2015-03-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: adalt2

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Why not "Tri"? - Closed
Originally posted by adalt2

Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor

Does anyone use a heart rate monitor during training? I bought the Polar FT7 about a year ago to start tracking my progress. I have had a very hard time staying in the fat burning zone and go quickly into the cardio performance zone. Today during my work out on the bike trainer, I tried to ride with a video that was based on HR. I'm not sure how it works. Anyone got any input?

First, I hate that I can't quote when I use this BT app on my ipad...makes it hard to respond sometimes....

Ok, HR. Do a search in the forums (or just look at any given day), and you'll find a wealth of information about using HR. Most of it will contradict itself. So the answer is again, "it depends". Recent studies seem to show that HR zones are not nearly as fixed in their places and the spot where the body changes fuel usage doesn't necessarily occur exactly along Z2 and Z3 (Z4) lines. Plus, your HR zones change as your endurance levels change.
I tried to use it religiously two years ago. Made sure I stayed in Z2 or Z4 as proscribed by the workout. I found it more stressful and harder to maintain than if I just worked by feel. And I don't know that I felt any different or better. HR has very much fallen out of favor for bike workouts being replaced by Power. (another topic). HR is mainly for running now (because you can't do power). I use trainerroad for my indoor biking and use a combination of HR and perceived power as targets but don't sweat too much how accurate I am.

So, my recommendation is to use it as a guide but don't over think it.

2015-03-17 10:35 AM
in reply to: bgood85

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by bgood85

I finally got on my bike yesterday for the first time since last fall. It was an eye opening experience. I felt as though I had not cycled at all in the gym and only went 4.5 miles, including a few very small hills.

I might regret asking this, but what does everyone average in speed when cycling? I have no idea what my cadence is. I just try to stay in the lowest gear possible for as long as I can, while still keeping what is a decent speed for me. I usually average about 14 mph on my rides.

Much like groundhog day or Easter, the spring time first day on the bike after the winter trainer is a rite of passage and is always a frustrating and, as you say, eye opening experience because the shape you thought you were in after being on a trainer isn't the same as the shape you are in on the bike in the real world. Fortunately, you will catch up quickly, as the extra stress on your body is mainly form and not endurance based.
Be careful fixating on "speed" as a metric. I know this sounds contradictory, since speed relative to everyone else is kinda what the point of racing is...but speed is a hard thing to maintain and you could unwittingly overtax yourself chasing it. Meaning, if you worry about doing 15Mph and find yourself on a hill, you might spend way too much energy trying to maintain it rather than accepting a slower speed and conserving some of that energy for the rest of the race. As such, those who don't use power, try to track their cadence and keep a certain pace that way, changing gears as necessary and allowing speed to change, in order to maintain the cadence.
Also, try to remember that you should be more interested in racing yourself than how you compare to others. (unless you are being paid to race). If you want to see what others in your age group are doing, then find race results and see what average speed might be for the top racers. Each race is different but I suspect you'll find the speed for those on the podium is in the lower 20's.
2015-03-17 7:52 PM
in reply to: bgood85

User image

Chesterfield, Missouri
Originally posted by bgood85

I finally got on my bike yesterday for the first time since last fall. It was an eye opening experience. I felt as though I had not cycled at all in the gym and only went 4.5 miles, including a few very small hills.

I might regret asking this, but what does everyone average in speed when cycling? I have no idea what my cadence is. I just try to stay in the lowest gear possible for as long as I can, while still keeping what is a decent speed for me. I usually average about 14 mph on my rides.

I did my first street ride since last fall on Sunday myself. Averaged 14.1mph overall, 16.1 average moving speed. (I use a Garmin 310XT - so it's easy to get exact numbers.) That's pretty much what I was averaging last summer/fall. On group rides, and in my two tri's, I am pretty much a mid pack rider if that helps you figure out where you are probably at right now.

A quick check in from me - experiencing the worst recurrence of my Achilles tendinitis in a long time. I have not run in a week now, which feels like FOREVER! At least I have gotten in more swimming and biking than usual. Plus a little elliptical. Still hoping to run on the Lakefront trail when we visit Chicago soon.
2015-03-18 8:13 AM
in reply to: DennisF6

, Indiana
Thank you both, Mike and Dennis, for the information and advice!
2015-03-19 11:38 AM
in reply to: mikerunkle

User image

New user

seattle
I want to say thanks for that message too. I fell off my training plan and have lost motivation for several weeks. Your post makes me feel not so terrible but still a bit guilty. Guilty only because I want this so much and have invested so much in it that I should really be giving it my all...and I haven't as of late.
2015-03-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: #5081610

Hi guys I'm wondering if anyone else gets terrible lump cramps in their calves as soon as they start runnung? Last time I stopped and stretched them after five minutes which helped...but I can't do this in the race, they really are like bricks !

