BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-03-10 4:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -Open

You will see crazy improvements once you start the bricks, and the day prior should be easy to med swim. As for the clipon's the most problems I have seen with clipons are when people are at or near a stop. I will admit I was showing off in front of my wife sporting my new clip in's and at a complete stop feel right on my side, after she took pictures and posted to FB she helped me up. It is safe to say that I have not had a problem since then. People I have helped I have them ride around a parking lot of somewhere empty with curbs and had them clip in and out repeatedly just to get the muscle memory. The big reason I encourage the clipins is that you can get so much more power out of your legs with not just pushing the pedals but a 360 degree power transfer. Please ask questions as you get them... I wish you the best, you are going to crush your race...PR BABY...

Hello Tat! So, I did my first Brick Workout last Saturday. We followed our plan by the book: 45 mins of continuous ciclying (Zone 1 - Recovery ride) + 15 mins (Z2 Threshold) 2 times each (Total time: 120 min ride) + 10 mins Easy Run. 

The ride was great! It was the first time in months that I feel at easy and confident with my bicycle, specially at higher speeds (I was able to change positions with my hands on the handlebars) during the ride. The reason why I had been insecure for sometime is because at the end of November 2014 I fell from my bicycle and broke my right hand (I also hit my head quite hard but the helmet protected me). 

I still haven't got the clip-in shoes, but I will probably do so in 2 more weeks. 

After our 120min ride on the bicycle, we ran for 10 mins. The first 5 mins my legs felt heavy...really heavy. But the 2nd half felt easy. I did this workout with my 27-year-old swimming teammate who recently got a 1st place at a 5000meter open water swimming competition. She is not only a good swimmer, I learned last Saturday she can run, too! We are training together for a Triathlon, it will be her 1st Sprint, and this will be my 2nd.  Btw, it was Sunset and the view was just fantastic! (I'll try to upload a pic on this thread)

Edited by Ro~ 2015-03-10 5:00 PM

(20150307_184105.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150307_184105.jpg (4208KB - 14 downloads)

2015-03-16 7:55 PM
in reply to: Ro~

Originally posted by Ro~

After our 120min ride on the bicycle, we ran for 10 mins. The first 5 mins my legs felt heavy...really heavy. But the 2nd half felt easy. I did this workout with my 27-year-old swimming teammate who recently got a 1st place at a 5000meter open water swimming competition. She is not only a good swimmer, I learned last Saturday she can run, too! We are training together for a Triathlon, it will be her 1st Sprint, and this will be my 2nd.  Btw, it was Sunset and the view was just fantastic! (I'll try to upload a pic on this thread)

To get pass the heavy legs, when you are getting close to the finish do a couple high cadence spins mixed with a few out of the saddle spins. This will help get the hip flexors moving as much as you can on a bike.
2015-03-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: AZChief

User image

OK so at lest 3 times a week do an hour of bike quickly followed by an hour on the treadmill? any idea what i should do on the bike.... or for that matter the treadmill? on the bike I just try and do 20 KM (12.5 miles) as hard as i can then i do a 3 min cool down and hit up some rowing or some arm bike then go back and do 20 KM on the bike as fast as I can. on the treadmill i just try and fun the 5 km in under 19 minutes I'm around 21 minutes right now but I think i will be a bit faster on the track. I put the treadmill on a 1.0 incline every time should I maybe go up to 1.5 or 2? I do the arm bike for 15 minutes a day at a pretty high resistance should I up that to 30 min a day or even 45?

Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

progress update:
I was 197 LBS when I started training now I am 182. I am 6'2" tall so i'm going to shoot for a race weight of 170-175 lbs I will not be able to get there by April 5 but I should be able to drop 2 or 3 more LBS. the hard part is I know my race is going to suffer due to me cutting weight but It needs to be done. I feel like my run will be holding me back and I don't have enough time to fix it before my first race. I will only get to ride my bike for maybe 3 or 4 days before the race so thats also not ideal but ill make due.

First race:
My goal for this race is a overall top 10. It's set kinda high but I work better like that. as this is my first Tri I will really need to watch my pacing but I also don't want to finish with anything left. I'm thinking if I kick hard with about 300-350 meters to go I might be able to gain one or to spots.
2015-03-17 5:52 PM
in reply to: madprops

Originally posted by madprops

First race:
My goal for this race is a overall top 10. It's set kinda high but I work better like that. as this is my first Tri I will really need to watch my pacing but I also don't want to finish with anything left. I'm thinking if I kick hard with about 300-350 meters to go I might be able to gain one or to spots.

