General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Training Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-23 2:18 PM

Subject: Bike Training Advice
I am relatively new to triathlon. I am a strong runner and swimmer and did both competitively in highschool/college. I am not a great cyclist. Up until now, I've gotten away with training for the bike leg of my tri's just by doing a couple of spin classes a week. I've done reasonably well in the tri's I have done due to my run and swim background, but my bike really lets me down. I would like to do a 70.3 and become more competitive in the Olympic tri's as well. I recently joined a triathlon studio and have been coached sessions with a group on the compu trainer (it's very cold where I live so outdoor training is not an option) 2-3 times a week in order to improve my bike leg and hopefully be able to do well in a fall 70.3 (as well as in my summer tri's).

The coach at the club has me focusing on my pedal efficiency (which was initially terrible from relying on spin classes) and keeping my heart rate in the 120-130 range for the duration of the ride (1-1.5 hours) whilst I base build. I am finding the training really frustrating and I feel like I am losing fitness by doing these rides at such an easy effort. The coach wants me to keep my training in that zone for a couple more weeks before I increase the effort. I don't know whether I should stick with this or find another group or potentially find an online plan and train by myself at home. I am wondering if any experienced triathletes have a sense of whether what I am doing is good training, or a waste of time. Any advice or comments are appreciated!

2015-01-23 5:18 PM
in reply to: runningfi

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Bike Training Advice

You might very well be losing fitness. Sounds like you're an accomplished athlete with the swim/run background, so why you need this "build a base" I don't know. Was there an injury or something? Coming off a long time with no training? Building a base should include higher intensity efforts as it's a base of well rounded aerobic ability. Someone who has done nothing at all may do better by gradually building in and learning to have some sort of training load on, but that doesn't sound like you.

2015-01-24 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
It sounds to me like your coach wants you to focus a bit more on technique before moving on. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've done a bit more technique work this off season and it is making a difference in my riding. Are you only riding right now? If you are still running and swimming, you should be maintaining fitness there as well. If all else fails, talk to your coach and ask him about the rationale of the lower intensity training. Share your concerns with him about losing fitness, and if he's a good coach, he'll have some answers for you.
2015-01-24 4:33 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

Master
Northern IL

Definitely have a good talk with the coach. I'm not seeing the "technique" part. On the bike this is really not a big deal as the movement path is fixed. You learn quite a bit simply by riding a lot and riding hard. Some bits of info here and there can be helpful, but the really should not be dominating the time. If you really want to work on technique, then extend out the warm-up time some and do some things there to get some better habits in. Then do something like 5 x 5' hard with 1' easy between each. Cool down with a few minutes of easy riding after. That's about an hour of riding and has both a decent section of hard work and technique work in it.

2015-01-26 4:26 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Thanks for the advice. I am not coming off injury but I have had a break from "hard" training since the fall. I've been running, swimming and riding but only recommenced run workouts in January. Good point about talking to him - as it happens, after I posted this he did step me up and I did a tempo ride on the weekend and he encouraged me to push my watts, so that is good. I broke a sweat and feel better about myself. I think your right in that I need to just be assertive about my training and ask questions when I need to and not worry about being a cycling newbie. Thanks again for the advice.
2015-01-31 10:11 PM

Master
Northern IL

Well that's good to hear!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Training Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training schedule advice

Started by mike_martz
Views: 868 Posts: 6

2009-07-13 8:41 PM mike_martz

Reworking IMAZ last three weekends of training - Need advice

Started by Lance26.2
Views: 1043 Posts: 10

2008-10-16 4:56 PM tjfry

Going to Kona on vacation and would like some advice on training

Started by trihardathena
Views: 792 Posts: 3

2008-03-21 9:46 PM kinaiahi

Training Advice Please!

Started by ssheahan
Views: 667 Posts: 3

2007-11-12 6:14 AM gsmacleod

IM long bike/run training advice

Started by jo-tris
Views: 1605 Posts: 11

2006-11-22 1:51 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : January 8, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.