General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-11 12:34 PM

Subject: Question about knee pain
I've been training for about 8 months for my first triathlon in 2015 and recently started having some pain just below my right knee cap. It's not a sharp pain - just a little soarness when I run. I also feel it (worse) when I drive my truck. Maybe this is due to my leg being slightly turned to the side and lateral pressure applied to the knee while I'm driving.

Does anyone have any info or advice about this?

Thanks!

2015-01-11 1:56 PM
in reply to: 2001jeepwrangler

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Question about knee pain
*I am not a doctor, nor a sports therapist, and cannot properly diagnose your particular issue*

However.... sounds like patellar tendonitis or patellofemoral syndrome.

You may need to give the knee some rest for a while. Elevating the knee and icing it can help. This type of thing can be prevented by diligent strengthening and stretching. I like RunSmart as a resource for excercises: https://www.runsmartonline.com/live/how-to-improve-run-form.php
You also mention you've been running for 8 months - if you haven't already you may want evaluate whether or not its time for new shoes - running on worn out shoes can cause problems.
2015-01-11 3:47 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

Thanks. I'll look at that site.
2015-01-11 7:19 PM
in reply to: 2001jeepwrangler

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I find that I get similar knee pain periodically especially when I up my mileage.  My best defense against this over the years is to rotate several shoes.  I prefer a soft neutral shoe but if I put too many miles in on these my knees hurt so I rotate in some mild stability shoes each week. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about knee pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

knee pain question

Started by Raansnel
Views: 859 Posts: 4

2014-11-03 8:00 AM brigby1

Butt pain coincide with knee pain?

Started by smiletodayok
Views: 1548 Posts: 6

2012-12-18 1:58 AM smiletodayok

Running knee pain is frustrating!! Questions inside

Started by staylor36
Views: 2096 Posts: 11

2008-09-09 6:25 PM ell-in-or

knee pain - left knee, right side

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 3338 Posts: 3

2008-01-20 12:14 AM badnews

Knee Pain Question

Started by trimossy
Views: 795 Posts: 5

2006-05-15 11:08 AM kenail
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : May 21, 2010
comments : 2
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : December 28, 2009
I have a very annoying pain under my knee cap. It does not hurt when I run or ride. It hurts a lot when I swim and when I walk up or down stairs. The pain is a searing pain. Help!

date : December 19, 2008
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.
date : August 12, 2008
After about 45-60 minutes of generally light jogging I am getting shooting pain in the left side of the knee under the patella.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : January 16, 2007
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.