2015-03-19 2:59 PM
in reply to: raycytraci

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by raycytraci

I want to say thanks for that message too. I fell off my training plan and have lost motivation for several weeks. Your post makes me feel not so terrible but still a bit guilty. Guilty only because I want this so much and have invested so much in it that I should really be giving it my all...and I haven't as of late.

Traci,
You are not alone and that is actually one of the big purposes of this group. I am in the same boat and yesterday had to try and bail out of HIM Raleigh because my training is not where it needs to be and now an ill-timed trip will conflict with the race date anyway. Unfortunately I won't know until after race day if my request for refund will be approved (what kind of policy is that??)
But anyway, what usually works for me is having a countdown to race day, so that I can force myself to go do at least something when I see that number in my face. It failed me for Raleigh because I had an "out" with this trip and I think in the back of my mind I let myself use it as an excuse for a while now. Another thing that helps is to be a little flexible in your plan. If you don't feel like swimming one day, go bike or run instead. Pick a sport you would enjoy more and you'll get a better workout out of it than if you force yourself to just "get it done" when you aren't feeling it.
r/
Mike
2015-03-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: loops

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by loops

Hi guys I'm wondering if anyone else gets terrible lump cramps in their calves as soon as they start runnung? Last time I stopped and stretched them after five minutes which helped...but I can't do this in the race, they really are like bricks !

Loops, I've fixed muscles cramps two ways. 1. Lots of stretching before, during and after exercise so they get used to it, 2. Bananas. No kidding, potassium used to be touted as the reason for muscle cramps. I haven't double-checked if anyone has disproven that recently or anything, but for me a banana a day kept the cramps away. (Hydration is also a big thing to stay ahead of too).
Anyone else with any particularly good tips?
r/
Mike
2015-03-20 7:59 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by mikerunkle

Loops, I've fixed muscles cramps two ways. 1. Lots of stretching before, during and after exercise so they get used to it, 2. Bananas. No kidding, potassium used to be touted as the reason for muscle cramps. I haven't double-checked if anyone has disproven that recently or anything, but for me a banana a day kept the cramps away. (Hydration is also a big thing to stay ahead of too).
Anyone else with any particularly good tips?
r/
Mike

I've heard magnesium in combination with potassium helps and like Mike said stretching and hydration. I'd add a foam roller to the mix after your workouts.

Markus
2015-03-23 2:58 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

HI all,

I work in nutrition for the last 16 years... and confirm the magnesium/potassium combo for cramps. Also muscle cramps, fatigue and headaches can be caused by dehydration. Even a 2% drop in hydration levels can affect performance! For me discovering the Foam Roller has been amazing! I even bought a second one.  

I have a question: I'm now entering my 6th week of training. Swimming has really been the biggest discovery for me. I had never been at the pool prior to that. My time per 100 m is going down gradually which is encouraging but I was wondering how much does the wetsuit affects your performance. Looks like my first tri will be May 17th in NY state. I'm not focused on my finishing time but still want to do the best I can and I like numbers. :-)

Thanks all! 

2015-03-23 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5102100

Hi I swim better in my wetsuit due to the buoyonsy it adds.....it means my legs don't sink!

2015-03-23 3:14 PM
in reply to: #5102840

What nutrition have people tried, I've now tried several gels and they all upset my stomach , I'm not sure what to try next I can't imagine actually eating proper food whilst biking or running.
2015-03-24 10:22 AM
in reply to: HK8

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by HK8

HI all,

I work in nutrition for the last 16 years... and confirm the magnesium/potassium combo for cramps. Also muscle cramps, fatigue and headaches can be caused by dehydration. Even a 2% drop in hydration levels can affect performance! For me discovering the Foam Roller has been amazing! I even bought a second one.  

I have a question: I'm now entering my 6th week of training. Swimming has really been the biggest discovery for me. I had never been at the pool prior to that. My time per 100 m is going down gradually which is encouraging but I was wondering how much does the wetsuit affects your performance. Looks like my first tri will be May 17th in NY state. I'm not focused on my finishing time but still want to do the best I can and I like numbers. :-)

Thanks all! 