I should be coming to you for tips... The plan that you are following is pretty intense and sounds like the one thing you need to just be careful of is tapering and nutrition before and on the course. And as far as the hard kick final I would save it till the last 100 meters...

For when you do have a chance to get on the bike prior to the race I would recommend 30 sec sprints 30 sec rest for the distance of the race.

I wish you the best, it sounds like you are going to be at the top of the podium....
2015-03-21 9:54 AM

User image

Thanks for the advice regarding the heavy legs during the running segment of the Brick workout! I tried that this morning and my legs were not as heavy as the last time. 

This week was not as intense as last week. I failed to train for 2 days. And Monday, a friend who has been a ciclist for 20 years (He's also an Ironman Finisher - Cozumel) took us on a bike ride to explain some of the ciclying basics. It was very useful info but the ride was slow. On Wednesday, I ran. I did really well in running. Running is my best discipline. I won't take a day off tomorrow as I will be running at a 5K race and I am aiming for a PR. (Moon Palace Resort Foundation Race at Riviera Maya).

We are now going onto Week 4 of our Sprint Triathlon Training. (Next Monday).

I have a few questions which I look forward for your comments:

1) Some of my triathlon buddies (the most experienced ones) have mentioned they SWIM everyday (additional to their training plan, which means they sometimes do 2 sports in one day). I follow my weekly plan and it only has 2 o 3 swims a week. Do you think it would be advisable to swim everyday as well? Should I? Am I missing anything if I'm not? Swimming is not my best discipline. I am an average swimmer. 

2) Should I be using energy gels?

3) What are some basic rules in this forum? Can we interact, comment or share ideas with others? (I don't want to create confusion but there's times I would love to interact). This is my first time on a Triathlete forum and I'm still getting the hang of it. 

Have a great weekend Tat! 

2015-03-21 6:50 PM

Originally posted by Ro~

1) Some of my triathlon buddies (the most experienced ones) have mentioned they SWIM everyday (additional to their training plan, which means they sometimes do 2 sports in one day). I follow my weekly plan and it only has 2 o 3 swims a week. Do you think it would be advisable to swim everyday as well? Should I? Am I missing anything if I'm not? Swimming is not my best discipline. I am an average swimmer. 

2) Should I be using energy gels?

3) What are some basic rules in this forum? Can we interact, comment or share ideas with others? (I don't want to create confusion but there's times I would love to interact). This is my first time on a Triathlete forum and I'm still getting the hang of it. 

Have a great weekend Tat! 

As far as swimming every day, if you have the opportunity to do so I would recommend only 1000 meters on your none swim workout days. If you don't have ready accessible then I wouldn't worry about it. With 2 sports per day about mid training I usually have 2 events per day have it be swim/strength training or bike/run the days are full..

Gels, depending on the distance you are racing depends on the need for gels... If you are going to use gels I would see what the race is going to have and get those so you can get use to the taste/feel. Nutrition is mostly done on the bike. I place my gels and water reminders on the top bar with the time i should be taking them (i.e. gel :30, gel 1:00, salt tab 1:15) eat and drink something regardless how little it is at every station in addition to what you have on your bike.

With the forum I will always say I don't know everything, so help from anyone would be great. I am not a certified coach, just someone with experience. So please share away.

2015-04-06 7:03 PM

User image

Hello Anthony!

I had written a brief summary last week referring to my thoughts, comments and doubts from my training but I'm guessing I didn't submit after reviewing it. I am usually at work, multitasking when I write. So, before I start briefing you about last week's training, I would like to re-write about the 2 weeks ago. (Week 5 of my training plan).

Week 5 of my 12 week training plan. Almost half-way.

1) Swimming is going Ok. I don't think I'm getting any better, I'm still an average swimmer and I am seriously considering swimming everyday as I did last year. I have very good condition, I'm just not as fast as I wish I was. I want to be able to swim 750mts in less than 20 mins in the ocean and less than 18mins in the pool. I am not using fins or paddles and I think I should. Here's where swimming Coaches and Triathlon Coaches don't always see eye to eye. My Swimming Coach is more focused on speed and distance rather than strenght (The Triathlon I will be doing starts on the beach. We swim 350 mts in the ocean then go into a river and swim against the flow for the last half). 

