Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: trainer road
Originally posted by Puppetmaster

Originally posted by mchadcota2

I've been reading up on trainer road and it looks like it may not work with what I have. Maybe you folks can confirm this? I do not have a laptop. I have the ipad 2nd generation and an iphone 4. And several kindle fires that are my kids.(sure that won't work) So will I have to get a newer generation ipad in order to use trainer road?

They are still working on the new app for the Ipad. It's been about two weeks since I last asked and the answer was it was getting close. If you go to thier facebook page and ask questions, they answer pretty quick. What kind of trainer aer you using?
Joe
[/QUOTE

I will be getting the wahoo kickr very soon. Never used power before so I'm pretty excited!

2015-01-15 11:16 AM
in reply to: Nick B

Trainerroad is good stuff if you can tolerate the indoor training. Really adds quality to your bike sessions, esp if you've lacked it in the past. 

I will give a shout out to trying the FREE MaximumTrainer software that's linked on the main page; it's still early work in progress, but it works in the exact same way (less bells and whistles, and importantly, no phone app yet), and is FREE.

2015-01-15 11:22 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

nashville, Tennessee
I have always done 99% of my bike training indoors so that's what I'm used to. Since I've never used power I've never had a real guage of how much improvement I make. So the last couple of offseasons I thought I was working hard and getting significantly faster only to be disappointed when the season rolled around. So I'm hoping power will take away that unknown.
2015-01-16 2:46 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
I might have to try out this Maximum Trainer to see if it works as well as Trainer Road for me.

Would be nice to save $10 per month, but I do really like what the guys at TR have done! :D

Originally posted by yazmaster

Trainerroad is good stuff if you can tolerate the indoor training. Really adds quality to your bike sessions, esp if you've lacked it in the past. 

I will give a shout out to trying the FREE MaximumTrainer software that's linked on the main page; it's still early work in progress, but it works in the exact same way (less bells and whistles, and importantly, no phone app yet), and is FREE.

2015-01-16 9:02 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Elite

Just purchased a year...now what?  I'm going to use the sweet spot base, but I'm confused as to how to get started or what I need to do exactly.  I have a computrainer, I think I uploaded the software, have an ant stick and garmin 310.

Can someone please let me know how they got started? I don't know if I just use my computrainer in erg mode and watch the video? Do you download all the videos in your plan, or do you just write out the plan and watch the movies in sequence?

Please help...this doesn't come naturally to me.

2015-01-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Originally posted by turtlegirl

Just purchased a year...now what?  I'm going to use the sweet spot base, but I'm confused as to how to get started or what I need to do exactly.  I have a computrainer, I think I uploaded the software, have an ant stick and garmin 310.

Can someone please let me know how they got started? I don't know if I just use my computrainer in erg mode and watch the video? Do you download all the videos in your plan, or do you just write out the plan and watch the movies in sequence?

Please help...this doesn't come naturally to me.

Turtlegirl, Just purchased Trainerroad for a year? If I understand your question correctly, now that you have the software, you log into your account (build a profile), then pick a workout. It'll open a window and wait to receive signal from your cadence sensor via the ANT+ stick to start (or you could just press play on screen). Now TR itself has no video, just the graphs and numbers for your targets and what it sees you doing. If you want to watch a movie, you need to drag and drop that window (windows media player or other MP4 file) or use the "browse" button to open the video file up.
If you are using a Sufferfest video, you need to find the TR workout file for the video first, then open the sufferfest video in the TR screen. The two will synch up (and will auto-pause if you aren't pedalling).
Not sure how computrainer works with TR, going to have to defer to someone else on that one.

2015-01-16 1:01 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Master
North Alabama
I personally think it's a great setup. I've been on it for a little over a month now and don't regret setting it up at all. I feel like it gives me a great quality workout instead of a random trainer ride.

Previously, it was just a random 30-45 min workout with some random speed pieces thrown in. Nothing structured and nothing really measurable.

Now with TR, the build phases, and the virtual power, I have a structured plan, measurable gains, and a steady planned workout. I'm currently doing the Mid Volume Sustained Power plan, and will carry that over into the 12 week HIM training plan with ramped up volume.

I have mine setup with the Garmin 310xt (Speed/Cadence Sensor) and a laptop. I love it. Also, I have a tv up top that allows me to watch videos on the large screen in the process.
2015-01-16 4:16 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by dfquigley

I might have to try out this Maximum Trainer to see if it works as well as Trainer Road for me.

Would be nice to save $10 per month, but I do really like what the guys at TR have done! :D

Originally posted by yazmaster

There is a thread, (listed at the top of main training page??) for MaximumTrainer paired with the BT cycle program. It looks to be a well-used cycle build program that many have found beneficial, paired with the free MaxTrainer software.

GoldenCheetah will, apparently, also work well, for free.

This is in no way meant to take away anything from TrainerRoad - I understand it is a great program at an affordable price, and its developers have offered superb service...

Dustin - glad to see that you are well on your way to recovery!

2015-01-17 1:03 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dustin - glad to see that you are well on your way to recovery!

Thanks! :D
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trainer road Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 1512 Posts: 6

2013-02-21 10:34 AM reidweber

Trainer Road FTP testing

Started by cartman1966
Views: 4438 Posts: 22

2012-02-26 11:34 AM npearson99

Trainer...Road or TT

Started by GoGoGo
Views: 1184 Posts: 12

2010-10-18 3:04 PM running2far

Trainer & Road bike

Started by hornsfan
Views: 539 Posts: 6

2009-06-30 8:52 AM dewybuck

Kinetic Bike Trainer - Road Machine

Started by trishie
Views: 1249 Posts: 7

2009-06-13 8:17 AM firstteeth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : November 5, 2010
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.