2015-02-20 10:23 AM
in reply to: Xiomara

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Why not "Tri"? - Open
Originally posted by Xiomara

HI Every one

Is this still an active? I would love to join this group.

THanks,

Mara

Mara,
Come on in! Welcome to the group.
r/
Mike

2015-02-20 10:29 AM
in reply to: mikerunkle

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Hey gang,
Ok, I think we've got enough folks to effectively manage, so I'm going to change the group post to "CLOSED". This only has the purpose of stopping new members from joining. Doesn't mean the forum is dead or anything. Please continue to post and comment on this thread.
Cheers
Mike
2015-02-20 10:31 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by mikerunkle

Hey gang,
Ok, I think we've got enough folks to effectively manage, so I'm going to change the group post to "CLOSED". This only has the purpose of stopping new members from joining. Doesn't mean the forum is dead or anything. Please continue to post and comment on this thread.
Cheers
Mike

Sounds cool boss.
2015-02-20 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Originally posted by HK8

Hey all, hope everyone's training is doing well. I have two questions:

1) I was looking at signing up details for races this summer and read about not being allowed to listen to music or making calls during race - ok that makes sense - and didn't see anything about just using iPhone as bike cycling device. Would that be allowed? I use the Strava app and wonder if I'll be able to keep my normal set up on race day. 

2) When you run, how important is it to track your cadence?

Thanks! 

HK,
I'd need to track down the official rules to quote from, but I'm pretty sure that you cannot use the iPhone simply because it has the ability to do the things that are not allowed, whether you "plan" to use them or not.

As to importance of tracking cadence, this'll sound lame, but it depends on how important it is to you. Whether its Heart Rate, Cadence, Power or aura-color, if you use it as a metric to measure your performance and have a target you want to meet (that you've validated by training with it), then its important to keep using it in the race. However, race conditions can be very different than training conditions. I know some folks who swear by cadence in tracking/maintaining run performance. If you have been using it in training and you find it useful in order to help you maintain pace without starting too fast or too slow, then keep using it.
For me, in the past, I've used all kinds of metrics during training but have never bothered to track during a race. The addition of adrenaline, peer pressure and other intangibles on race day tend to throw off any plan I've ever tried to use. Of course, this causes me to tend to start too fast and blow up at the end of a race. Or operate at 120% for a race and need months to recover after.

HK, all,
Did a little more research. USAT rules say no iphones on bike. Seems to originate from they don't want it to be a distraction while riding (talking, texting, music). However, various posts by Race Directors and others seem to indicate that the enforcement of said rule varies from race to race. Most are in agreement that a phone in a bento box, or bag for emergencies is a prudent thing to have. Most also agree that if they see one mounted on handlebars for use as a bike computer or GPS they wouldn't care unless they then saw someone talking on it on the course. So, if you want to use a smartphone on your bike for bike reasons, I'd email your Race Director for clarification on each race.
r/
Mike
2015-02-21 6:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for all the answers Mike! Much appreciated. I had read that keeping high cadence on bike = happier legs, I was just wondering if it's something triathlete track on their run. My plan focuses on tracking my heart rate so I'll just stick to that. And for the phone, I'll check race by race and great idea to keep the phone in bento. I would have left it in the car!

Edited by HK8 2015-02-21 6:54 AM
2015-02-21 1:15 PM

Subject: RE: Why not "Tri"? - Closed
I'm in sticker shock looking at bikes. What are the reasons why I shouldn't just get a schwinn at walmart?

2015-02-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: scotthuling

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
I felt the same way last year. I bought a Vilano online through Amazon for under $300 last year and started riding. I read lots of reviews and it was a recommended bike for under $500. For just starting in doing a tri, it was a great bike. After I did a race and started training more, I knew it was something I wanted to do. I upgraded to a Kestrel carbon bike for under $2000. There is a night and day difference between the two bikes when it comes to gearing and handling. I got the Kestrel from bikesdirect.com.
2015-02-21 1:56 PM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
FIRST TRI EXPERIENCE

For those of you wanting a good laugh, let me tell you about my first experience at a sprint tri. During my last tour in Iraq, I convinced myself I wanted to do a tri when I returned. It took a few years, but I finally made up my mind and registered for the Boerne Tiny Texan. It was an 800 m open water swim, 15 mile bike along a hilly route, and a 3 mile run. I started swimming in a pool, which was comparable to watching a rock with legs kick. Riding my bike on roads and the trainer. I thought I was ready to go. After all, as a Soldier I was surely fit and could knock this thing out.

