General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Naples, Florida
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 108/215
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/31
Pre-race routine:

This was my 1st half, and I had no idea how my body (and mind) would hold up for 6 hours of exercise. I woke up in the hotel at 4am, had a couple of protein bars and a water, and packed up for the 40 minute drive to Naples. I bought an iced coffee on the way, but I didn't end up drinking much of it. My anxiety caused some stirring in my stomach.
Event warmup:

It was cold before the start. I ended up putting on my wetsuit early simply to stay warm. The walk to the beach and some dynamic stretching.
Swim
  • 38m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was interesting. Shallow for the first 75-100 yards so everyone was walking. There was much more chop than I was anticipating, by far the most I had ever swam in. Due to the waves, and my lack of OWS experience, I did a terrible job with sighting. The garmin said I swam 2552 yards vs. the 2112 in the course. Not sure if I was was that far off or not.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my sighting.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

T1 was good. I wasn't super aggressive from the beach to T1 as I was talking with fellow competitors about the swim. I could have been faster, but I wasn't going to win the race, and I wanted to enjoy the experience.

I did have issues getting my tri top on.

I would have had my shirt on under my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming from the Green Mountains of Vermont, riding these smooth and flat roads in Florida almost felt like I was cheating! Other than the changing wind which would require a gear change once in a while, I was on cruise control.

I passed nearly 50 people in the bike portion, and was only passed by 2 until mile 45 when my bladder couldn't take it anymore. I pulled off the side, and took a 3-4 minute break. I probably lost 20 spots but did get some of them back by T2.

Maybe I should learn to pee on the bike. Probably not though.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

T2 was good. Some good natured back and forth teasing about my pee stop! I didn't have a GU out, and had to dig through my bag. Like T1, I could have been significantly faster, but I was enjoying the day.

Have GU ready.
Run
  • 2h 13m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

My realistic goal was to run a 10 min/mile average for a 2:10, with a stretch of running a 1:54. Once the sun and humidity came out, I didn't have a chance. Clearly this is the area where additional work is required for me. I also had to stop at the port o'let to pee again. That took 3-4 minutes, right after T2.

Train harder on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around transition for a while, had a water, sat on the transition stool and reflected on my accomplishment. Then looked around for Jimmie Johnson, but I couldn't find him!

;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sighting in the water, peeing on the bike and run, and a weak run all took maybe 10-15 minutes off of my potential, but overall I was happy to simply finish and beat my goal of 6 hours!

Event comments:

This was my first long course race, and my first other than local sprints in Vermont. HITS did a great job. The sheriff's dept was fantastic on the bike route, and all of the volunteers were friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this series.

Last updated: 2015-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 105/215
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:10 | 56 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Overall: 75/215
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a flat and fast out and back, mostly on a bike lane of a 4 lane highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:13:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 133/215
Performance: Average
Miles 1-6.5: 3 minute run, 1 minute walk, 9:45 pace (w/pee break) Miles 6.5-13.1: 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, 10:30 pace
Course: Flat out and back, no street crossings! Great course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-01-13 11:40 AM

User image

Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Half Iron Course

2015-01-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: #5083001

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Half Iron Course

Congrats on your first HIM! Great job out there! 

2015-01-15 2:13 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Thank you. It's now been 5 days since the race, and based on how quickly I recovered, especially compared to previous experiences with marathons, I think I had a little more in me.

I guess I'll need to sign up again for next year!
2015-01-15 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5083001

User image

Master
South Florida
Awesome! Congrats on your first half? Where are you from in VT? My uncle is from Burlington area Your swim time was great! I have issues sighting all the time but you still killed it . Peeing on the bike is no big deal. If you don't care about your time or position then who cares? But...if you do, it's easy enough to do! I have many times and on the runs of IM as well The body will often feel great the first week after a big race. Give it another week before you get back to it. I have found the second week I am usually exhausted. Anyway. Congrats!!!
2015-01-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Thanks for the encouraging words!

I am just 20 minutes south of Burlington. Have you visited? Unless you are a skier, I'd recommend May through October. I wasn't super concerned with my time since this was my first HIM, and as I mentioned, I'll never be a contender, but like most of us, we want to beat ourselves. I may end up learning to pee on the bike next summer.

I have a couple of runs in this week, but due to work travel, I haven't been on the trainer or in the pool. Probably just as well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course

Started by mac3116
Views: 1888 Posts: 2

2015-01-13 3:54 PM ceilidh

Started by mac3116
Views: 1663 Posts: 1

2014-01-24 5:12 AM mac3116

Started by mac3116
Views: 1127 Posts: 1

2013-01-15 5:12 PM mac3116

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course

Started by scienceteacher
Views: 1219 Posts: 2

2012-01-09 9:48 AM larry ligouri

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Open Course

Started by larry ligouri
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2012-01-08 8:51 PM larry ligouri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : July 2, 2013
author : alicefoeller
BT talks one-on-one with HITS race director, Mark Wilson
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.