2) Cycling: 2 weeks ago we had a long ride (120mins) which was very tense for me. There was a lot of wind. Cancun has no hills or tall buildings. When it is windy...there's no cover. While we were cycling, sometimes the front wheel felt as if it was loose. I even stopped to check if it was properly attached. The bike felt very unstable and it made me very tense. Sometimes I felt as if the wind was pulling my bike to one side. Later on I talked to a non-cyclist friend about it and he said I should not have gone cycling that day. The thing is...Triathlons very rarely get cancelled due to the weather. We would have to be on Hurricane warning if a triathlon ever got canceled and in May we are already in our rainy season. There is a high chance it will be windy! I better be ready!

3) Running: I got this...It is going great. I just need to master the 2 other sports I'm weak at so I can be ready to crush the last miles on my foot!

Week 6 of my 12 week training plan. Halfway.

1) Swimming: I'm doing my best to correct technique flaws. I have considered getting a second opinion about my swimming. (Different Coach).

2) Cycling: Brick workout last Saturday. It went well. The day was beautiful. I wish I were a bit faster in cycling. Running after went well. First 5 mins were difficult then it all went easy.

3) Running: It is going well. It's still my strongest discipline...But it is the last part and I will need to save energy for my legs.

Looking forward to your advice and comments! 

2015-04-08 6:34 AM

Hey everyone, sorry for coming on the page randomly to ask questions...

I have my first 70.3 in June, about 11 weeks out or so and winter training was pretty much non existent.. But now that the weather has been getting nicer i've been pushing myself to get outdoors to train.. I just wanted to know if its realistic for me to train within the time period I have and still finish under the time limit. Im not the fastest in any of the three legs but I can finish them in. Thoughts ?!

--Did my first marathon this year, just finished a 15k the other weekend and have couple half marathons before the half ironman but like I said im not the fastest runner/cyclist/swimmer.., cycled last weekend for about 90 minutes, legs seemed ok.
2015-04-09 12:43 PM

1) so as far as the swimming, you are not going to win or lose the race in the swim you just need to finish strong and fresh. Only you know your body the best so judge yourself, I prefer consistent focus on form. and the open water is always best because you will have to practice sighting.

2) would the bike shake worse as you were applying the brake? if so check the quick release and make sure it is properly installed... I had a similar problem and that was the result...

3) Running AWESOME!

with the bricks when you are getting close to the completion of the bike switch to an easier gear and up your cadence this will get the hips woken up .... I also put a hand held roller at my bike transition to roll out a little before I take to the run..

I am so glad that this is helping!!!
2015-04-09 12:50 PM
in reply to: slowpokee

Originally posted by slowpokee

Hey everyone, sorry for coming on the page randomly to ask questions...

I have my first 70.3 in June, about 11 weeks out or so and winter training was pretty much non existent.. But now that the weather has been getting nicer i've been pushing myself to get outdoors to train.. I just wanted to know if its realistic for me to train within the time period I have and still finish under the time limit. Im not the fastest in any of the three legs but I can finish them in. Thoughts ?!

--Did my first marathon this year, just finished a 15k the other weekend and have couple half marathons before the half ironman but like I said im not the fastest runner/cyclist/swimmer.., cycled last weekend for about 90 minutes, legs seemed ok.

First off I love your screen name, and 11 weeks is plenty of time to train. the biggest problem most people have is like what Ro is working on and that is the brick workouts. if you are not familiar a brick is a bike workout and a run back to back... I recommend going for a run after every bike ride even if it is just for 10-15 mins... that is about the amount of time to get rid of the baby giraffe legs.

the swim is the next problem area, if you have never done any tri's before the swim could be the most terrifying thing there is just because there are no swim lanes and people just swim right over you. I am not telling you this to scare you just to warn you so you are prepared.

Do you have a workout plan that you are planning on using?
2015-04-09 1:07 PM

Originally posted by Ro~

1) Swimming: I'm doing my best to correct technique flaws. I have considered getting a second opinion about my swimming. (Different Coach).

