General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone use running sandals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-14 9:00 PM

User image

, Colorado
Subject: Anyone use running sandals?
Not so much for the minimalist hype that many runners like to argue about. I've been dealing with some toe pain and discomfort for a while. Basically every shoe feels too tight in my right toebox I went to a local running shop and stayed for about 2.5 hours trying on various shoes until I settled on a pair of brooks that I still don't feel quite right with. I even (stupidly) bought a custom insole that didn't help.

When I wear my sandals or walk around barefoot - I feel great. Maybe a tiny remaining big toe pain from a long day of wearing boots or shoes, but I feel so much better in them. I'm fine with all the weird looks and jokes from wearing sandals in the middle of winter, just from the comfort of it.

I know it will be a long transition to the style of running and muscle reorientation, but I think it's something I'd like to try.

Do any of you run in sandals? What kind do you run in? Even some tips to getting into it would be great

2015-01-15 6:11 AM
in reply to: MarkPalm

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Anyone use running sandals?
I'm not familiar with running sandals but as a kid and teenager did a lot of running barefoot. Our coach was very into training like the Africans and believed that barefoot running helped us develop natural strides. I still like to do it when I can (on the beach, on grass). Some of the kids I coach also prefer to train barefoot and I let them when it's safe (on grass). I've had some issues with tendinitis in various parts of my feet over the years but haven't found that heavily cushioned or motion control shoes provide any benefit--if anything, I feel better in neutral shoes without a ton of extra padding. If you are thinking about going to really minimalist or barefoot running, I suggest doing it on forgiving surfaces, starting with short distances, and gradually increasing if you have no unsual discomfort. It's not just a matter of toughening up the bottoms of your feet--the biomechanics of running in minimalist shoes or barefoot are quite different for most people, so the rest of your body also needs some time to adapt.
2015-01-15 6:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I have no experience with running sandals but I crewed for friends at an ultra two weeks ago. After day 1, both had such swollen feet that day 2 was in Teva sandals. Also, the winner of the 24 hour race wore Teva's for his 129 miles. I really don't know the ramifications but you may want to check out various ultra sites and google to see what others do and find out the good and bad.

And for what's it's worth, I've heard that Hoka and Altrua (spelling?) have wide toe boxes.
2015-01-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

You could always modify your running shoes like this guy shows, http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Shoe_Modifications

You might not need to go that extreme, but if the shoes don't work for you what do you have to lose? Give it a shot on some older running shoes, and see if you like it, and you won't be out anything.

I've had to cut the outside ankle top of my Hoka's due to rubbing on the ankle bones, and I've put screw in the soles of both my Hoka's and a pair of New Balance trail shoes for winter running. If you bought them, then they are yours to do whatever you want to
2015-01-15 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I've had issues with many shoes (of all types) where the toe box is just too narrow, or tapers at the wrong place (is every one born with bunions or something?). I've had the best luck with the Merrell Barefoot line, and the Altra brand.

There are several running sandals out there, though I don't have any personal experience with them.

2015-01-15 7:58 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

invisible shoes, or xero shoes are amazing. Get them, love them, your feet will thank you.

2015-01-15 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Which brooks did you settle on? Which other shoes were the closest to feeling all right?
I have some xero shoes - basically some molded rubber and a string. I wanted them for a super low profile sandal that I can pack anywhere. I have ran a grand total of 12 miles in them. That is enough. It does not matter how well your feet/legs are adapted to no-drop and low cushion, the first time a rogue piece of gravel hits you in a soft spot, you'll want your shoes back. Certainly, you can only run on perfectly clear surfaces or keep your eyes looking straight down or run slow enough that your foot can sense the oncoming pain and adjust...but cmon, none of that sounds fun.

I also have a pair of merrell trail gloves. They have a huge toe box, slightly more rubber underneath, and actual material in front of your toes. (Another annoying thing with the xero's is that the front of the sandal can catch on the ground and flop backwards, digging the toe thong in, not great.) Merrell makes a dress shoe as well with the same shape. I wear the merrells a lot more, but much more prefer my pseudo-minimal pure flows: plenty of squish, 4mm drop, 9oz.
2015-01-15 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by dmiller5

invisible shoes, or xero shoes are amazing. Get them, love them, your feet will thank you.

You're seriously endorsing this?

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-15 2:36 PM
2015-01-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by dmiller5

You're seriously endorsing this?

They are so comfortable to walk around in! better than flip flops because you don't have to hold them up with your toes.

2015-01-15 3:39 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Originally posted by Pink Socks I have no experience with running sandals but I crewed for friends at an ultra two weeks ago. After day 1, both had such swollen feet that day 2 was in Teva sandals. Also, the winner of the 24 hour race wore Teva's for his 129 miles. I really don't know the ramifications but you may want to check out various ultra sites and google to see what others do and find out the good and bad. And for what's it's worth, I've heard that Hoka and Altrua (spelling?) have wide toe boxes.

Atlra and yes they are pretty wide.  I can't wear zero drops but the short period I ran in them they were the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone use running sandals? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone faster using Galloway than full run? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Catcat
Views: 9593 Posts: 79

2012-09-14 4:10 PM eliwashere

running sandals??

Started by Cayenne
Views: 749 Posts: 3

2012-06-24 6:44 AM briderdt

anyone run in/used/liked/hated Zoot sneakers? Pages: 1 2

Started by BooTri
Views: 3252 Posts: 28

2012-05-25 10:09 PM bryancd

Running Sandals?

Started by krludwig
Views: 838 Posts: 2

2008-01-18 11:46 PM Big Sexy

Anyone used/using the "Be Ironfit" plan for 05/06

Started by LSD
Views: 1310 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 2:20 PM LSD
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.

date : December 4, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on how to properly kick, sculling, the 3/4 catch-up drill, hand entry mechanics and the utility of using fins, buoys, paddles and kick board. PLUS the top pool mistake.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on swim drills and improvement, kicking in a wetsuit, swimming backwards and ankle flexibility, hand entry, the pull, hip rotation and using paddles and pull buoys.