General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP test: how much should I adjust? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-11 10:44 PM

User image

Subject: FTP test: how much should I adjust?
Well I did an FTP test today. I screwed up and one my intervals before the 20 min test I only did 3 min all out instead of 5 minute all out. This test has me at about 25 watts higher than last month (experimenting with polarized training still and I was a little sick last time) but I think I should knock a few watts off since I screwed up. Thoughts? My legs were pretty tired since I ran 17 miles yesterday so they weren't too fresh and I'm up in the air if I should just take off 5 watts or say close enough.

Edited by Blastman 2015-01-11 10:45 PM

2015-01-11 10:58 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Subject: RE: FTP test: how much should I adjust?
I'll reply to my own thread Well after looking at my old FTP tests, the one I did isn't similar enough. Don't know what I was thinking when I did this. I should have double checked before doing it. I had 10-20 mins more of Z2 on my previous tests before doing my 20 min test + that extra 2 mins of all out. I know my FTP is higher than it was last month but I don't think it's 25 watts higher. I'll probably just bump it 10 watts or so and call it good.
2015-01-12 3:29 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
You can go through some ride files, put the power distribution in 5W bins and look for the drop off. Not great but might help.

IIWY, especially with polarized training, I would strongly consider critical power testing. IME it is more robust and attempts to account for aerobic and anaerobic improvements.

Shane
2015-01-12 5:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Blastman

Well I did an FTP test today. I screwed up and one my intervals before the 20 min test I only did 3 min all out instead of 5 minute all out. This test has me at about 25 watts higher than last month (experimenting with polarized training still and I was a little sick last time) but I think I should knock a few watts off since I screwed up. Thoughts? My legs were pretty tired since I ran 17 miles yesterday so they weren't too fresh and I'm up in the air if I should just take off 5 watts or say close enough.

Like Shane suggested, do a 5minute all out test and get a CP.

Compare it to the one you calculated using 95%, which is probably a little overstated

What was your previous 5 blow out', previous 20', current 3' blowout, and current 20' ? How much rest in between

do you have any recent ride files you 'just managed' to complete ?

2015-01-12 7:24 AM

Master
Northern IL

Whatever you do, I think it'd be best for you to figure out how to set yourself up to do well on the test. Several times now you've had things going on during or right before that may or may not have contributed some uncertain amount to not doing your best. No test method is really going to be that great if you can't figure out how to set yourself up to do them well. Doesn't have to be perfect, just reasonably well.

2015-01-12 12:24 PM

User image

You're over thinking it.  You have enough information to at least make an educated guess on your FTP.  That's really all you need.  Set your workouts, and adjust your FTP as needed based on the results.  It's really not that important to know what your FTP actually is to the exact watt...and I would wager that most people wouldn't know it anyway regardless of how much testing they do.  Unless their test is actually a 1 hour all out effort.

2015-01-12 9:29 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Blastman

Like Shane suggested, do a 5minute all out test and get a CP.

Compare it to the one you calculated using 95%, which is probably a little overstated

What was your previous 5 blow out', previous 20', current 3' blowout, and current 20' ? How much rest in between

do you have any recent ride files you 'just managed' to complete ?

I've only done two recent FTP tests.
One I'm questionable on:
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/671745082

One I did last month:
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/646903727

I normally do a slightly different one but the last time I did it, I was at a friend's house and we did the Spinervals FTP test together. I borrowed some of his DVDs and thought I got the FTP one but it was a 2x20min one instead I think. The 3 minute one I could have done longer but I was a little worn out since it was 20 secs seated/10 sec standing x 6.

Using only data from the past 6 months, my 5 min max is 295watts but my 20 min is 291 from yesterday's test. I obliviously need to do a CP5 test. The hardest ride I "just managed" was probably a 245 TSS 3 hour ride I made up: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/658991819 That one was super tough but I could of rode in Z2 afterwards for a long time. Thoughts?

2015-01-13 5:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

IMO, people that only do a 20min test, without the 5' blowout should take about 92%-93% of their 20min test (not 95)
People that do a true 5min blowout should take 95%. Most people don't truly blowout completely.

I think you are more in the first camp. That 3' effort was not that hard and you had 10' to recover from it which is ample.

By all means do the 5' test but I suspect your FTP is around 270w or 93% of that 20min test. It also cross checks with your HIM power output.

I would do a 5min test, targeting 340-350w and see how far you get. Try to really blow it out of the water.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-13 5:26 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP test: how much should I adjust? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Final FTP Bike Test Tonight!!!

Started by miami9296
Views: 1216 Posts: 6

2010-04-22 12:40 PM KathyG

FTP Testing on bike today...have question...

Started by miami9296
Views: 984 Posts: 3

2010-03-07 7:00 PM ADollar79

First good FTP test of the year

Started by newbz
Views: 1981 Posts: 10

2009-03-03 10:05 PM newbz

FTP bike test

Started by Plissken74
Views: 6542 Posts: 13

2009-01-15 1:08 PM JorgeM

FTP test on road or trainer

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1961 Posts: 17

2008-09-24 11:25 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : February 6, 2010
The correct cleat orientation and float for a rider is dependent on their individual foot, pedaling mechanics, and cleat position.

date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : January 13, 2009
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?

date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?