General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed Stick vs Body Glide Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-22 2:14 PM

User image

Subject: Speed Stick vs Body Glide
For what it's worth, I conducted a little experiment I wanted to share with you guys. I had been using Body Glide for the past couple of years, but it kinda irked me to pay 10 bucks for one little stick of the stuff, which I went through fairly quickly. So I decided to try something different. I accidently picked up the "wrong" Speed Stick deodorant one day. It was the "power" variety versus the "regular" one. It was kinda heavy/waxy in comparison to what I was using, and was difficult to apply. BUT one day I got to thinking, you know this stuff ain't all that much different from Body Glide. So after sitting in the bathroom closet for a month or so, I whipped it out and decided to try it in a different mode. First I did some 3-6 mile runs in it. So far so good. Then I decided to go for it, and try it biking. Well, long story short, it actually works. I've done a couple of hundred miles in the stuff and it's worked just fine. Granted it IS winter time, and typical temps have been in the 50's and 60's, but I imagine it will work in summer time as well. We'll just have to see.

I don't know if this is something that's been covered before, but on the off-chance that someone hasn't heard of this, I thought I'd just throw it out there. I mean I don't mind paying a little more for a sport-specific product, but one stick Body Glide is 10 bucks, versus a TWO pack of Speed Stick, Power, Fresh, for 3.50. We're talking at least 2/3 less. And I suspect that it will be even more, given how quickly a Body Glide stick wears out, versus the Speed Stick, which so far looks to be lasting almost twice as long. So rough initial estimate, 2 sticks of Body Glide a month, versus 1 stick of Speed Stick. It could end up being something closer to 20 bucks versus 1.75 per month.

I know this sounds a little goofy but hey, spending a bunch more than you need to on a product just cheeses me off. If you or someone you know uses a similar product for running/biking, then maybe give it a try and see if it works for you as well.

I want to re-emphasize this is Speed Stick POWER, Fresh deodorant. I tried the REGULAR too and it doesn't work. It needs a little body to work. The Power version has a waxy build-up similar to the Body Glide. The container is white and silver, with a LIME green trim. The regular is more of a forest green trim.

At the risk of chaffing butts all across America, I submit for your consideration.

2015-01-22 4:33 PM
in reply to: NewDiz

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Speed Stick vs Body Glide

Originally posted by NewDiz For what it's worth, I conducted a little experiment I wanted to share with you guys. I had been using Body Glide for the past couple of years, but it kinda irked me to pay 10 bucks for one little stick of the stuff, which I went through fairly quickly. So I decided to try something different. I accidently picked up the "wrong" Speed Stick deodorant one day. It was the "power" variety versus the "regular" one. It was kinda heavy/waxy in comparison to what I was using, and was difficult to apply. BUT one day I got to thinking, you know this stuff ain't all that much different from Body Glide. So after sitting in the bathroom closet for a month or so, I whipped it out and decided to try it in a different mode. First I did some 3-6 mile runs in it. So far so good. Then I decided to go for it, and try it biking. Well, long story short, it actually works. I've done a couple of hundred miles in the stuff and it's worked just fine. Granted it IS winter time, and typical temps have been in the 50's and 60's, but I imagine it will work in summer time as well. We'll just have to see. I don't know if this is something that's been covered before, but on the off-chance that someone hasn't heard of this, I thought I'd just throw it out there. I mean I don't mind paying a little more for a sport-specific product, but one stick Body Glide is 10 bucks, versus a TWO pack of Speed Stick, Power, Fresh, for 3.50. We're talking at least 2/3 less. And I suspect that it will be even more, given how quickly a Body Glide stick wears out, versus the Speed Stick, which so far looks to be lasting almost twice as long. So rough initial estimate, 2 sticks of Body Glide a month, versus 1 stick of Speed Stick. It could end up being something closer to 20 bucks versus 1.75 per month. I know this sounds a little goofy but hey, spending a bunch more than you need to on a product just cheeses me off. If you or someone you know uses a similar product for running/biking, then maybe give it a try and see if it works for you as well. I want to re-emphasize this is Speed Stick POWER, Fresh deodorant. I tried the REGULAR too and it doesn't work. It needs a little body to work. The Power version has a waxy build-up similar to the Body Glide. The container is white and silver, with a LIME green trim. The regular is more of a forest green trim. At the risk of chaffing butts all across America, I submit for your consideration.

Interesting!  If it doesn't work when temps heat up, at least you'll smell good, even if you have an unhappy butt.

2015-01-24 7:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

New user
Thanks for the tip. I usually spend 20 bucks on the big tub of goopy chamois cream. It lasts a long time but that sounds much more economical.

I haven't had the guts to try it for biking, but for preventing run chafing I'm now pro Aquaphor instead of body glide. 15 bucks for a giant tub vs 10 bucks for a little stick. Also can be used after to heal any unpredicted chafing as well.
2015-01-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: Quix

User image

Extreme Veteran
I used to go get the little tubs of cocoa butter cream, the stuff was basically identical to the chamois cream I was using.

Smelled better too :p
2015-01-29 12:18 PM

User image

DC
Udderly Smooth. Cheap, effective.
2015-01-29 4:54 PM

User image

Pro

I've used it as well.  you're not the only one.

2015-01-31 3:49 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Richland, Washington

Another alternative that is much cheaper than others is A&D ointment aka Diaper rash ointment. Basically just a skin protectant. I've been using it for months now and it works great. Couple bucks a tube. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed Stick vs Body Glide Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

body glide vs vasoline

Started by wbl0310
Views: 5378 Posts: 19

2010-07-11 11:02 PM tricop503

Butt Chamois vs Body Glide

Started by drtrouta
Views: 11073 Posts: 12

2009-01-18 9:09 PM jeffnboise

Please tell me about body glide....