John,
Thanks for that nutrition info. As for wetsuit, it can affect you two ways. 1. It'll float your legs, so you maintain a better, more horizontal body position. 2. It can constrain your arms and thus tire you out more if you haven't practiced with it (not an issue with sleeveless suit). Most folks are much relieved/happier when their race is wetsuit legal due to the bonus of the floating legs (means you don't have to kick to keep them up, which is helpful for those with lousy kicks like 99% of triathletes). If you have a full suit (sleeves), you need to see how well they fit your arms and shoulders and recommend putting some swim time in. Be advised that pool chlorine can do a number on wetsuits. Be sure to thoroughly rinse it after any pool work.
r/
Mike
2015-03-24 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

What nutrition have people tried, I've now tried several gels and they all upset my stomach , I'm not sure what to try next I can't imagine actually eating proper food whilst biking or running.

Loops,
I've done a variety of gels (powerbar, hammer, cliff shots). I prefer the cliff. I also made my own for a little while after ordering bulk Maltodextrin powder. Somewhere in the forums are a few recipes. If packaged gels are upsetting you, you could try thinning them out with a little water (mix 2-3 up in a small water bottle).
As for solid food, you'd be surprised that it is possible to eat real food on the course. I don't mean stashing a subway sandwich in your bento box or anything, but bananas, nuts and/or granola bars can work for some. My only problem when I tried broken up granola bars was I was dehydrated and they were like chocking down blocks of sawdust.
r/
Mike
2015-03-26 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5102842

Hi again ( hope there isn't a limit to how many posts you can make!??)
I have been reading about the benefits of pulling up when cycling, does anyone know if you should tip your toes down and pull or keep your foot level and pull. When I try pointing my toes down it feels like a strain could happen on my muscle. Apparently you can prove your power when you use other muscles.
2015-03-27 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA

Hi again ( hope there isn't a limit to how many posts you can make!??)
I have been reading about the benefits of pulling up when cycling, does anyone know if you should tip your toes down and pull or keep your foot level and pull. When I try pointing my toes down it feels like a strain could happen on my muscle. Apparently you can prove your power when you use other muscles.

Loops,
Another good question and like seemingly everything in this sport, a contentious one. In theory, having a smooth full circle pedal stroke should provide the most amount of power per revolution and is thus advocated by a majority of people. This is manifested by folks insisting on doing one leg drills on the bike in order to make you "pull" on the pedal and develop a smooth rotation.
However, physiology doesn't really support the belief on the benefit or need for the full rotational stroke. You can find a number of good articles about this here and on ST, but in a nutshell (based on what I remember from the article), the muscles used to "pull" on a pedal are so small and fairly insignificant compared to the muscles used to push that you really aren't gaining that much more power. The real advantage is to smooth out your pedal stroke so you don't bounce or rock back and forth, but the vast majority of your actual power comes only from the "push" or down stroke.
So in my opinion, you should do one-leg drills and focus on full stroke only to make you more stable and not rock left-right when you pedal but don't sweat how much power or effort you put into the "pull", as it really is insignificant compared to the "push" you are doing with your other leg at the same time.
Keep asking questions. You've got good ones (and ones that I'm sure everyone has). There is no limit.

2015-03-31 11:06 AM

User image

Hi Everyone, this week is a "rest week" for me, good time to ask you guys a few questions.

- SWIM: I've been watching YouTube videos to improve. I use hand paddles, I get a good shoulder burn and can't really do more than 100m with them.  I like the pull-boy, makes me focus on my body positon and catch my breath a bit... What do you think of fins? I see many people use them (in the fast lanes). I'd like your opinion. 

- BIKE: Still training indoor. I've been averaging 50 miles a week. For the last two weeks when I bike more than 45 minutes I get numb crouch. Any advice? Also I checked and some of the races I plan on doing don't accept using iPhone as bike computer. That kinda sucks bc I really get used to my iphone w/ wahoo sensor/app... So what do you guys use, watch or bike computer? 

2015-03-31 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by HK8

Hi Everyone, this week is a "rest week" for me, good time to ask you guys a few questions.

- SWIM: I've been watching YouTube videos to improve. I use hand paddles, I get a good shoulder burn and can't really do more than 100m with them.  I like the pull-boy, makes me focus on my body positon and catch my breath a bit... What do you think of fins? I see many people use them (in the fast lanes). I'd like your opinion. 

- BIKE: Still training indoor. I've been averaging 50 miles a week. For the last two weeks when I bike more than 45 minutes I get numb crouch. Any advice? Also I checked and some of the races I plan on doing don't accept using iPhone as bike computer. That kinda sucks bc I really get used to my iphone w/ wahoo sensor/app... So what do you guys use, watch or bike computer? 

