General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Workout lingo - not in glossary Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-26 4:05 PM

Subject: Workout lingo - not in glossary
Hello,

I just decided to embark on the Half Ironman journey!

I am reviewing the training plan so I understand it but I am unsure about the chainring work part of this work

out description: '60 minutes road/trainer, all small chainring work, low effort" - What does 'small chainring work mean'? Is this an "easy" gear?

Thank you so much everyone!

2015-01-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: pierce.340

User image

Subject: RE: Workout lingo - not in glossary

Originally posted by pierce.340 Hello, I just decided to embark on the Half Ironman journey! I am reviewing the training plan so I understand it but I am unsure about the chainring work part of this work out description: '60 minutes road/trainer, all small chainring work, low effort" - What does 'small chainring work mean'? Is this an "easy" gear? Thank you so much everyone!

The "chainrings" are the front gears (cogs) on your bike.  You will probably have 2, maybe 3 (also known as a "triple").  The rear is the Cassette - several cogs placed together.  

"small chainring" would refer to the smallest of the front gears, and yes is easy.  Smaller chainring will be an easier gear than the larger chainring.

On the back, smaller cog is actually harder than a larger one.  

2015-01-26 8:30 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Yes small front chain but if you have a triple use the middle one. The smallest "granny gear" would actually drive you crazy if the work out stated "60 minutes road/trainer, all small chainring work, low effort"
2015-01-28 4:02 PM
in reply to: DaveL

Thank you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Workout lingo - not in glossary Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

to workout or not to workout, that is the question

Started by jjupiter100
Views: 970 Posts: 6

2013-04-10 12:37 PM jjupiter100

Help me understand swim workout lingo

Started by dprocket
Views: 1504 Posts: 3

2013-03-05 9:30 AM dprocket

Just found the glossary!

Started by ccessex
Views: 1104 Posts: 8

2007-05-22 2:44 PM bugeater

Lets build a Glossary of terms Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Mottyl
Views: 6559 Posts: 90

2007-10-23 8:53 AM kriscrn

We need a glossary

Started by Wookiee
Views: 955 Posts: 5

2004-08-11 8:35 AM tplauche
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : November 7, 2006
author : Mottyl
comments : 15
Get with the lingo! 70.3, Mary, FOP, Bonking, LBS, Brick, Fartlek, RHR...what's it all mean? Read our Triathlon Glossary of Terms for enlightenment.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.