I put on my goggles, stood in the water and waited for the start. It was my first open water swim. I'm sure you can imagine what happened. After about 100 m, I was out of breath and was keeping my head out of the water. All the men passed me. Then the wave of women came next. I spent the next half hour kicking my way around the course. Upon exiting the water, my shoulders and legs were whipped. Off to transition I went.

I grabbed my bike and headed out. The course was hilly and I felt I was doing well. I caught a few people. Probably because their mountain bikes were not shifting gears. I came off the bike with wooden legs. I put on my running shoes and walked to the start of the run route. It was only 3 miles. I used to do that in my sleep for Army physical training. I took off running and had to walk after about 50 m into it. My legs just had nothing left. I love the fact that our ages were marked on our calves. Especially when the two oldest men in the race passed me as I was walking. They were 74 and 70. I continued to walk/run the 3 miles to finish the race. When I approached the finish line, it was like a breath of fresh, cool air washed over me. I felt great. Right then I decided I wanted to do another. I went home and registered for my next race.

What did I learn from the race? Train harder. And I still need to work on my swim. I need to get some open water swim time. It is a bit unnerving not having the security of being able to touch bottom and the limited visibility. I thought I could handle it, but reality had its say. Have fun. The atmosphere was great and everyone was all smiles. There is something about just finishing; knowing that some are just afraid to even try it.

2015-02-21 3:07 PM

Originally posted by adalt2

I felt the same way last year. I bought a Vilano online through Amazon for under $300 last year and started riding. I read lots of reviews and it was a recommended bike for under $500. For just starting in doing a tri, it was a great bike. After I did a race and started training more, I knew it was something I wanted to do. I upgraded to a Kestrel carbon bike for under $2000. There is a night and day difference between the two bikes when it comes to gearing and handling. I got the Kestrel from bikesdirect.com.

I had that vilano in my shopping cart at amazon but I just walked out of walmart with a schwinn varsity for less than 200. If I ever advance to the point that it feels inferior, then I'll upgrade but right now I'd say my equipment is better than me.

EDIT: what closed the deal? NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED

Edited by scotthuling 2015-02-21 3:12 PM
2015-02-21 4:45 PM
in reply to: scotthuling

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Hi all,

Did my first brick of the year this morning and it wore me out for the whole day. I am just starting to get my wind back. While wasted on the couch I turned on the 2012 Olympics triathlon race on youtube. Things I observed of note:

1. It seems bi-lateral breathing and good form kind of goes out the window during the swim.

2. The bikes were drafting each other hard core. I didn't think this was allowed.

3. Bikes were of a classic road bike style. Steel frames and spoked wheels. Few aero bars.

4. The Americans need some improvement on the international stage.

Those of you that have raced before do you have any comments on 1. or 2.?
2015-02-21 6:41 PM
in reply to: #5081610

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Scott,
Regarding a bike. I did my first half dozen triathlons on a walmart mountain bike. For your first races, there is no reason not to use a bike that is more affordable (this is just a hobby after all). The biggest downside to a big-box store bike, is the inability to upgrade the parts. It will be heavier than a bike-shop bike and you'll have a hard time making any adjustments to it. That being said, you may not need to do anything to it for a while, so it should serve you well to start. Craigslist and Ebay are great places to find bikes as well. You do need to know what size frame will fit you, which means a trip to a bike shop, but once you know its fairly easy to find triathletes who are thinning their herd as they chase the newest, bestest bike frame.

Rock,
Olympic rules are different that USAT and IM rules. Drafting is legal. As for the swim, form does tend to go out the window during the first minutes of a mass-start swim. Its a bit of a flail, hence the term "washing machine" for this part. Bi-lateral breathing is helpful though, as you can switch sides if you have to much activity on one side or if you have waves coming from the side you normally breathe.

2015-02-22 3:13 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Well watching the 2012 Olympics yesterday gave me some inspiration to try some things I saw in the pool today. I tried a few laps breathing every other stroke on one side for one lap and breathing every other stroke on the other side for the return lap. Then a few laps more traditional with bi-lateral breathing every third stroke. Towards the end of a traditional bi-lateral set when I was really gassed I would switch the breathing to every other stroke on one side to finish the set. The added oxygen with breathing every other stroke gave me much more speed and shortened my recovery time between sets.

