like avatar and road on a tv screen to simulate a group ride.

Not looking for something that necessarily has both features (although it would be nice) just one or the other.

2015-01-08 7:42 AM
in reply to: westernmustang86

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Does this bike trainer exist?
Originally posted by westernmustang86

hey guys. I'm pretty new to the world of indoor cycling. Two questions:

1) Does a bike trainer exist that integrates with software to look at Google maps and simulate user defined bike courses (elevation and distance)?

2) Does a bike trainer exist that enables you to virtually connect to friends online and do a group ride indoors? Preferably with a video game like avatar and road on a tv screen to simulate a group ride.

Not looking for something that necessarily has both features (although it would be nice) just one or the other.

I think TACX makes a trainer that does both...
2015-01-08 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I don't know much about the equipment requirements but Jens Voigt has been posting about "Zwift" that is supposed to allow you to ride virtually with others.

2015-01-08 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by westernmustang86 hey guys. I'm pretty new to the world of indoor cycling. Two questions: 1) Does a bike trainer exist that integrates with software to look at Google maps and simulate user defined bike courses (elevation and distance)? 2) Does a bike trainer exist that enables you to virtually connect to friends online and do a group ride indoors? Preferably with a video game like avatar and road on a tv screen to simulate a group ride. Not looking for something that necessarily has both features (although it would be nice) just one or the other.

I have a CycleOps trainer along with the Garmin cadence\speed sensor.  I run the CycleOps Virtual software and it uses Google Earth.  I can virtually race people that do the same course.  Some courses have actual video that some took time to record on the route.

2015-01-09 8:14 AM
in reply to: #5080938

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks guys,

I've been doing a lot of digging and read through dcrainmaker's reviews. It seems as though kinomap is the only 3rd party software that both offers a virtual reality experience and controls resistance on select models of trainers. Tacx to me seems limited in that the're resistance controlled trainers only comply with their own software. Same limitation for the BKool. Cycleops has resistance controlled trainers that use both its own software or 3rd party (as per above the only 1 I know of is kinomap). KICKR also has this flexibility. The downside of the latter 2 trainers is of course the price. To me it seems as though software like tour de giro and zwift just accept data on power, cadence etc to integrate you into the Virtual reality world but don't have the output to change reistance on a trainer. This leaves the user to essentially manually change the resistance on their trainer if they have that capability on their trainer or simply just shift into a higher gear if they don't. Personally I'm leaning toward favoring trainers that accept 3rd party software to leave to leave the door open incase a certain piece of virual software really takes off and becomes more popular than the rest. The risk you run with committing to one piece of software ie in house from the trainer company is you log on to ride multiplayer and no other users are on to ride with because the software fell behind competitors. For me personally the ability for such software to control resistance on a trainer too is a plus so I don't have to do it myself to simulate hard hills etc. A trainer that can be resistance controlled can also be useful in that outside any virtual reality software, other software can be used that feeds elevation/distance data to my trainer and essentially simulates rides I would do on nice days in the summer here locally.

A lot of the above is just me talking out loud to try and make my decision. You experts out there please provide feedback if you can any let me know if I'm off base on any of my comments.
2015-01-09 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by westernmustang86

Thanks guys,

I've been doing a lot of digging and read through dcrainmaker's reviews. It seems as though kinomap is the only 3rd party software that both offers a virtual reality experience and controls resistance on select models of trainers. Tacx to me seems limited in that the're resistance controlled trainers only comply with their own software. Same limitation for the BKool. Cycleops has resistance controlled trainers that use both its own software or 3rd party (as per above the only 1 I know of is kinomap). KICKR also has this flexibility. The downside of the latter 2 trainers is of course the price. To me it seems as though software like tour de giro and zwift just accept data on power, cadence etc to integrate you into the Virtual reality world but don't have the output to change reistance on a trainer. This leaves the user to essentially manually change the resistance on their trainer if they have that capability on their trainer or simply just shift into a higher gear if they don't. Personally I'm leaning toward favoring trainers that accept 3rd party software to leave to leave the door open incase a certain piece of virual software really takes off and becomes more popular than the rest. The risk you run with committing to one piece of software ie in house from the trainer company is you log on to ride multiplayer and no other users are on to ride with because the software fell behind competitors. For me personally the ability for such software to control resistance on a trainer too is a plus so I don't have to do it myself to simulate hard hills etc. A trainer that can be resistance controlled can also be useful in that outside any virtual reality software, other software can be used that feeds elevation/distance data to my trainer and essentially simulates rides I would do on nice days in the summer here locally.

A lot of the above is just me talking out loud to try and make my decision. You experts out there please provide feedback if you can any let me know if I'm off base on any of my comments.

Tacx is basically a closed system, I'd avoid that.
Zwift does control Kickr and CompuTrainers. I have a CompuTrainer that I use a lot with TrainerRoad and have been trying out Zwift. In Zwift when there is a "hill" the software simulates that grade and it becomes additional resistance.

Personally, riding simulated courses is ok. I used to ride a lot of the 140.6 and 70.3 courses on the CompuTrainer when I was prep'ing for those races. But the on course experience vs the on trainer experience is very different. I use the trainer and software for specific and structured workouts to maximize my benefit of trainer time. The onscreen aspect of the experience for me is to help keep things interesting, but my main focus is to meet that workout's objective. TrainerRoad with Sufferfest videos meet most of my needs. You can switch the trainer between ERG and Slope (or Course depending on your brand) modes and get a great work out. ERG is where the trainer holds the target resistance no matter which gear you are in or how fast you are spinning, Slope/Course is where you need to adjust your effort and/or gears to meet the target effort.

I picked up my CompuTrainer in 2005, hands down the best training investment I've made. I do training on Kickr's now and then too at a local bike training studio.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does this bike trainer exist? Rss Feed