General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extending a training plan??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-23 7:00 PM

Wollongong, New South Wales
Subject: Extending a training plan???
Needing some advice on working with a training plan. I have just bought a book with a 16 week training plan to get me in condition for a half ironman. As I read the workout I got a bit scared but thats another story

My question though, is if my probable event is in October do I just wait for 16 weeks out an start hen and just continue on with normal training till then or do I do the first 8 weeks as thats the base and then repeat it, sort of doesn't make sense. Do I start no an then just keep with the last couple of weeks.

I've done two sprints recently with another in March, so not a lot of experience and none with training to a formal plan.

Thanks

Manno

2015-01-23 7:33 PM
in reply to: manno

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Extending a training plan???
It really depends on your fitness background and goals, but I can see a couple of options here....

If you say you read the workouts and got scared, it sounds like the plan is pretty ambitious/ a big stretch for you. In that case, you could start with a plan for a shorter race (Olympic Distance would make sense), maybe do an Oly as a buildup race, then start the HIM plan when you have a better base.

Another option would be to look at what is scaring you about the workouts. Is it mainly the swim sets? Run distance? Bike distance? Choose your main weakness and really focus on it for the next few months (while maintaining fitness and maybe gradually building volume in the other areas) before starting the HIM plan.

Another idea, if you are comfortable with the early weeks of the HIM plan but feel like it progresses too quickly in volume or intensity, is to do some or all weeks (maybe not the recovery weeks) of the plan twice. This sounds odd, but I have done it with some success a couple of times, mainly with single sport focused plans like "Eight Weeks to a Faster 1500m" (swim). Maybe it's my age (I'm 45) but I often find pre-packaged plans progress too quickly for my body to adapt and performance to improve. Doing the week twice enables that to happen a bit better. I also find it helps develop a better sense of pacing, since you end up doing every workout twice and learn how to control your effort to finish the whole workout at goal pace.
2015-01-23 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

My opinion...

Being a slave to a regimented training plan for a long period of time can be mentally taxing.

Just do something to stay fit and active.  Do some shorter more intense stuff until 16 weeks out and then lock yourself into the 70.3/HIM training plan.

2015-01-23 11:35 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Thanks for the thoughts.

Not really scared just becomes a bit real when its written down and you are going to commit to it

Think theres food for thought from both of your points.

Cheers

Manno.
2015-01-24 5:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by manno

Needing some advice on working with a training plan. I have just bought a book with a 16 week training plan to get me in condition for a half ironman. As I read the workout I got a bit scared but thats another story

My question though, is if my probable event is in October do I just wait for 16 weeks out an start hen and just continue on with normal training till then or do I do the first 8 weeks as thats the base and then repeat it, sort of doesn't make sense. Do I start no an then just keep with the last couple of weeks.

I've done two sprints recently with another in March, so not a lot of experience and none with training to a formal plan.

Thanks

Manno

Without the specifics of your plan it's hard to tell but consider this and look over your plan again

Often plans are made in "blocks". Within the block there is often a progression of effort sometimes by time or by intensity. So it may for example on the bike have you doing 8' intervals at threshold, next week 9', next week 10....

But often these blocks are broken to extend for say 8 to 10 weeks. That's because they are trying to achieve some specific type of work. So maybe they will work for 8 weeks on VO2, then 8 weeks on threshold, then more tempo-ish type work. It's not always a clear cut, there is often some type of transition from one block to another.

Very often these blocks get more and more specific to race pace as race gets closer. For HIM, more VO2 type work further from the race, temposih work closer.

The reason they are broken into 8 to 10 week blocks is this is when you get maximum adaptation to the block. After 12-13...weeks you may start seeing less benefit. It's time to change the stimulus.

So the danger of taking the first block and doing it twice is you may be getting incremental load and intensity for the 8 weeks, then you drop back to the beginning, and you are doing the same tyoe of work over again, hence not improving as much as you could.

Does this make sense ? But again, this depends on the plan.

One possibility is to look at your weakness and focus on it before the plan starts.
Or build up some more volume in one specific area, such as running or swimming.

The nice thing about a plan that starts 16 weeks before October is it gives you the time to build up to being able to start the plan :-)
2015-01-24 6:15 AM
in reply to: #5086553

Thanks, the plan is Mr Finks for the HIM. He pretty much makes the point about needing to up the stimuli to get improvement rather than plateau.
As its based on hr zone training, does the increased impact keep going cause as you improve you push harder to get in those zones? Not sure that even made sense to me

2015-01-24 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by manno

Thanks, the plan is Mr Finks for the HIM. He pretty much makes the point about needing to up the stimuli to get improvement rather than plateau.
As its based on hr zone training, does the increased impact keep going cause as you improve you push harder to get in those zones? Not sure that even made sense to me

I don't know the detail of Finks, but in general you are trying to increase load. Load has a component of time and intensity. So to achieve the same load you go go easier for longer, or harder for shorter time, or a mix

To stay conceptual, say 1hr at 100% effort may be the same load as 2hr at 70%. But that 1hr effort will cause different types of changes in your body than that 2h effort. But it's the same load. Different intensities do different things.

So over time you do want to increase load, but you also want to change how that load is made up. How the load is made up is what gets more specific to the race you are doing.

A simple example is Jorge's training plan for bikes that you can find here on BT. The load increases week to week, but on top of that the beginning of the plan works VO2, then moves more towards threshold and in a HIM plan would probably move to more tempo work. That is just an example.

I suspect Fink does increase load and the mix of intensities, but I don't know for sure, I have not seen the plan.

2015-01-24 6:11 PM
in reply to: #5086653

Thanks for putting that together Marceg. I get what you are saying. Think I know where I am going now. Thanks everyone: :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Extending a training plan??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Extending a Running Plan ( 10-K into a 15 K)

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 733 Posts: 7

2010-11-02 4:49 PM ditchdoc

Extending My Training Plan Through the Season - Need Advice

Started by trinigen
Views: 971 Posts: 2

2010-07-01 4:02 PM tjdave

Extended training breaks...

Started by CindyK
Views: 690 Posts: 7

2005-11-06 10:55 PM phoenixazul

Opinions for extending/modifying Oly training plan

Started by HookedOnTri
Views: 946 Posts: 4

2004-11-24 12:06 PM Whizzer

Extending a training schedule

Started by Reiley
Views: 690 Posts: 3

2004-07-22 6:09 PM Reiley
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : July 19, 2009
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.