General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Question for 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-24 7:04 AM

Subject: Bike Question for 70.3
Hello all,

I have a quick question. I'm training for Raleigh 70.3 in May so I'm just getting in to my training. Well, being from NC, I'm a baby when it comes to the cold and I hate riding outside so I've been on my trainer a lot.

The longer weekend rides that are "foundation rides" seem to call for just spinning. Should I use trainer workouts for them like tempo and speed workouts if I"m already doing similar things other days of the week?

I'm trying to hit spin class at least once/week for the first few weeks but I"m just wondering on my trainer in my house, how effective is googling trainer workouts and doing them for an hour or 1.5 hours instead of just spinning.

Thanks!

2015-01-24 7:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bike Question for 70.3
Normally if I do a longish ride on the trainer (and I do quite a few, due to things like heat, traffic, time committments, and sometimes just being too lazy to get up super-early before it gets super-hot), I generally do some kind of structured workout. If not, it tends to get deathly dull and, once you've developed the endurance to pedal for a few hours, of questionable training benefit. If you have a heart rate monitor, you can do the long rides from Jorge's winter bike program on this site--they range from 90 minutes to 3:30, and you can always extend them if needed with longer warmups/ cool downs. I've done them outdoors as well as on the trainer and can attest that they provide a really vigorous workout that will have you well-prepared for a HIM ride. The only caveat would be that you'd be riding at HIM race effort and sometimes harder for quite a high % of the ride, so doing a brick run after can be very taxing and you'll need to make sure you get sufficient recovery after, especially if you do it as a bike-run brick (you might want to run first on some weeks). I normally do only swimming the next day in order to recover.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-01-24 7:15 AM
2015-01-24 7:58 AM
in reply to: RDUrunner

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm doing all my rides on the trainer for GCT 70.3 in May.  I'm on a base plan right now for a few more weeks.  My weekday rides have a little structure of intensity.  However, the long rides (2-2.5 hours) are just spinning.  In the build and peak phase my long rides will have some structure.  Like 3x20 minutes at Z3.

2015-01-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: RDUrunner

User image

, North Carolina
I don't know that there is necessarily a magic workout for what you are trying to achieve. If you train with a hear rate monitor, you can use that and find a workout that mixes up the zones you work in. I don't think I would mindlessly just "spin" on the trainer for a couple of hours, as you probably wont push yourself, and will probably get bored out of your mind. Even when going for a longer "easy" ride on the weekend, just as a matter of course, you will run into some hills that would inevitably require more effort than just spinning. There are countless options to choose from on the interwebs, so just experiment and find a couple workouts that keep you interested and push you a little.
Also, if you want to really push yourself, grab a couple of The Sufferfest trainer workouts. Pounding through those will get you in pretty good shape when the weather warms up and allows you to get outside.
You have time if you are racing Raleigh 70.3, and there are plenty of groups that meet out at Jordan Lake closer to race time, and ride the course, or at least portions of it. With it being point to point, the logistics of riding the whole course takes some effort to set up.
2015-01-24 5:59 PM
in reply to: #5086657

Wollongong, New South Wales
Sufferfest if looking for a hard session.
2015-01-24 8:05 PM
in reply to: #5086773

User image

Yep. I'm in the same boat. Spending a lot of time on the spin bike at the gym because it's just too cold for me!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Question for 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

70.3 Oceanside, CA Bike Course Wheel Question

Started by schesrown
Views: 681 Posts: 4

2010-02-16 12:19 PM ChrisM

Ironman CA - Oceanside 70.3 Bike Course Question

Started by schesrown
Views: 5453 Posts: 6

2010-02-15 5:32 PM ChrisM

Bike Question, planning on competing in a 70.3 next year (Road or Tri-Bike)

Started by cecjap
Views: 1259 Posts: 5

2009-08-17 9:13 PM little_blaine

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4822 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

Kansas 70.3: road bike vs. mtn bike

Started by jcdenton2000
Views: 1729 Posts: 18

2008-06-14 6:54 PM famelec
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.