Is this a bad approach? Am I screwing up my training and building bad habits?

2015-02-22 8:04 PM
in reply to: #5095096

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Rock,
I don't see any bad habits there. Being able to comfortably breathe on both sides is a good tool in case you need it without screwing up your stroke. Whatever method you use to do so is going to be a good thing. Most people are more comfortable breathing on just their dominate side. During your race, you will likely stick to a particular side because it'll feel more natural. I wouldn't try to force doing bilateral during a race unless you have developed your stroke so well for bilat except for when you need to use it. I think I rambled a little there...sorry. My point, your training technique sounds like a good technique to me.
2015-02-23 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5095297

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Well I got some high altitude training in these week. I was out snowboarding in Colorado and at Breckinridge if you want to get to the peak you have to hike it. Well about 20 minutes later and 13k feet I made it. It was horrible but well worth it I had waist deep powder and the satisfaction of doing the hike twice.
2015-02-23 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Slides
You can log that as "cross training".

Edited by mikerunkle 2015-02-24 8:29 AM
2015-02-23 6:43 PM

Thanks!

My name is Mara and I live in MA and just sign up for my first Sprint triathlon for July 11 @ Amesbury Dam Triathlon. I am doing this for a challenge and for my son who looks up to his mother . I am new to all this. I currently go to spinning classes and do well and planning on buying a cheap bike in Amazon. Any recommendations?? I am excited to read others messages as it will help with questions that may arise.

Mara

2015-02-23 6:49 PM

Subject: Watch Heart Rate Monitor with strap
I have been trying to figure out what is the most affordable HRM with strap watch. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much money on one.

Thanks,

Mara
2015-02-23 8:49 PM
in reply to: #5095586

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I love my Garmin 910 but it's pricey. I went that route due to have a bike cadences and HRM in one.
2015-02-24 7:11 AM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
Subject: RE: Watch Heart Rate Monitor with strap
I have the Polar FT7. My only complaint is the watch face is very large and is hard to read in the daylight.
2015-02-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: slides

I just bought a "mudder 6 in one sport watch" on amazon for $12. It's a strapless HRM. I'll be pleasantly surprised if works or lasts. If it doesn't, the kid in me wants a TIMEX IRONMAN
2015-02-24 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Watch Heart Rate Monitor with strap

I have been trying to figure out what is the most affordable HRM with strap watch. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much money on one.

Thanks,

Mara

Mara,
I've been using the Garmin 310 for a number of years now. It has always done everything I've needed (HRM, Cadence, etc), and because its an older model you can find them for cheap now. Recommend checking the classified boards here on BT.
r/
Mike

2015-02-24 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Thanks!

My name is Mara and I live in MA and just sign up for my first Sprint triathlon for July 11 @ Amesbury Dam Triathlon. I am doing this for a challenge and for my son who looks up to his mother . I am new to all this. I currently go to spinning classes and do well and planning on buying a cheap bike in Amazon. Any recommendations?? I am excited to read others messages as it will help with questions that may arise.

Mara

Mara,
Bike recommendations is a hard thing to do, as they can be a very personal thing and the true differences between brands are so inconsequential yet passionately argued, that its tough to find "real" info.
First, you can buy a useable bike from Walmart or other big box store and be fine to race in triathlons. You will likely not win or take home any trophies but it will serve you just fine for introduction to the sport. However, these type bikes will be heavier than a competition bike and will not be easy to upgrade parts/components due to the nature of how these mass produced bikes are assembled. But is a perfectly acceptable (and recommended) way to start. Now, if you are ready to move on from the walmart bike, the most important thing about a bike is that is its the right size for your body and you get a good fit from a reputable bike shop. What the heck does that mean?

1. Bikes are generally sized according to the downtube (tube from seat to crank), measured in centimeters. (Except at Walmart where bikes are sized by tire size..???). What size you need is very specific to your body measurements. I strongly recommend you find a local bike shop and have them do a "fit" on you, so you know what sizes you'd need to look for. They will undoubtedly try to sell you one of their bikes (they do need to pay bills), but you DO NOT need to buy a $1200 bike from them. I would try to avoid spending more than $200 on a first bike. The only way to do that is via Ebay or Craigslist or other classified ads, but you do need to know your size.