HK,
A couple of thoughts. 1. For your swim, you shouldn't feel the burn in your shoulders. Its very common to do so, but if you are pulling efficiently you should be feeling it in your lats. If you are using your shoulders too much you risk shoulder injury and that takes forever to heal. Using fins for a kick workout is fine and will help keep you from feeling like you are going backward in a kick drill. But don't do wear them all of the time, just for kick specific drills.
For the bike numbness, it is also common and will improve with time or you should take a look at a different saddle that changes where you might feel pressure. I use an Adamo saddle that I prefer over anything else I've ever used.
2015-03-31 2:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Thanks for the quick answers. For the shoulders, where in my form do you think the problem comes from? do you think I reach too far in front of me? Now that you mention it, I realized that I do feel more pain in my shoulders than any where else. And for the drills, the plan I selected really doesn't give me any specifics on what to do. I just alternate: paddle, freestyle, pullboy, freestyle... is that ok? 

Edited by HK8 2015-03-31 2:48 PM
2015-04-01 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by HK8

Thanks for the quick answers. For the shoulders, where in my form do you think the problem comes from? do you think I reach too far in front of me? Now that you mention it, I realized that I do feel more pain in my shoulders than any where else. And for the drills, the plan I selected really doesn't give me any specifics on what to do. I just alternate: paddle, freestyle, pullboy, freestyle... is that ok? 

HK,
Second question first: anything you do to get yards in the pool is a good thing, so alternate your laps as you need to keep your interest in the workout. Paddles with and without pull buoys, kickboards with fins, regular freestyle, sprints, one arm drills, etc.
For first, trying to analyze your stroke while sitting here at my desk is a hard thing to do, but from my own workouts and spotty memory, shoulder use comes from what your arm is doing during the pull (when underwater). I suspect you may be bending your arm too much, or pulling too wide or too close to your body (crossing centerline). For your underwater pull, imagine pulling yourself up and over a log. (which everyone does all the time, I'm sure. I don't know why that seems to be the analogy people have used over the years.) But the point is to keep some extension in your arm so the force comes from doing more of a Lat Pull Down than an arm rotation.
r/
Mike
2015-04-01 8:23 AM

User image

Great Mike! I'm heading out now to apply all this. Pulling over a log... totally makes sense for me being Canadian living in the woods... :-)

2015-04-04 3:52 AM
in reply to: #5081610

Hi
I did a sprint Tri last Sunday and was horrified to find that the 5 k run felt really hard, think I might be kidding myself about this HIM in 2 months. I've been running 3 times a week apart from a couple of injury weeks, and I'm up to 9 miles for my long run though I am really a plodder rather than a runner. Should I pull out do you think? My swim and bike were fine.
2015-04-04 2:47 PM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
I felt the same way last year when I did my first sprint tri. I was smoked from the swim, pushed my way through the bike, and then about died on the run. Prior to my 2nd race, I did a brick workout about once a week. The result was amazing. When I got off of my bike, my legs felt good. I wasn't running 7 minute miles, but I ran the race and felt good.
2015-04-04 7:54 PM
in reply to: #5106019

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Loops,
It is very common for a run that you think is going to be "easy" because you've trained that distance, to feel awful during a triathlon. One way to fight this is to be very careful about your pacing for the swim and bike. Typically, one essentially burns all of their energy and effort on the bike and find they have nothing left for the run. Here is another trick for a run, especially a HIM or IM. I forget who this is named for, but you do something called 5 to 1, or 5 to 2. This is where you run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 (or 2). The trick is to start doing this immediately at the beginning of the running race. You won't feel like you have to at first, but if you start this way typically you can keep it going for the whole race. As opposed to only trying to do it half way through a race after you are already tired. You will find that during your 5 minute runs, you will run at a pace higher than a pace you'd normally run, so the fast/slow thing actually balances out and you still run a competitive race. I played with this a few years ago and found that for runs over about 10 miles, I was actually faster than if I tried to run the whole thing at a constant pace (which I never did, as I slowed down over the course of the run) That being said, I would recommend you NOT drop out of the HIM just because you are worried about the run. You can walk, stop, rest as much as you'd like during the run, so given the effort you've put in to date (both training and money spent), try to enjoy the race and be proud of the accomlishment regardless of pace.
2015-04-08 4:27 PM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
Mike,
I have a question about recommended tire pressures. I was doing some reading and now I am really confused. I have 23mm tires with a recommended max of 110 psi. I used the http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.htmlto see what was recommended. It seems low for my front at 88 psi and 136 on the rear. Is there something I'm not getting here?

John
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Why not "Tri"? - Closed Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Anthony Tatasciore Tri with Tat -CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3

Started by AZChief
Views: 9340 Posts: 72

2015-10-15 4:35 PM Ro~

Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 33258 Posts: 1079

2015-12-30 11:15 PM 2NewKnees

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?