I just saw the video you posted on instagram(i am new to instagram) and have just one comment about the swim. when you arm enters the water and starts the pull bend your arm keeping your elbow closer to the top of the water... once you get that technique down try this one... hold light piece of PVC or something like a baton that runners use, with that out in front of you start you lap and what the idea is is that you hold the PVC with say your right hand in front while your left hand is doing the stroke once the left hand grabs the PVC the right hand does the stroke. you may feel as if you are slowing down but once you perfect both of these you will start being more efficient and that is the key in triathlons.

I hope you understand what I am trying to explain here, if you have any questions I can try to post a video on instagram(once again rookie instagramer)

2015-04-10 10:45 AM

Haha thanks, the screen name is as honest as I can get. Ive done two sprint tri's about two years ago and last year I focused mainly on running.. The swim part I think I can manage, the bike I can probably do as well as the run its just the whole timing is getting me scared. I am using one of the free training programs I found online, however Ive missed days but more so keep track to my long run/ride on the weekend to somewhat see where I am . Is anyone on here from the North east?
2015-04-10 2:35 PM

Originally posted by slowpokee

Is anyone on here from the North east?

I don't think anyone is but you never know who is just lurking about... which race are you doing in June? Training plan are all equally as good as the next, it is more about how much of the plan you can complete... Don't worry about what you didn't do worry about what you have to do next...
2015-04-13 10:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by AZChief
Originally posted by Ro~