2. Once you know the frame size you are looking for, go search via that size. Try to avoid getting too caught up in the carbon fiber craze. There is nothing wrong with aluminum or steel bikes. And don't get too concerned on the difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike right now. (I can talk about that more later for those who are interested). Do pay attention to what components (gears, levers, cranks) are on the bike you find. There are two "styles" SRAM and Campagnioli (campy). They are not mix and match. SRAM is more universal but there are those who swear by Campy.

3. Once you have your bike in hand, its time to go back to the local bike shop and get a "bike fit". They will put you on your new bike and make adjustments to handlebars, seat posts and whatever else in order to truly make the bike fit to your body measurements. This will avoid pain in the future if you are trying to make your body fit an unnatural position. Any bike shop worth visiting will do a fit on any bike, even if you didn't buy it from them. You will likely have to pay for the service, but they will do it.

4. Go ride. You may find that you need another fit in a few months because your body has gotten used to the bike position and muscles/joints have relaxed or strengthened more than they were during the first fit.

Any questions so far?

r/
Mike
2015-02-24 8:59 AM

User image

Kalispell, Montana

Thanks!

Mara

Mara,
Bike recommendations is a hard thing to do, as they can be a very personal thing and the true differences between brands are so inconsequential yet passionately argued, that its tough to find "real" info.
First, you can buy a useable bike from Walmart or other big box store and be fine to race in triathlons. You will likely not win or take home any trophies but it will serve you just fine for introduction to the sport. However, these type bikes will be heavier than a competition bike and will not be easy to upgrade parts/components due to the nature of how these mass produced bikes are assembled. But is a perfectly acceptable (and recommended) way to start. Now, if you are ready to move on from the walmart bike, the most important thing about a bike is that is its the right size for your body and you get a good fit from a reputable bike shop. What the heck does that mean?

1. Bikes are generally sized according to the downtube (tube from seat to crank), measured in centimeters. (Except at Walmart where bikes are sized by tire size..???). What size you need is very specific to your body measurements. I strongly recommend you find a local bike shop and have them do a "fit" on you, so you know what sizes you'd need to look for. They will undoubtedly try to sell you one of their bikes (they do need to pay bills), but you DO NOT need to buy a $1200 bike from them. I would try to avoid spending more than $200 on a first bike. The only way to do that is via Ebay or Craigslist or other classified ads, but you do need to know your size.

2. Once you know the frame size you are looking for, go search via that size. Try to avoid getting too caught up in the carbon fiber craze. There is nothing wrong with aluminum or steel bikes. And don't get too concerned on the difference between a road bike and a triathlon bike right now. (I can talk about that more later for those who are interested). Do pay attention to what components (gears, levers, cranks) are on the bike you find. There are two "styles" SRAM and Campagnioli (campy). They are not mix and match. SRAM is more universal but there are those who swear by Campy.

3. Once you have your bike in hand, its time to go back to the local bike shop and get a "bike fit". They will put you on your new bike and make adjustments to handlebars, seat posts and whatever else in order to truly make the bike fit to your body measurements. This will avoid pain in the future if you are trying to make your body fit an unnatural position. Any bike shop worth visiting will do a fit on any bike, even if you didn't buy it from them. You will likely have to pay for the service, but they will do it.

4. Go ride. You may find that you need another fit in a few months because your body has gotten used to the bike position and muscles/joints have relaxed or strengthened more than they were during the first fit.

Any questions so far?

r/
Mike

Mike,
Your advise is very well thought out and useful. I used to work in a custom bike shop in high school and college and I would be hard pressed to find better advice for a person, not that my opinion matters much nowadays.
2015-02-24 12:07 PM

Thank you sooo much!! This information has helped a lot. Off I go to the bike shop and now I have an idea on the Heart Rate Monitor Very useful information.

2015-02-24 4:56 PM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
I and a big supporter of the local bike shop, but you can get some very good deals on amazon so i always check there first....food for thought
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Why not "Tri"? - Closed Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3

Started by AZChief
Views: 9405 Posts: 72

2015-10-15 4:35 PM Ro~

Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 33338 Posts: 1079

2015-12-30 11:15 PM 2NewKnees

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1053 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?