General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Swimmers - Keep the Faith Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-12 2:08 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Beginner Swimmers - Keep the Faith
A shout out to all the guys and gals who are starting some swim training this year.

Its can be a tough start. I started my swim training in earnest 18 months ago and struggled to pound out 25m of desperate front crawl. Today I decided to ditch my drills and swam a clean mile. Just seeing how I felt at Olympic distance. I finished the pool mile in dead on 35 minutes. With no break at all. And felt there was still something in the tank. Even after some stationary bike on Saturday and a three mile run Sunday.

My pool was busy this lunchtime and so a number of times I got a face full of water during my stroke and managed to get a few bumps from other swimmers as well as dragging up the lane rope for a while. All of this I counted a good tri training :-) Stuff like that would have phased me badly a year ago and only though getting to the pool regularly has the confidence increased.

For a good while I have been at the pool twice a week. Which is not much compared to others but the consistency, such as it is, is really paying off.

So newbie swimmers remember:

-Water confidence comes with time in the pool
-Breathing gets much easier
-Management of bad breaths and bumps start to come naturally
-Distances you used to fear become regular workouts

2015-01-12 2:16 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beginner Swimmers - Keep the Faith

Originally posted by badmo77a A shout out to all the guys and gals who are starting some swim training this year. Its can be a tough start. I started my swim training in earnest 18 months ago and struggled to pound out 25m of desperate front crawl. Today I decided to ditch my drills and swam a clean mile. Just seeing how I felt at Olympic distance. I finished the pool mile in dead on 35 minutes. With no break at all. And felt there was still something in the tank. Even after some stationary bike on Saturday and a three mile run Sunday. My pool was busy this lunchtime and so a number of times I got a face full of water during my stroke and managed to get a few bumps from other swimmers as well as dragging up the lane rope for a while. All of this I counted a good tri training :-) Stuff like that would have phased me badly a year ago and only though getting to the pool regularly has the confidence increased. For a good while I have been at the pool twice a week. Which is not much compared to others but the consistency, such as it is, is really paying off. So newbie swimmers remember: -Water confidence comes with time in the pool -Breathing gets much easier -Management of bad breaths and bumps start to come naturally -Distances you used to fear become regular workouts

x2 - it is amazing! Congrats to you! It is an awesome feeling! 

It is all about keeping at it.  And, to add to your list there is a funny thing that is hard to explain but it's about relaxing ... when i learned to relax and not fight so much breathing and all of swimming got easier! 

(I am similar, except i fully learned to swim as an adult.  The day I did the full Ironman in 2012 I nearly cried in the change tent after the swim. I had made it through the ful-ironman, mass-start swim. I was so calm and came exactly where my training predicted I would. I couldn't believe it and i was so proud of myself.  There were times that I didn't know if I would really be able to do it. Despite hours in the pool and lake.  And I did.  It didn't come easy but was worth all of the effort

2015-01-12 6:41 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

New user

Miami
Subject: RE: Beginner Swimmers - Keep the Faith
I second the fact that you need to relax and stop fighting the water. I am a very green beginner and I have only done one sprint while breast stroking and hyperventilating. When I just relaxed and "swam slow" I could finally breathe and swim more than fifty yards without gasping for air. I am trying to swim 3-4 times a week now. Sometimes I feel like an "old pro" in the pool and other times I feel like I have never swam before. Just stick with it. Some swim sessions make me what to be a duathlete and others make me want to sign up for a 70.3. Go figure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Swimmers - Keep the Faith Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beginner swimming advice from beginner swimmer :)

Started by logike30
Views: 1384 Posts: 9

2008-04-03 8:34 PM zeroviz

beginner swimmer

Started by newbie13
Views: 1163 Posts: 17

2007-09-26 11:10 PM S_Meiers

Scared Beginner Swimmer!!

Started by Braedon23
Views: 1037 Posts: 18

2006-10-18 10:21 PM wanderlust

beginner swimmer

Started by jonjon77057
Views: 940 Posts: 15

2006-08-16 12:33 PM newadventures

beginner swimmer

Started by mrironman
Views: 1064 Posts: 6

2005-11-20 6:55 PM adventuress
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
The anatomy, diagnosis and treatment of swimmer's shoulder.

date : May 22, 2012
author : Bigfuzzydoug
comments : 4
Our member shares what he has learned for beginner swimmers
date : March 18, 2012
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
What should a new swimmer focus on? This article will discuss swimming frequency, intervals, breathing and drills.

date : August 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on being a slow, beginner swimmer, swimming on your side, snorkels, private lessons and ocean swims.
date : April 3, 2006
author : gsmacleod
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.

date : March 5, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 5
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.