I just saw the video you posted on instagram(i am new to instagram) and have just one comment about the swim. when you arm enters the water and starts the pull bend your arm keeping your elbow closer to the top of the water... once you get that technique down try this one... hold light piece of PVC or something like a baton that runners use, with that out in front of you start you lap and what the idea is is that you hold the PVC with say your right hand in front while your left hand is doing the stroke once the left hand grabs the PVC the right hand does the stroke. you may feel as if you are slowing down but once you perfect both of these you will start being more efficient and that is the key in triathlons. I hope you understand what I am trying to explain here, if you have any questions I can try to post a video on instagram(once again rookie instagramer)

~~~~~~~~~

Hello Tat! Thank you so much for reviewing my swimming video. I understand what you mean about the keeping my elbow closer to the top of the water. Just last night, someone on Instagram posted a video with that specific technique. The advantage of using videos on Instagram is that the videos are very short, but they restart on auto, therefore, you don't have to keep clicking on anything to watch again. I'll do the drill you suggest this week and let you know how it went.

Now here's the summary of last week's training:

1) Swimming: It was intense and challenging but not focused on Triathlon training. It turns out I was invited to take part on a Swimming Relay Race. So I focused on doing 100mts drills at Z4 HR. By Friday, I realized I should stay focused on Triathlon and turned down the invite for the race. I was back on track by Sunday when I went for an OWS session. The weather was great and so was the ocean. We did a continuous swim and I enjoyed every min of it. This week's goal: Improve technique: Keep elbow high when doing the pull.

2) Cycling: I can feel I am getting better. I'm more confident and comfortable with my bike. My arms are not tense anymore and I can hold on to the handlebars on different positions. I had my first sips of water without stopping for the first time (and I even kept pedaling!). When I came across windy areas and the wind moved my bike I didn't panic. The best part was being able to make turns without slowing down. I figured, if my friend can do it...so can I! So I did my first cornering last Saturday and it went well. 

There is something I wanted to mention about cycling. I have not yet made the transition to clip-on shoes. (not sure which is the right way to call them: clip-in or clip-on). When I went to the cycling retailer, the owner told me it was best to start with MTB clip-on shoes. He said I could run with those shoes to finish the Sprint Triathlon (those shoes are tennis shoes that clip on the pedals, when you get off the bike, you are still wearing the shoes). He said I could use them for 1 or 2 years then switch to Triathlon shoes. None of my Triathlon friends agreed. They said they all use Triahtlon clip-in shoes and that it would be a waste of money to spend on 2 shoes plus the pedals. While I thought about it...I was already into the first weeks of Triathlon training. I figured that it might drift me off my goals if I tried to learn how to use them while I was already into the training plan. I am planning to do this after I am done with the Triathlon which is May 17. Then I will have the time, probably the patience, to get into them. In the meantime...I'm using the pedals with the straps that hold the tennis shoes.

3) Running: I am always at ease and very confident about running. I know myself really well, which is something I need to master in other discliplines, for instance, swimming. In running, I know how far and how long I can run hard, which is always helpful when you want to pass other runners. My training plan has Fartlek workouts and I love doing them. Wanna hear something funny? I went for a run last week with my husband. I told him what my workout was and he said he would do my workout. I thought he loved it. The next day he says "Yeah, I enjoyed how you were dragging me as if I was your pet while you ran like crazy!" Ha ha!  

And last...the Instagram App:  I like Instagram because I follow people who are involved in similar activities or goals. Hashtagging makes it possible. If I want to look for posts related to cycling...I look for #cycling or #triathlon or #swimming and I follow them. And because Instagram is only photos...you get to see what other people all around the world see while they train...and I think that's fascinating! 

Now, time to start my day back in the office. Have a wonderful week to you and everyone in the Triathlon community! 

2015-04-13 11:35 AM

1) Swimming, with the OWS how were you with sighting? and did you practice drafting? those are the two toughest things to do while OW... Did you have any issues with breathing or getting water in your mouth during the breathing? And my goggles tend to fog up more with OWS no one can explain it to me but if you had that happen I would practice swimming then clearing the goggles while treading water then back to swim pace...

2) Bike shoes... I would have to agree with your tri friends. I started with MTB clips and because you are pedaling so hard for so long you will get a burning sensation in your foot, this will be a lot less with tri clip in's... they do take skill in walking in them..

3) Running.. That is awesome... I hope you are still doing at least 15 mins of running after your bike workouts.. and start to do about 400 meters of high knees and butt kicks prior to run workouts switching back and forth every 50 meters...

From the sounds of it you are going to crush you race.. keep it up..!!!
2015-04-13 9:36 PM

Mt.Tremblant ...

2015-04-20 9:49 AM

User image

Originally posted by slowpokee Hey everyone, sorry for coming on the page randomly to ask questions... I have my first 70.3 in June, about 11 weeks out or so and winter training was pretty much non existent.. But now that the weather has been getting nicer i've been pushing myself to get outdoors to train.. I just wanted to know if its realistic for me to train within the time period I have and still finish under the time limit. Im not the fastest in any of the three legs but I can finish them in. Thoughts ?! --Did my first marathon this year, just finished a 15k the other weekend and have couple half marathons before the half ironman but like I said im not the fastest runner/cyclist/swimmer.., cycled last weekend for about 90 minutes, legs seemed ok.

Hello there! I saw your post the other week and wanted to say hi but at the same time I thought it was best if our Mentor Anthony responded to your questions. That being said, well, here's a hello from a fellow triathlete. Hope your training is going well and welcome to the group! 

2015-04-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by AZChief 1) Swimming, with the OWS how were you with sighting? and did you practice drafting? those are the two toughest things to do while OW... Did you have any issues with breathing or getting water in your mouth during the breathing? And my goggles tend to fog up more with OWS no one can explain it to me but if you had that happen I would practice swimming then clearing the goggles while treading water then back to swim pace... 2) Bike shoes... I would have to agree with your tri friends. I started with MTB clips and because you are pedaling so hard for so long you will get a burning sensation in your foot, this will be a lot less with tri clip in's... they do take skill in walking in them.. 3) Running.. That is awesome... I hope you are still doing at least 15 mins of running after your bike workouts.. and start to do about 400 meters of high knees and butt kicks prior to run workouts switching back and forth every 50 meters... From the sounds of it you are going to crush you race.. keep it up..!!!

Hi Tat! I was just re-reading your original post (your training background and goals). How are your plans going? I hope it's all going well. 

I want to start briefing about last week's activities focusing on Swimming. Swimming is something I enjoy, but it is also one of my biggest challenges. It always intrigues me how technique plays a huge role in speed. This week, I felt I made a breakthrough in swimming. See, the thing is, I've been swimming with technique for only 1 year. Since day one, I struggled with understanding my Coache's instructions. I also struggled trying to remember his instructions. I have also struggled trying to understand why we do a certain drill, for example those drills aimed to improve technique. I am one of those people that need to visualize everything. I am also the type of pupil that learns from reading. And any verbal instruction will stay in my mind for no more than 5 seconds. So I depend a lot on visualization in order to understand and learn. Just last week, I read a very detailed explanation of the CATCH segment of the swim which also had a short video. I also read your suggestions on this forum which made as much sense as the detailed explanation I had read. Last Thrursay during my swimming class, I applied the newly learned technique. It worked wonders! Right before pushed off the wall, one of my fellow swimmers was stretching before she dived in and she shouted "I'll catch up with you in a few!". She's quite fast. I have to add that I love training with her because she's fast and focused. She also pushes me to work hard. I pushed hard that night. When we finished our session, my Coach said "Hey! You were speeding tonight! I saw that!". And my swimming buddy added "I never caught up with you". 

On the other hand, I also felt I had a setback. We went for an ows workout on Sunday. And I was never able to catch up with my triathlon training friend, Claudia. And although everyone says that swimming in the ocean should be easier. And that you should float more and glide more. Well... I don't feel focused or in control. I don't feel fast. The water wasn't choppy at all. No current. I just don't feel as in control as how I felt last Thursday in the pool. We did a 45 min set with different HR Zs. As far as goggles, I always have to take them off and clean them during the swim cause they get foggy. 

At the end of our swim, we practiced dolphin diving. I need practice. My friend Claudia is very tall. I am short. While running on shallow water, I raise my knees to avoid splashing then when I think water is deep enough to make a dive, I do it...but I think I should wait till water is deep enough so that I have enough space for my arms to make another dive. By the time I started swimming after running and making a few dolphin dives...I was hyperventilating! I remember last year, I was hyperventilating for the first few minutes of the swim segment. I remember having to talk myself into relaxing and going easy. Is it normal? Or should we aim for a slower run or dive? Or is it flaws in my technique that are making me start the swim at high HR? I posted a video on Instagram. I hope you have a chance to check it out!

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas. Have a great week Tat!

Edited by Ro~ 2015-04-20 10:33 AM
2015-04-20 10:59 AM

I am sorry if I didn't answer your questions. For a 70.3 and having already been familiarized with tri's you are plenty ready for the race. In the time frame are you looking to stand on the podium, or complete respectfully? I don't know if you read the other posting but if you do a bike workout follow that up with a run of at least 10-20 mins... I, just this weekend, did a 70.3 with only one week of training. I came in 95 of 99, it was a completely competitive group which made it difficult, along with it being an open course. You have a lot more time to train, so if you have questions about weird pains, or what to expect please hit me up. I am over in Italy and let's just say that the internet here is not very reliable.

One thing about a Jun race is sunblock and hydration, apply at each transition and drink water at ever water stop in addition to the water you have on the bike... Don't feel like you have to be a PRO at picking up water bottles while you are on the bike, if you need to stop and get two bottle do so, in the long run you will be doing yourself a favor specially if you miss the bottle they are handing to you.
2015-04-20 11:22 AM

Well my training was interrupted by my friends love of knowing I would never say no to a race, and like I stated in Slowpokes response I came in 95th of 99 people... Not even close being in contention for anything, but that was with only one week of prep work.

Congrats on your leaps and bounds on speed. As far as turning that in to the OWS will just come to you once you get past the anxiety of the open water. some times it takes me about 500meters. And with open water it is always packed with different variables. Like my race this weekend when we went to pick up the packets on Sat the sea state was like glass, race morning it was crazy bad. There really is nothing you can do to prepare for that other than mentally prep. Swimming faster and gliding in the OW that mostly comes from the wetsuit but most likely your race will not be wet suit. I have no doubt that you will do well in the swim just remember the training and keep correcting yourself, actually that may help pass the time.. Goggles fogging up just look in to tri sports anti-fogging liquid... and never use your fingers to clean it... just pour it in cover the lens and pour out...
2015-04-21 11:28 AM

User image

Originally posted by AZChief Well my training was interrupted by my friends love of knowing I would never say no to a race, and like I stated in Slowpokes response I came in 95th of 99 people... Not even close being in contention for anything, but that was with only one week of prep work. Congrats on your leaps and bounds on speed. As far as turning that in to the OWS will just come to you once you get past the anxiety of the open water. some times it takes me about 500meters. And with open water it is always packed with different variables. Like my race this weekend when we went to pick up the packets on Sat the sea state was like glass, race morning it was crazy bad. There really is nothing you can do to prepare for that other than mentally prep. Swimming faster and gliding in the OW that mostly comes from the wetsuit but most likely your race will not be wet suit. I have no doubt that you will do well in the swim just remember the training and keep correcting yourself, actually that may help pass the time.. Goggles fogging up just look in to tri sports anti-fogging liquid... and never use your fingers to clean it... just pour it in cover the lens and pour out...

My respects to you for doing a 70.3 with only a week of training. If it was 99 triathletes on this particular half-ironman, then it was probably the toughest athletes on that area. And you were among them. Plus, I bet they had trained for months while you showed up with just a week of training. How was the swim? What kind of weather? Were there hills during the ride? How is your cadence? Do you go on high RPM or low RPM? Was it windy? What was the most challenging segment? I hope you share some photos of the race!

My week has started slow. My 13-year old daughter has been sick with a throat infection. I was not able to do my 30min recovery run yesterday. I'm supposed to do a speed workout in swimming today and also check my TT in 400mts. I'll try to do that tonight after work. 

I'm getting a little anxious. Triathlon is in a month. I know I will get to the Finish Line. But I want to get there among the first 5 in my age group. Most of them are tough swimmers. Good cyclists. I am thinking my strategy will be to save enough energy for the run, my strongest discipline. Today's TT in 400m should give me an idea if I've really made progress in swimming, cause my training plan started with a TT in  400mts (first week of training) and I'll compare both results. 

Have a great day/afternoon/evening Tat!

2015-04-24 9:52 AM

User image

Well it is FRIDAY and I'm doing the HAPPY DANCE! Not because it has anything to do with Friday but because I finally got to do my 400 swimming TT and I got a new PB, shaving off 32 seconds from my previous TT when I was starting week 2 of my Triathlon Training Plan about 2 months ago!

This week started slow and I missed 2 days in training (Mon and Tue). I was feeling a bit anxious. The main goal of this week's training plan was to do check-up tests in all 3 segments. I'm happy with my results, specially in swimming!!!!! Even my swimming coach is happy today!  (Bike is scheduled for tomorrow). 

Have a wonderful weekend Tat! And everyone else in the triathlon community. If you have any races this weekend, enjoy every minute of it! And share some photos! x

2015-04-24 9:59 AM

I can't wait to see you raise the Award of 1st in your AG and the ticket to Kona... I am going to start coming to you for tips! I did get tricked in to doing another race this weekend, it's only a 13.1. So I will be able to redeem myself for the past weekends race..

Enjoy your bike workout
2015-05-16 9:31 AM

User image

Dear Tat:

I'm writing this a day before my race. Tomorrow, at this time, most likely, I will have reached the Finish Line. I started this journey as an unexeperienced triathlete eager to learn, eager to feel in control and confident. And that was key motivation during every training session. I think every adult, every child, every person should never stop learning and trying new things that make them better. Last year I did my first triathlon but the experience was much different from this year. I was really lost then, I had to train "blind". I think the only person I could count on was my swimming Coach, and he hates running. I had already found Beginner Triathlete but I didn't really know what to do. I'm so glad this year I found the mentor program. I am glad I found you as my mentor.

I think I started my training plan on the right foot this time. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. We are all so far geographically, yet, you have been able to understand and guide us in the right direction. You were right in so many things even if you couldn't see me during my sessions. 

So, as I finish this post, my mind is full of positive thoughts. I enjoyed every day that I trained. I started with so much fear, specially during windy bike rides. Back in November I had an accident and fell from my bycicle. I hit the ground with my head (helmet on) and broke my right hand. I spent the Holiday Season with a cast and coulnd't swim or bike for a couple of months. At 43...you become fearful. Sometimes you need to find the inner child to try and not think too much, worry too much. At the end of this months of training I was able to relax, enjoy cycling, feel in control and speed up. I learned how to make turns and even how to jump on the bike while running. 

Swimming also got better. Thanks for the drills. I have shaved off about 30 secs from my time. 

And running...well, I've always said it. That's my strongest discipline. 

Thanks again for everything. I will keep in touch and let you know how things go. I will find you again before I start training for my next peak race: ITU Cozumel.

2015-05-16 9:37 AM

User image

Btw, I'm attaching a link which I hope you get to see...It is a brief video for tomorrow's race: Triatlón Tres Rios (Three Rivers Thriathlon). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdU7H5eglVM       

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 33254 Posts: 1079

2015-12-30 11:15 PM 2NewKnees

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : November 9, 2010
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
Doug was one of the few swimming coaches who really appreciated how important swimming technique is and would spend as much or more time with his athletes making sure they got it right.
date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?